Forward facing Gatsos [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Forward facing Gatsos

Matthew
26th March 2003, 05:18 AM
On the way home at 1230 last night, I was flashed doing about 65MPH in a 50MPH zone by a Gatso camera that was facing the direction of traffic. I was under the impression that Gatsos were allowed to flash only the rear of a passing car, not the front (and hence flash into the driver's eyes).

Anyone else had this?

TFatC
26th March 2003, 05:24 AM
I had one go off on me on the A1 when overtaking a B*W in the MR2. I was doing well over the ton and thought "Ooops" (or words to that effect). :cheesy:

Never heard anything though. I was speaking about this subject with a guy over here (as I have just bought a Snooper 6R Neo) and the result was undecided if they could prosecute you from this. A look at the website www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk may clarify matters.

adman
26th March 2003, 05:36 AM
I thought those where tracking cameras, but they wouldn't flash would they? not sure but we have them quite a lot in the town.

Paco
26th March 2003, 05:53 AM
Gatso's often go off when you drive towards them, but don't worry, I think its a technical problem, they can't judge your speed that way, you won't hear anything.

Mark P
26th March 2003, 05:54 AM
On the way home at 1230 last night, I was flashed doing about 65MPH in a 50MPH zone by a Gatso camera that was facing the direction of traffic. I was under the impression that Gatsos were allowed to flash only the rear of a passing car, not the front (and hence flash into the driver's eyes).

Anyone else had this?

Some speed ameras are designed to be used front facing :o

The Truvelo uses an infra red flash (does not distract the driver). The tend to use piezo strip (a series of close white lines just in front of the unit) but can also use radar.

Be careful, as it takes a pic of the driver to (eliminates getting someone to take the rap for you etc)

Alex
26th March 2003, 06:08 AM
Some Gatso's do seem to go off into oncoming traffic by mistake.

However, in the Derby area there are certainly some Gatsos which, judging from the markings on the road, cover both directions of traffic from the one orientation.

Paco
26th March 2003, 06:10 AM
Hmm I know ome can be rotated on their pole, but I don't think any Gatsos can do forward facing detection.

Those that can be rotated obviously have markings either side.

I think the fixed ones have markings on both sides of the road to catch overtaking drivers?

Johann F
26th March 2003, 06:25 AM
Look on the speedtrap bible site and the ABD site for details but I think Gatso's can pick up an object via their radar which is speeding in either direction but can only take a picture in one direction - did it flash twice? - it needs 2 pics to get a speed fix.

Abbott 900
26th March 2003, 06:50 AM
Hmm I know ome can be rotated on their pole, but I don't think any Gatsos can do forward facing detection.

Those that can be rotated obviously have markings either side.

I think the fixed ones have markings on both sides of the road to catch overtaking drivers?

Yup, we've got 3 round our way that have markings on both sides of the road, and the camera sits in the island in the middle of the road, and every couple of weeks they just spin the camera round to face the other way. But they definately do not take the photos of on coming cars...

Johann F
26th March 2003, 07:06 AM
Upon further thought - a gatso that flashed infront of a car could dazzle a driver and therefore it is unlikely it would get approval for use on the road. This alone means you are in the clear.

amwebst
26th March 2003, 07:21 AM
All the new cameras here in Sheffield are truvelo, facing you. Whats even worse is that they work using floor sensor and not radar. :nono;

Makes my radar detector useless :evil: $%$^$!

Matthew
26th March 2003, 07:34 AM
I know that Truvelos and the like are designed to operate face-on, but AFAIK Gatsos only operate(d) ar5e-end. The road has timing marks on both carriageways, but the camera is mounted on the verge-side of the carriageway that was opposite me. I don't know if they've done this to easily swap the camera around to cover the other carriageway or what.

Unfortunately, the camera did indeed flash twice.

Upon further thought - a Gatso that flashed infront of a car could dazzle a driver and therefore it is unlikely it would get approval for use on the road. This alone means you are in the clear.

Which was exactly my thinking, hence a deliberate 65MPH in a 50MPH zone even with the Gatso. In the dead of night, blackness all around, two bright flashes don't half startle a driver. Any they call these safety devices?!

Seems these evil bl00dy devices netted the Government 2M in fines from North Wales alone (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2875295.stm). And they don't even put 'em on the worst roads - just where revenue can be maximised (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2206467.stm).

TFatC
26th March 2003, 08:20 AM
two bright flashes don't half startle a driver. Any they call these safety devices?!

The one across the road from my workshop was squashed when a lorry was blown over on to it during gales. The poor lorry driver was impaled by the camera and killed, they reckon he would have walked away but for the camera.

It has not been replaced and the road was just resurfaced and the lines have not been renewed. Cost a man his life to get rid of a SAFETY device, located on a section of dual carriageway that to my knowledge has not had an accident in over 20 years apart from this one. :evil: :evil:

Alex
26th March 2003, 08:49 AM
The two pictures taken by a Gatso are to prove that you are moving and to give a backup to the speed. Truvelo only take 1 photo as you have to pass over both sensors.

Some of the cameras round Derby have the white markings on both sides of the carriageway and both of them are on the same side of the camera, ie north and south bound sides both have the markings to the North of the camera.

Stuart
26th March 2003, 08:59 AM
I used to regularly head north up the A1 and there used to be a forward facing camera in the central reservation at the northern edge of Sandy in Beds., with three closely spaced white lines across either carriageway, just before the national speed limit signs :evil: (is it still there?). This used to be regularly turned around.

IIRC the A1 through Sandy is a 40mph limit (correct me if I'm wrong) - going through this section one Saturday lunchtime at around 50ish the missus said "speed camera signs - watch out" to which my reply was "I've never ever seen this forward facing one go off"...

Cue me leaning over the steering wheel flicking the V's at said forward facing camera - FLASH...

Much hilarity from the missus and a red face from me - would've made a good picture but never heard anything further..

Johann F
26th March 2003, 09:18 AM
I've passed these A1 cameras (forward facing) before - I'm sure they have an infra red flash though (red round window)- most of the energy is invisible to the naked eye and hence not a potential danger.

Matthew
26th March 2003, 10:58 AM
The forward-facing circular-lens cameras are Truvelos. AFAIK all Gatsos have clear (not red) rectangular lenses.

Truvelos:
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/truv1.jpg
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/truv2.jpg
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/truv3.jpg

john-w
26th March 2003, 12:14 PM
Found this on the net!!

TRUVELO - www.truvelouk.com

Popularity On UK Roads : 2/10

How to Protect Yourself : GPS Speed Camera Detection System only.

How They Work : A forward facing camera, designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle, allowing the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well to aid prosecution.

Sensors in the road calculate the speed and the Infra red camera captures the car registration number and driver picture without a flash. This system offers evidence as to the identity of the driver at the time of the offence.

No flash it ommitted as the system uses Infra Red Light.

Limitations : Once they run out of film they become inactive. Do not work on Motorbikes with no front registration plate.

Stuart
26th March 2003, 12:49 PM
I've passed these A1 cameras (forward facing) before - I'm sure they have an infra red flash though (red round window)- most of the energy is invisible to the naked eye and hence not a potential danger.

Johann

Believe me, this one definitely flashed at me...! That's what set the missus off... :oops:

Johann F
26th March 2003, 01:08 PM
Stuart, I've just looked at the website John-W posted - it seems that they can be fitted with a 'false flash' as a deterant/ speed counter - I didn't read it too carefully though - check it out.

Munki
26th March 2003, 01:29 PM
Same happened to me in Poole a few years back...flashed by a forward facing Gatso and I never heard anything more.

Alex
26th March 2003, 01:53 PM
When are cameras going to be made illegal because they discriminate against car drivers. Forward facing ones (Truvelo, Specs) cannot catch motorcycles.

Also cameras cannot distiguish between vehicles and HGVs have a lower permitted speed limit on A roads on cars, yet a camera will allow an HGV past at well over its permitted speed without triggering.

jetman
26th March 2003, 08:16 PM
When I lived in Vancouver, BC, they had photo radar and then it was abolished. But a lot of people were getting off when they went to court to fight it and had the service records for the cameras entered as evidence and it was found that they were never serviced when and as often as they were supposed to be. So there was no accounting for "if" they were functioning properly :wink:
Maybe this can help someone.

20Ted
26th March 2003, 08:45 PM
Ewwww - photo radar?!?!?! Heard of it - never seem it (gladly). I did get caught in LA by one of the "running a red light cameras". Kind of embarrasing as you are driving through town and the intersection lights up like a Christmas tree - and you are the only car in the intersection :oops: !!

john-w
27th March 2003, 08:34 AM
Well I got some info from somebody I know at Essex police, there are forward facing Gatso's :roll: :roll:

Jo K
27th March 2003, 04:56 PM
Good Lord!

Rant...

We have both fixed and mobile speed cameras here. Fixed cameras may or may not have a camera in the box, and point forwards or backwards. I'm not sure where they work both ways or whether they target different sides of the road.

Mobile cameras face the traffic. They sit in unmarked white estate cars. They used to have the boot raised (dead giveaway) but now they don't have to. Recently the police was given permission to use them in other types of vehicles, including those with tinted windows. Now they have little red vans parked on the side of the road, with tinted windows, collecting revenue. Half the time you'd never know they're there.

They 'warn' you by putting permanent signs up indicating that you are in a 'speed camera area'. These signs seem to be everywhere. Indeed, I'm not sure where ISN'T a speed camera area.

To make it worse, the road system here is quite 'small', in that everybody tends to travel on the one or two main roads. So on a trip from one end of the country to the other there is, more or less, one road you can take if you want to go the quickest route. Hence it is easy to be caught speeding...

One good thing is that you only get a fine for speed cameras, no demerit points on the licence. That said, the fines can be $$.

The open road speed limit here is 100kph, with a margin of error for cameras of about +10kph (unreliable).

Makes for fun driving :cry:

Rant over.

Big Nev
27th March 2003, 06:56 PM
Also cameras cannot distiguish between vehicles and HGVs have a lower permitted speed limit on A roads on cars, yet a camera will allow an HGV past at well over its permitted speed without triggering.

True,us little truckers are limited to 50mph on single carriageway roadsof the national speed limit,but,the majority of Gatsos are on roads of 30,40,or50mph limits so in theory Gatso should be triggered

Paco
28th March 2003, 06:16 AM
Does anyone know if those mobile cameras can photograph you from behind, ie on the other side of the road, going away from them?

Think I've been done by one near Warminster :evil: Previous owner of the car conacted me (as I forgot to register it :oops: ) and said he had an NOIP thru :evil:

Not what I need right now.

Matthew
28th March 2003, 06:31 AM
Two NOIPs?! Bad luck Paco, I really hope everything works out okay for you.

TFatC
28th March 2003, 06:36 AM
Paco

I think it is time you invested in a decent camera detection system (or a stroker in which case you will not be going fast enough to worry!). I have just bought a snooper 6r neo for 380 quid but do not know what it is like as it is at home awaiting my return. Has the previous owner told them your details or could your car have had "another" owner between him and you?

Paco
28th March 2003, 06:45 AM
I suspect I've been rumbled, but Mrs Paco has offered to "take the grenade" as her license is clean. We'll try the "complete but don't sign" trick when the NOIP comes through too :roll:

Do the detectors see the mobile vans? I thought they were GPS udated fixed sites only, and not radar detectors.

A stroker or 99 had crossed my mind..... :cheesy: but I do 25k a year :o

Maybe I'll just change jobs :cheesy:

Matthew
28th March 2003, 06:58 AM
Do the detectors see the mobile vans? I thought they were GPS udated fixed sites only, and not radar detectors.

A reliable source (Alex :cheesy:) tells me that the Road Angel detects the mobile (radar) cameras, and also the laser cameras too!

Paco
28th March 2003, 07:32 AM
:o Right! I'll get me one of those a bit pronto. Nothing like bolting the gate etc etc :cheesy:

Alex
28th March 2003, 07:55 AM
Road Angel doesn't do radar, however most mobile traps these days, including the safety vans are all laser based. Plus the police will normally publish the locations of mobile sites and these will be included in the Road Angel database.

Road Angel also has a GPS speedo so you will know exactly how fast you were going!

philo
28th March 2003, 08:20 AM
With Road Angel, how much for a decent model and can you recommend any particular supplier :-??

Munki
28th March 2003, 08:49 AM
Have a look here (http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/secure-online-shop.htm) for the Road Angel.

Matthew
28th March 2003, 09:05 AM
Road Angel doesn't do radar

Whoops... sorry for misquoting you (I blame it on ever increasing senior moments! :wink:)

Alex
28th March 2003, 09:25 AM
Networx automotive (cannot remember the site, but advertise in the Association of British Drivers and Evo) will do the laser Road Angel with a free 2nd years connection to the database for 399.

john-w
28th March 2003, 10:32 AM
I have the origin blue i same as the road angel I found them cheap at Costco 250 + vat they retail on their site for about 380ish!!

Anybody want one? let me know as I have a membership!!

The new snooper is a combind unit gps & laser detector, but you have to put up with all the false alarms from other sources, and I think if a laser was pointed at you, by the time it was detected, it would be too late anyway!!

TFatC
28th March 2003, 11:31 AM
Yes, the snooper is a combined unit which is why I bought it. I would rather have a few false alarms than a NIP! THe snooper also picks up cameras up to about 3-400m in addition to the GPS database so should be enough to slow down.

RRP of a snooper is 495, www.uk-radar-detectors.co.uk offer them at 445. My brother heard of a club who put in a mass order for them from this company at 380, phoned them up and they reluctantly agreed to supply us with 2 on the back of the club order :cheesy:

My brother reckons it is brilliant (he lives in Crawley and travels the M25 almost daily) but I have got to wait another 2 weeks to find out. Sob. :cry:

Matthew
27th September 2004, 11:17 AM
The truth on forward-facing Gatsos?
Gatsos can be switched between towards, away or bidirectional modes (see the red knob in the picture below). Most are "rear-facing" so they only catch you moving away from them. However, it may be that this unit has been misconfigured. It probably won't have had you anyway, you'd be too far past it by the time it triggers.
http://www.xboxrepair.plus.com/gatso/livegatso-front.jpg