Turbo Silencer for 9-3. [I did a search I promise:)] [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Turbo Silencer for 9-3. [I did a search I promise:)]

homesturunner
27-03-03, 05:26 PM
I was reading that one guys site that has all the stages of mods for the Saabs (very good site I might add), but even after a search I still have some questions about the turbo silencer.

Like I've said before, my girlfriend has a 99 9-3 with the Viggen style fornt mount intercooler. I assume that the turbo silencer is in the short piece of piping that goes from the compressor to the intercooeler correct? The reason I am confused is that in the picture on the web site, the silencer looks fairly long and straight, the charge pipe between the compressor and the intercooler is nither of those however. Is the silencer flexable?

I also noticed that his car is the 9000? Does that mean that the 9-3 does not have the silencer, or is it located somewhere else? TIA

trexturk
27-03-03, 05:44 PM
His car is the 900se and the 99 9-3s i think has the same engine. It is flexable and easy to take out. Just take out that pipe and pull out the silencer.

Tweek's Turbos
27-03-03, 06:28 PM
If you have the Viggen Intercooler you wont have the silencer, at least not the one in the long metal tube.

The viggen intercooler collects the air from the passenger side and lets it out on the drivers side, the one in the pic, say pre 9-3 900s have a diff intercooler, they intake and outlet on the drivers side, thus the need for the longer pipe, and thus having a silencer in it. As for a diff silencer in the Viggen intercooler set up, I'm not familiar.

davy913
27-03-03, 07:09 PM
only way to find out is to take it apart eh? :wink:

homesturunner
28-03-03, 03:56 AM
only way to find out is to take it apart eh? :wink:

I want to make her car run better with "Free" upgrades, Supra and RX-7 guys refer to it as "BPU" I believe, but I don't want to just tinker if I am not going to accomplish anything; that's what my car is for. Does anyone know for sure? I sure would love to hear that turbo spool up. I think just installing something to quiet down that beautiful sound is down right sinful. Someone on the Saab team is definitely going to hell for that one. :wink:

davy913
28-03-03, 04:26 AM
hmm whenever i get some free time to tinker with the car ill be sure to look for it

homesturunner
28-03-03, 05:53 AM
hmm whenever i get some free time to tinker with the car ill be sure to look for it

Thanks. On another note, is jump starting another car supposed to cause the CEL light to come on?

NiX
28-03-03, 02:49 PM
Hey does the 9-3 with low presure turbo have this kind of silecer. 2.0t

Tweek's Turbos
29-03-03, 06:52 PM
No, I jump start cars in my driveway all the time, it shouldn't send a check engine light.

And Im linking you to Eric's site, http://www.lehigh.edu/~erp4/saab/Upgrades/Silence.html
this shows that the discharge silencer your looking for isnt on your car. See paragraph 1 and parts diagram.

NiX
30-03-03, 02:43 PM
Hey does the 9-3 with low presure turbo have this kind of silecer. 2.0t
Yeah just answer my own question. I had it and i removed it.
The turbo sound is more clear now and sounds louder even at low rpm. Very simple to remove the silencer without to break it. :D

Tweek's Turbos
31-03-03, 05:12 PM
Nix, did you have a viggen type intercooler or was yours like the earlier 900s?

NiX
01-04-03, 05:45 AM
Nix, did you have a viggen type intercooler or was yours like the earlier 900s?
I'm not an expert to tell what kind of intercooler i have but think it's like earlier 900 then.
I just notis from the link you post that viggen does not have this kind of silencer, so...
http://www.lehigh.edu/~erp4/saab/Upgrades/Silence.html
This kind of setup as pic.
I have: 9-3 2,0t 150hp -00 model by the way.