Winter Tires (and rims) [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Winter Tires (and rims)

CLE Saab 9-7x Linear
22nd December 2006, 09:23 AM
Seems that the OE tires are really not that great in the snow- so the mrs. asked me to get her some snow tires!! Has anyone swapped out the OE Dunlops for any snow tires. I have been looking and for our Saab SUVs we can get the Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice or the Firestone Blizzaks--

Finding wheels (rims) is expensive because of the current size too.. best choice for winter rims (inexpensive) is Hot Wheels Revolution $84 each!!

Has anyone else swapped out the OE ultra high performance tires for winter tires?? I would appreciate any insight!!

Thanks

Abarth
23rd December 2006, 07:54 PM
I left you a privae message regarding rims.

Tim

pharden
25th December 2006, 07:56 AM
I put Pirelli snow tires on my VW touareg went down a size (235/65x17) from the factory 18" and am very pleased with the performance both in the snow and on the dry.

Dutch Rob
2nd January 2007, 08:44 AM
Hi guys,

I bought a 9-7 last week. The car is now in Phoenix and will be shipped to the Netherlands (where I live) asap. Cars and parts are considerably cheaper in the States.... ;) so I'd like to buy a set of rims an wintertires before the car ships to Holland.

All tips are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

Abarth
4th January 2007, 02:19 PM
Rob,

Tire rack.com

Tim

Saabfan334
6th December 2007, 12:31 PM
I just ditched the factory dunlop 5000's with 37k on them. Felt like banana peels with half of an inch of snow. I did the research and almost went with Goodyear Fortera Tripple Treads, but they are on national backorder. Got the WR's put on today...255/55/18. They are simply awesome. We just got about 7 inches of snow and on the way to the dealership with the dunlops I fishtailed everywhere. Was scared I would get stuck in my driveway. On the way back the roads weren't plowed and I felt like I had studs on the tires. I could stop the car hard on snow covered streets with no anti lock brakes going off...unlike before. They look sharp, have a 50k warranty, have the severe service emblem, and the best thing is that they are all season so you can leave them on all year round. I wasn't sure about this but found out they are made of harder rubber for all seasons vs just winter tires that would get chewed up if left on during summer. I would suggest these tires if this is what your looking for. I hope they last. The only think I would check into is if you plan to tow a boat or something I'm not sure what the rating on them is...they seem a little soft, but work great for me!

chiller
7th December 2007, 01:54 PM
i put the pirelli scorpions ice/snow on, i bought a set of extra OE rims, so i have 2 rims that look the same...the tires work great in the snow we got a foot of snow dumped over nite a few days ago and they worked beautifully compared to the stock dunlops

having said that if you want to get cheaper tires/rims just buy a set of the trailblazer, envoy rims and get tires in the stock tb size, they fit just fine...