1995 Aero [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 1995 Aero

kgg2
1st April 2003, 11:31 AM
I have loved the styling, performance and bang for the buck these cars offer for as long as I can remember. Now I believe it is time I jumped into the market. As a prospective first time Saab owner I have been looking for a reasonable 9000 in the mid ninties era. I found a 1995 aero with 160,000 mile in great condition. It is priced reaonably, however this is a high mileage automobile. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to what I should look for. Are these cars known to last past 200,000. The service record is clean and it has had all the preventative service. Any info, stories, suggestions or links are greatly appreicated.

kgg2
1st April 2003, 08:57 PM
After reading much literature and talking to many people. I have been warned about 9k's. Supposedly expensive to maintain and frequent problems plague these cars. Is this a myth? At this mileage what should I look for. Would I be safer going for a lower model with lower mile? For a guy with limited funds..my plan is to buy the best 9000 I can find and slowly upgrade the performance to my dream car. However if I am going to be spending all my money on expensive saab parts maybe this is a dream.
Any help would be gretly appreciated. If there is a better model I should look at suggest anything....thanks
-Saab virgin

kgg2
1st April 2003, 09:56 PM
Does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to drop a 5 speed into a presently automatic 1995 aero? If not do you know where i could find out?

Jason_9000CD23T
2nd April 2003, 04:01 PM
It depends how much you want to spend, the only way to know is to go and get quotes from various places. If you

Quite a lot. The auto has a smaller turbo and different ECU settings, the auto is 200bhp versus 225 for the manual.

Supposedly expensive to maintain and frequent problems plague these cars.

Well according to some sources yes, but if you buy a car with a full dealer history (service record) you should get a very reliable motor. In the UK the JD Power survey frequently placed the 9000 in the top 5 cars for reliability.

Expensive jobs on an Aero will include:

Throttle bodies failing on cars with TCS. Circa 900.
Timing and balance chain services, should be done every 150K miles approx, or sooner if the engine develops a rattle that doesn't disappear after a few minutes running.
Air conditioning failures.
Slightly weedy transmissions, expect a gearbox rebuild every 100K ish on an Auto, 175Kish on a manual (less if it's been driven hard/badly).