Don Safety Trophy Winner [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Don Safety Trophy Winner

heavy_t
10-04-03, 04:56 AM
Does anyone know what year the 99 won the Don Safety Trophy? My car has a sticker proudly proclaiming this fact (it's a '73) :D

I wonder how long the award ran for and what other cars won it - the only other one I know of is the Lotus Elan (so someone told me). Who is Don anyway :-??

jnorris
10-04-03, 08:21 AM
Oooh a good question. I have heard of it. I think it was a European Car Safety award.

I think the following cars won it:
1968 - Vauxhall Victor
1970 and 1971 - Range Rover
1974 (and 1975 ?) - Lotus Elite
1976 - Volvo 240
1977 - Rover SD1
Early 80s - Austin metro

No idea how accurate these are - if at all but that would make yours a winner in 1972 or 1973?

Haven't a clue who Don was, but he was clearly a pretty safe bloke. :wink:

Paco
10-04-03, 10:50 AM
ROFLMAO :lol:

The words "Metro" and "safety" mentioned in the same breath :P

Wonderful, a car that leaked petrol all over the outside rear wheel on left hand bends or when parked on a camber, and rusted on the way out of the factory door :x

What a waste of space :roll: . I hit a 3 year old Metro with my Skoda when I was 17 (because he had pulled in front of me) and I actually tore the roof off it, due to rust :o

Naturally the Skoda was drivable, and soon had me running me around again.

BillJ
10-04-03, 01:15 PM
Wonderful, a car that leaked petrol all over the outside rear wheel on left hand bends
I saw an Aston Martin do this at a track day. When I approached the driver afterward the session he said "Yes, they all do it, but it's OK once it's down to about half a tank" :o

jnorris
11-04-03, 04:54 AM

Yes, this may have been the death of the Don Safety Trophy, or at least the point at which it lost all credibility!

Another surprising choice is the Vauxhall Victor. Surely there must have been safer cars available in 1968?? My father, (a man who reacts to the prospect of spending money in similar way to a vampire taking a relaxing dip in a swimming pool full of holy water and garlic) once bought one of these cars from a scrapyard as a generous yet thoughtful pressie for my mum when I was quite small and my abiding memory was of a battered, slow heap prone to breakdown. If by some miracle VLL342G is still out there, I don't wish to know. Certainly I don't recall it as being packed with safety features. I suppose that due to it's apparent inability to reach high speed and the long periods of time it spent off the road, it was very unlikely to be involved in an accident so therefore safe :wink:

TFatC
12-04-03, 05:04 AM
I LIKE those FD Vicyors :oops:
Sorry.

Rob Hill
12-04-03, 01:40 PM
I take it that the gleaming example in the picture wasn't said ex-scrapper then, jnorris? :)

WelshWizard
12-04-03, 04:34 PM
ROFLMAO :lol:

Wonderful, a car that leaked petrol all over the outside rear wheel on left hand bends or when parked on a camber, and rusted on the way out of the factory door :x

What a waste of space :roll: . I hit a 3 year old Metro with my Skoda when I was 17 (because he had pulled in front of me) and I actually tore the roof off it, due to rust :o

Naturally the Skoda was drivable, and soon had me running me around again.

Nothing wrong with the Metro :evil: :nono;

It was my first car and I loved it :D

BillJ
12-04-03, 04:37 PM
Nothing wrong with the Metro
A friend had an MG Metro and I drove it quite a few times. It was tremendous fun, even if I probably wans't really going that fast. I'm not an over-tall chap and the MG Metro is the only car I've ever driven where I felt part of the car.

nutcase
12-04-03, 04:44 PM
I'm currently bombing round in a G reg 5 door metro. Not the best but still reasonably nippy and corners suprisingly well. I've got to take it up to sheffiled in a couple of weeks. The we'll see what it's really like :)

Shame the thing is lacking in toys. Not even intermittent wipe! My aggros both had that...

BillJ
12-04-03, 04:51 PM
I've got to take it up to sheffiled in a couple of weeks. The we'll see what it's really like
I once drove the aforementioned MG Metro from Bedford to Bolton (-ish) and back. That great sporty exhaust note just the other side of a poorly-insulated tailgate (inches behind the driver's head) began to grate after a while (after less than half an hour, actually). However, I don't remember any other discomfort (which may just mean the exhaust note blocked everything out). The MG did have programmable intermittent wipe. Remember that hte Metro was lower down the range than the Allegro.

Strangely, that's the only car I've ever come across with a programable intermittent wipe. None of my 9000s ever had it. :o

heavy_t
12-04-03, 04:55 PM
My 99 doesn't even have intermittent wipe :-?

nutcase
12-04-03, 04:56 PM
I put an MG metro engine in my first Allegro. Which was then tweaked a bit. Now that was fun :) Was the Allegro higher than the metro? Both had/have model designation L. I know the maestro was the direct replacement, and the metro was supposed to displace the mini, but I would have thought that model specs would be similar.

heavy_t
12-04-03, 04:59 PM
so, about this Don Safety Trophy........ :lol: :cheesy:

BillJ
12-04-03, 05:00 PM
I put an MG metro engine in my first Allegro.
Wasn't there a 1500 Allegro with the R-series engine from the Maxi? In fact, I think there might have been a 1750 Allegro too... :-??

My assumption that the Allegro was a higher model than the Metro was based on my perception at the time that the bigger cars were further up the scale than the smaller ones. I'm pretty sure this is still the case today. You'd expect more equipment on a base-model Vectra than on a base-model Corsa. Well, I would...

kemosaabey
12-04-03, 05:05 PM
Quite fun cars! But only the MG's...

My grandad had two of the buggers. The first red one, purchased in 1982 had numerous problems, oil leaks, the infamous leaking fuel filler...Broken seat release levers, badly fitting window rubbers...Of course he never kept them long enough to discover their main weakness, terminal rot...

Quite snazzy though, with those black herringbone pattern sports seats and the co-ordinating red seatbelts and carpet :D Oh and a leather steering wheel :D :D No seriously I quite liked it!

75 horses felt pretty good, or 95 in the mental turbo version with lag that could be measured in minutes...

nutcase
12-04-03, 05:05 PM
so, about this Don Safety Trophy........ :lol: :cheesy:

Nah, this thread's been hijacked :)

To be honest, I've only ever heard of that award from this thread and one sentence in Lance Cole's 99 book. A bit befreo my time though I guess :)

And yes, there was larger engines in Aggro's (they were supposeed to replace both the 1100/1300 as well as the Maxi). But could you rev an R series to 8krpm+ without self destruction? I doubt it :D Give me an A series any day!

BillJ
12-04-03, 05:10 PM
ut could you rev an R series to 8krpm+ without self destruction? I doubt it :D Give me an A series any day!
Dunno, never tried it. I did manage to get 90mph out of my dad's 1750 Maxi, though.
Yes, the A-series was renowned for being one of the few OHV engines that thrived on high RPM. Still got my David Vizard books... 8)

BillJ
12-04-03, 05:12 PM
There was a local story about a guy who had a Mini with a 1750 R-series engine (needed a bonnet-bulge to clear the cam cover). Apparently went like stink and handled like a pregnant pig... :roll:

kemosaabey
12-04-03, 05:15 PM
My grandads had 'programmable' wipe it was called flick wipe :D Only a basic 'push button' radio too, no cassette player..

BillJ
12-04-03, 07:34 PM
To be fair (or by way of an excuse), it's contemporary with the 99 and 90... :wink:

WelshWizard
13-04-03, 03:31 AM
I put an MG metro engine in my first Allegro.
Wasn't there a 1500 Allegro with the R-series engine from the Maxi? In fact, I think there might have been a 1750 Allegro too... :-??

My assumption that the Allegro was a higher model than the Metro was based on my perception at the time that the bigger cars were further up the scale than the smaller ones. I'm pretty sure this is still the case today. You'd expect more equipment on a base-model Vectra than on a base-model Corsa. Well, I would...

1500 and 1750s were E-series, the R-series 1.6 came in the Maestro and this was quickly replaced by the Montego's 1.6 S-series about a year later.

And yes, you would expect the Vectra to have a higher spec than the Corsa - could you imagine a Vectra with a 1.0 12V engive? :o However, top flight Corsas and Vectras do share the same engine (the 1.8 ) - good job the 9-3SS 1.8t is actually a 2-litre :roll:

BillJ
13-04-03, 03:49 AM
1500 and 1750s were E-series
You learn something new every day :roll:

nutcase
13-04-03, 04:01 AM
I knew that *cough* *cough* at least I ruddy well should have :)

heavy_t
13-04-03, 06:49 AM

Fair enough, but I refuse to be drawn into a discussion about trim levels and engine options on ropey old BL cars :lol: Now I knew someone who had a beige Morris Ital 1.3, X-reg I believe - when you opened the bonnet there was just this big cavernous gap with a teeny-tiny engine hiding at the bottom.....oh **** :! :cheesy:

BillJ
13-04-03, 02:34 PM

Fair enough, but I refuse to be drawn into a discussion about trim levels and engine options on ropey old BL cars
It's not as if we're anoraks or anything... :oops:

jnorris
13-04-03, 05:07 PM
I take it that the gleaming example in the picture wasn't said ex-scrapper then, jnorris? :)

How could you tell? :wink: It was far more like this beautiful example still gracing the highways:

Munki
13-04-03, 05:30 PM
Finished in two tone primer...nice.. :cheesy:

heavy_t
13-04-03, 05:56 PM
I assume that guy dousing it in petrol is about to do us all a favour...... :wink: