Short Throw Shifter [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Short Throw Shifter

Felbie
21st March 2003, 04:30 PM
The throw on my 99 viggen is extremely long, im used to cars with short shifters, is anything made in that sense to shorten the throw from gear to gear? and also how much power can the transmission handle?

SaxyWeed
21st March 2003, 06:44 PM
Temporary solution.. borrow someones manual tranny truck, better yet an old manual moving van, for a few weeks and when you get back in your Saab its gonna feel a whole lot shorter. But really I think i've seen a few people on that have short shifters on their Saabs. I believe that they're prettymuch universal so you can just get something from hurst or whoever and just throw it in.

pade900
22nd March 2003, 09:53 AM
I think that B&G (? not sure about the name) has a short throw shifter for the 9-3...

03_Saab 9-3
22nd March 2003, 11:16 PM
I think maybe you are referring to B&M ? I checked their site didn't see Saab listed but they have a bunch of Universal applications may be worth sending them an email.

http://www.bmracing.com

8valvegrowl
28th April 2003, 10:50 PM
Quaife Racing in the UK sells a shifter replacement kit for the F25 gearbox. This is listed under Opel or Vauxhall I think, but the Saab 9-3 (not sport sedan) uses the F25 gearbox. I know the quaife has beefed up bushings and I imagine a shorter, more precise throw. I don't know what it runs for though (knowing Quaife, it ain't cheap).

http://www.quaife.co.uk/index2.htm

Search in their catalog, they list a saab gearlever assembly

Saab4Life
29th April 2003, 12:44 AM
i also have been searching for a shorter throw, because it just feels so slow and long.. and plus my turbo lag makes it bad enough already :-?

Tweek's Turbos
29th April 2003, 04:23 PM
I know B&M makes a short throw for the Vauxhall Calibra? I think, and Maybe it has the same tranny? F25? I'll wait till somebody else trys it first or I win the lotery.

8valvegrowl
29th April 2003, 05:39 PM
According to Quaife, the Calibra also uses the F25 gearbox, so I don't see why the B&M short shifter wouldn't work. Can any of you blokes on the other side of the pond confirm what the calibra uses?

Saab4Life
29th April 2003, 08:54 PM
but what would u do about the 'lifting up on the shiftknob to get into reverse'? that is my only holdback really.. and the fact that i havent heard of anyone trying it out yet, and like tweek i dont have money i can just throw around

Felbie
30th April 2003, 01:00 AM
i know someone makes one, its 250 dollars plus like a core charge until you send them your shifter, apparently helps a lot, im trying to find it, i think www.saabsavior.com?im very interested but i dun think this will increase times and i wont worry about it until i do exhaust and ecm

turbosb
30th April 2003, 03:06 AM
To Saab4life: The "lifting up on the shiftknob to get into reverse" isn't necessary and can easily be removed. I put a momo shift k^nob and boot in my 95 900se and removed the reverse lifter very easily. (I have a distant pic if anyone would be interested in seeing it.)

To Felbie: I am pretty sure that short shift kit is for the classic 900 and not for the ng900 & 9-3 but I could be proven wrong, just my 2 cents! :wink:

Felbie
30th April 2003, 11:54 AM
that one is, the 93 one is new and I e-mailed him about it, same price and everything, theres 100 dollar core charge that he doesnt charge for 30 days, like if u dont return your shifter, just e-mail the site for the info, the guy atleast told me it was for a 93 also