SaabCentral Forums banner

trip computers

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Aaron Gilbert 
#1 ·
I have a question on the trip computers for a 1989 Saab 9000. Did all the Saabs come with one or is that option. The reason I ask is my owners manual suggests I have one , but either mine does not work or there is not one installed. Is there a why to check?

Thank you Steve

#3 ·
klarking1075 said:
Assuming that things stayed the same, then the manual will cover how to operate the trip computer, even if you don't have one. The manual for my '95 CSE (previously) without trip computers gives full details on using it.

Useful for when I managed to pick one up cheap.
I just picked up the SCC, and there are no instructions in my 1991 owners manual for using it. It's fairly straightforward, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to change the units from km and km/h to miles and mph on the SCC. Can anyone enlighten me?

#4 ·
Aaron Gilbert said:
I just picked up the SCC, and there are no instructions in my 1991 owners manual for using it. It's fairly straightforward, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to change the units from km and km/h to miles and mph on the SCC. Can anyone enlighten me?
Nevermind, I found it on one of those other Saab forums. :) You hold down the top three buttons for four seconds, which will change between km/miles and also 12/24 hour mode for the clock. Cool.

#6 ·
Ok, well I have another problem. The average speed, distance to destination, and arrival time functions are not working. So it seems the unit has no input from either the speedometer or the EDU? I searched everywhere in the dash, and the only free connection is the one that plugged into my analog clock. The odd thing is, that plug has seven wires (only six used on the analog clock), but the SCC only uses five wires. I thought all 9000 were prewired for the SCC and it just plugs right in.

Anybody know what's up? I would hate to think all I did was buy myself a fancy digital clock.

#8 ·
prionailurus said:
Should be pre-wired, for swapping from analog to digital you need to trace the wiring loom back a bit, and find the other 'big' connector and use that one, tie the now unused one back so there's no confusion if you've to take the clock out for any other reason.
That's what I previously understood. However, I searched everywhere behind the dash and didn't find a thing other than unused stereo connections. One of them looks like it actually might fit, but it doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the clock location, so I assume it used to go to the EQ. Maybe that is the one and it's tied to something though... :confused:

#9 ·
Aaron Gilbert said:
That's what I previously understood. However, I searched everywhere behind the dash and didn't find a thing other than unused stereo connections. One of them looks like it actually might fit, but it doesn't seem to be long enough to reach the clock location, so I assume it used to go to the EQ. Maybe that is the one and it's tied to something though... :confused:
Well, I managed to free the mystery connector and get it to the clock. However, it's not the right plug. Not only do none of the functions work, but the SCC doesn't light up at all, including buttons (though does power on - can tell by flashlight). Using that connection, all it ever does is display SAAB. Hmm. Maybe it's just buried farther than I have found so far. Can anyone look at their SCC and tell me what colors the wires are on the large plug?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.