getting a junkyard convertible top [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: getting a junkyard convertible top

Hintonjr
29th December 2006, 01:17 PM
There is a relatively new convertible top on a 1992 900 that I would like to put on my 1987 900. Someone at a upholstry shop who used to own a SAAB thought it would be easier to take the whole top. I suppose that I would separate the top from the rear spoiler and take the whole mechanical assembly in one piece. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

SteveTheFolkie
29th December 2006, 01:23 PM
agreed - taking the frame and top in one shot will be a lot better than taking the top off (as it's already been trimmed, stretched and perforated to attach it to the frame).

I can't speak for Saabs - but on VW's the rear of the top is secured to the body by a cable that runs in the "hem" of the top and in a groove in the body structure - that cable (with loops on the ends) is fastened to the body. There are then attachemnt points (where it's screwed through grommets to the body) right behind the rear windows -

Hey - you'll get a fresh headliner, frame and "horse hair" insulation layer in the process - good deal (plus you can scavange the hydraulics from the donor car - giving you spares!)

Jim Mesthene
29th December 2006, 01:34 PM
Steve's right.
The only chance you have at moving the top, is as a unit.
I've never replaced one. The dealerships always made me do the glass and upholstery, but specialty shops did the convertible tops.
The reason for this is that the tops were glued in some places. If I screwed it up, they had to eat the cost of the part ($1800 in 1988, dealer cost), because you could not remove the fabric from the frame intact (or so I was told).

Samson
29th December 2006, 02:50 PM
out of curiosity how much is that whole assemble going to cost you? I'm looking at needing a top and headliner in the near future and want to get an idea on what that might cost used.
Thanks

Dans_t16s
29th December 2006, 03:28 PM
I have just fitted a new top and would NOT recommend removing a top cover if you intend to refit it as it is glued and stapled to the frame- it is a pig to remove from the front bow and you will never get it to fit right again.
I bought a 2nd hand frame as the front bow on mine had corroded badly. I removed the front bow from the 'new' frame and fitted it to the 'old' frame. I then fitted a brand new cover.
If you are going to retro fit the entire top then the old top is stapled and glued to the body at the back only. Remove the side spoilers and remove the long metal trim strip, below the rear window / above the boot joint, and pull out the staples. Then carefully pull the glued material away from the body and it should be okay to refit.
More details of my project convertible:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91080

Dan.