SaabCentral Forums banner

1991 turbo, chains and sprockets.

757 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  djtaylor 
#1 · (Edited)
Is it true that every '91 9000 turbo will have the non-hardened balance shaft and timing chain sprockets, which need to be replaced?

#3 · (Edited)
I called my shop today to make a further inquiry. I may need the water pump replaced in the near future due to a minor seepage from it's gasket. So I figure, that's one of the parts needing removed to get at the timing cover, maybe it's only a few more hours to remove the timing cover and check all the chains and sprockets.

Well, I guess not! They told me that the head and oil pan need to also come off to remove the timing cover, and there's really no time saving way to go in there and inspect things. Basically, they said they don't do this as a preventative measure or to check it. They only quoted me about $2800 to replace all the chains, sprockets, and head gasket. :shock: :shock: Considering I just paid less than that for the entire car, that seems a bit excessive. However, they did say if it's not making noise, I shouldn't worry about it. Further, they said that they have seen many of the suspect years "91/92 turbo go to the junkyard never having needed chain/sprocket replacement. My car is making some noise on a cold idle, but goes away once warmed up. I'm not sure what it is, but will be replacing the upper chain guide soon.

At this point, I'm going to track down the original owner of my car and see if he had it done. The second owner, from whom I bought it, said he didn't have it done, but was 'pretty sure' it was done just before he purchased it, around 100k miles I think. Car has 204k miles now.

#4 ·
If you're on a budget and need to deal with timing chain/balance chain issues (or just don't care about the slight added vibration) it's a very easy fix.

To deal with a noisy balance shaft chain pull the oil pan, cut the balance shaft chain, roll it out, put the oil pan back on. You *may* notice some slight vibration at or just off idle, I didn't.

To deal with a noisy timing chain buy a timing chain with a master link, remove valve cover, break old chain, attach to new chain with master link, roll new chain in, attach new chain together with master link, put valve cover back on, replace hydraulic chain tensioner on back of head, put valve cover back on.

My daily driver '91 9000t has 260,000 on it and no timing chain problems at all. The balance shafts are not needed, I run my engine hard, up to redline quite a bit.

#6 ·
rally900 said:
If you're on a budget and need to deal with timing chain/balance chain issues (or just don't care about the slight added vibration) it's a very easy fix.

To deal with a noisy balance shaft chain pull the oil pan, cut the balance shaft chain, roll it out, put the oil pan back on. You *may* notice some slight vibration at or just off idle, I didn't.

To deal with a noisy timing chain buy a timing chain with a master link, remove valve cover, break old chain, attach to new chain with master link, roll new chain in, attach new chain together with master link, put valve cover back on, replace hydraulic chain tensioner on back of head, put valve cover back on.

My daily driver '91 9000t has 260,000 on it and no timing chain problems at all. The balance shafts are not needed, I run my engine hard, up to redline quite a bit.
Thanks for the great information! I wonder why the shop didn't suggest this? Usually they are fairly forthcoming about inexpensive options... I guess I just haven't talked to the right person yet. Sure they want to make money, but hmm... not like I haven't spent thousands upon thousands of dollars there with my last 9000 over the past 10 years. :) So how many miles did your 1991 have on it when you removed the balance shaft chain? I really do love how smooth the engine is at higher RPM as compared to my old '87. Where is the 'slight' added vibration noticed the most, at idle, or up at higher RPMs?

#7 ·
Marrk said:
You can replace the chains and sprockets without taking the sump or head off. Its a bit more fiddly but certainly doable.
That's the impression I got from reading the procedure on Quasi's site. I know that good shops like to be thorough and all. But, leaving the head on seems like it can save a boatload of labor, given the average cost of a head gasket replacement. Ah well, maybe I'll just get lucky and find the original owner straight away, and he'll tell me it was already done.

#8 ·
Aaron Gilbert said:
That's the impression I got from reading the procedure on Quasi's site. I know that good shops like to be thorough and all. But, leaving the head on seems like it can save a boatload of labor, given the average cost of a head gasket replacement. Ah well, maybe I'll just get lucky and find the original owner straight away, and he'll tell me it was already done.
With the bits that you remove to take the timing cover off though, you're only the inlet manifold bolts, the 4 turbo bolts and the head bolts away from removing the head.

Why not do it as a maintenance item because you just know that 500 miles after having the timing chain done, the head gasket is going to go just to tease!! :)

David.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.