Low down grunt [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Low down grunt

Gordy
18th March 2003, 05:28 AM
When I was down on the Lakes run I noticed that Mpen's Aero seemed to be pulling away from rest much quicker than mine. (Mpen has a sports air filter and 3" exhaust system). My car has some serious Abbott work - Intercooler, ECU, Air filter,gas flowed cylinder head,ss exhaust (without downpipe), recirculating dump valve). I'm wondering if, by keeping my cat in place, I'm strangling the engine low down.

Can anyone suggest what options I have to improve low down performance.

Alanb
18th March 2003, 05:56 AM
Gordy,

The 3 inch downpipe made a big difference for me. Removing the cat seemed to make a difference at the top end rather than the bottom end. Go for the 3 inch!

Alanb

PS If you really want low end grunt, go for the Dawes MBC. This allows very early spool up. However, it overrides APC functions and is thus considered risky.

mpen
18th March 2003, 06:18 AM
Gordy

Changing the downpipe and removing the cat made a big difference to my turbo spool up, I would imagine you will see a big difference, The breathing of an engine is one of the most important parts of tuning.

Gordy
18th March 2003, 08:26 AM
OK I'm seeing a definite pattern here. I have an Abbott downpipe in my boot so I guess I should think about installing it (it was removed 2 days after I got the car back from Abbott because the car failed it's MOT on emissions). I've had a look at Billj's site where he has installed the JT system, should the same instructions apply for the Abbott downpipe? Also, will I need to adjust the base boost pressure afterwards as he had to do?

Alanb
18th March 2003, 11:18 AM
JT is an easy fit but will it match up to your existing cat/middle section? You will need a reducer or similar I suspect.

I didn't need to adjust base boost but it's obviosuly wise to check.

Alanb

mpen
18th March 2003, 12:02 PM
The ECU will adapt over time or you can pull the fuse and do a few adaptation runs, every year at MOT time swap the pipes back.

You will see a big difference and it will make you smile even more :cheesy:

Good luck
Mark