ECU and MBC [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: ECU and MBC

sheeps41
13th September 2006, 11:09 PM
I was looking at manual boost controllers when i first bought my car. After that I began looking at the Nordic Stage 2 ECU and was wondering if the ECU acted as a boost controller and whether or not a boost controller would make a difference at all. thanks

SPATL
13th September 2006, 11:19 PM
Best to do one or the other. Some run a SMBC with a staged ECU for better spool up in lower gears, but usually a staged ecu alone will give you what you're looking for. Totally depends on your long term plans for the car. A MBC bypasses the stock BPC and therefore you don't get the full benefit of a staged ecu that you spent all that money on.

WaSaabiPSI
13th September 2006, 11:57 PM
hey spatl,

Whats the long term effects on running a SMBC with a tuned ECU? i was thinking about running one, but set really low. i miss the quick spool of the MBC, but love how the boost holds steady with a tune. thanks

stevehayes01
14th September 2006, 02:50 AM
hey spatl,

Whats the long term effects on running a SMBC with a tuned ECU? i was thinking about running one, but set really low. i miss the quick spool of the MBC, but love how the boost holds steady with a tune. thanks

I dont think this has really been tested allot since most people take them out as soon as they stage ecu's.

SPATL
14th September 2006, 09:36 AM
hey spatl,

Steve is correct. Not many folks do this. IMS on this BB has run one in the past with his staged ECU. Maybe he can chime in. Very little ill effects cince the SMBC is set very low and targets bringing on the turbo a little quicker. Once pressure is reached, the ECU takes over for good.

bkrell
14th September 2006, 05:25 PM
Performance topic!;)

WaSaabiPSI
14th September 2006, 07:42 PM
Do i set up a smbc just like a mbc? i think i'll start trying it out. thanks

stevehayes01
14th September 2006, 10:26 PM
THe SMBC is not used to raise the boost pressure like a MBC. THe SMBC is plumbed between the turbo line and the BPC to make a closed circuit between them.

You only need to raise boost until you reach the normal max boost level in your normal 3rd-5th gear. You will know very quickly when you go to far as you will hit fuel cut and go into Limp Home Mode. Also make sure you plug the bleed off on the MBC that you use.

sheeps41
14th September 2006, 10:42 PM
What is a SMBC, and what is the difference between a MBC and a SMBC.

stevehayes01
15th September 2006, 02:52 AM
Have a read through this thread.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80442&page=2&pp=20