SaabCentral Forums banner

Leaky diff?

525 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  FruitLooPs 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the things that was apparently wrong with my car prepurchase was a leaky diff seal.

I've yet to take a look under the car myself, but It's not losing any oil onto the ground and the level is staying the same etc. I also know its previously had a leaky rocker cover seal which was spewing oil at some point which has been since replaced.

So, how much of a job am I looking at to fix it assuming it is damaged and its not residual oil? I need to do a cv boot too, so might make sense to do both at the same time huh?

I personally think its probably fine, but i'd rather know for sure - is it a known spot for 9000's to leak from?

#3 ·
Crap as in braking slave cylinder? what symptoms would I have, because my brakes are dodge at the moment in that i sometimes get the ABS light and it feels like the pedal requires a lot of pressure to apply the brakes.

And I hear its a mission to get the slave cylinder out yeah? argh :x what comes out, brake fluid? because it hasn't been dropping or is it some kind of hydraulic fluid?

#5 ·
Leaking axle seals can be fixed easily if you need to do the inner CV boots as well. If the seal isn't leaking then unless you know you have very high mileage on the seals that are there I would leave them. The seals on my 86 were good for over 200,000 km. My Aero has had one seeping seal done when the inner driver (CV) boot was done.

#6 ·
It's an auto so no clutch, auto shifts fine and doesn't appear to be leaking juice.

I do need to do one CV boot, so i'll check the deals properly when i'm there. I know the front pads are worn and will need changing soon too - hopefully that will help with the braking situation, still need to sort the random abs light issue. :suprised;

Car has 130,000km on it, so if the seals are ok i'll leave em be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.