Highlands. Suggestions from Scottish guys? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Highlands. Suggestions from Scottish guys?

EPa
19-09-06, 02:23 PM
Hello, I plan to go(come?) see the Highlands between 1 and 15 October. I will be driving my Saab from Berlin. I, my wife and our 2 month old baby.

Haven't arranged anything yet, just now starting to look for places to go and places to stay.

I would appreciate any suggestions for hotels/castles/places from any/all of our Scottish friends here.

Thanks

Heather
19-09-06, 02:47 PM
Definitely go see the west highlands, it has some of the most beautiful scenery I have seen. You might find this website useful for your trip. Hope you have a lovely time.

Visit scotland (http://www.visitscotland.com/)

JonV
19-09-06, 02:50 PM
I may be a Yank, but you'll love this.....

http://www.glenlachart.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

DaCuBaN
19-09-06, 08:57 PM
Don't skip Aberdeenshire - the drive along the river Dee is a particularly pleasant one. If you've never been to Scotland before, Deeside is a good staging ground for touring the whole northeast.

I'm not sure what you're looking for though. In my experience, the further northwest you go the better the tarmac gets as the population decreased, so if it's for driving that's your best bet. If you're looking to see some of the country and it's history, you'll find more on the east coast - castles, stone circles, roman villas and the like.

DaCuBaN
19-09-06, 09:12 PM
Evidently I wasn't reading properly, you're looking for attractions and driving! :cheesy:

Dunnottar Castle (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/stonehaven/dunnottarcastle/) is within 20 miles of my home (so stop in for a cuppa if you're passing!) and if I remember correctly is the oldest known castle in Scotland. Burned down by William Wallace, various Edwards, and was the last bastion of the Jacobites. It's also something of a geological curiosity - a sandstone plain surrounded by granite hills. The drive from Banchory on deeside to Stonehaven is an old favourite of mine - there is a gorgeous point to stop at the top of the "Cairn o Mount" that overlooks the whole plain towards the sea.

Slain's Castle (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/crudenbay/slainscastle/index.html) isn't too far up the coast from here either, and it's the inspiration that Bram Stoker used for Dracula, apparently. When you're there at twilight, you can certainly see why.

I could spend all night writing this kind of thing - however, might I just recommend you start in Aberdeen, head across the Cairngorm mountains with the goal of ending in Fort William, then double across the central belt through Clydeside to finish in Edinburgh. There's simply far too much to see, so you'll miss most of it anyway - this'll at least allow you a good feel for the country, and allow you to understand why we brits get so ****ed off at the state of the roads! :lol:

cassonian
19-09-06, 09:23 PM
The West Coast is indeed a beautiful place. Oban is a very nice town in which to stay, also ferries departing to some of the more rugged of the islands surrounding. From Glasgow even the drive up to Oban is fantastic, along the edge of Loch Lomond.

From Oban you can drive around to Fort William which again is a lovely place. There were steam trains out of there (was it to Mallaig?) but I'm afraid I don't know about this time of year.

A very beautiful place, if you are lucky with the weather then better still. Happy travels!

Bawheid
20-09-06, 04:56 AM
Going up to Loch Lochy ( close to Loch Ness ) to a log cabin for the long weekend. Driving up through Fort William, some great saab driving roads and some of the best scenery about :cool:. The north west is easily accessable with jaw dropping scenery around almost every corner, theres also the bonus of some of the islands aswell.

Si
20-09-06, 08:07 AM
Don't forget about the local delicassies, battered pizza washed down with a can of iron bru, followed by a battered mars bar for dessert:D .

Or haggis if your into intestines;) .

DaCuBaN
20-09-06, 10:15 AM
a battered mars bar

Aye, a local delicacy from Stonehaven! :cheesy:

mac_the_dog
20-09-06, 10:32 AM
a battered mars bar for dessert:D .
Does it taste better when it's been flattened? ;) :lol:

craigdeluxe
20-09-06, 03:20 PM
Oi si, try and at least spell it right--- Irn Bru. Best soft drink ever :D

Stick with the West Highlands to start. Then cut across either from Ullapool or Spean Bridge to Inverness(Cairngorms) Then follow the Whiskey Trail towards Aberdeen. You will see the best of the country in less than a week, you might even decide to return to one area for the rest of your Holiday.

Dont diss the Haggis, its a member of the Sausage family afterall. Not that I would ever eat one mind.

EPa
20-09-06, 03:21 PM
Everyone, thanks, keep the suggestions coming. Now all I have to do is find them on the map..:o

Also if anyone would like to suggest places to stay (hotels/castles) feel free. I am thinking we'll be spending about 7 nights in the region. Castles are expensive so maybe 2 nights at 2 castles, and the rest in hotels or such.

I know it's all about tourists, but I am not gonna leave Loch Ness out of it. What about Inverness and Skye island?

craigdeluxe
20-09-06, 05:07 PM
The Isle of Skye must be one of the most welcoming places on earth, thouroghly recommend it. This is a typical castle hotel in Scotland. Just north of Fort William and an ideal stop on the way to Skye.
http://www.inverlochycastlehotel.com/

Si
20-09-06, 06:01 PM
Dont diss the Haggis, its a member of the Sausage family afterall. Not that I would ever eat one mind. I eat vegetarian haggis:D , there's one really nice one, ofcourse with pretend intestines to boot:cheesy:

Alex_W
21-09-06, 06:18 PM
A nice drive is clockwise round the country.
Dumfries-shire > Glasgow >A82> Loch Lomond > Fort William > Loch Ness > Inverness > Aberdeen > Perth > St Andrews > Edinburgh.

EPa
22-09-06, 11:54 PM
Isn't it worth to go further north than Inverness?

cassonian
23-09-06, 04:29 AM
I've been right to the top and to be honest after Inverness it gets, well, less beautiful I think is a good way to put it! It's quite rugged, not as leafy certainly.

I wouldn't say don't go but if you are on a limited timescale there are more beautiful parts, not that I'm saying it still isn't beautiful!

Was that pc enough do you think? ;)

EPa
30-09-06, 08:11 AM
I am considering it ;)..

Anyway, some other little things I want to ask about driving in the UK (other than having to be at the wrong side of the road :cheesy: ):

- Winter tyres. Is it an obligation, and if yes, during what months/dates?
- Are there tolls or something like that?
- Parking in cities/towns. Are there places you can park for free? If yes, is there a point looking, or are they all taken the whole time?
- I'll be using credit cards wherever I can. But surely I will need cash at some point. Do you happen to know where it would be best to change?
- I am using only Shell V-Power 98. Will I have hard time finding it?

klarking1075
30-09-06, 08:39 AM
I am considering it ;)..

Anyway, some other little things I want to ask about driving in the UK (other than having to be at the wrong side of the road :cheesy: ):

- Winter tyres. Is it an obligation, and if yes, during what months/dates?
- Are there tolls or something like that?
- Parking in cities/towns. Are there places you can park for free? If yes, is there a point looking, or are they all taken the whole time?
- I'll be using credit cards wherever I can. But surely I will need cash at some point. Do you happen to know where it would be best to change?
- I am using only Shell V-Power 98. Will I have hard time finding it?

By winter tyres, do you mean as in snow and ice? If so, then your chances of needing it are right up there with winning the lottery.

Certain bridges have tolls (notably the forth and tay bridges), but other than that there's no tolls on the roads.

There should be free parking in someplaces, but most of the time it's easier to park in a pay car park, and usually not that dear either.

If it's a visa, you should be able to use ATM's, but check with your own bank first, and in particular make sure that there is no excess charges. Watch out for private cash machines which charge you for withdrawls.

Shell V-Power 98, whats that then? If you must use the higher octane fuel, it will be whatever you can find.

People have mentioned the A82 Glasgow - Inverness road. Driving wise that is a must do. Great fun going through Glen Coe, but take care not to become another statistic, there are already too many statistics on that road.

If your going to Inverness, and you like the country then it's worthwhile looking at the black isle for your overnight stay. Rosemarkie is only 15 minutes drive from Inverness, and there is some really beautiful scenery for morning walks, plus it has an excellant golf course).

Kenneth

EPa
01-10-06, 09:04 AM
Well, I didn't think I would need winter tyres at this time of year, just asking whether there is a law that oblidges you to have them (like in Austria for example, mid October to mid April I think). From your answer I take it there is not.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll be on my way tomorrow.

One last thing: does anybody happen to have any UK radar positions as POIs for any of the known navigation programs/devices, that he would like to share?

DavidMorgan
01-10-06, 05:31 PM
I have ony twice been North of the Thames..
Manchester in 1966 and Coventry for the last meeting.
But am getting an appetite for better things beyond :cheesy:

DaCuBaN
03-10-06, 08:42 PM
Winter tyres. Is it an obligation, and if yes, during what months/dates?

There is no legal obligation at any time of year.

I'll be using credit cards wherever I can. But surely I will need cash at some point. Do you happen to know where it would be best to change?

You'll probably get a better rate if you change before you leave, but otherwise you'll be able to use visa/mc/maestro pretty much anywhere these days. You'll be surprised at some of the pokey wee places that can pull out one of those "chip and pin" machines. The above cards will also be accepted at pretty much any ATM.

I am using only Shell V-Power 98. Will I have hard time finding it?

Just avoid any supermarket filling stations, as these never carry the higher octane fuel - usually 93 and sometimes 95 octane. 97 is common with most the shell/bp distributor stations and if I remember correctly V-Power 98 is the new name for Shell's Optimax 98 octane fuel - easy to get a hold of pretty much anywhere.

EPa
02-12-06, 12:04 PM
No comments..

EPa
02-12-06, 12:06 PM
Very, very beautiful country..