Will putting a new headunit eliminate my screen? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Will putting a new headunit eliminate my screen?

Felbie
3rd April 2003, 02:23 PM
If i want to put an aftermarket head unit into my viggen, will that eliminate the little screen that says the time, and all that, im not expecting it to still know what station im listneing to, but as for mpg, and stuff like that, and time and date

MikeZR
3rd April 2003, 02:34 PM
It shouldn't affect the info screen at all, except not showing radio info as far as I know.

CleveSaab
3rd April 2003, 02:59 PM
Mike is correct. No the radio and CD options will not show, but it does NOT at all affect the DTE, MPG or EXTERNAL TEMPRATURE display at all. It's two different connections.

So, yes, count on your SID to continue to communicate to you "*DEE DOO* COOLANT LEVEL LOW".

:D

CleveSaab
3rd April 2003, 03:00 PM
As you can tell from this fuzzy picture of my dash.

http://pfalcon.org/radio2.jpg

Felbie
4th April 2003, 12:13 AM
good cuz im droppin a pioneer 6400 headunit in it with a phoenix gold amp powering mb quart Q components and a set of 6x9 triaxils powered off my head unit and a JL 10" w3v2 sub this weekend

CleveSaab
4th April 2003, 09:40 AM
NICE! :D

benoit
5th April 2003, 09:13 AM
Clevesaab,

Just curious where you found the other insert you used to fill the rest of the space left by switching to a thin head unit? Thanks!

aboveaveragedave
5th April 2003, 04:05 PM
I would like to know where you can get the fit kit too. I had a local stereo install place do my install, and the consesnus among my friends is that it looks like "***."

CleveSaab
5th April 2003, 06:45 PM
http://www.audioonlineoutlet.com/saab.html

They also sell a radio harness. It's free for the cost of shipping (I did not get the harness).

benoit
6th April 2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks!

Zander
6th April 2003, 03:35 PM
I went to best buy and a couple of other places when I first got my car and they said that it was basically impossible to put an aftermarket deck in an NG900 without about a $1000 in work? How hard is it really? Any other thoughts?

Thanks, Zander

davy913
7th April 2003, 02:22 AM
Clevesaab, where did you get that lower cubby to fill the headunit?

ichbinallein
7th April 2003, 09:55 AM
I was told the same thing about changing out the head unit by the Saab dealer directly. Install just like installing any other. The back of the factory radio is labeled as to which wires are which. There are three unfortunate problems with changing the head unit, however, but these problems don't bother me. I prefer to have my in dash dvd/tv as opposed to the factory radio..

1) You lose that section of the CID screen.

2) You now have radio controls on your steering wheel that do nothing.

3) If you have a later model 9-3, you lose the onstar functionality.

Hope that helps.

CleveSaab
7th April 2003, 11:16 AM
Pay attention, Davy. :nono; hehehe j/k.

http://www.audioonlineoutlet.com/saab.html

I bought the 'cubby' from these guys, and then I took the car to BestBuy, as my friends nephew is the head installer there. I would have bought the radio harness from them, too, but I didn't find that until after it was too late. I did not want to try and install it myself. It was $65 to install it, and no he did not give me a discount.
:evil:
Zander... $1,000?!?!? They told you $1,000?!?!?! OMG! :o They are LYING to you, man.

He wired the new Kenwood CD player into the back of the Saab wiring harness. He told me he used a Honda bracket to mount it in the dash, but that he had to cut a piece of it off.

squishmann
8th April 2003, 09:00 PM
I'm guessing you do but with an aftermarfet job do you lose the 1 hour radio after you turn of the car?

benoit
8th April 2003, 10:10 PM
One more question. I've been trying to install a different head unit myself (which I've always been able to do in my other cars). I have a red wire (bus positive, I assume) and a black wire (ground) but I'm not sure which is the bus negative wire. On my stereo it's yellow, but there's no match from the car. Anyone know the color codes? Thanks!

CleveSaab
9th April 2003, 09:35 AM
Benoit: No idea.

Squishman: Yes. The only drawback is the radio no longer stays on like the old Saab one did.

ichbinallein
9th April 2003, 11:39 AM
Saab Color Codes...

Now the three colors you need are (at least on my '01 9-3 they were)

black - ground
red - constant
brown/red - ignition

I believe that was the order. For some reason I remember the Saab wires being a little weird (no yellow and red being constant). If you look on your factory radio, there should be a diagram on top listing what wire is for each plug on the back of the head unit. Just find the right plug and see what color wire connects there.

Hope that helps a bit.

squishmann
9th April 2003, 07:45 PM
Squishman: Yes. The only drawback is the radio no longer stays on like the old Saab one did.

that sucks, i will truly miss it next week

it's great for when you working or cleaning up your car,

if you have the doors open you don't have to here that stupid beep

Zander
20th April 2003, 06:51 PM
What Honda Bracket did he use?

CleveSaab
21st April 2003, 11:56 AM
Sorry, Zander, I don't know.
:oops:
(How many can there be?)