The Grey Ghost - IronJoe's Airflow Convertible [Archive] - Page 6 - SaabCentral Forums

: The Grey Ghost - IronJoe's Airflow Convertible

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

philb
22nd June 2009, 06:39 PM
Great stuff IJ. Nice to go for a good long spin, it will build up confidence in the setup. I think you should keep the boost at a sensible level, keep things a little less stressed.
As for handling, well apples for apples a saab 900 or 99 will not handle nearly as well as a R26R, focus, or a clio 172 or 197, even if you strip the Saab out to the same weight, it will still be too heavy in the nose and will not put the power down as well. The steering is too slow, and theres quite a bit of chassis flex unless you get a cage in there.
That said it is fun to try - since I know the handling of the 900 so well at this stage you can set them up and surprise people to some extent. In the wet I've had a lot of fun provoking lift off oversteer, I even managed to spin the car on the exit of turn 1 in mondello :)

ferrarimanf355
22nd June 2009, 09:33 PM
Hey guys, new poster here. I read through much of this thread, and got lots of inspiration.

I was set on getting an American muscle car most of my life. First, I wanted a Chevy Camaro. Then, after GM got into their financial sinkhole, I switched my object of desire to a Ford Mustang.

Then, for some ungodly reason, I wanted a Saab. Maybe it was the news of the Koeingsegg takeover. So, here I am.

I've seen a couple of nice old-school 900 convertibles for sale around here. Maybe I'll buy one, fix it up, and drive the hell out of it. Maybe install a nice stereo, maybe even try an engine swap. No, I'm not talking about a NA-to-turbo swap. That engine bay looks pretty big, I wonder if you can swap in something else... or is that too blasphemous?

I guess that my mind is running at a million miles an hour, thanks to this thread. :D

IronJoe
22nd June 2009, 09:58 PM
Great stuff IJ. Nice to go for a good long spin, it will build up confidence in the setup. I think you should keep the boost at a sensible level, keep things a little less stressed.
As for handling, well apples for apples a saab 900 or 99 will not handle nearly as well as a R26R, focus, or a clio 172 or 197, even if you strip the Saab out to the same weight, it will still be too heavy in the nose and will not put the power down as well. The steering is too slow, and theres quite a bit of chassis flex unless you get a cage in there.
That said it is fun to try - since I know the handling of the 900 so well at this stage you can set them up and surprise people to some extent. In the wet I've had a lot of fun provoking lift off oversteer, I even managed to spin the car on the exit of turn 1 in mondello :)

Handling? Save it for another thread, you know very well that's not what this car is about ;)

ejenner
23rd June 2009, 05:59 AM
I think you're selling the 900 / 99 chassis a little short there Phil.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/sonett_01/Olaflying.jpg

The Saab 99 and 900's were used in competition. There was an official line of 99T works rally cars raced by the Saab factory rally team and Stig Blomvquist (amongst other drivers) - They only gave up when the Audi Quattro came along and development costs were starting to get out of control. I've actually found when really pushing my black 8v 2-door saloon that I was able to out-handle a lot of the more modern cars I was up against on occassions and that was with Nankang tyres. With Toyo R888's I think they wouldn't stand a chance.

With the RS I was thinking more, 2.5ltrs, 300bhp and 340lbft and a noise like an Audi Quattro, plus properly set up LSD and trick front suspension.Sorry, thought you were talking about the old Focus RS. That ones a 2.0 isn't it? Same Quaife diff as my car as well. The diff all the motoring journos love to hate.

Alex
23rd June 2009, 01:57 PM
Sorry, thought you were talking about the old Focus RS. That ones a 2.0 isn't it? Same Quaife diff as my car as well. The diff all the motoring journos love to hate.

Several things with the Mk Focus RS were rushed. One was the ECU didn't have knock retard capability and so the car was limited to SUL only (the original ECU setup and mapping didn't meet Ford's standards so the supplier was changed at the last minute). Another was the setting of the slippy diff. The magazine test cars were pre-production models and the diff settings hadn't been finalised at that point, resulting in the less than perfect behaviour seen. Even the production cars show variations between vehicles.

ejenner
23rd June 2009, 04:52 PM
guess the new ones better then...!

VikingSpirit
23rd June 2009, 07:03 PM

I disagree, the heavy nose in a Saab is what gives you the confidence to keep the hammer nailed in the corners, I find you have to drive like a complete and utter spanner to make the car even think about understeering. Its my cars one redeeming feature that while it may be getting tailgated on the straights it'll leave most stuff for dead through the twistys. Of course I'm looking at this from the 2 door 99 side of the fence so there is a weight saving and stiffness advantage over a 900, but still it sounds like either your selling the car short or your car is selling you short...

I would say its a lot down to who is driving the car and how they are driven as well though, the renaults are renowed for having great turn-in, but with straight line lift-off oversteer as a result. Saabs just don't respond to that kind of driving, even over gravel the 99 is incredibly reluctant to go sideways, instead you just need to left foot brake your all speed off before the corner and then mash the throttle as you head for the apex and watch everything in the rear view mirror shrink!
:cool:

ejenner
24th June 2009, 02:48 AM
The Saab is designed by default not to understeer. Obviously understeering on an icy road is the very last thing you want. The 9000 handles the same way. With both the 900 and the 9000 the first loss of control you get is when the rear steps out. The closest I ever got to losing control of the 8v was at Castle Combe at The Esses. The back came round 20 or 30 degrees but I managed to catch it back with some braking and steering. I've adjusted my 99 so the bias is now to understeer first. It's much easier to control a car that prefers to understeer first. You can feel the front wheels trying to drag the car out of line. But that was on a waterlogged Donington circuit with the dry tyres. I've yet to try it on a dry circuit. It had been tail-happy for a long time but hopefully I've corrected that now.

The advantage of a heavy nose is greatly increased braking ability. So when you're tracking a 900 you need to keep it straight right up to the last split-second before turning in and stamp on the brakes at the very latest possible moment as hard as you can carrying as much speed into the corner as possible.

Turbofrenzy
24th June 2009, 04:20 AM
The Saab is designed by default not to understeer. Obviously understeering on an icy road is the very last thing you want. The 9000 handles the same way. With both the 900 and the 9000 the first loss of control you get is when the rear steps out. The closest I ever got to losing control of the 8v was at Castle Combe at The Esses. The back came round 20 or 30 degrees but I managed to catch it back with some braking and steering. I've adjusted my 99 so the bias is now to understeer first. It's much easier to control a car that prefers to understeer first. You can feel the front wheels trying to drag the car out of line. But that was on a waterlogged Donington circuit with the dry tyres. I've yet to try it on a dry circuit. It had been tail-happy for a long time but hopefully I've corrected that now.

The advantage of a heavy nose is greatly increased braking ability. So when you're tracking a 900 you need to keep it straight right up to the last split-second before turning in and stamp on the brakes at the very latest possible moment as hard as you can carrying as much speed into the corner as possible.

I agree the 900 was set up to be neutral, because of the winter driving.
But if you're getting to the stage of the back suddenly breaking loose that's bad news. Would it do that in the dry aswell?

ejenner
24th June 2009, 04:52 AM
I'm really only talking about the dry weather when my 8v started to leave the track. The difference between wet road and dry road is grip. The car handles the same. But on a wet track when you go to push all of the cars weight onto the edge of the leading front tyre that tyre will be less able to hold back the cars weight. The suspension won't squash as much and the car will lose 'grip' much sooner. The handling won't really have changed though. Weight distribution, suspension settings and aerodynamics will all be effected by the lower grip and different settings in all those areas will still give different results but the grip becomes the most important factor by a long way. Fitting wet tyres helps a lot.

The Saab's also have an advantage in wet weather with the heavy nose pressing down on the front tyre.

The advantages of the Saabs are their netural handling (if slightly bias towards oversteer in my opinion) a good braking ability and a better level of wet weather grip or a reliable front corner in the dry... those are the advantages for the Saabs... but there are other dissadvantages... like Saab's are always heavier than models of a similar era. Compare a Saab 900 with a Ford Serria or Vauxhall Cavelier or a Rover 400 or a Citroen BX - I'm sure the Saab is pretty heavy compared with it's competitiors from the same era. Those cars have all rusted to dust now, you don't see them around any longer... but the ones that are left are still lighter and that means a lot on the track.

So the formular for Saab 900 racing is very good acceleration, late and heavy braking and taking a very tight line around the corners to take advantage of the lack of understeer... then out of the corner earlier and back into a straight line and get back on the power as early as possible. It's not conventional, but that's because conventional racing techniques like racing lines, ect, ect are based on use of racing car chassis with rear-wheel-drive and no turbocharger. So imagine... head for the inside edge of the track with as much speed as possible, stand on the brakes for an instant, keep it tight around the inside edge of the corner and as soon as you have more or less a straight line out of the corner stamp back on the accelerator and start to use the turbo again.

If it helps... try and keep the engine revving so the turbo stays online and brake with your left-foot... not so easy in a 99 or a 900 and the brakes will get toasted very quickly... but it is an option and Saab drivers were the pioneers of accelerator and brake together... but that was a different era of two-stroke, very heavy bodyshells and much more powerful engines in the competitors cars... there can be a lot more speed to scrub-off when running a turbo and brake fluid boils and brake pads melt!

TooMany2cvs
24th June 2009, 04:55 AM
Compare a Saab 900 with a Ford Serria or Vauxhall Cavelier or a Rover 400 or a Citroen BX - I'm sure the Saab is pretty heavy compared with it's competitiors from the same era.

I think you need to go up a chunk in size to compare like with like. The 900 didn't really fit smoothly into typical size bands, being a bit bigger than a Sierra/Cav but smaller than a Granada/Omega (they were more 9000 competitors). The BX & 400, though, were definitely a big chunk smaller.

The 900 is a big heavy chunk of solid steel for it's size. The steel's thick, and there's more of it.

IronJoe
24th June 2009, 10:26 AM
Here's a shot of my car from the trip. I like it. It's blurry for the same reason the rear is squatting really low - I had just dropped two gears and gave it full throttle.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3652553719_044974b052_b.jpg

ejenner
24th June 2009, 10:41 AM
Cool photo.

Ade, the 900 might be long, but the passenger compartment is small. What car do you think it compares well with? I believe the GM marketing men have taken-care of that on our behalf already. We know now what the Saab 9-3 SS compares with... and that's the one with the silver-stripe around the dashboard! i.e. todays 900.

TooMany2cvs
24th June 2009, 11:31 AM
Ade, the 900 might be long, but the passenger compartment is small. What car do you think it compares well with?

It certainly didn't seem to be a poor comparison when my mother went from one to a Rover 800 - and the c900 felt huge compared to the Mk1 Astra GTE she'd had before. All were roughly the same price point in the market, because all were bought on the same co.car scheme.

ejenner
24th June 2009, 04:32 PM
so your point is based on your mothers experiences and feelings? that's fine. :lol:

TooMany2cvs
25th June 2009, 02:15 AM
so your point is based on your mothers experiences and feelings? that's fine. :lol:

You little tinker... No... Based on my personal first-hand recollection of them... I learnt to drive in that c900.

ejenner
25th June 2009, 02:33 AM
So when you were small the 900 seemed big?

TooMany2cvs
25th June 2009, 02:37 AM
So when you were small the 900 seemed big?

I learnt to drive in that c900.

Oh, and my old man had a Mk3 Granada at the same time...

IronJoe
25th June 2009, 09:59 AM
Video of a yearly european car drive, taken from inside my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYPTpytQ_bM

We turned the boost down for the drive as I mentioned earlier, somewhere in the 290ish whp area. But it gives a good impression of how quiet my car is (and also how loud it is with the WG open!)

Squaab99t
25th June 2009, 03:04 PM
Video of a yearly european car drive, taken from inside my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYPTpytQ_bM

We turned the boost down for the drive as I mentioned earlier, somewhere in the 290ish whp area. But it gives a good impression of how quiet my car is (and also how loud it is with the WG open!)

Sounds pretty sweet. Maybe it is a good thing you don't have the LSD installed. The wheel slip might be the only thing keeping your gearbox from going south.
I was in Leavenworth about lunch time and saw a bunch of pimped out Vdubs. No Saabs to be seen....:cry:

IronJoe
30th June 2009, 02:04 PM
Small update - Received the KnocksenseMS system in the mail from Boris at viatrack.ca.

This interprets signals from the stock bosch knock detector and provides outputs to a LED and Megasquirt (or other EMS).

You can use APC for this, but I am not going to for two reasons. The first is that I had trouble splitting the signal between my LED and the MS box, the second is that with KnocksenseMS there is no need for any modifications to the MS board.

This will mark the last part of MS control in my car - detecting knock, and pulling timing and/or boost when knock occurs. Full protection better than APC ever could offer ;-)

Breakin5speeds
30th June 2009, 11:36 PM
Small update - Received the KnocksenseMS system in the mail from Boris at viatrack.ca.

This interprets signals from the stock bosch knock detector and provides outputs to a LED and Megasquirt (or other EMS).

You can use APC for this, but I am not going to for two reasons. The first is that I had trouble splitting the signal between my LED and the MS box, the second is that with KnocksenseMS there is no need for any modifications to the MS board.

This will mark the last part of MS control in my car - detecting knock, and pulling timing and/or boost when knock occurs. Full protection better than APC ever could offer ;-)

BANGING his head against the wall repeatedly.....JOE I have a knock sense kit for the 900 that I probably won't be using because I plan on going T5...brand new...oh well

IronJoe
1st July 2009, 11:04 AM
BANGING his head against the wall repeatedly.....JOE I have a knock sense kit for the 900 that I probably won't be using because I plan on going T5...brand new...oh well

Hah, that's too bad. Oh well.

Installation was incredibly simple - I had a working knock system in less than an hour! I am quite pleased, no more APC necessary.

Oh, and Standalone > Trionic :cool:

philb
25th July 2009, 01:06 PM
I know this is off topic but there were a few posts on the previous page that I did not read up until now.
Ejenner and VikingSpirit - I'm not selling the car short, but I have to disagree with both of you.
My car is a reasonably good example of a 900, handling wise. The turn-in is good, grips well and is well balanced. However I gave specific examples in my post - apples for apples, do you think a 900 turbo in fairly standard form would be in the same league as a modern hot hatch?
I mean in absolute terms - laptimes. Not a hope - which modern cars exactly would your 8v leave for dead?

The 900 is designed and setup to understeer ( read the form and function ) - 59%/41% weight distribution, conservative camber settings from the factory. You can get rid of the understeer that occurs at a steady speed by giving the car more front end grip, but it will always tend to understeer when you get on the power on the way out of a bend.
My reference to chassis flex is more to do with road driving with a stiff suspension. The 99 is stronger than the 900 in this regard.

I don't agree with modifying the driving style completely
on a racetrack to suit some perceived shortcomings of the car. The further you stray from what is the correct line or braking point, the more you compromise your laptime. Of course some modification is needed - the lines will be different to a rwd car. But you should be making small adjustments.
Back to handling - the nose heavy nature of the car does give confidence when pushing on, but it will mean that it won't turn in as well as a more modern car with less weight over the front wheels. And it loads up the left front tyre too much on a right handed circuit - basically you will kill that tyre.
I've found on the road that my car will still understeer slightly right on the limit - this is fine by me. It will do lift off oversteer if provoked (http://www.youtube.com/user/philbLeprechaun#play/uploads/1/DMEmUuyRPyE), lot of fun on a wet racing circuit :)

ejenner
25th July 2009, 05:44 PM
Not sure about a 900 turbo but I know my 900 8v 2-door was a proper pocket rocket. I've owned a couple of modern hot-hatches. Although, both based on the same floorpan, so really they count as one!

This was the 'Zetec S' I owned. Bought it new when I was a young lad. After driving a couple of different cars between the Fiesta and getting my hands on the 900 8v I can honestly say the 900 compared quite favorably with the Fiesta. The difference was that everything was bigger on the 900 so really it needed a bit more power. The Fiesta was 100hp. The Saab was measured on the dyno at 112hp. The Saab had a slightly heavier bodyshell but the brakes were bigger, the suspension stiffer, tyres wider, ect, ect... I got the 900 for free and initially just collected it from the previous owner as a laugh and not really a car I was going to take seriously. But my mate and I went out for a jolly good thrashing on the night we got it running (after the evening we picked it up) and even on the knackered tyres and knackered suspension it was a right hoot to drive so that's when I started upgrading it and enjoying it.

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/fiesta/Fiesta2.jpg

I had a chance to put my 900 8v up against my mate driving a Mazda 3 - (based on the Focus.) He's a bit of a nutter behind the wheel and was hanging on for dear-life while my 8v kept up. As the 8v was a little gutless I was encouraged to believe a bit more in its ability to handle as a subsitute for real power... so pushed it as hard as it would go.

Here's a few funny little forgotten videos I found:

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/videos/saab/9008v/saab_900_8v_001.avi

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/videos/saab/9008v/saab_900_8v_004.avi

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/videos/saab/9008v/saab_900_8v_009.avi

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/videos/saab/9008v/saab_900_8v_010.avi

The big difference between a 900 and a modern hot-hatch is weight. The chassis dynamics can be a bit better on some newer modles but weight is always the killer where handling is concerned.

Birdie Mango is the man when it comes to trashing the pants of a 900 though. Although, being fair, his is a 99 and the 900 is a bit more flexible.

I suppose... despite what you say, your 900 is the heaviest and most flexible of all the 900's (bar the convertible) and all of the 900's are heavier and more flexible than the 99's.

Alex
27th July 2009, 07:28 AM

The big difference between a 900 and a modern hot-hatch is weight. The chassis dynamics can be a bit better on some newer modles but weight is always the killer where handling is concerned.

Yeah, most modern hot hatches are heavier than the non-vert c900s.

IronJoe
19th August 2009, 11:11 AM
WARNING: Lots of reflection happening in this post. You might want to skip this one, it has little to do with performance modifications. I don't mean to gloat about my car, instead, to show it some much-deserved love. Enjoy.

Eight years. Yep. I've owned the Grey Ghost for eight years now - purchased in August 2001, the summer before my senior year of high school. Since then it's gone through many different phases, it's been loved and abused, blown apart and put back together, sanded down and repainted.

What started out as a bone-stock 1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible with a partial SPG kit and Carroll Shelby wheels has turned into an all-out street fighter capable of hanging with makes and models twenty years newer, and thousands more expensive. This car has seen just about every modification commonly done to the Classic 900, and a few new ideas as well. It's currently one of(?) the highest horsepower c900s in America, and I'm not finished yet.

So here it is: the Grey Ghost by the numbers.
49,975: Views of this project thread (most in any of the c900 boards)
2,200: Amount paid in 2001 for the car
335: Horspower to the wheels produced in last dyno run
8: Years of ownership, and pages of the Excel spreadsheet detailing costs
5: Transmissions, sets of wheels, Sets of fuel injectors
3: Turbos, Intercoolers, Cylinder heads, paint jobs
2: Other people who have ever driven it.
?: Total cost (I'm not telling!)

In addition, every removable body panel has been replaced except for the doors in the past 8 years.

So to commemorate, here is a timeline in pictures.

Shortly after sorting out the missing body kit parts (SPG bumper extensions were replaced with standard "turbo" pieces):
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/Life-as-a-Faux-SPG/PDRM0160.jpg

Accident in 2004, sad day.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album13/Image008.jpg

Aaaand rebuilt! Airflow kit installed, scuffed and ready for paint.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album15/PDRM0145.jpg

On black ADR GT-Sport wheels.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album47/lowered.sized.jpg

In silver:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album83/P2010586.sized.jpg

The powerhouse:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album153/IMG_0364_Large.sized.jpg

Hurtin' Egos:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album190/IMG_0634.sized.jpg

Cruising:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/leavenworth2009076copy.sized.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/3652553719_044974b052_b.sized.jpg

Thanks for reading, guys. And thanks to everyone who helped me on the way - Squaab99t, Jim, philjohnjb, Breakin5speeds, Matthew, Daniel, PhilB, ejenner, Si, paulh, delorean, abdukted, HIDSPG, TheRedBaron, Palmer, JK, Saabeh, SaabMatt, Shadowworks, JaredS, li arc, Jak Stoll, the guys at Scanwest, Swedish Dynamics, and the hundreds of other supporters and helpers out there. Thanks to Gary Moore, Sab, VinceT, Jeff Proposki, Jon Williams, Dave Kennedy, Perry Ellington, Eric van Spelde, and many others who came before me and inspired me to build a c900.

And most importantly I thank my father. He probably won't read this, but he helped me out on every one of these projects and taught me everything I know about cars. Because of him, I can turn a wrench, paint, weld, upholster, and of course drive a manual! I can only hope to be a fraction as great as he has been, when my time comes.

ejenner
19th August 2009, 11:40 AM
When are you going to get those fog light lenses clear? :lol:

Fab summary. Enjoyed reading that.

So do you think you're finished with it and now time to just enjoy it? Or is there something else you still want to do?

Saabeh
19th August 2009, 12:42 PM
So this means you're selling the car to me now, right?

Aussiebob
19th August 2009, 05:45 PM
IJ - Thanks for the ride. Have followed (and inspired by) your build, trials and tribulations from way down here in Aust. Helped me and my sons with our SAABs.
Great words about your Dad. As a Dad doing likewise with my guys it is great to be appreciated. Yours may not read it but I am sure he knows.
Keep the faith and may the force be with you always.

TheRedBaron
20th August 2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/3652553719_044974b052_b.sized.jpg

Is that a gang sign? And to think, all this time I thought you were a good seed.

IronJoe
21st August 2009, 01:21 PM
Peace sign YDMF.

li Arc
21st August 2009, 04:02 PM
It's certainly been a fantastic journey, as I've followed your project and taken ideas from it. Your work is also very wide, from repairs to tuning to body work to interior stuff. I'm too lazy to work on my interior and too afraid to touch the exterior, but you go right in there with your paint booth and sand down then spray up your parts...I wish I had that kind of nerve! And time, let's not forget!

You give back to the board by documenting everything, which helps us follow your successes and avoid your pitfalls. You deserve all of the support you've received since it paves the way for everyone else. I never would have considered EDIS if I hadn't read it up on your pages. I hope your projects continue as you strive to show the world what you can do with a C900! All that's left now to say is, someday...

...let's ride! :cool:

li Arc

IronJoe
23rd August 2009, 06:25 PM
Couple of pics, freshly washed.

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/08_23_2009_004_small.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/08_23_2009_005_small.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/08_23_2009_003_small.jpg

Real Lyte
23rd August 2009, 07:18 PM
Great car man, I wanna turn my '89 turbo vert into that haha:lol:

IronJoe
30th August 2009, 11:27 PM
One thing I always disliked about these wheels was the design in the center. The exposed lugs and the square-cuts around each hole looked silly to me. A member sent over some SAAB center caps that would fit, so I spent the afternoon working on them.

The ID of the center cap hole on these wheels are too small, so I had to dremel out the center hole to allow the new caps to snap in. Very time consuming, but they work. They are all painted but need clearcoat which will go on tomorrow. The pic is just for a test fit.

Old:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/black_075_Large.sized.jpg

New:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/08_23_2009_005_small_001.jpg

philb
31st August 2009, 05:52 AM
Its personal taste, but I much prefer the old look..

Chris_R
31st August 2009, 09:36 AM
One thing I always disliked about these wheels was the design in the center. The exposed lugs and the square-cuts around each hole looked silly to me. A member sent over some SAAB center caps that would fit, so I spent the afternoon working on them.

The ID of the center cap hole on these wheels are too small, so I had to dremel out the center hole to allow the new caps to snap in. Very time consuming, but they work. They are all painted but need clearcoat which will go on tomorrow. The pic is just for a test fit.

Old:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/black_075_Large.sized.jpg

New:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/08_23_2009_005_small_001.jpg

That's funny - that is the same idea I had for the Simmons 5-spoke wheels I am looking at. :cheesy:

I actually like both looks.

Breakin5speeds
31st August 2009, 06:45 PM
Front Handbrake FTW. Effin Looks good, RUN it:lol:

I got to get back to building the Mork Monster....too busy with starting a business....Getting engine block back from the machine shop here in a day or so....Pics to come, gotta get T5 in and get on par with some of the more serious cars... ;)

SOAB
31st August 2009, 10:22 PM
Idk if I like it personally, it seems like it breaks up the flow of the wheel too much imo, but thats not what matters, what matters is that you like it, and This is deffinately one of my favorite Saabs of all time.

philjohnhb
1st September 2009, 03:47 AM
I think it's a great improvement, gives it an OE look and gets rid of that messy wheel centre. Nice job Aaron.

IronJoe
1st September 2009, 05:34 PM
Here's two pics from a local VW meet last weekend.

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/DSC_4875.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/DSC_4884.jpg

IronJoe
11th September 2009, 06:20 PM
FINALLY finished the new center caps installation. Ugh, that took forever. I'm very happy with the results though.

Before:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/08_23_2009_003_small.jpg

After:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/ctr_caps_003.jpg

Before:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/08_23_2009_005_small.jpg

After:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/ctr_caps_004.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album170/ctr_caps_006.jpg

saabmatt
11th September 2009, 06:47 PM
While we are talking wheels, what was the spec you ordered and correct me if I’m wrong didn’t you end up using some sort of spacer?

Looks spot on to me at the moment, level with the extension edge, fills the arch etc

So if you did it again what would you order to get the perfect fit without the spacer?

And I like it with and without the trim :D

ejenner
12th September 2009, 05:56 AM
Looks good. Hope they're fixed on nice and tight!

spgeebee88
12th September 2009, 01:20 PM
i love the look of the center caps! it makes the car look more "grown up"

white65
13th September 2009, 01:41 AM
IMO the new caps make the wheels lose their depth and apparent offset, kinda ricey. I liked the exposed lug-nuts with the little Saab center-cap, that to me looks classy.

I know you like to see others opinions so I threw mine in there. Either way I admire the crap out of the workings on your car. :cool:

IronJoe
13th September 2009, 02:22 PM
IMO the new caps make the wheels lose their depth and apparent offset, kinda ricey. I liked the exposed lug-nuts with the little Saab center-cap, that to me looks classy.

I know you like to see others opinions so I threw mine in there. Either way I admire the crap out of the workings on your car. :cool:

Thanks, I'm always open to opinions.

In general I like the exposed-lug look, but what bothered me is the dual bolt pattern. The set of four extra bolt holes makes it look cheap IMHO.

white65
13th September 2009, 06:24 PM
Of course on the other side of the token, the Saab flat caps will certainly be easier to clean :D.

I hate cleaning wheels and when looking at new wheels the ease of cleaning is one of my first considerations.

Chris_R
22nd September 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks, I'm always open to opinions.

In general I like the exposed-lug look, but what bothered me is the dual bolt pattern. The set of four extra bolt holes makes it look cheap IMHO.

Some stubby studs and a set of matching lug nuts would confound wheel snatchers and look kinda fly. :cheesy:

IronJoe
23rd September 2009, 04:21 PM
Well, burned through another clutch. Can't say I'm surprised :D

This time I think I'll go Spec Stage III. It'll all come apart again this winter, with the T5 (or T7 if I can find one) head swap.

99sven
23rd September 2009, 11:15 PM
Nice work man. It even looks better in real life than all the pictures I have admired the past few years. You going to post up some pictures from the ScanWest Barbie???

Gregg

IronJoe
24th September 2009, 09:56 AM
Nice work man. It even looks better in real life than all the pictures I have admired the past few years. You going to post up some pictures from the ScanWest Barbie???

Gregg

Thanks for the compliment Gregg! It was great to see your T5 car as well - nice work.

Here's a few of the Scanwest pics: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1600763&postcount=65

99sven
24th September 2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the links. I had more fun at the ScanWest Event then I did during an afternoon at the convention in CO. There were were some really nice 900's at the ScanWest gig. Rob told some funny stories about trying to tune the rally cars with early primitive standalone systems with 24 parameters. The cars revved to 10 k so they saved all the mapping points to above 3,000 rpm. There was no idle!!!

Afterwards Hans (gorper) and I hit the pull-a-part in Lynnwood and I scored a nice automatic tranny oil cooler (passenger side) for my tranny oil cooler project for 3 dollars.

Let me know when you are going to hit the dyno again. It would be fun to see what my T5 is now putting out.

Gregg

Squaab99t
25th September 2009, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the links. I had more fun at the ScanWest Event then I did during an afternoon at the convention in CO. There were were some really nice 900's at the ScanWest gig. Rob told some funny stories about trying to tune the rally cars with early primitive standalone systems with 24 parameters. The cars revved to 10 k so they saved all the mapping points to above 3,000 rpm. There was no idle!!!

Afterwards Hans (gorper) and I hit the pull-a-part in Lynnwood and I scored a nice automatic tranny oil cooler (passenger side) for my tranny oil cooler project for 3 dollars.

Let me know when you are going to hit the dyno again. It would be fun to see what my T5 is now putting out.

Gregg
24 cells? that is whacked. Another dyno day? I vote for Kito Autosport. The HP connection's dyno seemed to put out some inflated grades. I can put an event together if you guys feel the need for data...or bragging rights.

IronJoe
25th September 2009, 09:48 AM

Gregg

Yes it was quite fun. I think we should put together a c900 tech day, there are a lot of great classics around this area.

Maybe we do a T5 Head Swap tech day? ehh?

Breakin5speeds
28th September 2009, 01:55 PM
I can get you in contact with a T5 head....PM me

Saab-Daniel
3rd October 2009, 05:34 PM
Hi IJ!
Nice to see your car is looking good and blowing stuff up still - that's the spirit ;)
How is MS treating you, still ok?
Must say the fiddling with ECU's and re-mapping stuff is one of the most rewarding things for me, when working on cars - just so much fun!! :-)

Daniel.

ejenner
4th October 2009, 05:12 AM
What about an update on the 900 project rev?

I'm not sure tuning is quite so exciting for me. I used to work in computers. I did that for 10 years and only stopped a couple of months ago. Tuning an ECU would have been like work for me. It's more fun now though. Now I don't do computers any more.

IronJoe
4th October 2009, 02:18 PM
Hey Rev, good to see you on here again!

Yes, I am still blowing things apart as usual. MS has been great, the local guru has helped me quite a bit. He's getting a set of knock ears, so we'll be able to tune the knock detection circuit and the timing even closer. This winter I'll do a T5 (or T7 if I can find one) head swap and a couple other goodies, and dyno again when it's all done. I'd like a solid 350whp which I don't think is too much to ask.

For the street it's running 18psi which is around 280whp, still chirps 3rd but with a little throttle modulation, it's quick ;-)

Saab-Daniel
21st October 2009, 04:33 PM
Sounds great IJ!
Did you think about using the APC-system as knock-detection?
It's really working well on the cars I've used for it... :-)
EJ: Haven't had any time to do any work in the c900 - it's standing still... :(
Daniel.

ejenner
21st October 2009, 06:35 PM
Well don't do anything stupid like sell it or give up on it...!

Saab-Daniel
22nd October 2009, 03:35 PM
Hell no, will never sell!
Give up is not an option either - it will take forever though... :D
Daniel.

IronJoe
23rd October 2009, 09:46 AM
Sounds great IJ!
Did you think about using the APC-system as knock-detection?

Yes I did. The problem was I couldn't get the knock LED to work at the same time as sending the signal to MS. So I went with the KnocksenseMS module.

The side benefit is that we can tune the knock detection while driving with knock ears hooked up to the motor, so we can fine-tune the knock threshold better than the factory setup. Currently it's set pretty conservatively.

Saab-Daniel
23rd October 2009, 05:26 PM
OK, worked very well on the cars I've done it with, and you can actually quite easy make a mod to let the LED work together with the knocksense in MS. But good that you got it working, love that boost dosn't dissapear, and the power in the topend dosn't die as much! :)
Daniel.

Donkehote
9th November 2009, 08:37 PM
I think you're selling the 900 / 99 chassis a little short there Phil.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/sonett_01/Olaflying.jpg

The Saab 99 and 900's were used in competition. There was an official line of 99T works rally cars raced by the Saab factory rally team and Stig Blomvquist (amongst other drivers) - They only gave up when the Audi Quattro came along and development costs were starting to get out of control. I've actually found when really pushing my black 8v 2-door saloon that I was able to out-handle a lot of the more modern cars I was up against on occassions and that was with Nankang tyres. With Toyo R888's I think they wouldn't stand a chance.

Sorry, thought you were talking about the old Focus RS. That ones a 2.0 isn't it? Same Quaife diff as my car as well. The diff all the motoring journos love to hate.

Ive used R888 tires on my daily driver to toast A Lexus ISF!
and ym daily driver is a 1993 900S 2.1
they handle so well on R888 tires.

ejenner
10th November 2009, 02:31 AM
Tyres are for grip. So you mean they 'grip well' with TOYO R888's.

But none-the-less... the chassis design is good and a well prepared car will 'handle' really well. I've got my 99T16 back on the road recently and it grips and handles so well compared with the 9000 I was driving. I'm still getting used to driving it and still working on the mapping so to get it to go fast, but I've already had a chance to remember how well it handles and I'm really looking forward to taking it up into the boost when I get the mapping working well enough!

philb
10th November 2009, 04:51 AM
Driving has a part to play as well - this Supra driver was so pissed off that he wouldn't let me past for about 5 laps - blocked me through the corners and pulled a bit on the straights.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn114/smokeymurphy/Loyalty%20day/PhilSupra.jpg

ejenner
10th November 2009, 08:42 AM
Typical Supra driver... a fast Supra will perform well in a straight line but depends on if they've started messing with the low down performance in order to gain more up top... either way, those jap-car drivers often overestimate the cars abilites based just on the peak power figures achieved at the dyno. No wonder he was reluctant to give way to a 17 year old Saab.

Donkehote
11th November 2009, 06:34 PM
I had a similar thing with a Lexus ISF.

it was on a really small track, and he had no places to use the 300 hp he had over my daily driver, and it took him almost an entire session (25 mins) to catch up 2 seconds. after the session, he asked "whatchya got under the hood? its really fast!" to wich i replied, oh, not much, a 2.1 N/A engine, with no mods, and 410'000 KM on it! :cheesy:

borderwave2
19th November 2009, 02:41 PM
Joe, please do an NA version of the grey ghost.... Just in case you needed any ideas. :lol:

IronJoe
6th January 2010, 03:27 PM
Hey folks! Back again for an update. The Grey Ghost is tucked away for winter, and I am starting to draft plans for the year.

My to do list so far:
-Play with different springs to come up with a perfect ride height (not low enough)
-Head rebuild/t5 head swap?
-New clutch again... probably SPEC Stage 3
-Rework turbo oil return line
-Ceramic coat header (AGAIN!) :evil:
-Fix oil leak (cylinder block plate, grrr)
-New BOV (Synapse?)
-Tuning, tuning, tuning...

The majority of this project I consider to be "done". I had considered many options, including switching to a dual ball-bearing turbo like the GT30 or GT35 or similar. But I have decided that the turbo I have now is more than enough to upset traction on the front wheels - and I still haven't fully utilized it.

At minimum I will dp a head rebuild - still not sure if the T5 head swap is worth it at this point. It may be sufficient enough to do some porting/polishing.

I did toast the Swedish Dynamics clutch, so I'll be moving up once again to probably the SPEC stage 3. I also am not 100% happy with the HKS BOV so I may switch to the Synapse valve.

But the main item on my to-do list is tuning. As some may recall, I had attended a local dyno day at the last minute with no time to tune fuel or ignition at the high boost levels and upper RPMS. This left me with a rich mixture and very conservative timing at maximum power. My goal is to spend a good portion of my time this year on fine-tuning this section of the map, especially when it comes to ignition.

Minimum I would like to hit 350whp with the current hardware and I think that's more than doable. 375 would be nice. 400whp is on the high end and probably won't be achieved - but then again it's quite unnecessary for this drivetrain configuration.

As always, comments are welcomed. I also have a nice surprise coming next month for all you loyal c900 owners... which I will make sure to share with the board.

Squaab99t
6th January 2010, 09:04 PM
Hey folks! Back again for an update. The Grey Ghost is tucked away for winter, and I am starting to draft plans for the year.

My to do list so far:
-Play with different springs to come up with a perfect ride height (not low enough)
-Head rebuild/t5 head swap?
-New clutch again... probably SPEC Stage 3
-Rework turbo oil return line
-Ceramic coat header (AGAIN!) :evil:
-Fix oil leak (cylinder block plate, grrr)
-New BOV (Synapse?)
-Tuning, tuning, tuning...

The majority of this project I consider to be "done". I had considered many options, including switching to a dual ball-bearing turbo like the GT30 or GT35 or similar. But I have decided that the turbo I have now is more than enough to upset traction on the front wheels - and I still haven't fully utilized it.

At minimum I will dp a head rebuild - still not sure if the T5 head swap is worth it at this point. It may be sufficient enough to do some porting/polishing.

I did toast the Swedish Dynamics clutch, so I'll be moving up once again to probably the SPEC stage 3. I also am not 100% happy with the HKS BOV so I may switch to the Synapse valve.

But the main item on my to-do list is tuning. As some may recall, I had attended a local dyno day at the last minute with no time to tune fuel or ignition at the high boost levels and upper RPMS. This left me with a rich mixture and very conservative timing at maximum power. My goal is to spend a good portion of my time this year on fine-tuning this section of the map, especially when it comes to ignition.

Minimum I would like to hit 350whp with the current hardware and I think that's more than doable. 375 would be nice. 400whp is on the high end and probably won't be achieved - but then again it's quite unnecessary for this drivetrain configuration.

As always, comments are welcomed. I also have a nice surprise coming next month for all you loyal c900 owners... which I will make sure to share with the board.

Glad to hear you are still living the 900c dream. You need to put that Quaife LSD in. All that mojo is sweet for a dyno queen, but you will never get that 350 hp to the ground with only one drive wheel. I too would invest time and cash in tuning (on a chassis dyno). You will be able to optimize the hardware you have right now and increase your driveablity. Not sure if megasquirt has the ability to control boost level relative to gear and engine speed. That's the money to get the power to the road.

IronJoe
7th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Glad to hear you are still living the 900c dream. You need to put that Quaife LSD in. All that mojo is sweet for a dyno queen, but you will never get that 350 hp to the ground with only one drive wheel. I too would invest time and cash in tuning (on a chassis dyno). You will be able to optimize the hardware you have right now and increase your driveablity. Not sure if megasquirt has the ability to control boost level relative to gear and engine speed. That's the money to get the power to the road.

Yup LSD has been in for a while now. Boost per gear is a really cool idea, I have thought about it but haven't done much research as to what that entails. I have a few more little projects I will be working on, but the car is pretty complete at this point. I'm also starting to think about brakes...

In other news, looks like the Swedish Cruise-In is on Valentine's Day this year. Might not make this one! :roll:

Squaab99t
7th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Yup LSD has been in for a while now. Boost per gear is a really cool idea, I have thought about it but haven't done much research as to what that entails. I have a few more little projects I will be working on, but the car is pretty complete at this point. I'm also starting to think about brakes...

In other news, looks like the Swedish Cruise-In is on Valentine's Day this year. Might not make this one! :roll:

LSD :cool:... Gregg has been raving about his in the snow. I didn't see your post on the install. Pretty trick strategy to control boost that way. Brakes are good. The 900c or 9000s are good until you repetitively brake hard (track days) and they start to fade.
Got to make it to the Swedish Cruse in... Just bring your sweet seat cover:D

99sven
9th January 2010, 05:18 PM
True Love. Drove 2k kilo's over the holidays with the Hakka studs. TransCanada, I 90 in the US and deep snow parking lots. With the LSD the car is transformed on snow. So much more grip and pull in the corners. I really like my car right now.

ejenner
11th January 2010, 03:33 AM
Even with road my dry track-day tyres my 99 drives in the snow. They are fantastic snow cars.

kalsoi
4th February 2010, 11:07 AM
nice job,I'm in love with your car dude!

IronJoe
8th February 2010, 01:31 PM
The Grey Ghost has been featured in a major print magazine!
Finally some recognition for our beloved c900s!

http://blogs.eurotuner.com/6605431/editorials/march-2010-issue-of-eurotuner-out-now/index.html

Go out to your nearest bookstore/newsstand/etc and pick up the March 2010 copy of Eurotuner! There is a four page spread on my '87 Saab 900 Airflow Convertible, and a "Saab Tuning Guide". (I have no idea what's in the "tuning guide, no I didn't contribute anything to that article)

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album199/eurotuner_march_2010_issue_with_steven_ilagan_vw_g ti_cover.jpg

I will post up pics and the story when it's available online. I only have been emailed an advanced copy, haven't received it in the mail yet.

Saabeh
8th February 2010, 02:00 PM
Show us the advanced copy, noob.

mt.aero
8th February 2010, 02:43 PM
Good work on the mag spread Iron Joe! :cool:

IronJoe
8th February 2010, 02:56 PM
Show us the advanced copy, noob.
The quality of the scans is low. I will be upload my own hi-res scans when I get my mag.

Or you could just buy a copy ;)

SOAB
8th February 2010, 03:48 PM
No ****! Ive got a subscription to Eurotuner!!! I hope it comes in today! haha That is sick dude! Congrats!

IronJoe
10th February 2010, 08:40 PM
Some pretty low-quality scans, I will get better ones as soon as possible.

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album199/Eurotuner_feature_p1_2.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album199/Eurotuner_feature_p3_4.jpg

SOAB
13th February 2010, 01:56 PM
I got my issue in yesterday and loved it! I took some scans but im not sure how great they came out. I can post em up if you want me to though!

IronJoe
21st February 2010, 02:37 AM
Getting some exposure over at SaabsUnited...

http://www.saabsunited.com/2010/02/saab-900-featured-in-eurotuner-magazine.html

:cool:

EvanD
25th February 2010, 05:08 PM
I stop my subscription for eurotuner and this happens lol. But I went out and bought the issue, very cool.

Jared S
25th February 2010, 11:35 PM
I went out and bought a copy too.......good work man!

IronJoe
22nd March 2010, 02:35 PM
More Eurotuner stuff...

The article is now online here: http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/eurp_1003_1987_saab_900_turbo/index.html

Here are some bigger/better pictures from the article, including some not used for the print magazine.

Enjoy!
http://image.eurotuner.com/f/28116646/eurp_1003_10_o+1987_saab_900_turbo+rear_view.jpg

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/28116649/eurp_1003_11_o+1987_saab_900_turbo+front_view.jpg

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/28116652/eurp_1003_12_o+1987_saab_900_turbo+rag_top.jpg

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/28116655/eurp_1003_14_o+1987_saab_900_turbo+driving_shot.jp g

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/26874896/eurp_1003_13_o+1987_saab_900_turbo+rear_seating.jp g

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/26874884/eurp_1003_03_o+1987_saab_900_turbo+side.jpg

SOAB
22nd March 2010, 03:56 PM
Finally sent them a letter bout it the other day, I got the new issue and was hoping for the letter section to be filled with Saab comments and found a bunch of *****ing bout air ride and 1 thank you for a corrado.. haha

IronJoe
22nd March 2010, 04:10 PM
Finally sent them a letter bout it the other day, I got the new issue and was hoping for the letter section to be filled with Saab comments and found a bunch of *****ing bout air ride and 1 thank you for a corrado.. haha

It'll probably be in the next issue - they put the mag together WAY in advance. They had the March issue completed the first week of Feb, when I got sent the advance copy of the article.

The Corrado they're talking about was in the Jan. issue ;)

SOAB
22nd March 2010, 04:39 PM
I know and the letter was in the april issue haha

ejenner
29th March 2010, 04:37 AM
Some excellent pictures. But can I say once again how much I don't like the seats. Would that be allowed, sorry... :cheesy:

This is what you need!

IronJoe
23rd June 2010, 05:17 PM
It's that time again, another bump of this monstrous thread :cheesy:

The Grey Ghost just completed a 300+ mile cruise this weekend on the annual Leavenworth Drive. Over 700 European cars showed up for a drive into Leavenworth, a small German town in Washington State.

My co-pilot and I had a great time enjoying the cruise. Pictures are still coming in, but so far I have seen a few pics of my car.

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album209/DSC_1564_1.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album209/pict0408_orig.sized.jpg

Anyway, now that I made the drive and back, I can start working on a few things:

-I am not happy with my HKS SSQV blow off valve. Probably going to try the Synapse unit.

-Needs to be a bit lower in the front. It's got a bit of reverse rake at the moment.

-Turbo seems to be burning a bit of oil. Probably due to a kinked return hose I had on very briefly. I may rebuild it, or switch it out for a new turbo (depending on what kind of numbers SAABMATT puts down).

-Paint. The front bumper needs it, and I might as well repaint the car. I might do something "interesting" - looking at maybe a Matte Grey (http://www.vf-engineering.com/unsecured/E92M/vfm3.jpg).

-A few minor cosmetic changes. Probably.

saabmatt
23rd June 2010, 07:17 PM
(depending on what kind of numbers SAABMATT puts down).

YOU WHAT! :cheesy:

Saabeh
23rd June 2010, 09:45 PM
SAABMATT has some performance now? I have not been on Saabcentral in ages, annnd I would search but I can't now.

Anyways, why don't you hang out with any non-VW's?

ejenner
24th June 2010, 04:24 AM
I think Saabmatt has a little more going on that just a chunky turbo. You're a bit behind on the EMS front IronJoe. We'll see.

IronJoe
24th June 2010, 10:16 AM
Anyways, why don't you hang out with any non-VW's?

It was a European car cruise. I drove with some modded Volvos and some insane HPF BMWs for most of it. There were VW, Audi, MB, BMW, Mini, and Volvo cars in attendance.

I think Saabmatt has a little more going on that just a chunky turbo. You're a bit behind on the EMS front IronJoe. We'll see.You said it - We'll see. T5 or Standalone, as long as you have control over your engine parameters it doesn't matter - it's all in the tuning. As for hardware, he's got a better turbo than I do but I don't know what his bottom end is like - mine's built and can take a ton of boost.

I just need to get to installing this T7 head and I'll be ready to go.

YOU WHAT! :cheesy:Let's see it!! I have been patiently waiting for some competition to motivate me. Put up some huge numbers man!

IronJoe
1st July 2010, 02:07 PM
I am outlining all the modifications that need to be made to fit the T7 head - Squaab99t and I are going to get to work on this pretty soon. Watch this thread for more info!

Also I'm bored of my Magnaflow exhaust. Probably going to switch it up.

IronJoe
7th July 2010, 04:29 PM
The mad scientists and I met this weekend and came up with solutions for retrofitting a T7 head to a c900.

Develop bolt-on bridge piece which will fill the timing cover gap AND provide a threaded boss to mount the power steering bracket
Add material to pass. motor mount bracket
Cut T7 manifold at flange, weld to 2.1L manifold preserving the correct angle
Drill hole in manifold for c900 coolant temp sensor
Drew P's B202 adjustable cam gears

Installation:

Use T7 head gasket
Use T7 intake manifold gasket
Modify turbo coolant connection from manifold to head
Use c900 2.1L fuel rail and FPR
Adjust cam gears for shorter head, degree cams

T7 head from 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero with 70k:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album210/IMG_2696.sized.jpg

Intake manifold:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album210/IMG_2701.sized.jpg

Close-up of port with injector cutout. After the injector, this cutout disappears and the runner is just rectangular.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album210/IMG_2704.sized.jpg

The phenolic spacer is for a 2.1L c900 manifold. This shows that besides the injector cutouts, the port sizes are of similar sizes:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album210/IMG_2700.sized.jpg

I was told the T7 manifold runners were "way too big" and a cut & weld wouldn't work. But as you can see, the runners neck down to a rectangular shape around 3-4" before the flange. The OD of these runners at this point is very similar to the c900 2.1L runners, and from our analysis the ID is very similar as well.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album210/IMG_2706.sized.jpg

Because we will cut & weld here, the mounts for the c900 fuel rail still exist as they are further back on the runners. This allows us to keep the c900 fuel rail, FPR, etc making this as minimally invasive as possible.

Also, there aren't spots on the T7 manifold flange for coolant access. I need access to coolant for two things - Coolant Temp Sensor and coolant for the turbo. Currently this is provided by threaded holes between the runners.

We can pull coolant for the turbo from the same place the 9-5 gets its turbo coolant. For the CLT, we need to drill a hole in the manifold between the ports, and pop out the plug in the T7 head to get access to coolant. I plan on tapping the manifold and cutting a hole in the intake manifold gasket to allow the sensor access to coolant.

saabmatt
7th July 2010, 06:58 PM
Just a note to the plans, you will need to check/confirm the T7 head gasket will work, the main part around the cylinder will be fine the potential problem area could again be around the timing cover.

If it is indeed a problem and you find yourself needing to use a B202 head gasket then a “bolt-on bridge piece which will fill the timing cover” wont be enough as there is two areas that need to be dealt with.

The area by the bolt holes (as above)
The area at the bottom of the timing cover, as the timing chain hole is longer on the T5/T7 head

Edit found a pic. :cheesy:

http://www.terrimoore.co.uk/matt/headmods.jpg

As you know I had both welded then the head skimmed.

ejenner
8th July 2010, 07:32 AM
Where does the 9-5 take it's coolant temp read from?

IronJoe
8th July 2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks saabmatt. I'm going to get some head gaskets to play with this week, and we'll determine which will be best suited for this mod.

ejenner
8th July 2010, 12:34 PM
Don't get the Scantech gasket. Vastly inferior to the OEM Elring gasket. I was doing a head replacement for a 9000 Aero a few weeks ago and the Scantech headgasket that comes in the headgasket kit has been given to the customers 3 year old to use as a toy. Was no good for fitting to the car.

I fitted a similar cheap headgasket to my 99 about a year ago and it wasn't even used for 10 minutes due to extreme low quality. Was leaking everywhere and had to be replaced immediately. That wasn't a Scantech one but it looked the same as the Scantech one.

The Scantech gasket has less sealant, thinner construction and smaller fire rings than the OEM elring gasket. I had them both side by side for a close inspection.

IronJoe
8th July 2010, 12:49 PM
Interesting... I've only ever bought elring head gaskets.

The Elring gasket is only $20 - how much cheaper could the Scantech be?

EDIT: The T7 gasket is $40. Still... cheap.

li Arc
8th July 2010, 12:56 PM
eEuroParts no longer seems to sell the elring headgaskets, which is what I bought from them the last time I did my headgasket. They're selling an "Elwis" brand HG set, I'm not certain how this stacks up...I'm not even sure where you can get the elrings anymore.

li Arc

IronJoe
8th July 2010, 12:58 PM
eEuroParts no longer seems to sell the elring headgaskets, which is what I bought from them the last time I did my headgasket. They're selling an "Elwis" brand HG set, I'm not certain how this stacks up...

li Arc

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8819831

Elring.

li Arc
8th July 2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8819831

Elring.

Hmmm, looks like this only affects my '85 then. No elrings there.

li Arc

ejenner
9th July 2010, 04:06 AM
The cheap ones aren't always cheaper either: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Saab_900_2.0_1990/p/Car-Parts/Engine-Parts/Engine-Parts/Gaskets-and-Seals/?366880020&1&1ee306dc603b5e0e5162e418ff4a2e76dd5879ab&HDGK

If the link does not work on your computer, that shows an un-branded gasket for £16.00 including taxes.

The elring gasket which seems to be only available from the Saab dealer in this country is about £20.00

So very little difference in the price.

TooMany2cvs
9th July 2010, 05:30 AM
The elring gasket which seems to be only available from the Saab dealer in this country is about £20.00

The head gasket I got from PfS was an Elring.
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=1904

ejenner
9th July 2010, 06:29 AM
The one I was given to fit to the 9000 also came as part of an 'aftermarket Swedish supplied headgasket set'

PFS also sell genuine head gasket sets. Are you sure the one you ordered was the cheaper one that you linked to? Didn't you change your head a long time ago? Isn't it possible that the contents of the Scantech head gasket set has changed in the last couple of years? The packaging seems to have been updated from what I remember, maybe contents as well! That might explain it.

I know Scantech change stuff. Their rubber o-ring for sealing the rocker cover was woefully inadequate at one stage. It has since been updated as the kit I used recently contained a rocker gasket of OEM quality. Previously it had been half the diameter of the OEM specification and leaked like a sieve... even with buckets of sealant it was still very difficult to stop oil pouring out of the rocker cover.

Conclusion, it is now ok to trust the Scantech rocker cover gasket but the headgasket is now the one to watch out for! :lol:

TooMany2cvs
9th July 2010, 06:33 AM
PFS also sell genuine head gasket sets. Are you sure the one you ordered was the cheaper one that you linked to?

Yes - I checked the order history.

Didn't you change your head a long time ago?

Jan '08.

li Arc
9th July 2010, 09:57 AM
I need to order my HG set, but I want to know I'm getting elring. The PFS image you linked to says Scantech? I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from PFS anyhow, perhaps I need to contact them and make certain they have an elring HG set for the '85, since no one else seems to.

li Arc

TooMany2cvs
9th July 2010, 01:26 PM
I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from PFS anyhow, perhaps I need to contact them and make certain they have an elring HG set for the '85, since no one else seems to.

That's pretty much what I did - I phoned, and said "Genuine or 'alternative'" - and they said "They're both Elring gaskets". So...

ejenner
10th July 2010, 09:43 AM
Elring is genuine, so if it is elring then it's ok.

The 9000 I did was an early 2.3. In theory, the kit should contain the same headgasket as the 2.0 kit for the 900.

The lastime I bought a PFS HG set it was for my Carlsson and I bought their 'Genuine' kit rather than the 'alternative' kit.

If there are different head gaskets in the different kits even when they are both the 'alternative' kit then that would be strange but I suppose it's possible.

For the 9000 2.3 the kit was supplied in a slim white cardboard box with Scantech graphics on the outside. The headgasket in that kit was the wobbly one and I didn't use it.

IronJoe
19th November 2010, 05:13 PM
Figured I'd bump up this thread to show you all what I've been working on lately. The Grey Ghost is tucked away for winter, while I tinker away at this:

It's a 1988 BMW M3.

I've always loved the e30 M3, and last month I had an opportunity to snag one at a project-price. It's a rare color combination, and it's staying pretty much all stock.

I already sourced some 16" BBS cross-spoke wheels to replace these, and I've done quite a bit of work on it already. Plans are to make it a reliable driver. No show car garage queen. It's got 190k miles, paint isn't perfect, but it is absolutely a blast to drive. Light, great balance RWD with LSD, 2.3L 16v 4-cyl with an 8,000 RPM redline. So much fun.

It's not a powerhouse per se (195bhp) but it is the delivery of that power that makes this car worth it.

Pics:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album216/IMG_3088.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album216/IMG_3084.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album216/IMG_3078.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album216/IMG_3086.jpg

After a paint-correction detail:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/IMG_3251.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/IMG_3258.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/IMG_3252.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/IMG_3257.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/IMG_3253.jpg

KurBads
21st November 2010, 01:59 PM
what`s that trunk lid? not original, right?

KPAero
21st November 2010, 03:38 PM
what looks not original about the trunk lid?

TooMany2cvs
21st November 2010, 07:17 PM
what`s that trunk lid? not original, right?

For a generic E30, no. For an M3, yes.

philb
22nd November 2010, 06:10 AM
Wow.. Best of luck with her :) And yes, its not a car to be kept locked away - drive it like its meant to be driven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkYx3mHSR5Y

philb
22nd November 2010, 06:19 AM
Staying mostly stock - I remember seeing those words posted by you before :D
Its not a crime to modify an m3 sensibly, its a bit of a crime to stick a euro s50b32 in there.

IronJoe
22nd November 2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, trunk lid is standard M3.

Thanks guys, it's a fun project. There are hundreds of little things to do, right now I'm tracing down all the little electrical issues (mostly stemming from bad grounds).

It's an amazing car to drive. It's very forgiving, handles brilliantly, and it makes even a remotely decent driver feel like a cornering superhero. "point and shoot" is an understatement.

As for the "stock" comment :D I'll be adding things, but they'll be OEM BMW parts like the EVO II front spoiler, and european headlamps. That will be one of the cosmetic changes I make, along with wheels. And yeah, NO MOTOR SWAP.

Mounting these OEM BMW wheels in place of the TSWs:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/IMG_3261.png

SpecialTool
25th November 2010, 07:48 AM
Man that's cute, we didn't get the E30 M3 here. Love the quattroesque fender bulges.

VikingSpirit
1st December 2010, 08:12 PM
It's an amazing car to drive. It's very forgiving, handles brilliantly, and it makes even a remotely decent driver feel like a cornering superhero.

That's how they get you. The BMW E30 is a reknowned "biter", they do indeed handle brilliantly by and large, but then sometimes you can think you've got it all in hand at it will suddenly let go, and when they do they go hard. I had a mate had one of these which spun out without warning mid corner in the wet and put him into a tree, luckily he hit the passenger side otherwise he would have been in hospital!
Even the Journalists for Evo magazine (who regularly drive exotica like lambos and ferraris at silly speeds) had one and managed to stuff it into the armco on the way to a track day.

Don't let you're guard down is all I'm saying! ;ol;

philb
6th December 2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah, the rear suspension design means that they can let go of rear end grip rather suddenly. I think by stiffening it up and reducing the amount of roll, this can be controlled better. I've only driven an e30 once, twas at a trackday, and it was a 325i, which unfortunately has a large iron block 6 pot in front. So, understeer was the predominant characteristic - that can be solved with judicious use of the right foot :)
Lot of fun, I'd love an e30 m3 at some point, but they are pricey.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/frequencymodulated/LCI300710/DPP_0022.jpg

ejenner
6th December 2010, 09:57 AM
Don't know how the E30 feels to drive as I've not driven one of those. I did drive a E36 quite a bit though. For the E36 they went mad trying to undo the tail-happy performance of the E30. It has a new rear end and the chassis seems to be prone to understeer if you push it gently beyond its limit. No doubt if you did everything you could to invoke oversteer then you could get there eventually in the E36 and I'm sure the more power the E36 has the easier it would be to get it swinging sideways. The one I drove only really wanted to understeer.

The E36 'Compact' has the old E30 rear-end. So if you want an E36 body with E30 handling then the 'Compact' is the one to go for. Cheaper as well. Not available with the 6-pot from the factory though.

philb
6th December 2010, 10:06 AM
Well, in the e36 they vastly improved the rear suspension. It has great traction and great cornering grip. When it does let go ( usually through provocation, its predictable and controllable ).
Unfortunately this shows up the front suspension, which they didn't increase grip on to match the rear end. On a 6 pot, the lack of optimization ( conservative geometry )means it pushes on into understeer, and on the non-m3 6-pots, attempts to rectify this with the right foot only lead to more understeer, as the non-limited diff just sends more power to the inside wheel and shoves the car straight ahead. I had an e36 325i for the road and hated it. By contrast my e36 325i track car has an LSD and corners brilliantly.

did you drive a 4 pot or a 6 pot? the 4 pot is worlds apart, all alloy engine, set very far back in the engine bay. I am driving a stock e36 316 at the moment and cannot make it understeer. It can even be made to oversteer off throttle with some nice trail braking :)

ejenner
6th December 2010, 10:47 AM
the one I had was a 318.

TooMany2cvs
6th December 2010, 10:50 AM
I did drive a E36 quite a bit though.

I had several as co.cars back in the day. Year or two old, main dealer maintained, on good tyres.

No doubt if you did everything you could to invoke oversteer then you could get there eventually in the E36

It was too easy. Far too easy.

The one I drove only really wanted to understeer.

Plenty of that, too.

the one I had was a 318.

Yep, so were mine.

Deeply, deeply, deeply over-rated cars. Fortunately, they're rotting badly these days so are getting scarce.

ejenner
6th December 2010, 11:03 AM
Agreed, probably the worst of the family. The earlier cars E23, E30 had classical charm and the later E46's were more sophisticated. The E36 was the old knacker in the middle. Every E36 owner would object to that opinion but I'd like to think I'm honest about these things, there are plenty of Saab's I don't like so not just a cloth-eared critic.

VikingSpirit
11th December 2010, 09:23 PM
The main problem with the E30 is the back end grip is actually very good, but when it goes its the devils own job to save it, you have to be lightning quick with the countersteer or the back end is gone and your are a passenger. Similarly you have to be extra quick and precise winding the countersteer off again otherwise the rear end just snaps out the otherway,

Jared S
18th August 2011, 02:30 PM
Nice snag on the E30 M3 Ironjoe! Since we're on the topic of BMW's I may as well show you guys what my next project was after my 900. Here is my 1986 535i that I turbocharged and megasquirted. Quick specs on it are 320ishp and just under 400 ft-lb at the wheels and a best 1/4 mile of 12.73 @ 107 mph on slicks. The car is a blast to drive with all the torque.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3224627/1986-bmw-5-series
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=83077&highlight=

IronJoe
19th August 2011, 02:30 PM
Hey Jared! Your bimmer sounds like an absolute street terror ;ol; Nice work!

Here's what the M3 looks like now, I've been putting most of my time into it instead of the 'vert.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/photo.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/E30%20M3/Picture1381.jpg

The 'vert will be back for 2012 with new wheels, tires, suspension, interior upgrades and maybe some bodywork. Current wheels are FOR SALE. (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216958)

IronJoe
15th February 2012, 11:52 AM
Aaaaand we're back :cool:

New wheels are en route. All the math is done, and the new setup should be in and on the car within the next few weeks. To say I'm excited is a massive understatement!

ejenner
15th February 2012, 12:25 PM
Lookin forward to the piccies ;ol;

IronJoe
27th February 2012, 08:20 PM
Alright, for those keeping score: This is what 18x8 wheels look like on a classic 900!

Specs: Rays Engineering/Volk Racing "Volk III" wheels. Two piece lightweight forged, late '90s JDM. 18x8, ET41. Yes you read that right... Very high offset, took a lot of work to get them to fit. Tires are 205/40R18 Nitto Neo Gen, very slightly stretched on an 8" wide rim.

16mm front spacers + ARP extended studs. 25mm rear bolt-on spacers. Final ET front: 25mm, rear: 16mm. Unfortunately the longer front studs are a bit too long and the center caps don't fit on correctly - fixing that shortly. Also will be going back to adjustable springs to get a bit lower in the front.

Pics:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/9b6e41a9.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012016.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012013.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012011.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012010.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012009.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012005.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012002.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012001.jpg

robcourson1
27th February 2012, 08:39 PM
was that looks amazing.

ejenner
28th February 2012, 04:48 AM
Have you adjusted the rear axle mounting point yet? ;ol;

You can spin that round and get the rear wheels to move forward about an inch. You have to extend the upper link-arms by the same amount.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/download/file.php?id=10711&t=1

wbrook_ford
28th February 2012, 05:06 PM
The car looked great with the old wheels, but this is just sick!

Nice beemer too.

li Arc
28th February 2012, 06:15 PM
Heh, looks like somebody else caught the mesh rim bug! Those look like Volk VSXX wheels, esp. with the 4/5 bolt pattern I can see behind the front centre cap. But for me, the spokes are too convex and not deep enough, and I quite preferred your previous wheels. I assume if you could have found lower offset rims (which would probably give you deeper spokes), you would have...

At any rate, looking forward to see what else your devious mind is planning for this machine. Welcome back!

li Arc

rawill
29th February 2012, 04:51 AM
Must be a bumpy ride though, how does it handle on metal (gravel) roads!!

IronJoe
29th February 2012, 07:38 PM
Have you adjusted the rear axle mounting point yet? ;ol; I never actually had the need to do this. Just lucky I guess.

Heh, looks like somebody else caught the mesh rim bug! Those look like Volk VSXX wheels, esp. with the 4/5 bolt pattern I can see behind the front centre cap. But for me, the spokes are too convex and not deep enough, and I quite preferred your previous wheels. I assume if you could have found lower offset rims (which would probably give you deeper spokes), you would have...

At any rate, looking forward to see what else your devious mind is planning for this machine. Welcome back!

li ArcOh yeah I've loved the mesh look for a long time. As you know choosing wheels for these cars is really tough. I like the Work VS-XX but honestly I did a bunch of photoshops and they just look too "new" of a design on a c900 *imho*. I had a shop ready to build me a set in the size I wanted but I backed out after seeing what it would look like. They look great on G35s and such, but not an old saab.

As far as other new stuff, besides front springs I'm going to be doing a HID projector retrofit.

Must be a bumpy ride though, how does it handle on metal (gravel) roads!!Uh.... Very stiff ride, tarmac only for this car. It will never see gravel.

dmgb5
2nd March 2012, 07:14 PM
As far as other new stuff, besides front springs I'm going to be doing a HID projector retrofit.

Morimoto H1's or something else?

IronJoe
30th March 2012, 04:47 PM
Finished the latest suspension setup. This is as low as I can reasonably go.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/ddc26a4d.jpg

ejenner
31st March 2012, 03:37 AM
I never actually had the need to do this. Just lucky I guess.

Not really so much a question of 'needing' to do it but just the way it looks if you don't do it. Obviously Saab wouldn't have designed the car so the suspension does not work so don't need to make the adjustment. Simply the case that when you lower the rear end the wheels move backward in the wheel arch opening.

You can see in this picture that the wheels have a bigger gap at the front compared to the back

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/2012011.jpg

Squaab99t
31st March 2012, 12:11 PM
Finished the latest suspension setup. This is as low as I can reasonably go.

"I can reasonably go." That is funny. Looks pretty pimped out. ;ol;

Krizzie
1st April 2012, 05:03 PM
Do you have any suspension left? :lol:

If I lowered my car this much I wouldn't be able to get out of the driveway.. :lol:

Malko
8th April 2012, 11:08 PM
looks good ironjoe! i could use some help this weekend on my saaby if youre available!!!

IronJoe
12th July 2012, 01:28 PM
Bye-bye MS.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/f5d895cb.jpg

ejenner
12th July 2012, 02:19 PM
Going T5 I suspect? ;ol;

Here's a tip:

http://www.uksaabscentral.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=4&image_id=85

http://www.uksaabscentral.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=4&image_id=228

saabmatt
12th July 2012, 02:36 PM
Going T5 I suspect? ;ol;

Here's a tip:

How long did it take you to design that? :lol:

ejenner
12th July 2012, 03:17 PM
I copied it from you. So no time at all. It's labelled in my gallery as saabmatt flywheel mod (or something) ;ol;

It's the way I wanted to do it with my motec installation back in 2004 but could never get my act together on that. In the end I went with a 36-1 trigger-wheel welded to the crank pulley.

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/gallery/99t16/full/crank_sensor_001.jpg

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/gallery/99t16/full/crank_sensor_002.jpg

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/gallery/99t16/full/crank_sensor_004.jpg

saabmatt
12th July 2012, 03:31 PM
Yee Ha!!

ejenner
12th July 2012, 04:00 PM
yeah, it only fell off once. Had to threadlock the bolts. It's been alright since then. ;ol;

http://www.uksaabscentral.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=6&image_id=135

rawill
12th July 2012, 04:23 PM
Two things!!!

Ironjoe, I don't believe it, I thought you were MS forever ;ol;
Ejenner, great pic and great idea.
Is that wheel with the slots especially made up.

I ask as a mate, gustavm, is thinking of T5ing his C900.

ejenner
12th July 2012, 04:41 PM
Two things!!!

Ironjoe, I don't believe it, I thought you were MS forever ;ol;
Ejenner, great pic and great idea.
Is that wheel with the slots especially made up.

I ask as a mate, gustavm, is thinking of T5ing his C900.

It was Matt's idea. He's quite sensitive about it despite it not being that original. :lol:;)

The pattern is cut into the back of a normal flywheel.

IronJoe
12th July 2012, 05:14 PM
That flywheel is great EJ! Very cool.

I'm going with Squaab's CPS kit. Mounts the trigger wheel on the crank pulley and CPS mounted where my EDIS VR sensor was.

IronJoe
21st August 2012, 02:14 PM
Slow and steady, we're getting it together!

I finally got the new core support painted and installed, along with a new radiator. Front of the car is all put back together (bumper, lights, grille, etc). Will be running sans hood until my dual-vent hood is painted.

Installed:
-Squaab's CPS kit + trigger wheel + Saab crank position sensor
-1989+ speedometer

To be installed:
-T5 harness
-Synapse synchronic BOV
-3 bar MAP sensor
-SPEC Stage III clutch
-Flywheel

This Saturday is the T5 install/tuning day.

DustinS
21st August 2012, 02:23 PM
What all did you need for the t5? or are you using a lot of stuff from MS? also where did you pick up the t5 harness?

Cark
21st August 2012, 07:18 PM
What all did you need for the t5? or are you using a lot of stuff from MS? also where did you pick up the t5 harness?

There is a sticky all about T5ing a c900 at the top of the perf board, also lots info over on SAABlink.net

Mike D and I just did T5 in my 85 a week ago (in a day)... still fine tuning it, but god is it sweet!!!

ejenner
23rd August 2012, 08:44 AM

The way you've got to think about it is that the engine in your c900 is the same as the engine in the donor car. Forget that it had any engine control and imagine that you are making it the same as the donor car.

Or from another point of view... just imagine all the 900 is going to provide is power, ground, speed signal, ignition-on signal and the ECU feeds a taco and CEL signal back. Apart from those connections everything else happens between the ECU and the engine sensors.

crwchf01
23rd August 2012, 01:30 PM
The way you've got to think about it is that the engine in your c900 is the same as the engine in the donor car. Forget that it had any engine control and imagine that you are making it the same as the donor car.

Or from another point of view... just imagine all the 900 is going to provide is power, ground, speed signal, ignition-on signal and the ECU feeds a taco and CEL signal back. Apart from those connections everything else happens between the ECU and the engine sensors.

Beef or chicken tac(h)o?

DustinS
23rd August 2012, 02:03 PM
reading up on t5, you choose which meat the ECU feeds you ;ol;

ejenner
24th August 2012, 09:12 AM
Not being a yank (phew!) means I don't really have to care how I abbriviate that particular word as taco isn't really a word in everyday use here. Sure I know what you're getting at but not bothered. Anyway... fancy the yanks trying to explain how to save stuff. Can I have some 'erbs' on my tacho when it comes. :confused:

crwchf01
24th August 2012, 02:21 PM
Not being a yank (phew!) means I don't really have to care how I abbriviate that particular word as taco isn't really a word in everyday use here. Sure I know what you're getting at but not bothered. Anyway... fancy the yanks trying to explain how to save stuff. Can I have some 'erbs' on my tacho when it comes. :confused:
Ya got me there..."erbs"? Got my ESD bags and bonding gear for all the electronics and I do remember hearing about an RAF language mixup that got them to using the Yank term propeller. Had to do with a base out of airscrews, and getting a full set of aircrews instead. Always ready to learn. You ask for "erbs on your tacho" here and the narcotics squad is going to want to know what exactly you meant.:lol:

rawill
24th August 2012, 04:29 PM
;ol; hehe :lol:

IronJoe
27th August 2012, 03:14 PM
T5 Install:

Here’s a recap of everything that went down this weekend. We spent a lot of time chasing down silly little errors unfortunately, but ultimately we got the car running!

We started a little after noon on Saturday – Daniel (dmgb5) came up from Portland to help with the install. I had sent him my stock(ish) LH harness and a ’95 900SE harness (thanks turbojohnny!) and he spliced, connected, and wrapped it up into the most amazing plug and play install ever. I know when I’m in too deep – I have very little confidence when it comes to wiring so I outsourced this to Daniel. Between his harness and Dennis’ (Squaab99t) CPS kit, the T5 conversion is cake. If you have a c900, this should be your first mod. Period.

The plan: Plug in the harness, get it running, and go road tuning. The reality: most of the day was spent fixing problems.

Issue #1: Hydrolocked?
We plugged in the harness and went to start the car, and here was the first snag: the motor wouldn’t turn over. I was scared to death that I had hydrolocked the motor when it had filled with gas (see my previous thread on the MS Meltdown). But I was able to crank the motor over by hand, so I squirted some oil down in the cylinders and it turned right over. Crisis averted, but…

Issue #2: CPS Interference?
We were cranking with not a hint of a pop or sputter. We immediately assumed the CPS kit was installed incorrectly. It checked out fine, so we swapped in a known good crank position sensor. Still no start, but I noticed something strange – the trigger wheel looked like it was getting marked up somehow. It turns out, the CPS was too close to the wheel and actually touching! With help from Mike D via satellite, we spaced the CPS using a washer and reinstalled. NOW we were getting a proper RPM readout in T5Suite while cranking. But still no start.

Issue #3: I can has fuel?
Initially I planned on swapping in some stock T5 redtop injectors to get the car running – I bailed on that idea and decided to keep running my Siemens. I ran the ECU wizard for larger injectors, but was that the problem? Were the plugs getting fouled, drenched with gasoline? It didn’t seem that way. In fact, we pulled the plugs TWICE and they didn’t seem wet enough. But we cracked open the rail and gas spilled out so we knew fuel was getting to the injectors. What was the problem?
Well, on the night of the MS Meltdown I had tried to start the car and get it home. This involved turning over the motor with the plugs out to dry out the combustion chambers. When you do this, you pull the fuel pump fuse so you’re not spraying even more gas into the car. And guess what? I never put the fuel pump fuse back in. I think we collectively uttered every expletive on the planet.
Looking back on it, we should known that the fuel pump wasn’t turning on, but WE HAD FUEL IN THE RAIL so we never really chased that down. WTF? I don’t get how that was possible. Anyway, we plugged in the relay and BAM! Car is running on T5!

Issue #4: Timing? Lambda? Idle?
So it was running on T5… horribly. Immediately we check out the timing and because the nature of replacement crank pulleys, the timing can be off when installing the CPS kit. We checked the timing at the flywheel using a timing light: 0* BTDC, but the ECU was reading 7*. So we enter the offset correction. Still running terribly. Hmm… not getting an o2 readout! We spend an hour on this and realize we forgot to reconnect the o2 after we were doing some testing chasing down the no-start issue. Again, every expletive imaginable.
Lastly, the idle is crazy high. We spend a while in T5Suite trying to correct this when I notice a strange sucking sound from the driver’s seat – oh, I didn’t plug in the back of the boost gauge when I put the dash back together. N00B. But even still – the car is running really poorly.

Issue #5: Care to join us, cyl #1?
I was poking around in the motor trying to figure out what caused the poor running condition. I got to the injectors, which as we know make a distinct “clicking” you can both see and feel as they open and close. Guess what? Cylinder #1 injector wasn’t clicking. Uh oh. I unplug the connector for that injector expecting the car to die, and… no change. So the car has been running on only 3 cylinders this ENTIRE TIME and I didn’t pick up on it. EXPLETIVE. We trace it back to a bad connection in the signal wire for cylinder #1’s injector. I cut out the bad splice, and Hallelujah! We’re firing on all cylinders!

Issue #6: T5Suite asplode!
My current problem is that T5Suite isn’t working properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and the .Net Framework to no resolution. When I try to edit maps I get a Windows Component error for the grid. I can’t make ANY changes. Which is pretty bad considering I need this thing tuned in five days for Saturday’s dyno day.

Some pictures:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion001.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion003.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion004.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion005.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion006.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion014.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion015.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion017.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion018.jpg

rawill
27th August 2012, 03:55 PM
Great stuff, good write up, glad you put in your mistakes.

We never learn much from success, but when we make a mistake and find it we learn.

Thank you for sharing your learning.

It is usually the simple things that catch us out.

I had a similar one injector not working when I put together a car I had bought in bits, my 93 griffen.
The PO had started the job, and taken off bits that didn't need to be taken off, including the oil pipe connector down the back of the block, between the firewall and the engine!
Made a mess wehen it started on 3!~!

li Arc
27th August 2012, 04:10 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/T5conversion005.jpg

Very schmexy, I'd love to have wiring done for me! It's probably the least favorite problem to deal with, period! I also heard that when pulling harnesses from existing cars you usually end up with something that's shorter than the LH harness set, which can be a huge pain. How long is your final harness? If most of the connectors can still be bought from something like DIYAutotune, I may yet try to make my own...

li Arc

IronJoe
27th August 2012, 07:46 PM
li arc - the entire harness was lengthened to allow ECU mounting in the stock location.

============================================

Alright, I finally got my PC issues sorted out today and was able to do some real driving.

First off, this is probably the best this car has run overall since I've had it. Obviously it isn't tuned yet so it's not nearly as fast as it was before, but wow. The drivability has gone up at least 50%. Coming from decel to accel and back again used to be sort of jerky on MS, now it's just like a car should be.

Driving around, the car feels great. It needs a lot of help tuning, the boost builds VERY slow and tops out at around 1 bar. But it's truly a joy to drive. (Besides it being low, loud, teeth-rattling, stiff, uncomfortable, etc)

I have really high hopes for this setup, It's by far the best the car has ever driven. I'm really in heaven...

Huge thanks goes out to the following people: Mike D, Squaab, dmgb5, turbojohnny, Saabeh, 99sven, Nate, grkguy, Cark, crwchf01 and everyone else!

A shot of it parked:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/D2FE9193-3D54-4D4F-A4C0-16682B275732-1193-00000129E5ABA921.jpg?

kuponut
27th August 2012, 11:01 PM
That picture is not taken near a Cowgirls stand, I know a certain chf with a plethora of c900's that will be most disappointed in you.

Since A/C is removed from my car anyhow and I'd never put it back on anyways, I've been considering the T5 change.

crwchf01
28th August 2012, 09:39 AM
That picture is not taken near a Cowgirls stand, I know a certain chf with a plethora of c900's that will be most disappointed in you.

Since A/C is removed from my car anyhow and I'd never put it back on anyways, I've been considering the T5 change.
Nah, not disappointed.. none in his immediate area:cheesy:

philb
28th August 2012, 11:04 AM
Did the T7 head ever go onto the car?

IronJoe
29th August 2012, 11:12 AM
Not yet Phil.

I'm going to tune this set of hardware to a reasonable level, then depending on how happy I am with the setup I'll introduce some hardware changes.

philb
29th August 2012, 11:15 AM
Reason I ask is I have read your threads here and on TSL, and it seems to be quite the job. It was obviously off putting for you. I have just acquired a T7 head on the cheap, but that seems to be just the start of it. I may have to just stick with a standard head for now.

Squaab99t
4th September 2012, 08:59 PM
Aaron did very well considering a few weeks ago he was still doing the ECU transplant.
Aaron and I were the book ends to the dyno day. All had a great time. Some disappointment, but the dyno pulls no punches. Motivation to figure out your next engine mod.

Pacific NW Dyno day R&H Garage Seattle WA - YouTube

saabmatt
4th September 2012, 09:08 PM
Reason I ask is I have read your threads here and on TSL, and it seems to be quite the job. It was obviously off putting for you. I have just acquired a T7 head on the cheap, but that seems to be just the start of it. I may have to just stick with a standard head for now.

Phil the T7 head is going to be a pain, much better off with the T5 head, just doing my second one now (paid £40 for it) for my track car, build thread here http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69068&start=260

Will have full details etc the head and manifold are being welded now should be done this week.

IronJoe
5th September 2012, 03:29 PM
Aaron did very well considering a few weeks ago he was still doing the ECU transplant.
Aaron and I were the book ends to the dyno day. All had a great time. Some disappointment, but the dyno pulls no punches. Motivation to figure out your next engine mod.

Pacific NW Dyno day R&H Garage Seattle WA - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbnCgI7gbRg)

Thanks Dennis :cheesy: I love the expression on my face at the very end of the video... :evil:

So yeah, the clutch slipped at 4000 RPM so we never got a true full-boost run. But before the slip it made 300whp and 360ft-lbs... I am very optimistic about the next run!

Spec Stage 3 clutch disc, pressure plate and resurfaced flywheel are in and I'm about halfway through the 500 mile break-in period. Once I can boost again I will go back for some dyno tuning!

Krizzie
5th September 2012, 04:06 PM
I wonder how long your gearbox holds out. :p

What did you do to the gearbox to stop it from exploding into bits? (It's probably mentioned on one of the 72 pages but I don't have the week off at the moment :lol: )

IronJoe
12th September 2012, 01:46 PM
500 mile break-in of the new clutch was completed yesterday. Plugged in the BCV and drove to work this morning. Guess what? As soon as the car gets to around 15 psi, the clutch lets go. :angry::angry::angry:

Here's a very short video of a 4th gear pull. As soon as it gets to 4000 RPM, the thing just rips right loose. It's a horrible feeling. At part throttle it holds just great.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/th_1F9F3B37-8E24-44F4-A491-A98778D6DD10-1147-0000008BB909D445.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=1F9F3B37-8E24-44F4-A491-A98778D6DD10-1147-0000008BB909D445.mp4)

rawill
12th September 2012, 02:50 PM
Ouch, that lets go so fast. It would be undriveable. :evil:

IronJoe
18th September 2012, 05:33 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/A0B743DF-6330-494B-B905-DB4A699CA647-2318-000001125F1F29BC.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/67510DFF-F8DD-4C3E-AC9D-0494572FF261-2318-000001125168A2D7.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/6FA40757-6141-496F-B62B-1C631FDF711C-2318-000001127746DC2D.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/8E74B729-DF4F-4541-B340-B73F8C8CA800-2318-000001126F6E5367.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/29C18F85-99CB-43BD-92DC-EBEEBFFD2BCF-2318-0000011267CF2C38.jpg

KaMiKaZi_t0M
19th September 2012, 11:14 AM
Nicest modded C900 on the planet; hands down.

rawill
19th September 2012, 02:42 PM
It sure looks great on here, and I love the cover for the top when it is down.

They sure look great on, and probably help keep the wind the from swirling back into the car for the rear passengers.
The ones I have seen are a bit bulky to carry around and look like a fiddle put on.

Any comments Iron Joe

BionicBanana
21st September 2012, 02:03 PM
Nicest modded C900 on the planet; hands down.

Agreed, I love the stance on it. Any driving videos of your ride? (besides the dyno one recently posted)

Mike d
1st October 2012, 08:59 AM
Hah, that's too bad. Oh well.

Installation was incredibly simple - I had a working knock system in less than an hour! I am quite pleased, no more APC necessary.

Oh, and Standalone > Trionic :cool:

i feel like quoting this right now

that is all

glorydaze
2nd October 2012, 01:36 PM
Looks like the dual vent hood I dropped off? Been wondering how that turned out. Need a better shot of it! :cool:

IronJoe
2nd October 2012, 01:48 PM
Yup that's it... unfortunately it looks good from far, but far from good :lol:

I rushed it a bit and it orange peeled all over the place. In removing said orange peel, we burned through the paint in a few places. I've touched it up but the whole car needs a repaint anyway.

The whole endeavor cost me zero dollars so I'm happy ;ol;

glorydaze
2nd October 2012, 01:52 PM
The whole endeavor cost me zero dollars so I'm happy ;ol;

Hard to argue with that! I wish my own car "needed" a repaint as bad as yours. ;)

vpulsar
8th October 2012, 07:10 AM
Wow what a long thread lol, I wasn't sure about your car at the beginning but I have to say you've done a cracking job my friend I really like the current look your latest set of wheels look fab and grey is my favorite color to.

Rob

IronJoe
12th February 2013, 05:17 PM
I last drove this car in November, it's been sitting comfortably in the garage ever since.

This weekend is the Swedish Cruise In, which I am planning on bringing the Grey Ghost to assuming the weather holds. I've got a bunch of little tasks to complete to get here road ready!

-Coolant flush
-Oil change
-Inspect tires, belts, hoses, etc
-Interior/exterior detail

Very excited to be back at this event... the last time my car wasn't torn apart and in pieces for the Cruise In was 2009 :roll:

dmgb5
12th February 2013, 05:49 PM
Very excited to be back at this event... the last time my car wasn't torn apart and in pieces for the Cruise In was 2009 :roll:

:lol: Thats where mines stands right now...torn apart and in pieces. :(

I missed last year for the same reason.

I'll be coming up in the 9k aero this year.

Hopefully we can take the Grey Ghost out for a spin on 4 cylinders this time.:o:lol: I'll bring my laptop for T5 nerding.

IronJoe
13th February 2013, 10:21 AM
That's great Daniel! I'd love to get someone to look at the data while I'm driving.

Only thing is, you have to help me push the car once the transmission explodes ;ol;

I still haven't made that change to the Trionic harness yet by the way...

IronJoe
18th February 2013, 04:17 PM
A few pics of the Ghost at the Swedish Cruise-In...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8486755934_81383890c9_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75683402@N06/8486755934/)
Swedish Cruise In 2013 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75683402@N06/8486755934/) by IronJoeT16S (http://www.flickr.com/people/75683402@N06/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8486848284_acfd9ae982_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75683402@N06/8486848284/)
Swedish Cruise In 2013 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75683402@N06/8486848284/) by IronJoeT16S (http://www.flickr.com/people/75683402@N06/), on Flickr

sab aero
18th February 2013, 04:31 PM
Awesome car Aaron… still looks good after all this time. Def one of my faves! :)

rawill
18th February 2013, 04:43 PM
Awesome car Aaron… still looks good after all this time. Def one of my faves! :)

Yes But,

Did you take the hood/bonnet off for show, and the same with the windscreen wipers.

Or is it road legal over there as it sits in the photos. :confused:

IronJoe
18th February 2013, 05:00 PM
The hood was only off for the Cruise In. I have a badgeless dual-vent hood that I normally drive with.

dmgb5
18th February 2013, 06:17 PM
Yes But,

Did you take the hood/bonnet off for show, and the same with the windscreen wipers.

Or is it road legal over there as it sits in the photos. :confused:

The "grey ghost" is a fair weather car. No need for windscreen wipers. :cheesy:

IronJoe
1st April 2013, 01:50 PM
What does it take to kill a freshly broken in Spec Stage 3 clutch?

How about 30PSI at 7000 RPM on a T5 c900 convertible!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/8bce3236-09c7-41ed-bd2c-338c14fc4330_zps161aa795.jpghttp://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/8bce3236-09c7-41ed-bd2c-338c14fc4330_zps161aa795.jpg

Krizzie
1st April 2013, 01:53 PM
Weird that the transmission didn't explode first. :p

Squaab99t
1st April 2013, 02:53 PM
Weird that the transmission didn't explode first. :p

Slipping clutch and/or tires might be saving it.

rawill
1st April 2013, 03:36 PM
Anyway, just fix it and keep driving that amazing looking car!

Saab Junkie
2nd April 2013, 09:56 AM
Hi Joe,

Love your car, and a silent stalker until now.

Is your grill rechromed/treated, or the photo technique? Looks great.

Sorry to hear about the clutch, but glad you're pushing the envelope!

Eric

IronJoe
2nd April 2013, 01:50 PM
Hi Eric!
The grille is painted Edwardian Grey. I sanded off the chrome and hit it with two stage base-clearcoat.

I took apart the grille and resprayed the black vents with Wurth black trim paint. Amazing stuff.

Saab Junkie
2nd April 2013, 01:53 PM
Hi Eric!
The grille is painted Edwardian Grey. I sanded off the chrome and hit it with two stage base-clearcoat.

I took apart the grille and resprayed the black vents with Wurth black trim paint. Amazing stuff.

thanks Joe. I have a few old grilles laying around, I'll try that when I get a few hours from work!!

dmgb5
3rd April 2013, 05:27 PM
What does it take to kill a freshly broken in Spec Stage 3 clutch?

How about 30PSI at 7000 RPM on a T5 c900 convertible!

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/8bce3236-09c7-41ed-bd2c-338c14fc4330_zps161aa795.jpghttp://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/8bce3236-09c7-41ed-bd2c-338c14fc4330_zps161aa795.jpg

Holy sh^t! 30PSI:o Thats insanely awesome! What happen to your clutch? Did it slip or disintegrate?

Did you boost spike to 30psi or did it build linearly? Did you re-map your boost control bias to 7k and what percent are you running in the upper rpm band?

IronJoe
16th April 2013, 12:39 PM
Lots of little changes happening right now...

First, I pulled all the Airflow arches. I rolled the rear fenders with a fender roller, then trimmed the ends of the arches back to accommodate the new curvature of the metal. This won't make too much of a visual difference but will allow for less scraping due to my ridiculous wheel/tire setup :cheesy:

Next, I'm pulling the rear suspension components for the rear axle relocation mod. Should also help cut down on the scraping/rubbing.

Lastly, I got my badgeless dual-vent hood professionally painted. It looks beautiful.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/C24CF46B-9427-4EB0-AC0C-859C24FD5296-504-000000D598BF5A8A_zpsae7b41a6.jpg

The goals for the spring are: 9" clutch upgrade, custom coolant bottle, more tuning, maybe some dyno time if the clutch holds.

Saab Junkie
17th April 2013, 01:00 PM
I rolled the rear fenders with a fender roller, then trimmed the ends of the arches back to accommodate the new curvature of the metal.

I have thought about fender rolling, I thought it just eliminated any seams? My relocated axle still rubs when the bumpstops are REALLY compressed (big bumps). The rubbing is on the metal flare, not the plastic, nearly where the bodywork angle is.

IronJoe
17th April 2013, 01:15 PM
We got the rear arches to move out about a 1/4". It was well worth it.

Saab Junkie
17th April 2013, 01:18 PM
We got the rear arches to move out about a 1/4". It was well worth it.

whoa, that's all I need. I'll have to investgate this option again...

Not to impose, but if you have any pictures of the result, that would be appreciated.

IronJoe
19th June 2013, 03:30 PM
It's convertible weather!

Got the rear axle relocation kit installed, reduced the rubbing in the rear by a good bit and actually allowed me to drop the static ride height in the rear a bit.

Took the car to the annual Leavenworth Drive, it was a great day with perfect weather, and the organizers liked my car so much they gave me the limited preferred parking with all the other "nice" European cars!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/Mobile%20Uploads/202B4706-9173-4108-9708-1B98BBAE8C6A-249-0000001F3E0667D6_zpsc453ef2b.jpg

Thanks to Zach for the awesome pic!
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk50/zachcdr/IMG_4926_zps501a08e8.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk50/zachcdr/IMG_4924_zps1aac89b5.jpg

Next step is the clutch issue.

rawill
19th June 2013, 07:30 PM
Great pics, great job,

Still I see no need for windscreen wipers
and now no need for car registration for such a special car.

2 degrees C here, and trying to snow.
My vert is in the shed with a cover over it to keep it warm.

gustavm
19th June 2013, 08:28 PM
Agreed Rawill. Man that car is a stunner . I particularly like the guard flares .

IronJoe
23rd May 2014, 05:53 PM
Hey guys, remember me?

Holset time! :cool:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/266C3995-EE50-4942-94C6-29A9A9BC238F-204-000000501792DD2D_zpsbcd1fb90.jpg

Cark
23rd May 2014, 05:59 PM
Holy Mary mother of God!!!

Krizzie
24th May 2014, 02:38 AM
Sooo, how much is this baby going to make on the wheels?:o

Squaab99t
24th May 2014, 02:00 PM
Might want to slip the clutch cover on to see if you have room for the compressor and its inlet. That is where I ran into fit up with my gt3071 with 4" inlet. What are you planning for the route to the intercooler? Going liquid to air barrel type. Might help with the lag of that big boy.

rawill
24th May 2014, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, remember me?

Holset time! :cool:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/266C3995-EE50-4942-94C6-29A9A9BC238F-204-000000501792DD2D_zpsbcd1fb90.jpg

Well the guys above said it all!

However, love the ex manifold, but going to love seeing it in the car.
But the best thing is you have T5ed it good to see that. ;ol;

Squaab99t
31st May 2014, 11:14 AM
Well the guys above said it all!

However, love the ex manifold, but going to love seeing it in the car.
But the best thing is you have T5ed it good to see that. ;ol;

IJ, I'm assuming the Holset is a twin scroll. What is you plan on the exhaust manifold to divide that end to leverage the twin scroll on the turbo housing?

My plan for my upgrade includes one of these. Feeding a Garrett twin scroll turbine housing. Primaries cyl1 and 4 will be ganged and 2 and 3 ganged.

IronJoe
29th August 2014, 05:17 PM
We finished up the car with just hours to spare before SOC. Unfortunately I was unable to attend, so my awesome tuner Mike D (http://mikedtuning.com) drove my car the 5+ hours there and back!
The car was nowhere near "show-ready" but it was great to have it there, and it also provided a nice shakedown run of the new setup.
Here's a pretty complete list of what's new/changed in this build:
-Transmission rebuilt
-9000 clutch retrofit w/Spec Stage 3 9000 Aero clutch kit
-Holset HE351CW turbocharger
-External wastegate removed/blocked off, using stock Holset internal wg
-Custom 4" downpipe
-14point7 Spartan Wideband o2 sensor
-Volvo 240 coolant bottle swap

Unfortunately there were a few small problems I am still working out - the exhaust didn't mate up perfectly and developed a v-band leak, and the steering u-joint is on its way out.

Lastly, I am refreshing the interior with new seats and a few other touches.

Engine bay:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/IMG_5837_zps7c18bb55.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/ironjoet16s/media/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/IMG_5837_zps7c18bb55.jpg.html)

Here's a great shot of Mike D driving my car into SOC!
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/ironjoet16s/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/1743491_10204228001962348_2159612768130802008_n_zp s477c3be4.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/ironjoet16s/media/1987%20Saab%20900%20Airflow%20Convertible/1743491_10204228001962348_2159612768130802008_n_zp s477c3be4.jpg.html)

eidsvik
10th September 2014, 10:52 PM
I'd like to post this here, just to keep with the thread.

http://missionarium.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IronJoe.jpg

For those interested. (http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4660147628.html)

wbrook_ford
10th September 2014, 10:58 PM
Gaaaa!
So much want!

But what would I do with such a beaut??