Oil Change: Syn or Reg? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Oil Change: Syn or Reg?

turbosb
24th March 2003, 02:41 PM
Just wanted to know what you all recommended. I am changing the oil tomorrow in my 1995 900se . I recently bought it (april 02) and I am sure the previous owner put regular oil in it. I have been doing the same but recently I upgraded my ECU to an Abbott unit (along with the new wastegate) and have done the mods listed on ERP's site as well as a BOV and a custom ITG Cold air intake. It has 59k on the odometer. So the question is should I start going synthetic? I have heard many people swear by synthetics, at the same time I have also heard people say that it just allows you to go a little longer w/out changing than reg oil. I have also heard an "old wives tale" that when switching to synthetic you need to do it gradually, ie mixing reg and synthetic until you ween reg off. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kyle

jpgibson
24th March 2003, 03:56 PM
I dont want to appear to be in favour of one site over another ( especially as I 'found' ERPs site here) , but look on saabnet.com and do a search-> there are hundredes of posts re synth v 'dino'.A common problem appears to be an increase in the number of oil leaks.Im happy using semi synthetic .I think the most important thing is changing the oil/filter every 5000 km and not the 15000 Saab Australia recommend-this relates to the turbo cars.
good luck
jonathan

SaxyWeed
24th March 2003, 04:06 PM
I switched to synthetic last oil change and after about 2500 miles I can say that it runs much smoother. The most noticeable part is engine brakeing. I used to be able to slow down a good bit by downshifting in my automatic, but now when I do it there is minimal effect. One other thing that I'm not sure if its related to the oil or not but the leak on my valve cover gasket that I've been meaning to replace got worse in the last month or so. I used mobil 1 synthetic.

20Ted
24th March 2003, 07:13 PM
I just got my car in January ('98 SE turbo conv.) and it had 94K on the odo.

The first things I did were to change the air filter and change the oil and filter. I'll use a semi-synthetic for a while, then switch to a full synthetic. I'm not really sure it makes any difference as I change the oil & filter every 3K, but it makes me feel better!

Plus, it has to give an extra 2 or 3 hp - :cheesy: - not quite as many hp as my stickers!!! (just kidding!)

davy913
24th March 2003, 11:14 PM
what weight and viscocity are you guys running? i used to run mobil 1 super syn 5w-30 in my mk4 gti, ran wonerfully

20Ted
24th March 2003, 11:22 PM
5W-30 - I ran it in my 1.8T GTI...