Oh dear, oh dear, old car alert! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Oh dear, oh dear, old car alert!

cassonian
28th July 2006, 07:54 PM
Well I couldn't really sit and watch about 14 old and unusual Saabs get auctioned off on the dreaded Ebay without getting the urge to press some buttons? :roll:

The orange '74 99, 50, a bargain, but I've had 2 old 99's now. The '86 T16 900 looked fantastic and I just about stopped myself!

But I could hold out no longer. I've gone and done it again..............

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190012317962&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

.......... never had one, always wanted one and it's older than me! :o

Let's hope it's in better nick!

What have I done, again? :confused:

rob beard
28th July 2006, 08:06 PM
Your not going to the station in it tomorrow are you. I looked at that car also but I have my eye on a certain Cherry Red 99, T-cut 'N' wax first I reckon and spray the wheels

Rob

cassonian
28th July 2006, 08:23 PM
Your not going to the station in it tomorrow are you. I looked at that car also but I have my eye on a certain Cherry Red 99, T-cut 'N' wax first I reckon and spray the wheels

Rob

Yeh, then find out how the hell the engine works? What is a 2 stoke? I have to go to Stoke if I get the train from Derby to Manchester? ;)

This should mean that I am back to floorpans, rear shocker mounts etc etc.... !

I do so love to 96 though, I have had 5 and really missed my last one. If I can get this one in to some sort of shape I will be dead chuffed.

I want to go get it now, but sadly SOC and work means later next week. Really looking forward to those clouds of smoke annoying the neighbours each morning! :cool:

GOLFHUNTER
29th July 2006, 11:41 AM
WWwooww , nice little 96 .Hope you did the right choice : the Heart's choice is always a good one .Tell us your first impressions when you'll pick it up ;)

Regards Jeff

DrewBedelph
29th July 2006, 12:22 PM
Well done, and welcome back to the wonderful world of 96 ownership! :cool: I could always relent and let you have #104 back, if you ask nicely! :cheesy:

I've been keeping an eye on the 'barn' auction over the last week, wondering how nicely that grey 95 would compliment my existing fleet of old bangers....... or maybe the white stroker..... I put it to our local Saab club that we should organise a fly-to-the-Uk-and-attempt-to-drive-back-to-Australia event in Paris-Dakar style :o, and even had a few interested people willing (ie. insane enough) to accept the challenge :cool: I could see it now........ flying across the African desert in a moss-covered 95 doing 50mph, loaded to the hilt with spares and dodging the occasional warthog :confused: Maybe one day........

Considering how our Saabist lifestyles seem to have been uncannily running in parallel up 'til now, I expect that next weekend you'll be sourcing a new fuel pump, and sixteen days thereafter you'll be fiddling with the gearchange linkage beacuse 3rd and 4th don't seem to engage..... :o

Drew

cassonian
30th July 2006, 08:57 AM
I expect that next weekend you'll be sourcing a new fuel pump, and sixteen days thereafter you'll be fiddling with the gearchange linkage beacuse 3rd and 4th don't seem to engage..... :o

Drew

:lol: . You are probably so right too!

MLT96TS
30th July 2006, 04:49 PM
Congratulations on joining the ranks of the two-stroke owners I am sure you will find the car great fun :). If you need any bits or help I am not too far away from you so just give me a call.

Pete

cassonian
30th July 2006, 05:02 PM
Congratulations on joining the ranks of the two-stroke owners I am sure you will find the car great fun :). If you need any bits or help I am not too far away from you so just give me a call.

Pete

You are soooooooo going to regret that post for the rest of your life! ;)

Being serious though, thanks for the offer, Notts not far from me. I think I may need a little help with possible engine issues but no worries with the rest, it will be my 6th 96!

Probably collect next (this coming) weekend, working down in Plymouth all week so no time before then. Hoping it's not too rotten, really could do without all the welding stuff, if it's just mechanics and trim then should be good fun.

The owner has not got the original seats however so I will be in the market for some, don't know if it's still got the back one fitted? :confused:

cassonian
7th August 2006, 12:38 PM
Finally getting my first look at my new 'investment' tomorrow. I have been working down in Plymouth since last weekend so not had chance.

I am making a small diversion :roll: on the way home tomorrow to take a peek!

I've got my toffee hammer and poking device (big screwdriver) with me, lets hope I don't need to do too much investigation.

Watch this space...............! :o

cassonian
14th August 2006, 03:29 PM
Well I've still not managed to get to see the car. :evil:

We are really busy at work and I keep missing the seller! I've managed to fix myself another trip to Oxfordshire tomorrow so fingers crossed and all that!

Getting a bit impatient now. :o

cassonian
15th August 2006, 04:01 PM
Sadly there is to be no old car for me! Well not exactly yet anyway! Watch this space however as I'm not done, I think there may be other options! ;)

cassonian
20th August 2006, 08:54 AM
Bugger! My plans of the white 2 stroke on Ebay have just been scuppered, it going to my budget figure of 1150. If I had raided my penny jar I might have found an extra 20 but that would have been all!

Looked a good car too and at that price it's good value also.

Oh well, winter will be on us soon and it's not a good time to be crawling round under cars blah, blah, blah! Didn't fancy dragging it all the way back from Kent anyway. :(

Impressed myself I stuck to my budget figure as well, I often get a bit carried away in the heat of the moment!

Well it looks like I'm off to the pub tonight then, not had a beer for ages, I can afford one now (or maybe more!). :cheesy:

cassonian
28th August 2006, 08:00 AM
I've still not ruled out another old car yet this year. I don't know what to go for now though!

Originally I wanted a two stroke but I might go for an easier to maintain V4. There are a couple around at the minute and I don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle of a broken two stroke.

The 'barn auction' Le Jog pale blue one still went for 720 and it's rough. Body wise it looked pretty good but it had various mods done and needed welding (as usual) plus does the engine work? Been sat in a barn for years!