Daniel's 88 SPG [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Daniel's 88 SPG

DanF.
07-12-06, 04:28 PM
.... it was Joe's idea, I swear....

I bought this car from the original owner in Raleigh, NC around Sep/Oct 2003. I liked the idea of getting a rust free car off of an older individual who wasn't one to "beat" on the car. Of course it had its share of "gremlins" and and I had to go to work on it as soon as I bought the car. Luckily they were all limited to under the hood. I'll edit this list to include all the regular parts I've replaced to date, but for now I'll just list the upgrades that I've done, or had done to the car. (I'm learning as I go.)

Under the hood:
18"x12"x3 (core) FMIC
Jak Stoll Stage 2 Fuel Chip- raised redline to 6700rpm
Swedish Dynamics Stage 3 APC
Stage 3 clutch kit (forgetting the brand right now)
33lb. injectors
3'' Magnaflow Race Cat and 3" Catback exhaust w/ Magnaflow muffler
K&N open air filter
Forge BPV (running yellow spring)

Suspension:
Intrax Springs
Bilstein Shocks (touring, not HD)
Goodyear Eagle GS/R (?) 205/55 R15

Distant Future Mods:
Pull the motor for teardown + rebuild
Lightened Flywheel
New Paint- the grey is showing it's 4ss
all new bushings (looking for a garage w/lift and a nice owner)
Bilstein HD's
3" Downpipe
Newer turbo- t3/60 or t3/t4 (something to flowmore @higher rpm)
wideband A/F gauge
whailtail
box in A-arms
new windshield
Scanwest 5-speed gearbox

and i've said too much now

http://myspace-064.vo.llnwd.net/01222/46/08/1222568064_l.jpg
http://myspace-003.vo.llnwd.net/01222/30/07/1222737003_l.jpg

IronJoe
07-12-06, 05:38 PM
Very nice.

What do you think of the 6700 RPM redline? How much boost are you running? The extensive list of mods for Jak's stage II chip scared me off buying it, so I got the Stage I instead. But I see you're still on the stock 2.0 head, intake, stock turbo, etc. Does your car run rich because of the extra fuel?

I'll hit you with more questions later ;)

philb
08-12-06, 04:16 AM
Nice car! Looks like you managed to avoid cutting the towhooks. Any cutting required for that fmic at all? Do you bother revving it to 6700rpm much? I find the power tails off around 5500.

DanF.
08-12-06, 08:29 AM
I've shot up to 6700 rpm a couple times, and i could feel the power tapering off a bit, but it sure as $hit sounds awesome. I regularly only go up to 5k max, and that's even pushing it for spirited driving.

I havent really noticed it running too rich exept at WOT in a lower rpm, it kind of bogs down. My max boost is about 20psi. It seems to hold better going up hills than on the flats.

There was a bit of cutting of the towhooks, just a small trimming of some material.

I forgot to mention that I also put the obligitory K&N filter on. (a quick 50hp, jk... sounds better)

DanF.
08-12-06, 09:07 AM
stupid snow.... now my parking brake is stuck. i can fix it, but now there's stupid snow on the ground.....

really need those snowtires

Rushtrack
12-12-06, 10:57 PM
stupid snow.... now my parking brake is stuck. i can fix it, but now there's stupid snow on the ground.....

really need those snowtires

or a nice winter car like a black 92 900....

not for sale. :cheesy:

anymore:roll:

DanF.
12-12-06, 11:53 PM
well for what its worth im getting some hakipallitas and wheels for cheap... and because i cant get the 92 900s anymore;) i'm gonna get a 91 900T, which will no doubt spin in the snow:x much more than my old 86 900s (that thing went anywhere).

the lack of power was just like having the winter assist on newer 9-3s

happy holidays

DanF.
16-12-06, 03:03 PM
my intercooler pipes keep popping off by the turbo under boost.... annoying, its happened 3 times in the last 2 days... basically everytime i drive....

double clamping next

DanF.
01-01-07, 04:09 PM
seem's my last thread was deleted??? Nope!!! im an idiot.

Anyway's... Been a busy last couple days. got the oil cooler lines replaced. Also, when the engine was pulled for the head gasket work, it seems that the gasket for the oil return line on the turbo was not seated right (new gasket) it was leaking oil, (not as bad as the oil cooler lines:cry:). The work was under warranty so I got a nice tune up for free.

The Nokia's i put on are great. i'm surprized by how much traction they have going up crappy snow covered dirt driveways. It's amazing how much a change in tread pattern will make.

Next up for the car, I'll be swapping the front seat covers with the 900T , and also swapping out the rear seats to match. (its a shame i cant just put the 91 seats into my 88, but the anchor points apparntly dont mate up. the 91 seats are buffalo grey , while that 88 is edwardian... i might as well swap out hte door panels as well, but the knee boltster may be too much of a pain for one person to swap.

I really wish i could get Reverse working on the white 91 c900T i have.... its in decent shape and i'd rather have the extra clearance in the winter, and not rust my nice bodied 88spg.

Bad News: the 2nd APC I got from SD is not functioning at all.... the first one boosted irratically and I got an exchange unit. this one doesnt work period. base boost only. I'll have to get in touch with SD, its a shame its happening over the holidays, I never seem to be around to get in touch with them.

car runs well. Unscientifically tested against a 05 ram 1500 hemi with sport exhaust, huge intake, Superchip. its pushing over 400hp and when we did our rolling start he couldnt get by me... stayed in 3rd most of the time. but it was fun.... his truck does way cooler smokeshows and burnouts.

too icey out to drive today... well drive for fun anyway

more pics soon

DanF.
01-01-07, 04:17 PM
yep.... just about nothing is the same on 1988 vs. 1991 leather seats... just so you all know.

i just spent a miserable time pulling both driver seats out to compare and try adn swap the covers. n:evil:

still peeved abouyt the SD box

philb
01-01-07, 07:26 PM
Yep, same thing happened to me with the turbo oil return. I've to tackle the job myself though. Did you notice that it didn't leak all the time?

DanF.
02-01-07, 08:14 PM
i honestly didnt konw that it was leaking:confused:

i had to get it up on a lift because there was a fair bit of oil coming from the oil cooler lines (one was bad, the other on its way out) and my mech. told me about the turbo gasket after going over ever hose and line...

made me think about the work they originally did, but at least they were helpful in doing the work under warranty. actually cost me nothing except for the lines.

it would be nice to have the kind of money to be able to replace everything at the same time. one day that scratch ticket will pay off.

sending the SD box back tomorrow.

Saab-Daniel
03-01-07, 04:35 PM
Dan, changing the kick-panel isn't a huge job, can be done in an hour or so... I've done it a million times or so (well, it seems like that, anyway), so I wouldn't let that put you off, if it was me...

Daniel.

DanF.
05-01-07, 04:08 PM
isnt gonna happen cause the seats dont mix and match . no point changing anything now:x

so i've got a 91 turbo in good shape with no 5th gear or reverse.
i'd like to put a demo. flower pot under it and see how high i can make the car fly. probably gonna sell it off.

Aussiebob
13-01-07, 05:20 AM
Dan et al,
Have recently acquired a 1988 Aero (SPG), gray, aero wheels, whaletail, fabulous car. Wanted one for 20 years. To date I have relocated the battery to the rear and fitted a K&N air filter. Interested in front mount intercooler but concerned about temperature and cooling for the radiator and the air conditioner. I live north of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and the last thing I have to concern myself about is snow. We can have daytine ambient temps upto 34deg C (94 deg F) - average across the year would be around 24 degC. Has anyone any info on front mount i/c in sub tropical climates - will air flow cool the i/c, rad and the a/c condensor.
Eventually want to build a similar powered car to yours - even have a chill-cast 4 speeder from a 99 for later on.

DanF.
24-01-07, 08:28 AM
Having boost issues.... The car pulls fantastic whenever I go up a hill, but when I pass a car or "get on it" over a flat or downhill section of roadway then the car hiccups and sometimes backfires... I'll need to check the plugs, as it was running rich for a while. The resistance at the AMM was almost 490 ohms :o not the 380ohms per Bentley. much better MPG now.

Hi, aussiebob, sorry bout the delay.

I had the car for a couple months in North Carolina, during the summer (90-110 F) and it ran great, never getting over halfway on the temp gauge, not even close actually. However, I had the aircon system removed because it had some terminal leaks, and i'd rather have the windows down.

From what I've heard when talking to Jak Stoll who had the FMIC made, I still could have had a functioning A/C system and a really good FMIC. It just made installl that much easier with the condenser (???) out. Plus, i could get a thicker (3") IC core.

DanF.
25-01-07, 09:38 AM
just got the SD APC back.... hope it works out good now. I guess there was a problem with the newer style pins fully connecting with my older style APC cable. gonna have to fiddle a bit.

On a happier note, I decided to give the car a name. Something classy of course, and all I could think of was "Sweet Sue." It is what my grandfather named his SBD Dauntless Divebomber, which he flew with great success over the Pacific Theater during WWII.

http://www.warbirdalley.com/images/sbd-06.jpg

IronJoe
25-01-07, 11:38 AM
It is what my grandfather named his SBD Dauntless Divebomber, which he flew with great success over the Pacific Theater during WWII.

Good to know our ancestors shot at eachother over the pacific ocean in the '40s.

Mine was in a Zero. mitsu evo powa!!! :cheesy:

Albert Trout
25-01-07, 12:11 PM
That's not a picture of your Grandad's actual plane is it Dan? If it is, that really is cool as ****! My Grandafther worked in the engine room of a North Atlantic Destroyer. He wasn't a big fan of divebombers. Had a thing about submarines, for some reason, as well :D

DanF.
25-01-07, 01:35 PM
Well I just drove for my 45 min. commute to school (got here 15 mins. faster than normal :cheesy: ) and I can say that the problems with my SD Stg. 2 box are much better now. The boost delivery is much smoother and holds at 20psi. I passed a 9-3 and was going much faster than i realized. hehe.

Next up....

I'm starting to look into the MSD Blaster SS E-coil that was mentioned on the site, I can't remember who posted about it ( happened today i think) but their setup is similar to mine, and they reported a very positive outcome.

the new turbo keeps getting delayed .....

Im 99.9% sure that is not the actual SBD he flew in, however, there are 5 flying examples left in the world. so......
Joe.... Joe.... Joe..... we were getting along so well. hehe Actually thats really interesting that you have that sort of history as well. Do you have any more info on where he served and whatnot? I'm trying to compile his service records for posterity. It would be cool to swap stories.

DanF.
29-01-07, 11:54 PM
http://photos-109.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v67/9/27/613020083/n613020083_47109_2460.jpg
salt makes it look slower

yes... the hakkapalittas spin like a mutha .... boost + snow equal UNDERSTEER

DanF.
06-02-07, 11:03 PM
about to pass 190,000 miles.... sniff sniff... my little girl is growing up

DanF.
13-02-07, 10:45 AM
time for a tune up.

got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter comin.

one would think this is and easy job, but since a blizzard is gonna dump a foot of snow on the ground i may have to hijack someone's garage

Aussiebob
13-02-07, 04:43 PM
time for a tune up.

got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter comin.

one would think this is and easy job, but since a blizzard is gonna dump a foot of snow on the ground i may have to hijack someone's garage
Snow!!!?? - whats that? We ahve been in a drought for the last 2 years and the skys have opened and it has been pouring rain over the last few days. Warm weather and loverly rain.
Ordered a front mount intercooler this week along with an adjustable fuel pressure reg. Cant wait.

DanF.
14-02-07, 12:56 AM
FMIC is probably the next best thing you can do after a 3" DP....
still waiting on mine... im dumb

i have snow to worry about... too much boost makes the hakkapalitas worthless

i just spun 3 miles tonight up S. Koski rd. in unity, nh... i dont feel bad naming it cause only the CIA knows about it

Aussiebob
14-02-07, 07:20 AM
Have relocated my battery and working on the new dump pipe. Cannot fit 3" so 2.5" will have to do.

DanF.
15-02-07, 06:22 PM
any pics of your new goodies?

on a horrific note. some idiot plowed his driveway snow all into the road and i slammed into it. this caused the passenger's side spg panel, in front of the tire, to pop off. now its lost:evil::evil:

the car looks hideous
im pissed

DanF.
20-02-07, 11:43 AM
I got the SPG panel back on this morning... hopefully that's the end of it falling off.

Thanks to Joe and Geoff (really nice guy) for helping me find the panel.

DanF.

DanF.
23-02-07, 06:15 PM
changed out the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. (rotor was a PITA)

hopefully that helps quell the backfiring issue

i have a new fuel filter to put in, its cold out, and im too lazy to jack the car up in my snowy driveway

DanF.
14-03-07, 07:23 PM
I changed out the water pump. Also got rid of that silly mounting plate/bracket for the A/C compressor. Thing weighed like 50 lbs. (jk) Thats gotta be worth a few hp. ha.

DanF.
02-04-07, 12:34 PM
This weekend I swapped around the CD deck with my gauges, so now i can see the road and the boost at the same time.

http://photos-201.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v74/9/27/613020083/n613020083_233201_6817.jpg

I think my BPV is shot. I'm looking into a Forge diverter valve. 006 or 007 not sure which one yet. I just dont think that even the newer uprated Bosch BPV can handle much of anything over 12-14 psi. Its made up of a spring and diaphram, vs the Forge piston and spring. Also the Bosch is sealed and not serviceable like the Forge.

DanF.
02-04-07, 10:41 PM
Just ordered the Forge Piston Diverter Valve
[FMCL007PA]. Hopefully that gets rid of the sketchy boost issue i have.

DanF.
03-04-07, 09:50 AM
Mother of god, when will the madness end? :(:roll:

So for sh!ts and giggles I decided to reverse the Bypass valve around, as I had heard on another nice forum that it works just as well, or better that way, until i get my Forge piece. :D

I swapped the BPV around, PITA, but it went together fine. As I was running the engine I spotted a drop of coolant. Found two cracks in the lower heater valve hose. They appeared small so I did what anyone else would do, I just ignored it... jk. I've wrapped them in sealing tape with a bunch of duct tape on top to make sure that they hold until the now hose arrives.

If its not one thing, its always another.

Breakin5speeds
03-04-07, 04:36 PM
SAAB = Something's Almost Always Breaking
or Something's Always About to Break

DanF.
07-04-07, 10:00 AM
Got some bling for the car.

http://photos-559.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v76/9/27/613020083/n613020083_252559_6882.jpg

DanF.
01-05-07, 10:55 AM
Not much to report on the mod front. On the the plus side, my car still starts, runs, and drives under its own power, so I cant complain.

Still trying to get a 3" DP on the cheap. I imagine I'll be waiting for a while. :roll: Gotta love college, car, apt. costs. I'll probably end up getting a second job this summer, and hate life. UPS has excellent benefits, but pays sucks when you start out there.

DanF.
16-05-07, 11:50 PM
just blew up my tranny

SteveMcqueen
17-05-07, 01:18 AM
Owch, sorry to hear that.

Saab-Daniel
17-05-07, 07:43 AM
Crap, sorry to hear that Dan...
Daniel.

IronJoe
17-05-07, 11:01 AM
Sorry Dan! But, it happens to all of us. Don't feel bad, think of it as a rite of passage.

We don't measure c900 ownership in years, we measure it in transmissions.

Just think of it as a wear item ;)

DanF.
19-05-07, 12:41 PM
haha thanks for the condolences... im about to get a 86 c900 for about 150 bucks... motor and tranny are decent... i hate the idea of putting a tranny in that's older than the original, but im screwed as far as time, money, and need of a car... karma better be nice on the other end of this one

DanF.
01-06-07, 01:23 AM
Yeah.... so, the car is still sitting in Keene at the shop. I'm not having great luck finding a parts car. I still have hope though, there is a promising lead on a 90/91 ??? c900t in good condition with a busted slave cylinder (not 100% sure though). I need to get ahold of the owner. I'm still gonna pay half as much for a whole car with a working tranny than if i go to a salvage yard and buy one. go figure.

on a side note, I've been driving my friend's newer Golf around and I gotta say that compared to my SPG, her tranny shifts like a dream. maybe one day i'll have enough kids to sell one off and get a ericsson gearbox.

DanF.
19-06-07, 02:55 PM
Ok, now I actually have some good news to report on. I bought a '90 c900t for 150 bucks, with a blown clutch line. It ran and drove fine, all gears were good. (sorry no pics with it in one piece)

I started tearing the engine bay apart today. Got 99% of intake and electrical connections unhooked. Tomorrow when I go back to the shop to work on it I'll have my camera. I plan on draining all fluids, pulling the rad. and rad. support out, all coolant hoses, fuel lines, oil lines, and see where I stand at that point. It's fecking hot working outside in the sun all day, then going to work in the evening.

It's gonna be a fun learning experience. I've never pulled an engine before. I'm pretty much breaking the donor car and giving whatever parts I don't need/want to the owner of the shop in return for a discount in the end. He's been gracious enough to let me use his tools, and tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to get the car into the shop, onto a lift.

The adventure continues......

pics tomorrow

Palmer1980
20-06-07, 01:12 AM
Good to hear!

I mean, that you found a donor car, not that you blew your transmission.

That sucks.

Anyway, have fun!

DanF.
21-06-07, 07:35 PM
Good to hear!

I mean, that you found a donor car, not that you blew your transmission.

That sucks.

Anyway, have fun!

hahahhahah

Anyways, I lied. I forgot my camera for the 3rd day in a row...

I now have the transmission seperated and its sitting on a cart. It's really dirty and i have some cleaning to do tomorrow. I'll try to find a camera.

You have no idea how miserable it was to work on with this crazy hangover. I stayed up to 5 am drinking, crashed my bike while doing zero mph, and somehow got bit by Ferro's alligator.

I might actually acomplish something tomorrow.
On a serious note, since I'm new to all this engine pulling stuff, do you have any recommendations for when I pull the guts of out my car. I don't want to feck up my car too bad, the donor car was torn to pieces when I was done with it, and it'll go to the junkyard tomorrow.

There's a nice 96 that one of the mechs is fixing up to sell. its got the v4. sounds neat.

Palmer1980
22-06-07, 12:51 AM
Hmm, let me think.

Take your time, and MARK EVERY WIRE/LINE/HOSE CLEARLY.

Mark everything. Clearly.

You will not remember.

Also, have fun.

DanF.
22-06-07, 08:17 AM
remember what??? doh....

I suppose it would help to let you konw that I haven't been drinking while doing any of this work. :roll: It's not my garage, it's an actual buisness, with real customers coming and going. So I figure it's best not to be the guy with a buzz, who's swearing at a metal brick in the corner.

DanF.
26-06-07, 11:32 AM
got the good tranny cleaned up and sitting in the shop..

took a lunch break (damn hot outside in the sun too)

my car is ready to go up on a lift, drain all fluids, disconnect all hoses, and uncouple from the driveshafts... yay

Palmer1980
26-06-07, 12:10 PM
Nice, you have acsess to a lift!

I did mine in a 1 car garage. Not so much fun.

Good luck!

DanF.
26-06-07, 04:20 PM
yeah tell me about it... as long as they dont touch my car, i dont get charged for a dime. I may require some help to get the clutch disengaged.

Palmer, did you leave your grill on the car when you did it?

Palmer1980
26-06-07, 04:34 PM
Yes, but you should take yours off just to be on the safe side. What is it, like 5 bolts?

The height of my garage, and the height of the cherry picker were REAL close to eachother, and I got a nice rasberry on the top of the grille from the oil pan.

I left the mark on there to remind me to drive nice.

Palmer1980
26-06-07, 04:39 PM
DO NOT DRAIN THE CLUTCH LINE YET.

Take the clutch cover off, and have someone press the clutch down. Get an old spark plug wire, and put it in the space between the "fingers" of the clutch spring, and the housing...

Then the clutch will come off real easy.

I did not do this, and had to shove change in the space. It took forever.
I think there is pictures of what not to do in my project thread.

If not, I'll try and find them tonight, when I get home.

DanF.
19-09-07, 10:16 PM
My car works now... its only taken about 400 years. I did save much on gass money and got in shape riding my bike everywhere.

Boosted
19-09-07, 10:35 PM
What type of transmission failure did you have? Losing gears, pinion bearing, cracked case?

DanF.
20-09-07, 09:18 PM
I dont know actually... I just swapped them out and havent really had the time to look into the bad tranny.. after it was all put back together my clutch broke, so then I had to deal with that. But as of now the car drives.

Countdown to another failure.

Boosted
20-09-07, 09:55 PM
Ok, let me rephrase. What symptons of a failing transmission were you having?

DanF.
20-09-07, 09:58 PM
It just went. kapuuut. bull in a china shop kinda deal.

Palmer1980
20-09-07, 11:06 PM
My car works now... its only taken about 400 years. I did save much on gass money and got in shape riding my bike everywhere.

Gee, that sounds familiar!

Congrats!

DanF.
22-09-07, 06:55 PM
Geez, I had a chance to really open her up today... and she's faaaaast. Totally pegged out the needle past the red zone, 23 psi on my other boost gauge, and it stayed there for as long as i didnt back off the gas. also buried the speedo and the car was still accelerating. everything felt so smooth.

EDIT:
Here's the new clutch prior to installation. Since installing it, the car feels great.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v133/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1176912_5118.jpg

DanF.
05-10-07, 04:18 PM
just ordered clear corners and clear side blinkers from genuinesaab. yipee for me.

DanF.
20-11-07, 11:00 PM
New SaabRally.com steel reinforced differential cover ordered. Post pictures when it arrives. :cheesy:

Now if the short-shifter group buy would get back in gear....

DanF.
25-11-07, 10:23 AM
Upcoming mods. list:

•Saabrally.com reinforced steel diff. cover
•short-throw shifter
•3" DP (got the Ford swing-gate, just need to have something fab'd)

I've had my clear corners and side markers on for a little bit, but i lost the pictures, and have been too lazy to get any others... maybe today.

DanF.
25-11-07, 04:24 PM
Here's how she's looking of late. Only added clear corners and clear side markers.

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1726419_8658.jpg

Here's what this side sounds like. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubh6lVxqb8c)
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1726421_9882.jpg

Matthew
25-11-07, 05:43 PM
Here's what this side sounds like. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubh6lVxqb8c)
There are owners of so many other makes of car who'd kill for a sound like that!

Looking good :cool:

VikingSpirit
25-11-07, 05:50 PM
That honestly sounds like a baby Ferrari! Sweet c900 Goddess! :cool:

DanF.
25-11-07, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I swear it sounds better than what that video shows. Maybe I should have put the camera off to the side or something.

Here's the Ford swing-gate housing that Breaking5Speeds hooked me up with on the cheap. I'll start looking for an exhaust house tomorrow to see if I can get a new 3" DP sometime this week.

Does anyone remember if there is a gasket that goes in there? Between the swinggate housing and the exhaust turbine?

Hot Stuff!!! ;)

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1728287_632.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1728288_1007.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1728289_1293.jpg

Breakin5speeds
25-11-07, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I swear it sounds better than what that video shows. Maybe I should have put the camera off to the side or something.

Here's the Ford swing-gate housing that Breaking5Speeds hooked me up with on the cheap. I'll start looking for an exhaust house tomorrow to see if I can get a new 3" DP sometime this week.

Does anyone remember if there is a gasket that goes in there? Between the swinggate housing and the exhaust turbine?

Hot Stuff!!! ;)

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1728287_632.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1728288_1007.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v150/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1728289_1293.jpg

You're welcome and NO gaskets, the swinggate bolts directly to the turbo housing, you may want to take some sandpaper laid on a perfectly flat service (mirror) and flatten the flange, or take it too a machine shop to have it done, and on the down pipe connection, no gaskets, just a flange, ford doesn't use gaskets on their downpipes as a general rule of thumb

S double-a B
25-11-07, 09:47 PM
Does the ford swing gate require a different mounting point for the wastegate actuator? Also, i assume that you will need a custom downpipe as we well?

All in all, is it cheaper/better in any way that going for the JT downpipe?

Lookin good btw ;)

DanF.
25-11-07, 09:55 PM
IIRC, the JT DP is like $250. So far I have like $10 into mine, so I think this way will be worth it just fine. :cool:

yfs87
25-11-07, 10:05 PM
Does the ford swing gate require a different mounting point for the wastegate actuator? Also, i assume that you will need a custom downpipe as we well?

All in all, is it cheaper/better in any way that going for the JT downpipe?

Lookin good btw ;)

custom...kind of, mr jak stoll can provide everything for this installation short the swinggate, which dan already has

Palmer1980
26-11-07, 12:15 AM
That sounds fantastic.

Thanks for posting that.

SaabStory60
26-11-07, 12:26 AM
Sounds sick man! What muffler is it? Can you give me some specs because I want my SPG to sound like that.

BTW nice mag:lol:

DanF.
26-11-07, 10:37 AM
Sounds sick man! What muffler is it? Can you give me some specs because I want my SPG to sound like that.

BTW nice mag:lol:

http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23814 is a good place to look, we are discussing various muffler set-ups. I give some info in my post... #7.

As for the booby mag, well what goes better than hot bodies and Saab parts.

DanF.
26-11-07, 02:25 PM
more vroom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAbwqPcO2MY). My camera mic. really stinks. Bad camera. :nono;

DanF.
04-12-07, 02:01 PM
figured I'd throw it out there.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v167/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1762866_4557.jpg

TheRedBaron
04-12-07, 02:15 PM
Great shot :D

Need to be rollin' on sixteens, though, homie - those wheels are sooooo 1988 :lol:

DanF.
13-12-07, 12:38 PM
Just got my Saabrally.com Steel dif. cover. It even came with the custom shorter bolts. Luke is the man. Thanks.

Picture.
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v161/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1836456_6645.jpgIt looks awesome, and feels like I could have swapped out my E-SAPI plate and used this when I was in Iraq.

TheRedBaron
07-01-08, 10:08 PM
The extensive list of mods for Jak's stage II chip scared me off buying it, so I got the Stage I instead.OK, I just read this quote, and it made me chuckle ;) How far your car has come, mr. joe!

Also, Dan, I just heard your exhaust in the other thread, and I'm sold.

IronJoe
07-01-08, 11:35 PM
OK, I just read this quote, and it made me chuckle ;) How far your car has come, mr. joe!

Hah! Now it's just the opposite... too many mods, Jak's chip isn't providing enough fuel!

DanF.
28-01-08, 12:31 PM
As if I didn't have enough to do already with school and work and a car perpetually in need of maintainence, now I want an old c900T motor to mess around with and rebuild as time permits. Just need to find one on the cheap... like $50 or less.

Breakin5speeds
28-01-08, 04:36 PM
Just got my Saabrally.com Steel dif. cover. It even came with the custom shorter bolts. Luke is the man. Thanks.

Picture.
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v161/9/27/613020083/n613020083_1836456_6645.jpgIt looks awesome, and feels like I could have swapped out my E-SAPI plate and used this when I was in Iraq.

NEWKIE BROWN! I love New Castle, I knew there was a reason I liked you....

I just got my diff cover too and it rocks!

DanF.
28-01-08, 05:12 PM
NEWKIE BROWN! I love New Castle, I knew there was a reason I liked you....

I just got my diff cover too and it rocks!

I've switched up the last couple of weeks, trying to appear more sophisticated. A pint glass 3/4 filled with ice and topped off with this makes me happy.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

http://a267.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/109/l_441370af3cd2816e0df491b18ebe7e92.jpg

philjohnhb
29-01-08, 04:08 AM
Newcastle - one word

Breakin5speeds
29-01-08, 10:29 AM
Newcastle - one word

Hey we kicked your **** in our Revolutionary War, with less resources, and helped bail it out in WWI and WWII, along with countless other skirmishes, if you want to ship it into our country we'll CALL IT WHATEVER WE FEEL LIKE!:p hahahahaha

misu
29-01-08, 10:33 AM
I've switched up the last couple of weeks, trying to appear more sophisticated. A pint glass 3/4 filled with ice and topped off with this makes me happy.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

http://a267.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/109/l_441370af3cd2816e0df491b18ebe7e92.jpg

Waiting for me at home... After 6 hours at work... Let time fly faster...

TheRedBaron
29-01-08, 10:54 AM
I've got one of these waiting at home :cheesy:

http://www.dewitwines.be/shop/images/balvenie10yo.jpg

IronJoe
29-01-08, 11:04 AM
I gots one of these bad boys waiting for me:

http://southernfriedfatty.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/dasani.jpg

TheRedBaron
29-01-08, 11:30 AM
I gots one of these bad boys waiting for me:

http://southernfriedfatty.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/dasani.jpgDamn, IronJoe, that's pretty hard stuff!

But I suggest you upgrade to pure natural water from an artesian spring, instead of mass market brita ;). My personal favorite:

http://www.cajunsupermarket.com/images/0_big_images/Abita/Abita_Springs_Artesian.gif

I like it especially when it's served within one of these:

http://www.bierkraft.com/ProductImages/abitapurplehaze12oz.jpg

:cheesy:

philjohnhb
29-01-08, 11:35 AM
Hey we kicked your **** in our Revolutionary War, with less resources, and helped bail it out in WWI and WWII, along with countless other skirmishes, if you want to ship it into our country we'll CALL IT WHATEVER WE FEEL LIKE!:p hahahahaha

Is that WW1 - 1917 to 1918 and WW11 - 1941 to 1945

or

WW1 - 1914 to 1918 and WW11 - 1939 to 1945 ?

DanF.
29-01-08, 05:42 PM
Damn, IronJoe, that's pretty hard stuff!

But I suggest you upgrade to pure natural water from an artesian spring, instead of mass market brita ;). My personal favorite:

http://www.cajunsupermarket.com/images/0_big_images/Abita/Abita_Springs_Artesian.gif

I like it especially when it's served within one of these:

http://www.bierkraft.com/ProductImages/abitapurplehaze12oz.jpg

:cheesy:

Why on God's green earth would you want to mix alcohol and water? That's like trying to fly by pulling up on your feet.

:nono;:nono;:nono;

DanF.
29-01-08, 05:44 PM
On a happy car related note:

I have a bad wheel bearing, motor mount, throw out bearing grinds when letting out the clutch, my tranny leaks oil, and the hydraulic system does too.

And I need an oil change.

And there's rust on my car.

This new year isn't turning out to be fun anymore.

VikingSpirit
29-01-08, 09:46 PM
On a happy car related note:

I have a bad wheel bearing,

motor mount,
- ebay / breakers / group buy of solid mounts!

throw out bearing grinds when letting out the clutch,
- new one from parts for saabs - easily replaced

my tranny leaks oil and the hydraulic system does too.
- great! it'll get a constant supply of fresh stuff!

And I need an oil change.
so do one - takes 20 mins!

And there's rust on my car.
Rotary wire brush, POR-15, sand, prime and paint!

This new year isn't going to be dull anymore! :cheesy:

Fixed it for ya! If you wanted a car that gave you zero bother you'd have bought a camry :p

DanF.
29-01-08, 09:51 PM
haha, i needed that.

I think friday i'll tackle a few on the list. i'm having to readjust my time management now with school all day and work all night.

TheRedBaron
29-01-08, 10:04 PM
Dan, jeez louise. All beer has water in it, that's how it's made. It just so happens that Abita beer is made with Abita water. ;)

Sounds like some "fun summer projects." I've got a few myself. :lol:

Breakin5speeds
29-01-08, 11:59 PM
Dan, jeez louise. All beer has water in it, that's how it's made. It just so happens that Abita beer is made with Abita water. ;)

"Thanks Ted, that was the Joke" -Michael Eisner on Family Guy informing Ted Turner of his obvious remark.....lol:p

I use that same joke:

Q: "Do you like bottled water?"
A: Only when it's flavored with fermented malted barley and hops!"

DanF.
12-05-08, 01:42 PM
SPG is parked, unable to move under its own power. I was driving to a job interview and while shifting into 5th gear a nasty clicking/grinding noise made its presence known. I pulled off the highway and soon lost all forward/reverse capability. I think the clutch disc exploded again. The car is at a different house so I'm not able to work on it much right now.. but will tear everything apart soon enough.

Boo.

DanF.
25-06-08, 09:17 AM
Clutch disc destroyed. Inner section detached from outer disc. Not too cool. Try to work on it soon.

Donkehote
02-07-08, 11:32 PM
Sounds to me like you have too much power for that clutch, or it was a crappy clutch.

DanF.
10-07-08, 12:10 PM
I don't think it was either. I think, as mentioned by others in this thread (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131466), that the pilot bearing walked out of the flywheel, and destruction ensued.

DanF.
26-05-09, 10:25 AM
Car actually moved. 3 gigantic pine trees were cut down. So I had to push the car across the street, and move it back after.

Still no work done on it. Maybe later.

Oh, and the paint is officially destroyed. It's weathered off, and covered with pine pitch. Probably just sand it off, prime the car, and murder it out.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/ShQzCuHSYYI/AAAAAAAAAc8/E8w-MdTavWA/s576/0518091817b.jpg

DanF.
26-05-09, 12:22 PM
Car actually moved. 3 gigantic pine trees were cut down. So I had to push the car across the street, and move it back after.

Oh, and the paint is officially destroyed. It's weathered off, and covered with pine pitch. Probably just sand it off, prime the car, and murder it out.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/ShQzCuHSYYI/AAAAAAAAAc8/E8w-MdTavWA/s576/0518091817b.jpg

saabmatt
27-05-09, 04:46 AM
3'' Magnaflow Race Cat and 3" Catback exhaust w/ Magnaflow muffler

I have an exhaust question for you, I am looking to order a 3” Magnaflow muffler and to build my own system, how much noise is it going to make with one muffler?

I don’t want it to be noisy, I do a lot of miles and that novelty would soon wear off, I do want it to be free flowing and unrestrictive.

I don’t need to use the cat but would add a second muffler if needed, what do you think one or two mufflers required?

Cheers
Matt

Breakin5speeds
04-10-09, 10:34 PM

Sell me the car, I'll give it a nice southern home.....

DanF.
29-11-09, 07:48 PM
Update:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/SxMV7M8O0vI/AAAAAAAAB3U/h8Th7ZuPxGc/s720/1129091454.jpg

It's mounting a comeback.

Breakin5speeds
01-12-09, 06:17 PM
Yay!!!!!

My offer to give it a retirement south of the Mason Dixon line still stands

DanF.
01-12-09, 10:34 PM
Well, I may be moving down south next year.

Paul ( ilovemybike ) is gonna try to help me out a bit. He's gonna powdercoat the steel dif. cover I have, and I may enlist his help with making a 3" DP to mate to the Ford swing-gate housing I got from you.

Rennsport1
01-12-09, 10:46 PM

Paul ( ilovemybike ) is gonna try to help me out a bit. He's gonna powdercoat the steel dif. cover I have, and I may enlist his help with making a 3" DP to mate to the Ford swing-gate housing I got from you.

Need a Realtor in Dallas :cheesy: I love living here, especially as a car guy. Great weather, lot's of nice cars. D/FW TOY RUN ! Nice roads.

And as an art lover, lots of local artists here, great galleries and museums.

And great restaurants all over the place.

Breakin5speeds
02-12-09, 12:50 AM

Yeah, sweet, I'm trying to convince Paul to move come down here and run a garage with me, you should help me and come help as well:cheesy:

DanF.
09-02-10, 11:30 AM
Just ordered a manual transmission gasket set and oil filter from Eeuroparts.

DanF.
22-02-10, 09:32 AM
Car is getting a little TLC. Pulled the engine/gearbox last night. Have a big list of parts to order.

It may look like I'm working in this picture, but I'm actually just prying off a huge mud-wasp nest off the exhaust manifold.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs369.snc3/23754_523162867283_202200649_30835480_6899561_n.jp g

spgeebee88
22-02-10, 12:16 PM
good to see something happening!

DanF.
22-02-10, 12:58 PM
What is the seal called that goes on either end of the fuel rail, mine were pretty well destroyed when removed. I need 2 of them.

DanF.
22-02-10, 02:04 PM
For new parts to install, I have:

-Transmission gasket kit
-Burly steel diff. cover (with longer bolts)
-Fuel filter
-1 Front wheel bearing kit
-alternator bushings
- 1 engine mount (1 is newish, and the other seems fine)
-Driver's side control arm bushings (I think they are in a box of parts I have at home... hope)

Making a list of parts to order now that the engine is out:

-Engine/Transmission metal gasket
-Upper/lower heater core hoses
-Expansion tank hose
-Intake manifold bushing
-Front/Rear main seals
-Cap/Rotor
-Grease
-Throwout bearing
-Fuel rail (banjo bolt) seals
-Front wheel bearing kit (doing both, already have one)

Anything else to add?

DanF.
22-02-10, 02:08 PM
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs457.snc3/26142_523163011993_202200649_30835491_2883089_n.jp g

DanF.
22-02-10, 02:20 PM
List ordered:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/S4LYwxdTsqI/AAAAAAAAB-E/8HCFDS0-PHM/s800/Picture%203.png

DanF.
23-02-10, 09:27 PM
All I got done tonight was replacing all the gaskets/seals on the gearbox case, installing new diff. cover, swapping inner drivers, shims, and making a mess in Garret's nice garage.

Box 'o parts that came today.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/S4SLtaemkQI/AAAAAAAAB-s/mR0DPQPL1lY/s800/0223101538.jpg

Just some shots of the inside of the gearbox. I was bored and fascinated at the same time. All that power* through such a small space.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/S4SLJ2EYt_I/AAAAAAAAB-U/Q3o8HUevqDA/s800/0223101826.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/S4SLj3WlnVI/AAAAAAAAB-4/EgT-2CCCpRQ/s800/0223101735.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/S4SLftU93zI/AAAAAAAAB-c/uz3x69Vxnj8/s800/0223101747.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zs_DgvclnWw/S4SLcuQ7ZKI/AAAAAAAAB-Y/XM7bVHQ-jKc/s800/0223101747a.jpg

The diff. cover is powder coated with 3 or 4 layers of "I don't have a clue.™" It was free, and it was so my buddy could practice layering clears and flakes. I like my car parts powder coated, and will probably have lots more done.