Bad influence [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Bad influence

TFatC
4th April 2003, 06:06 AM
OK, you lot are definitely a bad influence on a poor innocent like me :cheesy:

I have not even seen my 99 Turbo yet, never mind driven it, but as it cost so little, are not exactly uncommon (yet) etc, I think I might not follow my usual route of keeping it standard. The last car I tuned was a TR7 V8 which produced over 300hp, but I have never tried tweeking a Saab.

So, the question is, what do you suggest I do to it, and in what order? (I know I should really post this in the lounge for 5k to answer, but... :cheesy: ). Anybody help with standard output for an 82 99T).

I would like more power (LOTS more power!!) and would like to end up with a car suitable for the occasional track day as Knockhill is only about 100 miles away! I would like to keep it looking stock (I like Q cars) and the previous owner tells me the car has a blue printed bottom end so that should be a good start.

So, what do you suggest?

Gordy
4th April 2003, 06:09 AM
I take it comments like "add a V8, make it rear wheel drive, why not supercharge and add Nitrous Oxide, etc etc" are all out? :cheesy:

If you do decide to take it round Knockhill let me know, I'm only about 20 miles away from there.

TFatC
4th April 2003, 06:16 AM
I take it comments like "add a V8, make it rear wheel drive, why not supercharge and add Nitrous Oxide, etc etc" are all out? :cheesy:

If you do decide to take it round Knockhill let me know, I'm only about 20 miles away from there.

Well, the jury is still out on the nitrous (not sure the gearbox would like it!) :cheesy:

Will give you a shout if I ever get to Knockhill with it.

Paco
4th April 2003, 06:46 AM
Presumably the breathing is the place to start which is cheapest? Free flow filter and Intercool it? Different exhaust? I guess you have no apc to teak, so it's all mechanical stuff. Should be fun!

The guy who came to look at my Starion last night sold a 99t to a guy in Aberdeen a while ago.....must be a 700 mile round trip :o

TFatC
4th April 2003, 07:05 AM
The guy who came to look at my Starion last night sold a 99t to a guy in Aberdeen a while ago.....must be a 700 mile round trip :o

I would think it would be nearer to 1200 miles round trip (Birmingham is 440 each way) :o :o

Did a trip Aberdeen, Stafford, Norwich, Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Carlisle, Aberdeen, Inverness, Aberdeen a few weeks ago. All in a F'rd Cargo 7.5 tonner with trailer. Total of 2600 miles in a week :o

Paco
4th April 2003, 07:15 AM
I dread to think what heinous crime you committed to recieve that sentence :cheesy:

I used to drive a 7.5 Cargo car transporter, bowled along at quite a rate when it was wound up 8)

tom
4th April 2003, 07:17 AM
intercooler, more boost, better flowing exhaust. Keep in mind that the car is 21 years old, so treat her respectfully.

Is it a H-engine? I'm trying to tweak my H-engine for my 99 to produce something like 230-240hp. I know from a 8 valver that's a bit tough though.

-tom-

TFatC
4th April 2003, 07:42 AM
Tom

No idea what engine is in it yet. What is the difference with an H engine (and what is the alternative?)

Would be interested in what you have done to your car and any source of tuning parts.

Sparky
4th April 2003, 07:42 AM
Would it be possible to fit APC? Is there any point? You could drop a 900 Turbo8 engine in there of course... :D

Sparky
4th April 2003, 07:45 AM
Tom

No idea what engine is in it yet. What is the difference with an H engine (and what is the alternative?)

TfatC follow the link for a good explanation of the different engine types.

http://uk.geocities.com/saab99tips/FrmSet/FrmSet.htm

WelshWizard
5th April 2003, 08:38 AM
It should be a B-series.

Although the car was advertised as a 1982 and X-reg. It is actually 1981 model year. H-series came in for 1982.

Apparently you need to 'modify' the firewall to accomodate the newer engine and that's probably why there were no 99T's made after 1981.

Although another thing has occured to me - the door mirrors they are the earlier 'elephant ear' style. The standard 81 cars (GL) has the later 'faired-in' style

Now if I had seen the advert TFatC I would have bought the car :roll:

tom
5th April 2003, 10:09 AM
welshwizard, Putting a H-turbo in a h-motor 99 isn't that difficult. I bet the reason why 99T's were taken off the market after -81 was the introduction of 900T. And I bet the 900T made better money than the 99T and they didn't want to competition between the two models.

My own view is the 99T is the most fun of all saabs. So I'm building one of a -82 H-motor 99.

-tom-

WelshWizard
5th April 2003, 01:12 PM
I know tom :)

Point I was trying to make was it's more difficult to put the later engine in an earlier body. But it can be done with a bit of engineering.

You continental types have it easy especially when cars are developed with the wheel on the left (WRONG :P ) side of the car as I think there a few differences between the LHD cards and RHD drive cars (we couldn't have PAS for a start :( )

If I'd bought the car, I'd leave it as a standard spec persoanlly....

WelshWizard
5th April 2003, 01:16 PM
Also wasn't the purpose of the 2 door turbos for homologation, i..e they had to produce production cars to justify competing in rallies?

In the UK I think the 99T was a marketing tool to remind people that the 99 was still around. Discontinued in 1981 because of the continued development of the B201 engine etc and to concentrate on the higher end models..

mate had 2 - loved them to bits, no has a tawdry company passat TDi estate....

TFatC
6th April 2003, 05:02 AM
Thanks Sparky for a really useful link, and Welshwizard for good info.

My brother is collecting the car Monday evening so should have an initial report sometime Monday evening.

Looks like I will have to come into the office late Mon eveing to phone him, so I guess I will have to check the chat room as well... :cheesy: