SaabCentral Forums banner

N/A '92 center and rear exhaust replacement

642 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  djtaylor 
#1 ·
My neighbor has a 2.3 '92 5-door that I occassionally get involved with (this would be one of those times).:cheesy: Both the center and rear exhaust components need to be replaced, and after getting a $500 quote, I got called over.

There are a few early 90's 9000's at my local junkyard, and given that they're looking for a "cheap fix", I figured a $50 junkyard muffler might be a possibility if I find one of them in good shape. So here's my questions....

What years/models use the same two rear exhaust components as the '92? Do the turbo cars use the same parts?

I have a cordless sawzall, so cutting through the pipe ahead of the center section joint would be easy. But once I do that, is there any way the whole thing will just pull out from the back in one piece, or am I going to have to unbolt the center to rear section joint?

Appreciate any input....

#2 · (Edited)
There is an easy way to save at least a couple hundred bucks on this project and get better performance also.
On my 92 2.3 turbo car I had a shop remove the center muffler and weld in a section of exhaust pipe eliminating this exhaust flow restricting piece leaving the end muffler to handle things. No one building a performance exhaust for any turbo car is going to include this muffler anyway. [Why did SAAB ?] So you will get improved performance, lose about 20lbs. of weight and get a slightly increased exhaust sound with the end muffler
in place[I left my stock end muffler on] The hangers for the middle muffler can be used to support the new piece of pipe The muffler guy had to fabricate one bracket to reach the new pipe. I think it cost $25 for

everthing to do this. Worked really well for me.

#3 ·
Well, the center section was complete junk, so it's already been trashed as has the rear muffler section. Keep in mind, this is a N/A motor, so gains from a hi-flow exhaust are minimal compared to a turbo motor.

So back to my question, does anyone know about the cross-compatibility between model years? Does the turbo use the same mounting, bend configuration, and in/outlet size for the two rear exhaust components?

#4 ·
rectus femoris said:
No one building a performance exhaust for any turbo car is going to include this muffler anyway. [Why did SAAB ?] So you will get improved performance, lose about 20lbs. of weight and get a slightly increased exhaust sound with the end muffler
Isn't the centre section that you're referring to the catalytic converter on that car?

David.

#6 ·
DPDISXR4Ti said:
Nope. There are two sections of exhaust BEHIND the cat'. The component directly attached to the cat' is often called the "center section".
Ok, I don't remember my '92 having two bits, only the one beyond the cat but yes, i've just looked on the EPC and see which pointless bit you mean! :)

I suppose the benefit of having several pieces is that at least you can change the bit that has rotted through, unlike my first car where the whole exhaust was one piece from manifold connection to the tailpipe.

David.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.