Are they as expensive to maintain as before???? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Are they as expensive to maintain as before????

benl
05-08-06, 10:40 AM
Hi there I'm looking at buying a 95 model turbo 9000 2.3L

About 8 years ago we had a '90 model 9000 turbo (2.0L) which cost us about $15k over a 18-20 month period!!

Everything from

auto gearbox ~$4k
central locking
cruise control
interior fan stopped (big job to get at)
Discs (Rotors) twice I believe
and many other things
thermostat as it overheated once etc

I have also heard a few others that complain aswell.

Everything was so expensive at the time.

Are the 95 models any better for reliability and cost of wonership>???

Are the manual transmissions reliable?

Can you turn the interior fan to the off position (In the old model you couldn't).

Jap cars seem to be a lot more trouble free but just wondering what other peoples opinions are?

Thanks a lot

benl
05-08-06, 11:30 AM
I should add Air con sytem problems to that also..

benl
05-08-06, 12:06 PM
Doing a bit of reading here reveals a lfew people having problems with head gaskets..

Is this a common problem..

BigBadWolf
05-08-06, 12:13 PM
Having owned a 94 9000CDE, it was not the best Saab(of the seven I have owned) in terms of reliability. If you are willing to replace the belt tensioner, timing chain, pulleys and all hoses, then you will probably not have any breakdown. Also, the Oxygen sensor should be replaced.

As far as parts, if you can get them and do the work yourself, you will probably put $1000.00 in it the first year. If you have a shop of dealer do it, the plan on $3000.00

The 9000 needs preventive maintenance to ensure dependability.

Last_straw
05-08-06, 03:03 PM
Depends on how the car has been treated in its lifetime, how you treat it and luck. That sounded a pretty bad chain of events with the previous car, I'd say taken as a whole the 9k is cheaper to run than many of its rivals, and is capable of huge milages. I bought a 95 aero 6 months ago and have put 10k miles on it, the only maintenance expense so far has been to replace tyres and a faulty APC solonoid, which I got from a scrap car for 30. I'm gradually replacing bushings and the AC needs regassing (I hope thats all it is ;)).

benl
12-08-06, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

But I thought a timing chain should last >250k kms ...unless you hear it rattling et you would leave it.

Does the CSE always have ABS?

Last_straw
12-08-06, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

But I thought a timing chain should last >250k kms ...unless you hear it rattling et you would leave it.

Does the CSE always have ABS?

Your right about the timing chain,
I would think the CSE does have ABS since its the higher specced model, plus I think all turbos had ABS from the 90's on, but I could be wrong, you will see when you turn the ignition 1 position if the ABS light in the insturment binnacle, next to brake warning light, goes on the car has it.

benl
12-08-06, 07:18 AM
THanks for the reply.

I'll check the ABS out. But do you have trouble with traction in yours?

Are the 5spds fairly robust.

What do youthink could be the worst case you have to spend per year on maintenancce.

Are parts expensive?

Last_straw
12-08-06, 07:56 AM
But do you have trouble with traction in yours?

I have TCS and ocassionally the light comes on in the wet, but generally other than some torque steer its good, you learn to modulate your use of the accelerator depending on what the conditions / car is telling you. When I first got a Saab turbo I kept spinning the front wheels for the fun of making squealing noises until I realised how quickly you can use up a tyre ;oops:

Are the 5spds fairly robust.

They are providing you don't increase the power of the engine too much, maybe change the oil in the gearbox and keep an eye on your engine mountings, poly gearbox mount can help preserve them, and of course how smoothly you / previous owners drive the car.
If something goes worng with your APC / wastegate / turbo and you hit fuel cut out a lot, i.e don't get it fixed soon then this can put a lot of strain on the gearbox, full power to no power repeatedly.
Boxman, the moderator, knows way more than me about this.

What do you think could be the worst case you have to spend per year on maintenance.

It all depends as you know what needs doing, servicing isn't expensive, and as you listed in your origional post if everything goes wrong together its a nightmare.

Are parts expensive?
Check out this sites sponser PartsForSaabs.com for the prices for many service and wear items, dealers tend to charge a bit more, and bodywork items like wing mirrors / headlights aren't cheap. Otherwise I think Saabs compares favourably with BMW, MB, Ovlov etc.

benl
12-08-06, 10:01 AM
Thanks a lot last straw.

Are things like the engine and gearbox mounts something that fail a lot?

having a lok at the link the parts seem ok price...

Do brake calipers need to be overhauled often?? If so is it easy to do yourself and is the kit expensive??