The Grey Ghost - IronJoe's Airflow Convertible [Archive] - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums

: The Grey Ghost - IronJoe's Airflow Convertible

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

IronJoe
16th April 2007, 12:34 PM
I used to be mildly concerned about it. But after this:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album13/Image008.sized.jpg

...I feel pretty confident of the structural integrity of the classic 900. One 3.5" hole isn't going to be the difference between life & death.

I'd be more worried about the guys who cut the center section out of their bumpers to improve intercooler air flow :o

DanF.
16th April 2007, 02:21 PM
where's the damage? ;) a little duct tape, and she'd be as good as new.

IronJoe
16th April 2007, 02:39 PM
duct tape... suuure....

ended up being bumper, headlights, turn signals, grille, pass. fender, hood, radiator frame, rad fan, etc. That was summer '04.

IronJoe
17th April 2007, 12:08 PM
oh eBay... why do you torment me so.

I didn't say I wanted to hump hoes, I said I wanted Two Hump hoses! :cheesy: Basically if you're like me, and your FMIC piping doesn't line up exactly how you want it to, and couplers blow off with megaboost, you need hump hose. It's made to connect offset piping, and it's a pretty neat design. I've got two on the way, one for either side of my IC where the piping is a bit tight.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/20/64/db_1.JPG

Also on the way: LED bulbs for my clear corners & reverse lights, swedish dynamics APC (yes I caved) cross drilled & slotted front & rear rotors with performance pads.

Also:

Ricer.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/IMG_0134.sized.jpg

li Arc
17th April 2007, 02:16 PM
That's quite the revival there Joe...I never saw the original state of the car! :o With mine, I had to replace the front rad support, headlights, and the grille, as well as the AC condenser but not the rad...the frickin' 3ft tall SUV never touched my bumper, but its trailer hitch sure crushed my front! :evil: Why can't the government mandate standard height bumpers??

You'll love the HIDs, and you'll love the LED side markers...I just bought myself another bunch and clear markers to go with them, so hopefully they'll be arriving soon.

li Arc

Saab-Daniel
20th April 2007, 02:56 PM
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album59/P2060008.sized.jpg

Did you manage to get a 2" to 3" reducer? Or is it a 2.5" to 3" reducer?
Also, I need one of those pipes that connects onto the turbo, so you don't have to weld the flange onto the pipe. What's that called?
Thanks, Daniel.

IronJoe
20th April 2007, 03:05 PM
actually a 2.25" to 3" and a 2.5" to 3" are both pictured. I didn't know if I wanted to have functionality to swap in my stock cat or not, so I bought both.

Also, I need one of those pipes that connects onto the turbo, so you don't have to weld the flange onto the pipe. What's that called?

which one? :confused:

Saab-Daniel
20th April 2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album68/P1010178.sized.jpg

The one used on this picture! The piece of pipe where the flange sits on this picture...
Daniel.

IronJoe
20th April 2007, 04:43 PM
oh! hahaha

That's cut off from the stock downpipe. So I can swap in the stock cat when emissions testing comes around.

IronJoe
20th April 2007, 06:15 PM
I'm excited... I know I shouldn't mention it because I'll jinx it... but...

who doesn't need another airflow kit lying around? :o :cheesy:

IronJoe
21st April 2007, 02:43 AM
Hump hoses are in. They work wonders.

Waiting for stuff in the mail sucks. Here's a list of stuff currently in transit:

-Viggen valve cover
-cross-drilled & slotted rotors + performance pads
-e-codes
-stage 4 APC

Also, when "testing" my car tonight in prep of the dyno day, I got..... yay! Intermittent base boost. :o Oh yeah, THIS is why I ditched APC in the first place.

I think the problem is the knock sensor. Because with my knock LED hooked up, I can see it flash rapidly when this occurs. It's intermittent, but I know it's annoying. So hopefully it doesn't decide to exhibit this charming behavior on the rollers tomorrow :roll: *sigh*

Saab-Daniel
21st April 2007, 05:43 AM
Ahh, ok, I might re-use mine aswell, just dosn't look the same, afair.
Can't understand the e-codes aren't there yet, they should be sent as a test-sample = no tax or customs, but guess we just have to be patient... :roll:
And what's that about the spare airflow???
Daniel.

philjohnhb
21st April 2007, 10:56 AM
dreamin' of a viggen blue airflow notch...

A what?

IronJoe
21st April 2007, 11:38 AM
phil, I'm totally obsessed with the notchback 900 (2 dr sedan). They only came to the US two years, '85 and '86 as 900s nonturbo models. My plan is to get one with a straight body/frame, convert to post-facelift, add airflow kit, drop in B202 w/big turbo and lotsa mods, and splash on a few coats of viggen blue.

The ones I've been finding lately are poor condition, I want to start with a clean canvas :cheesy:

scubasaab
21st April 2007, 11:53 AM
I'd love one of those too Joe.
Seems like the stiffest SAAB to start with:cool:,
also kinda neat looking!

Breakin5speeds
21st April 2007, 01:16 PM
convert to post-facelift, add airflow kit, drop in B202 w/big turbo NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO leave it flat face, E-codes if you must but save the beauty, I would take either year, but 86 in general was a better year, plus the 86 notches in the US were 16 valves, non-turbo, but saves a little hassle, like power steering pump, etc....

philjohnhb
21st April 2007, 02:39 PM
phil, I'm totally obsessed with the notchback 900 (2 dr sedan). They only came to the US two years, '85 and '86 as 900s nonturbo models. My plan is to get one with a straight body/frame, convert to post-facelift, add airflow kit, drop in B202 w/big turbo and lotsa mods, and splash on a few coats of viggen blue.

The ones I've been finding lately are poor condition, I want to start with a clean canvas :cheesy:

Is that all????????

IronJoe
21st April 2007, 11:26 PM
Numbers are 215whp, 270wtq. Happy with the torque, not 100% pleased with the HP. The reason is the stock APC box. I wasn't able to plug in my 900aero -modded box (currently in my buddies 88 spg) before the run. So I used the stock APC box, which is taper-happy over 4k. Went from 21 lbs down to 17 or so, right when max HP was made.

With my external wg I don't get any taper. With my 900aero box in I can hold 20lbs to redline. So the tapering boost is most likely what caused the lower hp.

Still, not a bad run for a 900 on stock APC, head, intake & cams.

Will remedy the above asap! :cheesy:

IronJoe
21st April 2007, 11:30 PM
Here's the graph:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/graph.sized.jpg

Saab-Daniel
22nd April 2007, 03:26 AM
Nice figures, running a little lean though, at some points, I must say...
Daniel.

Albert Trout
22nd April 2007, 08:37 AM
They're pretty good figures Joe. I've totally lost track of where you are with the car and your thread's like War & Peace now;) Any chance of a quick resume of exactly what your engine mods are at the minute?:D

ShadowWorks
22nd April 2007, 10:39 AM
You kidding me, Joes got mods on his mods:lol:

Get ride of your stock APC and get the tunned one in, bit of a bummer not having you at full boost, getting above 230hp is a sticking point.

IronJoe
22nd April 2007, 11:01 AM
albert, the first page of this thread is kept up-to-date so the mods in the first post are current.

daniel, what would you suggest about the 'running a bit lean' part? Not quite sure what to do about that.

sha, my original aim (once I started getting on with mods) was 100hp over stock, or 260bhp. Depending on losess, the dyno run puts me around 250bhp give or take, with 310ft/lbs.

But I figure with the 2.1 stuff to lower the CR, and the better cams I should be able to hit 230whp. That'd be more than enough for me.

Albert Trout
22nd April 2007, 01:15 PM
Cheers Joe. I thought when I read the first page there was more there than I remembered you having when you started the thread. :cheesy:

Breakin5speeds
22nd April 2007, 11:03 PM
Just felt like bragging to an Old skooler....

-Winter wheels: Lightest & strongest wheels ever produced for Saab, Carroll Shelby 8-spoke rallye wheels http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/SwedenLo/blackcar.jpg

These are Minilites, actual honest to God Minilites, Made for Saab, Made in the UK, TOUGHASNAILS, I bent a Carrol Shelby, These make the Shelbys look like Coke Cans, these are what Saab used on their 99 Rally Cars...:cheesy:
The pic is crud, but it was actually dark out, with a crum camera, and Photoshop is only sooo capable, but I'm thinking of calling her

Mörkstjärna:cool:

Saab-Daniel
23rd April 2007, 04:25 AM
daniel, what would you suggest about the 'running a bit lean' part? Not quite sure what to do about that.

If you follow your boost-curve, you can see that the lean-bit is where the boost goes high. A progressive fpr might be able to help you out on that part. Best would be a fuel-chip to sort it, I wouldn't like to run over 13 afr when in that much boost, not safe enough. I aim for 12 afr @ full boost, in fact, here's my AFR-target table.
KPA=boost, 100kpa = 0 bar, 140kpa = 0.4 bar, 60kpa = 0.4 bars of vacum.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3282/tilironjoemv9.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tilironjoemv9.jpg)

These figures are considered to be safe when boosting hard.
Daniel.

ShadowWorks
23rd April 2007, 09:23 AM
Just felt like bragging to an Old skooler....

;) Nice wheels, did you just spray them black with the tyre on or is that really photoshop?

Breakin5speeds
23rd April 2007, 02:48 PM
No I broke them down, took off all weights, and stems, stripped all the old paint off, elbow greased any corrosion, then painted them with etching primer, and wheel paint semi gloss, came out great

IronJoe
24th April 2007, 02:19 PM
anybody wanna come do MS on the grey ghost?

plane ticket's on me.

ShadowWorks
24th April 2007, 04:06 PM
reanybody wanna come do MS on the grey ghost?

plane ticket's on me.

Hellooooo:lol:

I can wire almost anything up, well lets just say I have not been beaten yet:cheesy:

If your stuck post a picture or scan in the wiring diagram, I'll help you;)

IronJoe
24th April 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm stuck at the beginning :cheesy: what do I buy and where to plug it in.

Ever long to see the Pacific Northwest, sha? :lol:

SteveMcqueen
24th April 2007, 05:22 PM
Dunno if you saw, but that dyno shop had a MS setup for sale IIRC. At least the base software.

PS. My SPG kit came today, definatly needs a refinish. Black on black, keeping it gangster.

S double-a B
24th April 2007, 05:33 PM
Hey Joe, I have a few quick questions.
1. Where did you find paint that matches the spg bumpers/panels. I need to touch up my bumper, and have been looking for a spray can that will match forever. A brand name/ paint code would be greatly apreciated.

2. Do you think that a dodge intercooler such as yours would fit behind a non airflow bumper? I have an 89spg.

Thanks, Your car looks great, I wish that i had the time and money to do a similar project to my spg. :D

IronJoe
24th April 2007, 06:14 PM
it's a rust-oleum metallic, works wonders. There were several areas in which I burned through the paint when colorsanding. I just sprayed it on and feathered it out, no one's the wiser :cheesy:

I'll doublecheck the paint code when i get home. But I've used it several times on my front bumper, which is very low and a rock magnet.

also i can't recommend the SRT IC on a non-airflow car. I haven't tried it, but I just don't think it would fit. Perhaps if you removed the lower valence... but then, that's not a very good option. There are several good options, many have had good luck with ebay intercoolers.

Also, thanks for the kind words.

Saab-Daniel
25th April 2007, 03:53 AM
Ironjoe, you have my adress, send the plane-tickets, we'll have you out and driving over the weekend, I'm sure!
It's not that hard, and re-using the sensors and buying a complete harness from www.diyautotune.com will help imensly!
Also, you got my PM, you know what you need :D
Daniel.

philjohnhb
25th April 2007, 04:50 AM
2. Do you think that a dodge intercooler such as yours would fit behind a non airflow bumper? I have an 89spg.

:D

I have the Dodge FMIC and having previously owned a normal SPG fronted car I can say for sure that it won't fit unless, as Iron Joe says, you remove the front valance. Have a look at this photo from my project thread. Without the bumper fitted you can see how much it protrudes.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3549/dscn0035bu0.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=119335)

li Arc
25th April 2007, 08:13 PM
Daniel, you're like the major MS supporter here haha! I'm planning to do MS next year, probably, but it's feeding wires and sourcing connectors that gives me the hesitance against it. Any place that sells all the connectors we need for our cars? I don't want to ship from 32 different places, and I also don't want to cut up my existing harness in case I need it again...

li Arc

Saab-Daniel
26th April 2007, 04:13 AM
www.diyautotune.com can provide almost everything you need!
Then go to the junkyard and get the remaining connectors you need!
It's really not that bad :)
Daniel.

IronJoe
26th April 2007, 12:12 PM
Okay, I think I'm going to start looking at MS seriously. My goal, if I go through with this, is to have an engine management system that requires minimal soldering/wiring, is reversable, and relilable. This is my daily driver.

I've hated the idea of MS for a while now, basically because I hate working with wiring, and I don't like soldering. Gimme a wrench any day. But, the software aspect really intrigues me. As a software guy, I love tweaking and working with power-user programs like that. Gets my blood pumping. So if I can just work past the gag-me hardware portion, I should be able to have some fun.

So with Daniels hand-holding, I know a little about what I'll need. I'd appreciate it if others would chime in and help me build the list. I've got a laptop already.

PARTS NEEDED:
-Assembled EFI PCB2.2 - $240 from DIYautotune
-MS Wiring harness - $65 from DIYautotune
-Innovate wideband - $200 from DIYAutotune.
-tps-sensor (throttle-position) from a 2.1
-inlet-air temp sensor (IAT) from a 2.3 9000 turbo or from DIYautotune

soo... what else guys? Is there differences setting it up on LH 2.2 vs 2.4? If so, what in particular will I need? What junkyard parts from other cars will I need to pick up? All this reading is making my head spin. Somebody spell it out puh-leeze!

Albert Trout
26th April 2007, 03:16 PM
That's pretty much all you need Joe. You can use the coolant sensor you already have and the MAP sensor is part of the MS board. You might want to get the hall sensor connector and wiring from a junkyard. I got a second one, because I reckon it'll be easier to reverse if things go wrong.

What injectors are you using? You may need resistors in line with MS if they're low impedence, so as not to frazzle them. You'll also need a pull-up resistor for the hall signal but I can't for the life of me remember what size though.

No difference whatsoever between setting it up on LH2.2 & 2.4. All I would say is don't do it all at once. Fuelling then ignition or vice versa. I'd recommend you do ignition first, then use MS to log your A/F's for a while so you've got a good idea of what your A/F table will look like.

Also, the ECU's on our cars have absolutely nothing to do with the ignition system. It's all done by ignition module via a signal from the hall sensor. I don't know if you know this (sorry if you do), but once I realised this, it made it all seem a bit easier to understand. Effectively all you're doing is intercepting the signal from the hall sensor, "meddling" with it with MS, then sending it on to the ignition module, which takes care of dwell, to then trigger the coil. Or you can cut the module out altogether and trigger the coil directly.

Having said all this I still haven't plucked up the courage to actually get it up and running as mine's also a daily driver, despite having everthing ready to go for about 3, in fact, 4 months now ;oops:

IronJoe
26th April 2007, 03:21 PM
so does just about everything (besides the o2 sensor) splice into the ECU connector? What extra wires need to be run into the engine bay?

You basically match up the MS wiring diag with the Bosch diag in the bentley, and splice? I'm having a hard time with the visualization :o

Albert Trout
26th April 2007, 03:36 PM
Forget about the Bosch ECU and all associated parts :cheesy:

You've got your MS ECU and the connector with loom attached. For ignition, which requires fewer senors, you connect the hall sensor to the MS. You then run a wire from MS to the ignition module (pin 6, I think). MS is now ready to spark as it has an RPM signal and it also knows where the pistons all are by using the hall signal.

In order to now use the igntion map it also needs to know manifold pressure which you get from t-ing into any vacuum line. And that's it basically it. You can also use the coolant sensor to alter timing according to how hot the engine is, but this isn't totally necessary.

Obviously there's a bit of fiddling with the dizzy initially, so MS knows where it is.
To add fuelling, you connect the wideband o2 sensor, for A/F targets, the IAT sensor, to help calculate the volume of air being used, and the TPS. The loom you're buying will have injector outputs, so you just connect them up.

Saab-Daniel
26th April 2007, 03:44 PM
Joe, yes, you can do it like that. If it was me, on a 16v, I would start by matching wires from MS to the ones from LH, when talking fuel. You wont really re-use that many of them, as I'm not sure how the injectors are hooked up to LH.
If it was me, though, I would start with ignition. You need a 1k ohm pull-up resistor between 12v and the signal from the hall-sensor. The signal from the hall-sensor goes into MS and acts as a rpm-signal as well. You then feed the ignition-module a wire from MS, which tells the module when to fire the coil. So in total, you need 1 wire to 12v, a few to provide ground, 1 from the hall-sensor (you need to connect it to MS from the one coming from the hall-sensor), and a wire back to the ignition-module from MS. Now you can run ignition, when you've set the thing up a bit. Everything is easy to find on the web. Let me know if you need a www for it.
now you can run ignition, easy as pie!!
It's a very nice starting-place, will provide you a lot of nice features to play with, trust me :)
Daniel.

Albert Trout
26th April 2007, 03:55 PM
In fact Joe, reading what myself and Daniel have written, and I'm putting this writing so I do it, I'm going ahead with ignition this weekend, come hell or high water. If it doesn't work straight off then it'll be the train next week :lol: I'll take as many pictures as I can and put them on my thread ASAP.

As Daniel said, fuelling's a bit more involved, but I've tried to explain it as basically as I can, so as not to scare you :cheesy:

Saab-Daniel
26th April 2007, 04:00 PM
I did the same thing in a PM, Albert, so with the two of us, we should be able to convince him :D
Looking forward to seeing you doing ignition, I might not be on too much over the weekend, but PM me, if you want my number...
Daniel.

Albert Trout
26th April 2007, 04:16 PM
I did the same thing in a PM, Albert, so with the two of us, we should be able to convince him :D
Looking forward to seeing you doing ignition, I might not be on too much over the weekend, but PM me, if you want my number...
Daniel.

I have seen the light-ah! Praise Megasquirt-ah! Join Daniel's Church of MS-ah! You WIIILLLLL be saved-ah! from the evils of ancient ECU's-ah!

Saab-Daniel
26th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Join me!
I will SAAAAFE you from bad universal ECU-chips, that do nothing, I repeat NOTHING for your performance acording to what I can provide you, if you joing me, in my search for complete engine control...
HALLELUJA!!
Daniel.

ShadowWorks
26th April 2007, 04:51 PM
Once you get stuck in things fall into place guys;) trust me your totally able to do this in good time.

I don't have a clue what MS wiring loom is like but I know I could wire it up:lol:

Albert Trout
26th April 2007, 05:05 PM
Like the new sig Daniel :lol:

There's really nothing to the wiring for ignition Sha. It's all about getting the dizzy in the right place, as the actress said to the bishop.

IronJoe
26th April 2007, 05:52 PM
Uh-oh, peer pressure, now it has to be done!

Albert, lots of pics and in-depth explanation would be fantastic. I take it you or Daniel has a working ignition map? Or... where does one acquire such a map?

This is all very interesting. Thanks guys.

Albert Trout
26th April 2007, 06:42 PM
Daniel sent me map for a 16v turbo ages ago, and I already have it saved in MegaSquirt, ready to go. It doesn't look that agressive but I'll have to wait and see. I'd reckon we'd be looking at pretty similar maps, as our set-ups and power targets aren't a mile apart, so when you have MS I can send you what I'm using at the time or the original map. Or both.

IronJoe
26th April 2007, 08:37 PM
What's your power target, albert? See... I thought mine was about 200 BHP. Then it was 200 at the wheels. Then it was 250bhp. Well I'm there now... and I don't know what to aim for.

I guess I'll make 250whp my next target. 2.1 head/intake, more boost and MS should get me there... eh?

DanF.
27th April 2007, 02:28 AM
do it joe... i figure by the time i have a bank account with money in it, i'll be able to copy what you , albert, and Daniel have started and actually have a car that doesnt inspire mass speculation after start-up...

oh, its late on a thirsty thursday, so as you might imagine... i've had a few chaadinays

Saab-Daniel
27th April 2007, 03:35 AM
Albert, the map you got from me is working (or was, working, don't know if he still uses it) on Keithg's car. You can't really use the T8-map, as it's far far far more aggressive than what you guys will be able to run, I think. There is a big difference on the efficiency as which the T8 and T16 work. I need more advanced ignition, as the T8-setup is more crude.
Joe, as for wiring, you don't need to worry, it's really not that bad, the wiring-diagram is SO easy to follow, and it's not to be compared with something silly like the diagram in Haynes or something like that. Far more easy than that.
Daniel.

Albert Trout
27th April 2007, 04:38 AM
I'm the same as you Joe. Originally I was only looking for about 225 at the crank, as that's 50 over stock, but now I'm there I want more. With the new turbo, injectors and MS it's now 100 over stock. It's a slippery slope.....

Also, as Reverend Daniel says, don't look at any wiring diagrams from Bentley or Haynes, just look at the ones on the MS site. They're so much clearer and easy to understand.

Saab-Daniel
27th April 2007, 05:58 AM
As Albert says, indeed, easy!
Infact, here's the complete harness, and you wont be needing some of it, even!
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7415/wiringmscn3.th.gif (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wiringmscn3.gif)
Daniel.

IronJoe
27th April 2007, 12:43 PM
thanks for posting the wiring diag, Rev!

:cheesy:

Saab-Daniel
28th April 2007, 03:19 AM
No problem, We have to help each other, right? :)
Still no news on the e-codes?
Daniel.

IronJoe
29th April 2007, 12:55 PM
Nope, no new news daniel. Perhaps you can hunt down a tracking number?

Saab-Daniel
30th April 2007, 04:39 AM
That sucks, I'll look into it...!
Daniel.

IronJoe
30th April 2007, 12:47 PM
[rice mode] cut springs and painted calipers guys!!! vtackk FTWZOMGLOL!11!!1eleven11!! [/rice mode]

So... When installing my DP, I accidently nicked the pass side inner CV boot. Which gradually got worse to the point where it was slinging grease everywhere (and onto my shiny downpipe... for shame). I finally got up the gumption to change it this weekend, and I figured "Well hey... I bet I can do this without removing the axle!"

Please don't try this ever.

I popped out the balljoint from where it slides into place, and pulled out the carrier bearing end from the inner driver. Off comes the circlip, then what... The carrier bearing is supposed to "pop off" well... I end up hammering it off, but not before TWO of the three bearings fly off, sending a billion little needle bearings flying every which way into the engine compartment and onto the floor. NOT FUN.

Miraculously, after spending the better part of the afternoon on my knees (not funny) I managed to find EVERY LAST NEEDLE BEARING. Insane. Thank you magnet-on-a-spring. So I get the boot changed, and hook everything back up.

OK, ready to do the brakes, because I ordered new slotted & crossdrilled rotors with performance pads. I painted my rotors like Eric did on his '96 (http://www.lehigh.edu/%7Ecak7/Upgrades/Brakes/RearRotors.html). Black with caliper paint, and I shot the calipers in black as well.

On with the story... working on the pass side, I notice how loose the spring is (I remember that now I don't need a spring compressor to remove the intrax springs) So I pop it out, clamp it in the vise and go at it with the grinder. I cut a half-coil off, it really did the job but I think it needs a bit more! It was scary as ever, cutting my nice springs!! :o :o :o But worth it, the car looks much better now, a c900 with *GASP* some rake! Looks good on the vert, trust me.

So front brakes went on, they sent me the wrong pads for the rear, so I'm on stock McRusty brakes back there for the week. Pics are on camera, will upload tonite.

This post brought to you by Diet Coke with Splenda: A drink for the Man's Man :lol:
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo22/a0/60/c86c60021100.jpg

SteveMcqueen
30th April 2007, 01:50 PM
You know what god does to people who cut their springs right?

I'll pray for you.

ShadowWorks
30th April 2007, 01:53 PM
Dame, road kill has no change of slipping under your aero now:lol:

I take it you don't know what a speed bump is J:cheesy:

The speed bumps in Glasgow are like the broken bridge in the Dukes of Hazards:o

IronJoe
30th April 2007, 01:58 PM
You know what god does to people who cut their springs right?

I'll pray for you.

He gives them +20 HP right?

At least that's what my honda buddy said... was he lying?

SteveMcqueen
30th April 2007, 04:29 PM
You've been duped. Cheap knockoff coil-overs give you 20hp. Cut springs only give you about 3hp, but you have to add the Tien spring guy sticker on the rear quarter window of your ho ride.

Looks good man.

DanF.
1st May 2007, 11:41 AM
i'll pray for that bumper of yours Joe.

IronJoe
1st May 2007, 12:02 PM
It's not as low as you'd think. Pics lie.

Anyways, pics as promised.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album76/P4260035.sized.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album76/P4260036.sized.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album76/P4260037.sized.jpg

TheRedBaron
1st May 2007, 12:03 PM
Place your bets on how long that nice airflow bumper lasts :lol:

SteveMcqueen
1st May 2007, 12:36 PM
Oh well, I'm sure he'd just slap on one of the 100's of other airflow kits he has. :cheesy:

Saabeh
1st May 2007, 05:23 PM
NOOBZ! Haha, where am I...?

Anyways, guess what? 2 weeks until my car is registered, maybe even one. I was patient and it paid off. Also, I am bringing the old girl to the 1/4 mile track 2 weeks from today. Woot woot, nice brakes.

IronJoe
1st May 2007, 05:58 PM
Fun times at the u-pull! We don't get many saabs down here at in the south sound, so when I found out they had a '92 900 non turbo, I knew I had to get the 2.1 head & intake.

Well turns out, they were wrong. It was a '92 9000. bummer for me. But I did score a set of airflow vent covers in mint shape, and a perfect set of 4 SAAB wheel covers for snow tires.

Well I head back over to the 9k, and decide to pop the hood anyway. *shock and awe* I totally forgot that the 9k came with a 2.3 motor! I knew the 2.3 head was identical to the 2.1 head, so I pulled it. An hour later and $25 made me a step closer. Now to find a 2.1 intake.....

Vent covers + hubcaps
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P4280002.sized.jpg

2.3 intake + valve cover (won't use it, gonna use the Viggen valve cover)

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P4280001.sized.jpg

EDIT:
My Swedish Dynamics Stage 4 APC came in today. Since the j/y was a half hour away, it gave me a chance to do some highway testing. And I hate to say it, being a DIY guy and all... but I shoulda made this purchase years ago. The boost comes on quicker and stays longer. I was hitting 23psi today, NOTHING from the knock LED, boost was still over 20 lbs at 5k when I shut down. This is a far cry from last week on the dyno, where by 5000 RPM the stock APC had tapered boost down to 17 psi or so. That should be good for some more HP! I'd definitely say it's worth what I paid, I bought it used :cheesy: Don't think I'd pay new price though. But it sure is nice not having to mess with pots, or dink around with an MBC.

ShadowWorks
1st May 2007, 06:21 PM
Those discs look magic Joe;)

Why don't you just get that hydraulic suspension system and be a low rider, I don't think the vert would like being bumped up and down thou:lol:

philjohnhb
2nd May 2007, 04:52 AM
I think that's V V BRAVE having the front that low. WARNING - two days ago I nerfed my bumper very slightly - and I mean very - and it was pushed back into the I/C and creased one of the air channels at the bottom where the return on the bumper air intake sits very close. It might be worth trimming the return - I will be.

IronJoe
3rd May 2007, 03:45 PM
Okay, help needed.

I've now got a 2.1L intake manifold on the way. (thought you guys said they were tough to find? :p )

But I need to know: Is the actual fuel pressure regulator different, or is it just the bracket? I've heard different things. This manifold comes stripped, so I have to come up with a fuel rail as well. Will a 9000 rail work? Or is that a 2.1L only item?

Help puhleez. My car has a coolant leak running down the block, so this swap will have to happen sooner than later! :roll:

Breakin5speeds
3rd May 2007, 05:00 PM
Joe you need the Fuel Rail and FPR for the 2.1 they are different...also being an 87 you need a later throttle

IronJoe
3rd May 2007, 05:33 PM
Later throttle? A later throttle body?

I thought using the original throttle body was correct? What years did they change it?

Breakin5speeds
3rd May 2007, 05:48 PM
the 85 to 87 turbos have one of the idle connections in the intake, the 2.1 has it on the throttle, but the TPS is the wrong type, I believe an 88 -89 throttle turbo or non will work

Saabeh
3rd May 2007, 09:06 PM
I used stock stuffs, click here http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/album486/STA70355.jpg

Saab-Daniel
4th May 2007, 04:45 AM
you need to get the throttle-body for you MS-project, not for the as it is now. I'm using a 2.1L TB on my T8, all TB's are the same, bolt-patternwise, but the TPS-sensor is different. On all T16 before Lucas-injection (in Europe at least, that would be 1990), the sensor on the TB is a click-type that wont work with MS. Lucas and 2.1L ECU's use the correct TPS-sensor for MS.
Daniel.

li Arc
6th May 2007, 04:27 AM
I would assume though that you can simply swap out the 3-position TPS for the potentiometer-type TPS without swapping out the TB...

li Arc

Saab-Daniel
6th May 2007, 04:53 AM
I would assume though that you can simply swap out the 3-position TPS for the potentiometer-type TPS without swapping out the TB...

Nope, it wont fit at the same angle, I tried it, as I wanted to get a TB with an idle-screw... It was a no-go...
Daniel.

Breakin5speeds
6th May 2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.students.tut.fi/~poskipar/bmw/techpics/IMG_2006.JPG

I think it's do-able

li Arc
7th May 2007, 02:45 AM
Heck, I'm sure you could take the guts out of one and put it in the housing of the other...should be easy enough, instead of making a big deal out of how the housing itself fits onto the TB...

li Arc

Saab-Daniel
7th May 2007, 04:41 PM
Definetly doable, it's just easier with the other TB :cheesy:
Heck, I might pick on up and do like that myself...
Daniel.

IronJoe
7th May 2007, 04:53 PM
Geez this thread goes everywhere! :cheesy:

Well the grey ghost is parked. Friday it started spewwing the smokescreen, temp rising, wet block. Hooray.

I think I've got all the parts I need. Heading out to get my 2.1L intake manifold this afternoon. I'm almost done cleaning the new head, it looks fantastic. 2.1L fuel rail/fpr/bracket are on the way, as well as the 2.0 headgasket set & 2.1L intake manifold gasket.

And... from everything I read, my TB is useable. (?) But I've got a line on one anyway that I'll pick up, because as Daniel noted, I'll be needing it.

Saab-Daniel
7th May 2007, 04:58 PM
Yes, it's useable, so no worries... As stated, I'm using a 2.1L TB on my 8v manifold without modification...
Daniel.

IronJoe
8th May 2007, 11:06 AM
Bonus!~

So I picked up my 2.1 manifold yesterday. Bought it sight unseen, was told it was stripped, no other parts. Just the manifold. To my surprise, they were dead wrong! My 2.1L manifold came complete with throttle body, fuel rail, injectors, etc. Fully loaded. :cheesy: lucky me. So I'll have no excuse not to do MS now :o

Question.... how important is the '85 exhaust cam? After some furious searching last night, I found one but it's going to cost more than my head and intake manifold combined :o So is it worth it? I'm having a hard time justifying the cost, everybody "says" it's better but how much better? Please weigh in if you can.

TheRedBaron
8th May 2007, 11:12 AM
Question.... how important is the '85 exhaust cam? After some furious searching last night, I found one but it's going to cost more than my head and intake manifold combined :o So is it worth it? I'm having a hard time justifying the cost, everybody "says" it's better but how much better? Please weigh in if you can.Maybe give Jak Stoll a call, or post for him on that sub-par saab site? I think he's used them a lot...

On a side note, I wonder how good the SD red series cams are? Pero estes camshaftos se cuestan demasiado mucho!

Breakin5speeds
8th May 2007, 11:29 AM
I didn't like the cam, little bit of low end not much, just use the stock turbo cams you'll be happy

IronJoe
8th May 2007, 11:53 AM
I didn't like the cam, little bit of low end not much, just use the stock turbo cams you'll be happy

Oh yea? I've heard if anything, use the stock NA cams. I know that the NA and turbo exhaust cam are the same (cept for 85) and the NA intake cam is much better.

Example: the 9000T in 89 switched to the NA intake cam. This is the only thing that changed, same turbo, same 2.0T motor, everything identical except NA intake cam (and LH 2.4 but that doesn't matter). Torque went up, and smoother too:
http://simon.nw-i.com/saab/img/9000tfactorygraphs.jpg

Thanks Simon for the pic-steal

TheRedBaron
8th May 2007, 12:01 PM
Nice find! It looks as though there isn't really that much more torque (as in an absolute number) but more importantly the peak torque is spread over a greater rpm range. This looks like a good, cheap thing to do!

IronJoe
9th May 2007, 11:09 AM
E-Codes are in. I'm really glad I held out for an original set, and not some cheap ebay knockoffs. They are in fantastic condition and installed perfectly. The only problem is, they really show how misaligned my front end is. I'm going to have to loosen everything, and then get all the gaps just right.

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album74/P5060069.sized.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album74/P5060068.sized.jpg
In other news, I got the manifold all stripped, cleaned, and coated. There are some casting blemishes in the pics which I ended up filing down and smoothing out. Looks like Saab got lazy somewhere in early 1992 :cheesy:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P5060064.sized.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P5060063.sized.jpg

Saab-Daniel
9th May 2007, 03:21 PM
Sweet, nice that you like them, and that they where worth the wait. They should be pretty close to mint-condition, as we agreed :cheesy:
Do you have before/after pics of the front you can post? Can't quite see the difference yet, on the fitted items :confused:
Daniel.

IronJoe
9th May 2007, 03:26 PM
here's a pic of the lights themselves, old vs new:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album74/P5060061.sized.jpg

And here's a front-end pic before:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album54/P1010155.sized.jpg

and after:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album74/P5060062.sized.jpg

SteveMcqueen
9th May 2007, 03:48 PM
Looks 100x better IMO. Having turn signals that are more clear than your headlights screams pep boys. Really coming together aesthetically.

What's the story on the landshark in the background? ehhhh?!

TheRedBaron
9th May 2007, 03:52 PM
Looks very sharp! No more milky lights!

IronJoe
9th May 2007, 04:58 PM
That beastly E12 in the background is a pretty sweet car... '78 530i, we got it all original with no accidents, perfect interior. My dad tossed the EGR system via later 5-series parts (common mod) for more power and better mileage. It's in fantastic shape, has period-correct BBS wheels, etc. Sad thing is, we have way more cars than drivers, and that one just sits. Steve, if you know anyone in the area that needs one, let me know. We'd much rather like to see it live it's life out on the road.

There are few good 'ultimate driving machines' left, most are now 'ultimate costco machines.'

Saabeh
9th May 2007, 07:30 PM
I wish I coated my intake manifold before I put it on. All I did was hit it with some SOS...

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/album550/Done_8.sized.jpg

Looks like I have a pattern going... I got a red dipstick and some red injectors. Do you think that T5 injectors are too much fuel for like 18-20psi?

IronJoe
10th May 2007, 10:31 AM
Do you think that T5 injectors are too much fuel for like 18-20psi?

No, not too much, but you'll need some way of controlling 'em. I was running upwards of 20psi on the stock turbo with the 30lb injectors, you should read DanF's thread, he's on the stage II fuel chip & T5 injectors w/stock turbo, etc.

SteveMcqueen
10th May 2007, 12:24 PM
That beastly E12 in the background is a pretty sweet car... '78 530i, we got it all original with no accidents, perfect interior. My dad tossed the EGR system via later 5-series parts (common mod) for more power and better mileage. It's in fantastic shape, has period-correct BBS wheels, etc. Sad thing is, we have way more cars than drivers, and that one just sits. Steve, if you know anyone in the area that needs one, let me know. We'd much rather like to see it live it's life out on the road.

There are few good 'ultimate driving machines' left, most are now 'ultimate costco machines.'

The way the front slants I almost mistook it for an early 7 series. I had an old boss with a 2002 Tii (drool), that I am still trying to get from him. How much are you asking for that 530?

On topic, Im wondering how white fogs would look in place of the yellow ones?

Saabeh
10th May 2007, 12:48 PM
I do not want to get the fuel chip, is it still safe to upgrade the injectors?

TheRedBaron
10th May 2007, 12:54 PM
I do not want to get the fuel chip, is it still safe to upgrade the injectors?Well really you wan't to lean out the mixture at idle/match up the rest of the spectrum - you might as well have SD make you one, I believe they only charge $100, and can probably make the curve as aggressive (or not) as you want.

IronJoe
10th May 2007, 01:00 PM
Baron, he's got an 88 so no SD chip for him. SD, AFAIK, only does LH 2.4 chips. :cheesy:

TheRedBaron
10th May 2007, 01:08 PM
Baron, he's got an 88 so no SD chip for him. SD, AFAIK, only does LH 2.4 chips. :cheesy:Ahh. Missed that.

...megasquirt? :cheesy:

IronJoe
10th May 2007, 01:19 PM
switching to PM's on the Bimmer.

On topic, I don't know about the fogs. The yellow is that 3M protectant film, so it's easily removable.

Design exercise.

Original:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album53/P5060068_sized.sized.jpg

Blue:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album53/P5060068_blue.sized.jpg

White:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album53/P5060068_white.sized.jpg

Man, I take TERRIBLE pictures. Steve, you just need to come over and take pics whenever I do a new mod.

TheRedBaron
10th May 2007, 01:25 PM
I'd stick with yellow. If you had normal corners, maybe not, but once there's too much clear glass up front it looks a little too "kustum" for me :D

IronJoe
10th May 2007, 03:34 PM
UPDATE:

Thanks to a great SaabCentral member in the Seattle area, I now have the 1985 exhaust cam! What's even better is, I didn't have to get it shipped so it's here in time for the weekend build :cheesy: Thanks again Dan!

Yesterday I started pulling off the head... what on earth are the raised lines that sit on top of the camshafts? The 2.3L head doesn't have them! Do I need them? Help please, enlighten me! I thought I read that it's something to do with spreading oil around to lube the cams... yes/no?

Saab-Daniel
10th May 2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, that's for lubing the cams. Be carefull not to brake them, can't remember if you still can get them!
Can't remember what people do when switchting heads, hmm...
Daniel.

Saabeh
10th May 2007, 03:56 PM
You're always 1 or 5 steps ahead of me.

tikipants
10th May 2007, 03:57 PM
Hey Joe, met you on the Vortex.

Nice work you've got going here. Those E-Codes look sharp!

IronJoe
10th May 2007, 04:20 PM
You're always 1 or 5 steps ahead of me.

well I'm running out of mods. You'll catch up in no time!

tikipants- thanks for the comments. you're the one with the 87 SPG for sale, yes?

saabeh- what did you do about the plastic-cam-luber-deals? Did you swap them out (looks like a pain) or does the new head have an updated method for doing the same job?

Breakin5speeds
10th May 2007, 04:41 PM
the later heads oil the cam bearings from the bottom of the caps....no need to swap the bearing caps

IronJoe
10th May 2007, 04:47 PM
Thank you!! Ubipa on TSN confirms... 88-up had internal oilers. Hooray, those looked like a pain to remove without breaking!

tikipants
10th May 2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, that'd be me Joe. I just listed it here.

Palmer1980
11th May 2007, 02:36 AM
This thread makes me want to max out all of my credit cards.

bennys27
12th May 2007, 10:36 PM
it's a rust-oleum metallic, works wonders. There were several areas in which I burned through the paint when colorsanding. I just sprayed it on and feathered it out, no one's the wiser :cheesy:

I'll doublecheck the paint code when i get home. But I've used it several times on my front bumper, which is very low and a rock magnet.

how did you paint the airflow kit and panels? and what did you do before painting? my bumpers are badly faded, but they are also pretty rough on the surface.

Saabeh
13th May 2007, 02:14 AM
To tell you the truth, I just slapped the head on with a 2.1 intake manifold and all new gaskets. It turned out okay. I will remove it eventually and have it redone someday.

ejenner
13th May 2007, 09:39 AM
I think it's do-able

Another variation on the theme

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/saabpics/8v_tps_001.jpg

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/saabpics/8v_tps_003.jpg

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/saabpics/8v_tps_005.jpg

ejenner
13th May 2007, 09:41 AM
oh cool... just noticed... anyone spot the nitrous injection under the throttle intake on the right-hand-side of the last picture :cool: :lol:

Saab-Daniel
13th May 2007, 09:50 AM
oh cool... just noticed... anyone spot the nitrous injection under the throttle intake on the right-hand-side of the last picture :cool: :lol:

Hehe, Sweeet :)

ejenner
13th May 2007, 12:26 PM
yeah... going straight up from 133 lb/ft at 3400rpm to 212 lb/ft at 3800rpm was pretty bloody sweet... :cool:

ejenner
13th May 2007, 12:28 PM
Check it out... with and without graphs printed on the same sheet.

http://www.red-green.co.uk/web/photos/saabpics/9008v/8v_rr_oct06_01.JPG

ShadowWorks
13th May 2007, 07:56 PM
anyone spot the nitrous injection under the throttle intake on the right-hand-side of the last picture :cool: :lol:

Yep as soon as you said it I noticed it:lol:

Nos is scarey, all that power at once from laughing gas just seems wrong, imagine how powerful angry gas would be:lol: infact maybe laughter is more powerful

ejenner
14th May 2007, 02:04 AM
It certianly does make you laugh!

IronJoe
14th May 2007, 12:16 PM
Head swap is complete, pics to come. Haven't driven it yet, just let it idle for a while until the lifters got quiet.

Two bothered me though, items which I've never seen mentioned before.

1) AIC-to-Intake manifold vaccum port: The 2.1L manifold has a smaller size! Much smaller! Unfortunately, we didn't have a chuck to hold the correct drill to open up the hole, or the right size boring bar. So we used some black RTV and 'glued' the elbow in, without the use of a rubber grommet. Anyone else run into this problem?

2) The front engine hoist bracket (w/grounds) does not fit with new intake manifold: All it took was a bit of dremel tool time, but I found it curious that no one mentioned this before.

Other than these issues (and triple-checking the timing chain sprockets for correctness) it came out well.

Anyway, while the exhaust manifold was out, I cleaned it and painted it with black 1200 deg. engine block paint. We'll see what happens. I also ground down the hump in the exh manifold, Don't know if it makes a difference but it looks like a restriction.

Teaser photos from the cell:

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo27/73/e3/20114e21a6ef.jpg

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo29/82/a5/1a73caf5de8c.jpg
Oh, and I'll be the first to say it:

u knwo u dontt have a vigggin U ric3r!!! FTL

Saabeh
15th May 2007, 01:06 PM
HEY IONRJOE, DO U HAV A VEGGIN? CUZ MY DADS CUZIN HAS ONE AND ITS DA BOMB DE R SO FAZT ESPECIALLYY WHEN THE NAWZ HITS>

But seriously, that 1200 degree stuff has a tolerance of 1200 degrees when you bake it in an oven. I coated mine in that stuff too without baking.

Before:
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/album323/STA70269.jpg

After a few months:
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/album486/STA70352.sized.jpg

SteveMcqueen
15th May 2007, 07:15 PM
Seems like the expanding/contracting of the metal would make it flake of pretty fast.

philjohnhb
16th May 2007, 04:52 AM
I have heard of many people having success with baking painted engine bits in the oven.

TOP TIP: Make sure the Mem Sahib is well out of the picture first!

IronJoe
16th May 2007, 11:51 AM
Yea, I was advised to hit it with the heat gun before installation. We'll see if it holds up, I'm not holding my breath.

As for the car itself, I moved the AIC hookup from the old-style on the manifold, to the new-style coming off the throttle body. Overall the car runs fine, I'm running on base boost through the break-in period just in case, then after the 1000 mile head bolt retorque I'll start tuning it. I'm really excited to see the difference the lower CR makes.

Around town in the low revs its slower. Hooray gas mileage! :cheesy:

philjohnhb
16th May 2007, 01:53 PM
You shouldn't need to retorque the head, especially with new bolts.

IronJoe
16th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Well I've learned to obey the bentley word-for-word. So they're getting retorqued after 1000 miles.

And the original head bolts were within spec, so I used them. Once again, bentley tells me it's ok. :cheesy:

philjohnhb
16th May 2007, 02:01 PM
Can't argue with that.

IronJoe
17th May 2007, 12:09 PM
I snapped a few pics of the engine bay. I'm really a terrible photographer. Either that or there are settings on the camera I don't know about (like no blur mode)

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P5140059_Custom.sized.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P5140061_Custom.sized.jpg

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P5140062_Custom.sized.jpg

Just in case you need a snack while working on the car, the AC bracket makes for a great candy holder ;)

SteveMcqueen
17th May 2007, 02:39 PM
That reminds me how much I hate red silicone hoses.

PS: Werthers OG is for fogies. :cheesy:

philjohnhb
17th May 2007, 03:16 PM
I like Werthers originals - just don't tell anyone.

The adverts in the UK make you want to throw up.

unkleG'sif
17th May 2007, 03:44 PM
Just in case you need a snack while working on the car, the AC bracket makes for a great candy holder ;)

shouldnt that be a handy candy holder...? :p :lol: :p

G

Matthew
17th May 2007, 03:48 PM
88-up had internal oilers.
In the UK at least, MY89+ had the internal oilers.

My MY88 T16 has overhead oilers, Alex's MY89 T16S has internal oilers.

Well I've learned to obey the bentley word-for-word. So they're getting retorqued after 1000 miles.
The instruction leaflet which comes with the current head gasket sets that re-torquing the bolts is not necessary.

However, after speaking to a couple of friends a few wees ago, I am beginning to wonder. Talk of head bolts being barely finger-tight. That does assume whomever fitted the head followed the correct torque procedure.

TheRedBaron
17th May 2007, 04:19 PM
Is it really that much trouble to retorque a couple of bolts? My dad always said, "Better safe than sorry!"

Matthew
17th May 2007, 04:49 PM
Do you want to unnecessarily disturb the gasket?

Perhaps the risk is very low, if the head is re-torqued one bolt at a time.

Palmer1980
18th May 2007, 02:07 AM
I snapped a few pics of the engine bay. I'm really a terrible photographer. Either that or there are settings on the camera I don't know about (like no blur mode)

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P5140062_Custom.sized.jpg

That's where I put my beer.

Pff, werthers.

IronJoe
25th May 2007, 10:56 AM
Small update. Rear cross-drilled rotors & ceramic pads are on. Painted calipers black, same as the front, looks 100000x better.

Tossed my turbo - downpipe gasket, bolted it up metal to metal. Haven't found any leaks, but it's still boost creepin' for some reason. Next step is to bypass the apc solenoid, one vac line from turbo to wastegate. Not sure what to try if that fails.

Also about halfway thru the break-in, after I retorque the head bolts (assuming my base boost is playing nice) I'll plug APC back in and start running at full power.

IronJoe can has serious trubo saab.

IronJoe
29th May 2007, 01:00 PM
Had some time in the garage over Memorial day weekend, time for another small update:

-Bought some ultra high-temp gasket material and cut a new turbo-DP flange gasket. Worked really well, no visible leaks.

-Ported the living daylights outta the WG hole on the downpipe flange and the housing, gasket matched as well. Worked wonders and the base boost no longer creeps. wahoo.

-Installed new intake in inner fender, see post (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=971538#post971538)

-Plugged in my APC for a few test runs. Definitely more than enough power. Can't wait to get back on the rollers with this setup. Next mod is base boost/full boost switch.

TheRedBaron
29th May 2007, 01:13 PM
Sweet dude, so much for my apc solenoid idea ;) Next up - new gearbox? :lol:

IronJoe
5th June 2007, 05:33 PM
IronJoe: so my new clutch is slipping since I've upped the power more.
Non Car Enthusiast Friend: Oh yeah?
IronJoe: yep, gonna have to fix it. Gotta get a better clutch.
Friend: well... can't you just turn the power back down?

:o

New clutch is on the way. I went with the Swedish Dynamics "stage II" (not on their site) which is basically the kevlar disc with the sintered steel lining upgrade. I didn't want a 4-puck or 6-puck as it'd be too harsh for daily driving. Should be here in a week or two. Then after the install comes another long break-in period. It seems all I'm ever doing with this car is breaking something, or breaking something in. :lol:

Anyway, this clutch was recommended to me mainly because of my mods list and dyno results. Apparently 310ft/lbs doesn't really make stock clutches happy. After it's bedded and running smooth I'll get on the dyno again. Gary was incredibly helpful of course.

I still haven't decided if I'll have my flywheel lightened. I've got more reading to do. Chime in if you want :cheesy:

EDIT: Here's last year's clutch slipping thread (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81982) :roll: I had to laugh.

Squaab99t
6th June 2007, 02:34 AM
New clutch is on the way. I went with the Swedish Dynamics "stage II" (not on their site) which is basically the kevlar disc with the sintered steel lining upgrade. I didn't want a 4-puck or 6-puck as it'd be too harsh for daily driving. Should be here in a week or two. Then after the install comes another long break-in period. It seems all I'm ever doing with this car is breaking something, or breaking something in. :lol:

Anyway, this clutch was recommended to me mainly because of my mods list and dyno results. Apparently 310ft/lbs doesn't really make stock clutches happy. After it's bedded and running smooth I'll get on the dyno again. Gary was incredibly helpful of course.

I still haven't decided if I'll have my flywheel lightened. I've got more reading to do. Chime in if you want :cheesy:

EDIT: Here's last year's clutch slipping thread (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81982) :roll: I had to laugh.

310 ft-lbs are some pretty good numbers. You had 270 at the wheels. I'm running the dual clutch pack. A ******* to feather, but no slippage. A lighten flywheel will help a few things. Engine rev and turbo spool up will be a bit quicker. The engine will "back drive" more for compression braking, so when you lift off the throttle the engine has less flywheel so it slows quicker. (less brake) You will get some benifits, but it would be best to the lightening and balancing of all the rotating mass components. My first go around I went with a lighten stock flywheel. All good, no stalling when the fans kicked on, or on the Seattle hills. With my new setup I have to give it a bit more juice and more pedal work. If you are going to play with the big girls and boys you might have to go with 4 or 6 puck... :p

IronJoe
6th June 2007, 12:31 PM
Dennis -

Who makes your clutch? Is there a torque rating? I don't think I'll need a puck clutch... I think I'm about at my limit for the Bosch LH 2.2 and the car will probably keep the bosch system until it's no longer my daily driver. As far as I'm concerned I'm pretty much hitting a ceiling with it. I wasn't incredibly pleased with my a/f on the dyno, but hopefully the lowered CR of the new head has helped with that a bit... :confused:

Where did you get your flywheel lightened? Got any good recommendations for shops in the area? I'm still not sure if that's the route I want to go.

TheRedBaron
6th June 2007, 01:30 PM
Joe, if I were you I'd do an aluminum flywheel, if you lighten the stocker too much I feel like it would be weaker and more likely to shatter, which could be disastrous depending on the situation, could take out a lot in the engine bay. But then again, a machinist's fee seems real nice next to the prices they advertize for aluminum units...

Squaab99t
6th June 2007, 03:18 PM
Dennis -

Who makes your clutch? Is there a torque rating? I don't think I'll need a puck clutch... I think I'm about at my limit for the Bosch LH 2.2 and the car will probably keep the bosch system until it's no longer my daily driver. As far as I'm concerned I'm pretty much hitting a ceiling with it. I wasn't incredibly pleased with my a/f on the dyno, but hopefully the lowered CR of the new head has helped with that a bit... :confused:

Where did you get your flywheel lightened? Got any good recommendations for shops in the area? I'm still not sure if that's the route I want to go.
Quartermater. It was not a standard offering, but they made (5) units for ScanWest. 600ft-lbs. The fly wheel came with the kit. Total weight is sub 15#. The real torque will come out when you can properly control your spark. The problem w/ the LH is that you can not change your fuel w/o a new reflash chip. That is what is nice about a standalone. You can adjust as you change fuel , exhaust, or induction components.
Autosport in Seattle. If you want it balanced (which you do) they will need your crank (spare) F/W, pressure plate and all the fasteners. Action Machine in Shoreline is also a good place to check out.

http://www.quartermasterusa.com/images/V7_25tech.gif

philjohnhb
7th June 2007, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=IronJoe]IronJoe: so my new clutch is slipping since I've upped the power more.
Non Car Enthusiast Friend: Oh yeah?
IronJoe: yep, gonna have to fix it. Gotta get a better clutch.
Friend: well... can't you just turn the power back down?

:o

Well you can on the stereo so why can't you on the car? FANTASTIC conversation, i'd would have loved to have seen your face.

DREWZ AIRFLOW SE
8th June 2007, 04:17 PM
Oh no are car's have the say name.

sadragonab05
8th June 2007, 11:36 PM
IronJoe
where did u get that nice bumper
me want one :lol: :cool:

IronJoe
20th June 2007, 11:54 AM
No, this thread's not dead. Still waiting for my clutch to arrive, so base boost it is! I'm taking the Grey Ghost in for wetsanding/glaze/polish/wax/detail today. I am terrible at all of the above things, and I don't posess the "craft" that the professionals do. I figure I'll leave it up to them to make my car shine.

Pics will follow tomorrow when I pick it up.

sadragonab05
20th June 2007, 12:14 PM
man where did you find that nice bumper i have a 87 900 turbo that it would look sweet can you tell me where you found it at

IronJoe
20th June 2007, 12:55 PM
thanks, that's part of the saab Airflow or Carlsson kit. In the US it was a dealer-installed option, no models came from the factory to the US with it. Therefore, it's pretty rare and usually expensive, if you find one. There are, however, reproductions available.

Orca's very detailed page (http://www.pjgh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saab/specials/pages/bodykit_airflow_post-1987.html)

li Arc
20th June 2007, 02:45 PM
Hey Joe, your links are bad! :p ...except the last one... ;)

li Arc

IronJoe
6th July 2007, 06:47 PM
Gotta make sure this thread doesn't slip away! Family issues put car projects on the back burner the last few weeks, but all is good.

1) my SD clutch is finally in transit (parts were on backorder from Cosworth) :cheesy:
2) AC blankout ready to install (thanks RM)
3) Finally caved and ripped off my wheel arches, drilled the correct holes in the fender. They were all starting to pull up on at least one end. Passenger side is bolted up now!

Also, I'm downright terrible at waxing a car. It's hopeless.

philjohnhb
7th July 2007, 12:55 PM
I was just about to abandon the standard method of attaching the wheel arches and go for what you've done and now you tell me that it's no good - make your "$%^*6 mind up.

There must be a better way than standard, what was wrong with the bond that you used - not strong enough? I wonder if this JB WELD stuff would be any good?

IronJoe
7th July 2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry Phil!! As you can imagine, it's trial and error. I ended up using 3M weatherstripping adhesive + two bolts, one at each end. That's a good compromise between drilling a ton of holes and losing an arch! That's my worst nightmare.

ejenner
7th July 2007, 02:07 PM
I'd bring the lip of the arch back to bare metal. Paint it with something highly waterproof. Fix the wheel arch in place with some sticky tape. Drill some holes up through the bottom of the arch (through both the plastic arch extension and the metal arch) Then I'd rivet the arch to the car using stainless (or similar) rivets. Then I'd wack a load more waterproof coating around the back of the wheelarch so the holes I drilled didn't encourage the metal part of the arch to rust.

Matthew
7th July 2007, 10:46 PM
Sikaflex (again) will securely hold the arches in place. They have a range of automotive adhesives.

Holes drilled in the arches are a big rust risk!

ejenner
8th July 2007, 07:42 AM
Sikaflex (again) will securely hold the arches in place. They have a range of automotive adhesives.

I'd like to be able to remove them again if I needed to. If they were glued on that would be a bit difficult.

Holes drilled in the arches are a big rust risk!

Doesn't stop people doing it though. And arches without holes in rust anyway! I spose you could always try and replicate the Saab setup and fix a plastic moulding to the edge of the metal arch and then screw the plastic arch extension into that moulding using some very short screws.

...although, having said that, having something loosly fitted over the edge of the arch would encourage trapped moisture. The arches didn't always stay solidly attached to the car either. Mine had gotten very flakey by the time the car was 15 years old.

philjohnhb
9th July 2007, 04:45 AM
...although, having said that, having something loosly fitted over the edge of the arch would encourage trapped moisture. The arches didn't always stay solidly attached to the car either. Mine had gotten very flakey by the time the car was 15 years old.

Yep, that's the worry. I still have the standard set-up on my car and if anything was designed to encourage rot that's it. I don't want to rely solely on adhesive as, like Iron Joe, the thought of losing an arch is a nightmare.

IronJoe
9th July 2007, 11:51 AM
Well, the arches are bolted. I ended up using only two bolts per arch, and combined that with some 3M adhesive that's tough stuff.

As for rust, the holes are rust treated, filled, and will be sprayed with rubberized undercoating. As this won't be my daily driver for much longer, it seems less and less likely that it'll see another winter on the road.

I've replaced fenders twice on this car. I'll replace another from rust damage before I lose an original airflow fender flare!! :cool:

In other news, my muffler hanger broke (not the rubber piece, the metal). So my exhaust is hanging down and the tailpipe is sitting at an angle (ghetto). I don't really want to take it back to the shop that did my cat-back, so I'm going to weld it up myself after the clutch is installed, which is this week!

philjohnhb
9th July 2007, 12:09 PM
Which 3M adhesive?

IronJoe
10th July 2007, 01:08 PM
I love the classic 900. Especially when it comes time to do a clutch.

Got home yesterday from work, pulled the stock clutch and had the SD one bolted up in under three hours. Not my record time, but I was trying to keep my shiny engine bay as clean as possible ;-)

Here's the kevlar/sintered iron clutch disk & sachs pressure plate:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album90/Image017.sized.jpg

Aaaand... installed.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album90/Image018.sized.jpg

and a hot pic of the motor
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album90/Image019.sized.jpg

I haven't driven it yet, as I have to weld up the muffler bracket that broke off before it sees the road again. There is definitely more pedal pressure, but it doesn't feel like an "on-off" situation. Pic of bulging leg muscle soon.

Squaab99t
10th July 2007, 03:12 PM
Did you lighten and balance your flywheel while it was available? I would suspect you didn't do the PP since you had it out of the box and on the car in 3 hrs.

IronJoe
10th July 2007, 04:01 PM
I decided against lightening the flywheel. After lots and lots of reading and research til my eyes bled, I think for the driving that I do and the gains I would get wouldn't be worth it. I rather enjoy the "weighty" feel of the c900 pedal off-idle. I drove a car with a lightened flywheel, and I can best describe it as, well, "touchy." A blip of the throttle on downshift could too easily be not enough or too much. With the stock c900 flywheel there is much more of a fudge factor.

And that's what I'll need for driving the car with this type of clutch. Either way I'll look like I don't know how to drive stick for the first few drives :cheesy:

IronJoe
12th July 2007, 02:42 PM
Had to fashion a new hanger for the exhaust yesterday, as the shop who did my 2.5" cat-back used a hanger that ended up breaking loose. Cool :roll:

Anyway, I'm now starting my easy break-in of the clutch. I was fearing some ultra-tough engagement and pedal pressure, but after a day of driving I can say it's not that bad! :cool:

The easiest way to explain it is, there's a little bit of a "grab" as it engages, and in the lower 1/2 of pedal travel, the pressure is greater. But not undriveable at all.

If anybody was interested in upgrading to a tougher clutch but was afraid to do so due to fear of decreased driveability, I can tell you that it's not too big of a worry.

Once I break it in properly I'll put some boost to it and see if it holds :cheesy:

IronJoe
19th July 2007, 01:19 PM
Car is running hot. I figured it was just the weather, but today in stop-n-go (oh joy) I hit probably 8 or 9/10 on the gauge, almost to red. Last week I bled the coolant from the thermostat elbow, but apparently it didn't help.

So just to make sure, I'm looking at:
-thermostat (82 deg)
-thermofanswitch (82 deg)

Also, is there a quick way to make the AC cooling fan come on with the standard fan? I think that'd be good, megaboost seems to generate a lot of heat and the cooler the better :cool:

I also have the strangest PS fluid leak, coming from the resevoir. I found it leaking out of the SPG panel, it's been flowing down the inside of the fender well and out the bottom of the car. It's enough to make a spot on the driveway, but my fluid doesn't look lower than normal? This is brand new and I haven't driven it much... perhaps the extreme heat we had last week (100* in the PNW) loosened a resevoir hose connection? Seem likely? Or are the resevoirs known to crack or split?

philb
19th July 2007, 02:25 PM
If you aren't in traffic, is the temp ok? If so, in traffic, when does the fan cut in?
AC fan along with main fan, I'm sure theres a way to jury rig the relays together, I've seen posts about it on here.
PS reservoir.. I doubt the reservoir has cracked. Have you checked the hose connections? On my car, the return connection on the rack was leaking, this leak travelled down the hose, and then the drip transferred to another hose, ending up on the wishbone mounting :)
So in your case, the drip might be travelling down the hose from an iffy connection at the reservoir, and then contacting the bodywork somewhere, then going out to the spg panel :)

IronJoe
19th July 2007, 02:51 PM
Open road driving, the temp is great, needle at 1/2. Also I should mention that the fans kick on at a little over 1/2. It's been running hotter than normal since after the head swap, thought it was just the hotter weather but it's not.

Also the temps went down once I turned the heat on full blast.

Squaab99t
19th July 2007, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=IronJoe]Car is running hot. I figured it was just the weather, but today in stop-n-go (oh joy) I hit probably 8 or 9/10 on the gauge, almost to red. Last week I bled the coolant from the thermostat elbow, but apparently it didn't help.

So just to make sure, I'm looking at:
-thermostat (82 deg)
-thermofanswitch (82 deg)

Also, is there a quick way to make the AC cooling fan come on with the standard fan? I think that'd be good, megaboost seems to generate a lot of heat and the cooler the better :cool:

QUOTE]

You can put both fan relays in series, but kicking on both at the same time will most likely will stall the engine. Too big of draw for the AIC to react. If you still have the AC hooked up push the button? I know the A/C is linked to the bosch ECU so I think it gives it a warning for the big draw to come. 2 Staged fans are what I'm shooting for. There are 3 prong thermo switches that fit the rad. 82 deg and 95 deg. Since I have the standalone I'm going to kick the secondary fan on when it goes above "normal" when the primary fan can't cut it.

Saabeh
19th July 2007, 06:37 PM
My car runs around less than half when driving around. I watch my temp like a hawk. When I hit my A/C button, both of my fans come on and it keeps my temp less than half in 100 degree traffic.

li Arc
19th July 2007, 07:17 PM
I want to do this too, since I'm having some heat issues with my car too, and I've disabled my AC.

As far as the clutch goes, Joe, I've got the exact same clutch...seriously felt like a different car for a bit, since it engaged so high in the pedal travel, when I was used to 1/2 way. I've been getting used to it though, so it's good and more smooth now. Boosting all the way over 22psi I haven't seen any problems in terms of slip yet. I'd go higher, but 1) still waiting on my Forge wg actuator, 2) vac advance busted, need a new one, and 3) my boost gauge only goes up to 20 :p

li Arc

IronJoe
19th July 2007, 07:52 PM
I thought you got the kevlar/copper one?

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=965075&postcount=4

Is it the one in this link? http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item87.htm
Mine is a step higher than the one listed (it's not on SD's site). Instead of copper/kevlar, it's sintered iron/kevlar. Supposedly the best grip w/o going to a puck clutch. :confused:

li Arc
19th July 2007, 07:58 PM
Hmmm...not sure...looks exactly the same though. I'd have to check my bill for it again...what was the pricing on it? I didn't go through their website when ordering, so I can't really remember...at any rate, serious grip! But not viscious engagement though!

li Arc

Palmer1980
19th July 2007, 09:46 PM
I have one of my fans hooked to the AC switch, and the other is still hooked to the relay.

I jumpered one to the other, and now both turn on when I push the AC switch. I have never stalled out or anything...

gorper
19th July 2007, 10:57 PM
...is there a quick way to make the AC cooling fan come on with the standard fan? Jumper the connector at the receiver/drier at the right front fender, and the two wires at the compressor. Push AC button and fan runs.

This will not solve some other cooling problem, however.

Or are the resevoirs known to crack or split?The reservoirs can crack. The later ones (92-93), which are black, not opaque white, are better. A local Saab shop saves the black ones from parted out cars but doesn't much care to keep the white ones around. Of course, you may just have a bad hose.

IronJoe
20th July 2007, 01:57 PM
Which two wires at the compressor? Sorry, my AC has been gone for years now, I don't remember what went to the compressor.

I picked up a new (junkyard) radiator fan, it was from an '87 like mine but oddly enough the motor is of a different design. It's slimmer, so the motor doesn't stick out very far (not as close to the turbo) so I'll be replacing that anyway, along with the thermostat and fan switch.

I'll try the AC fan hookup this weekend. Thanks guys.

Breakin5speeds
25th July 2007, 07:55 PM
not at the compressor....in the right front fender well....near where the ac condensor was connected, there was a low pressure disconnect switch at/on the reciever dryer

IronJoe
30th July 2007, 01:04 PM
No more running hot for the grey ghost. A new thermostat (OEM), thermofan switch, and radiator fan have been installed. Although I'm quite sure the new thermostat fixed the problem, I was baffled at the difference between the fan I took out, and the fan I replaced it with.

The fan I installed was from an '87 but looked totally different from mine. The shroud was different, the fan had more (thinner) blades and the fan wheel was orange-yellow. The new fan looks like the same as the one on my SPG.

The new one looks like this:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ac/49/a9af_1.JPG

Here's the old one(the yellowish fan):
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album77/P5140059_Custom.sized.jpg

Anybody know what year 900 that fan is from? Or, what car it's from? :o

IronJoe
2nd August 2007, 04:01 PM
So after my AMM adjustments (never really got it right, can't get the voltage to swing, gonna try it again with the test plug) The car seemed to be peppier in the low end, not as bogged down. Running leaner, which also gave better mileage.

Well, I plugged in my SD stage 4 APC last night and went for a drive. It was nice and cool outside. PING PING PING PING and my knock LED lights up like a Christmas tree at 20 psi. APC did it's job and I ended up down at 14-15 psi at 5k.

Whereas before my knock light wouldn't light up at all, and the clutch would slip as soon as I hit full boost. The AMM adjustment was the only thing I changed.

The car felt embarassingly slow at speed, as boost would cut back immediately and the LED would blink like crazy. *sigh* time to readjust.

Needless to say, I love how APC works and was frightened to think about if I still had my MBC set there at 18psi. kabooms? Anyway we'll see how it behaves after another adjustment, but I may be in for a new AMM if it won't cooperate.

Shan
3rd August 2007, 11:02 AM
The fan I installed was from an '87 but looked totally different from mine. The shroud was different, the fan had more (thinner) blades and the fan wheel was orange-yellow. The new fan looks like the same as the one on my SPG.

Anybody know what year 900 that fan is from? Or, what car it's from? :o
The shroud on your yellow fan looks very much like the one in this thread :
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79793

idiot_saabvant
3rd August 2007, 04:24 PM
IronJoe,

Are you getting to much air with your open element air filter? Have you tried restricting the flow some. Perhaps with all your exhaust mods, you are flowing to much air and not enough fuel, thus the increase in AMM setting to make it richer. I had to richen the beejeezus out of the AMM to get reasonable A/R ratios when I did not have my BOV hooked up to recirc, and just vented to air. When I got that resolved, I had to go back to a leaner setting. My current problem is getting knock with less of a load on the engine. In second and parts of third gear with a good load I get no knock and can hold boost, but under no load in fourth and fifth gear then knock and boost taper.

Are you getting proper fuel pressures at higher boost levels?

pierre

li Arc
7th August 2007, 07:16 PM
I thought you got the kevlar/copper one?

Well Joe, looks like it's not holding up...slipping in 4th and 5th, can't be anything else. It's only been about 2 months, and I'm nowhere near 300ft-lbs torque (maybe 210 or 220 max, since I'm getting 20psi+ boost), so something is amiss. Will talk to SD about it and see what gives...I'd like to see if I can uprate it to the one you have, do you know the specs on it?

li Arc

IronJoe
8th August 2007, 02:05 PM
IronJoe,

Are you getting to much air with your open element air filter? Have you tried restricting the flow some. Perhaps with all your exhaust mods, you are flowing to much air and not enough fuel, thus the increase in AMM setting to make it richer. I had to richen the beejeezus out of the AMM to get reasonable A/R ratios when I did not have my BOV hooked up to recirc, and just vented to air. When I got that resolved, I had to go back to a leaner setting. My current problem is getting knock with less of a load on the engine. In second and parts of third gear with a good load I get no knock and can hold boost, but under no load in fourth and fifth gear then knock and boost taper.

Are you getting proper fuel pressures at higher boost levels?

pierre

I'm not sure pierre, although the fuel chip, 34# injectors, and 3.0 fpr should be supplying more than enough. The only thing I changed was the AMM setting, which is why I am quite sure that my last adjustment is the problem.

I'm going to swap it out for the untampered-with one from my SPG and see if I get a better reading. If so, it may be time for an AMM rebuild. Or ditch LH for MS :cheesy:

IronJoe
13th August 2007, 03:10 PM
Readjusted the AMM using Jak's recommendation, car is running much smoother now and hopefully sipping less fuel. Also, boost is right where it should be, around 20-22psi in the "onramp gears."

Still have a leak in the power steering system, looks like it's coming from the resevoir itself. Meh. Otherwise it's in great running condition, if all goes well it'll make it to a vortex dyno day this September.

saabspg18's 88 SPG and the vert, tinkering after our junkyard run.

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/Image035.sized.jpg

nnamssorxela
14th August 2007, 01:34 AM
So I've been searching like crazy for 4X108 rims, and I found some used that the seller says will fit. I think they look pretty good (1 bad pic)

http://charleston.craigslist.org/pts/390282000.html
-Alex

philjohnhb
14th August 2007, 04:46 AM
They look like the same as yours IJ.

The car's looking really nice chum but; what's the drivers seat doing reclined like a ricer's?

Squaab99t
14th August 2007, 03:04 PM
Readjusted the AMM using Jak's recommendation, car is running much smoother now and hopefully sipping less fuel. Also, boost is right where it should be, around 20-22psi in the "onramp gears."

Still have a leak in the power steering system, looks like it's coming from the resevoir itself. Meh. Otherwise it's in great running condition, if all goes well it'll make it to a vortex dyno day this September.

saabspg18's 88 SPG and the vert, tinkering after our junkyard run.

Get ready this weekend and you might win some money for all your hard work. Plus show others what a Saab can be...
http://www.kitoautosport.com/dynochallenge.html

IronJoe
14th August 2007, 04:05 PM
I'd love too, but I've got to get the SPG ready for hood + sunroof paint.

Looking around on their site though, I saw pics from the dyno day I didn't see before. Had you seen these?

http://www.kitoautosport.com/dynodays/4-21-07%20Saab/index.html

Me and stevemcqueen, nice action shot lol
http://www.kitoautosport.com/dynodays/4-21-07%20Saab/images/DCP_1327.jpg

Heavy hitters:
http://www.kitoautosport.com/dynodays/4-21-07%20Saab/images/DCP_1334.jpg

TheRedBaron
14th August 2007, 04:20 PM
Who's car is this?
http://www.kitoautosport.com/dynodays/4-21-07%20Saab/images/DCP_1310.jpg
I love the look of the backend on this car - did the old ones come like this, or did he take out the second set of lights on the back? I didn't know eddy gray was available back then - repaint? It's real cool. I also like the no side trim at all look. And incas? I'm drooling over here.

IronJoe
14th August 2007, 04:22 PM
Well first, that's a 99 ;)

But older 900s came without the second set of red reflectors.

http://www.kitoautosport.com/dynodays/4-21-07%20Saab/images/DCP_1301.jpg

TheRedBaron
14th August 2007, 04:27 PM
Well it looks deliciously vintage :D I think I may have to get a pre facelift and do some body modification.

philjohnhb
15th August 2007, 06:40 AM
http://www.kitoautosport.com/dynodays/4-21-07%20Saab/images/DCP_1327.jpg

Looking particularly fine in that shot (the car, not you). You should paint it black 'though mate!

nnamssorxela
15th August 2007, 11:36 AM
Every time I look at your car I lose all thoughts of ever selling mine.
The possibilities, oh the possibilities...

IronJoe
20th August 2007, 03:46 PM
Small update - I replaced the power steering reservoir from the upgraded style out of a '92 900, all black. The reservoir was definitely leaking. I'll probably have to do the same thing to the SPG, as it (and the two older 900s in the junkyard) has evidence of leaks from the same location.

Honkey
21st August 2007, 05:48 AM
Small update - I replaced the power steering reservoir from the upgraded style out of a '92 900, all black. The reservoir was definitely leaking. I'll probably have to do the same thing to the SPG, as it (and the two older 900s in the junkyard) has evidence of leaks from the same location.

I have the all black PS Res, its hard to tell where your PS Fluid level is... I wish I had the clear one. Is there a trick to it or something?

IronJoe
21st August 2007, 10:54 AM
I have the all black PS Res, its hard to tell where your PS Fluid level is... I wish I had the clear one. Is there a trick to it or something?

Mine has a dipstick built into the cap. Perhaps you're missing yours?

Honkey
21st August 2007, 11:06 AM
Mine has a dipstick built into the cap. Perhaps you're missing yours?

How lovely ;oops:

Cheers to the PO...

saabismi
25th August 2007, 05:59 AM
I love your car...though...i dont like that valve cover...Its just too...Black..it would be nicer if youd make it a little bit..faded:roll:;oops:

IronJoe
27th August 2007, 12:12 PM
I love your car...though...i dont like that valve cover...Its just too...Black..it would be nicer if youd make it a little bit..faded:roll:;oops:

You're right, you know what the problem is? It's gloss black paint. It should be a semi gloss or satin black. It's too shiny.

RWElphinstone
27th August 2007, 12:19 PM
I love your car...though...i dont like that valve cover...Its just too...Black.

Yo yo yo - don't be hatin'! ;) Seriously though, I agree with the idea of it being painted flat or satin. (Just had to put in my $0.02) :cool:

IronJoe
30th August 2007, 08:10 PM
Just bought a couple cans of this...

Why would I need this? :cool:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/tesr2505.jpg

RWElphinstone
30th August 2007, 08:18 PM
Just bought a couple cans of this...

Why would I need this? :cool:

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album49/tesr2505.jpg

...because your candy apples have lost their sheen? :p

Palmer1980
31st August 2007, 01:29 AM
Lenses.

Rear lenses.

Like the VW guys do.

IronJoe
31st August 2007, 03:20 AM
Lenses.

Rear lenses.

Like the VW guys do.

Claps. But... why would I need red rear lenses?

Saab-Daniel
31st August 2007, 03:22 AM
Because you have made new rear lenses?
Daniel.

IronJoe
31st August 2007, 03:25 AM
Pics tomorrow as I had an accident involving aircraft paint stripper. Don't worry, the car is ok.

Saab-Daniel
31st August 2007, 03:30 AM
Hmm, this sounds interesting :)
Daniel.

RWElphinstone
31st August 2007, 09:22 AM
So... No apples, then? (Are my posts that unfunny that I don't even get a "boooooo..."?)

:p

IronJoe
1st September 2007, 12:53 AM
I realize this is probably the first mod that many of you will hate. oh well, it's rare.

Probably top five (?) rarest c900 parts... At least top ten. I had to do it.

The pics tell the story.

Palmer wins:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image082.sized.jpg

Red > Smoke > Orange
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image087.sized.jpg

TA DAAAA!
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image086.sized.jpg

Fitting:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image088.sized.jpg

Almost...
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image091.sized.jpg

Done.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image092.sized.jpg

Palmer1980
1st September 2007, 01:08 AM
Ok, so you did one of 3 things...

You made that, cut up a non-vert one, or found a vert decor panel.

Either way, YOU ARE CRAZY.

It looks great!

I was talking to someone about making one of these at SOC out of some flourescent celing light covers. Looks like I'm gonna have to give it a shot now.

IronJoe
1st September 2007, 02:28 AM
Shots at an angle:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image094.sized.jpg
Decor panels:
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album98/Image093.sized.jpg

Big thanks to DanComden for the piece. It's really in amazing condition. It fit very well, and although my terrible cell cam pics can't show it, the red tint matches great.

The only issue is as of right now the lights are hazy and the decor panel is shiny. I sprayed both tails with clearcoat, and will buff them after a few days.

Comments welcome, capslock is just left of your pinky if you need it.

IronJoe
1st September 2007, 01:58 PM
Ok, so you did one of 3 things...

You made that, cut up a non-vert one, or found a vert decor panel.

Either way, YOU ARE CRAZY.

There's a fourth option: make it all up with photoshop. But I didn't do that either.

What makes this piece even more rare is, the european version (for the euro plates) is a completely different piece. So you can't just buy one on ebay UK and have it shipped over, you need the one correct for the US plates.

Here's a pic of the UK style decor panel, from member Danst16s gallery.
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/album482/K55MOR_010.jpg

shhhhh..... I like the US one better ;)

KurBads
1st September 2007, 02:19 PM
looks like you have made it out of c900 3/5-door decor panel by cutting off the sides ... looks good

nnamssorxela
1st September 2007, 03:54 PM
red turn signals? I guess that's how most GM cars are any way. It looks great. I found one for a 3 door a while back (for pretty much free!!!) but it had a few holes smashed in it so I didnt get it....looking back it was a mistake, that and the SPG pannels and vent covers. I'm sure I'll find them again.
-Alex

philjohnhb
2nd September 2007, 10:07 AM
Looks like my PM was too late, nice job. I came close to buying one myself just a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure it'll look any good with the awful yellow rear plates we have in the UK. Also, looking at Dans it isn't nearly as nice as yours (no offence Dan).

Turbo-Snaab
3rd September 2007, 10:53 PM
Nice, i was going to suggest getting an oval muffler tip, but looks like you took care of that :) You concidered painting the centers of your wheels (everything but lip) matching body color ? i think it would look killer, body color matched centrers with the lip the color the wheels are now! :cool:

DanComden
4th September 2007, 09:24 PM
Looks nice IronJoe. Bright sunlight will bring out the colors next time you're taking shots. And gorper gets credit for recognizing the part when we were doing the junkyard vulture thing that led to the sale to you. I would've walked right by it.

IronJoe
19th September 2007, 11:13 AM
Well, the Grey Ghost is officially off the road. I've got lots planned over the winter, so hopefully by next spring it'll be ready to hit the road as soon as the sun shows itself!

Plans include:
-Megasquirt for fuel control
-turbo rebuild w/monster thrust bearing & gapped oil seal
-stage III turbine wheel OR clipped turbine wheel

I also need a catch can, badly. Oil is pooling up in my IC pipe hump hose, causing the coupler to blow off. All the time. Anyway, it looks like I'll be one of the guinea pigs for PaulH & DeLorean's production LH-MS connector. Excitement.

philb
19th September 2007, 12:40 PM
Surely megasquirt ignition also?

IronJoe
19th September 2007, 01:02 PM
Ignition isn't where I'm having the problem. I am going to focus on fuel control first. Once that's dialed in and running I will look at the other things MS can do. I don't want to open up too many cans of worms at a time :cheesy:

Saab-Daniel
19th September 2007, 01:43 PM
Joe, no matter where you have your trouble, incorporating ignition will probably provide you with the most gain, hp and driveability-wise.
Also, ignition could be characterized as a "baby"-step as to learning how the stuff works. Also, that would be out and running in about a weekend (not counting in Albert Trout, don't know what he's been up to with MS :lol: )... Ohh well, you go about doing what you see fit, it's all good, clean, wholesome family entertainment you can trust. :cheesy:
Looking forward to seeing your progress... Any help needed, give me a shout...
Maybe I should go about authoring a thread that covers MS on C900's... Might be a nice one...
Daniel.

philb
19th September 2007, 02:10 PM
That would be great Daniel. I can see theres a megasquirt sticky on saablink.net, and the guy who started the thread is now having problems with the fuel pump running full time. I presume thats just a wiring problem..

IronJoe
19th September 2007, 02:12 PM
Let me rephrase: my AFR is getting close to 14:1 on boost, and my first priority is to get the car to a safe air-fuel ratio. I'm not discounting ignition.

Squaab99t
19th September 2007, 04:30 PM
Let me rephrase: my AFR is getting close to 14:1 on boost, and my first priority is to get the car to a safe air-fuel ratio. I'm not discounting ignition.
I can feel your reservations incorping the full control. I know when I hacked into mine I was on the nervious side. I thought about doing a seperate wire bundle, but I thought if you hack into the one I have there is no turning back. I've had idle issues for the longest time, and I tried to adjust the fuel and accel enrichment for over a year. Nerver ran quite right until I started tweeking the ign timing at idle. What a difference, but I still have the great torque at 2500 because you can run 14 degrees at 500- 900 rpm and bump it to 28 degrees at 2500. I'm not running the homebrew MS, but Engine Management System out of Au. The fuel pump shuts off after 4 secs if the ECU does not "hear" the crank turning over. Good luck, it is a bit of work, but well worth it.
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/8860-ECU

SteveMcqueen
20th September 2007, 01:12 AM
This is all well and good, but seriously. Dump this stuff in the SPG, throw in a rollcage and a racing seat, and be a shoe in for the coolest 900 ever created. :cheesy::cheesy:

COMMONNNN!

saabismi
27th September 2007, 11:25 AM
Yo yo yo - don't be hatin'! ;) Seriously though, I agree with the idea of it being painted flat or satin. (Just had to put in my $0.02) :cool:im not hatin just told my opinion:)

But that decor panel Looks just:cool:

ShadowWorks
4th October 2007, 03:39 PM
Having a UK plate in the Americas gets mega looks, you should totally do it;)

IronJoe
4th October 2007, 04:16 PM
Having a UK plate in the Americas gets mega traffic tickets from the local fuzz, you should totally do it;)

Fix'd it for ya

nnamssorxela
4th October 2007, 05:14 PM
That's crazy, I could stick a living small child on the front of my car stamped with "this car has no catalytic converter" and the only thing the cops would ask me is what kind of glue I used that worked so good...

fyi my car has a cat : )

99sven
5th October 2007, 02:21 AM
I giggled with delight the first time I drove my 16vt with standalone. You can't believe what good timing will give you over the entire power band. As Shawn at Scanwest explained, "people don't get it, timing is everything". He was referring to how all the customers want more boost , modified APC and bigger turbo and fuel (rrfpr) thinking that that is the end all for performance. Your right, you need to lower your A/F, but you have to do timing as well!!!

ShadowWorks
6th October 2007, 12:45 AM
Fix'd it for ya

Thats strange, I could have sworn I saw a few in the US with UK plates?

The UK plate is easy to read at a distance compared to the squished US plates.

88-16Tconv
6th October 2007, 01:34 AM
What modifications need to be made to the ignition system before it is ready for MS?

Saabeh
6th October 2007, 01:05 PM
Thats strange, I could have sworn I saw a few in the US with UK plates? The UK plate is easy to read at a distance compared to the squished US plates.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing... Hmmm... I like when people cannot read my plate.

IronJoe
15th October 2007, 01:35 PM
Picked up a saab fuel rail cover from RM, got here this weekend. Beautiful piece, very tricky to install (PITA). I got a ways into it and decided to wait for a warmer day to put it on, as I didn't want to risk cracking the plastic.

Here's what they look like for those of you who don't know. (From todd c's now-departed 900)
http://www.nysoc.com/albums/album47/P0003235_Fuel_Pressure_Regulator.sized.jpg

http://www.nysoc.com/albums/album47/P0003238_Intake_Manifold.sized.jpg

Anyway, I gave the grey ghost some attention, installed a good used AMM. Idles much smoother now. Haven't tried to adjust to get the voltage swing yet. Unfortunately, I'm hearing a growling from the rear of the engine... Seems like one of the pully bearings is going out, as the noise is right by the belts.

In other news, I think paulh is getting done with my LH 2 MS connector. Fun times. Watch this space for more.

Honkey
15th October 2007, 01:42 PM
Joe... ummm when did barbie get her hands on your engine bay??? Pink...???

Surely its red and you just took those pictures in horrible lighting right?

TheRedBaron
15th October 2007, 01:45 PM
Those pictures are making me see spots.

IronJoe
15th October 2007, 02:01 PM
Joe... ummm when did barbie get her hands on your engine bay??? Pink...???

Surely its red and you just took those pictures in horrible lighting right?

Here's what they look like for those of you who don't know. (From todd c's now-departed 900)

:( :o :confused:

Those are pics from jon1's nysoc gallery. His camera was famous(infamous?) for producing pinkish-reds.

Honkey
15th October 2007, 03:22 PM
:( :o :confused:

Those are pics from jon1's nysoc gallery. His camera was famous(infamous?) for producing pinkish-reds.

lol I missed that line

Great to hear the grey ghost hasn't become the pastel pink ghost :p

IronJoe
9th November 2007, 01:31 AM
I wonder how well a 3.5" thick intercooler will fit in a c900.

hmmmmm.

Honkey
9th November 2007, 10:46 AM
I wonder how well a 3.5" thick intercooler will fit in a c900.

hmmmmm.

Big ***** intercooler... Do It! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4)

IronJoe
14th November 2007, 01:39 PM
New turbo. Again.

I was fairly unimpressed how I so easily managed to hit the limits of efficient power on the turbonetics unit... Just too small. The .48 exhaust housing was killing me.

So a new unit is currently being built. Specs and pics once it arrives, until then it's a mystery :cheesy:

philb
14th November 2007, 02:02 PM
send me the old one? :cheesy:

IronJoe
14th November 2007, 02:04 PM
I would phil but remember this has the funky 5-bolt exhaust housing (not a ford 5-bolt). I guess you could always swap housings with your stock turbo and use it.

I couldn't do that because my stock exhaust housing was cracked.

philb
14th November 2007, 02:23 PM
I wonder how much the shipping would be.. I'm prepared to purchase it ok.

IronJoe
18th November 2007, 05:35 PM
Well I'd LOVE to edit my first page to include the number of cool new parts that are coming my way, but alas - My edit button is gone.

Mods if you're reading, please update the time limit for editing previous posts. Or else I'm afraid users will have to wade through page after page of our project threads looking for information. They'll probably get bored and post a new, redundant thread. And we don't want that, do we?

Give us back the power. See my avatar.

woywitka
18th November 2007, 09:02 PM
Well I'd LOVE to edit my first page to include the number of cool new parts that are coming my way, but alas - My edit button is gone.

Mods if you're reading, please update the time limit for editing previous posts. Or else I'm afraid users will have to wade through page after page of our project threads looking for information. They'll probably get bored and post a new, redundant thread. And we don't want that, do we?

Give us back the power. See my avatar.

fight for the cause!

I can understand the importance. Should we sport the avatar in support?

Can the mods do anything?

Matthew
18th November 2007, 09:16 PM

AFAIK the power was never taken away. I don't know why you have lost the power to edit posts. If it's a change to the configuration of the forum software then that'll be possible only through an admin account (which I don't have). You'd have to PM or email Paul or Simon.

In the meantime I'll PM you the text of the first post on your project thread, you PM me the amendments and I'll do the edit. Not ideal at all, but it gets the job done until the root problem is fixed.

fight for the cause!
I can understand the importance. Should we sport the avatar in support?
That's not really going to help, is it? :roll: