I need help....bad!!! Only key has been stolen/lost [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: I need help....bad!!! Only key has been stolen/lost

WaSaabiPSI
10-07-06, 06:16 PM
:cry: alright, well basically can SAAB cut a key by a vin number even tho i dont have the original? I have either lost my keys and totally blacked out or somebody stole my only set of house and saab key. what are my options? If the dealer can't cut by vin number then what do i have to do. i have my ecu chipped so i really hope i dont have to reset the computer to program new key and etc.

please guys, i'm so screwed

p.s.- also to make it worse my car is sitting in a parking lot in the city.... with a bunch of gauges, cd's, not to mention whats under the hood and in the trunk:o :cry:

JMarkert
10-07-06, 06:24 PM
Which part of the city :D

I'm not sure about VIN, but the answer is probably yes, the dealer can do it.

I do know that for my year, you can order keys by the little four letter code stamped the shaft of the key. I don't think they use your old key as a template, I think they just have some computer driven cutter code that tells them what to make when they type in the four letters.

Anyhow, definitely worth a call to the dealer. Although when you think about it, this is also a good way to pick up a SAAB for cheap, since you can read the VIN through the windshield :D. They'll proably want to see some documentation.

Good Luck!

radare
10-07-06, 06:41 PM
I would have the car towed to a safer location. You will have to order a replacement key from SAAB. They'll take your VIN and cut you a replacement, i'm assuming in Trollhaten. I purchased a spare 2 weeks ago. I ordered it on Thursday and had it by the following Monday. $35 for one without a light.

Oyabun
10-07-06, 07:04 PM
Any more information on how to order another key? Is there a website or do you call or go to a dealership?

WaSaabiPSI
10-07-06, 07:28 PM
does my key have a chip in it??? if so i think you need the original key to get another key to work. thanks and i'm just think that the ng900 might use a different kind of key. anyone with experience getting a '99 and above key made, please help

nilaszewski
10-07-06, 07:48 PM
First off, where exactly is your car parked...it is only 1hr. 30min. to the brew city;)

Second, agian, I have an 01' now, but i had a key cut for the 97 a month ago, it was $35. It doesnt matter what year, they just need your vin.

You will be stuck if you had the alarm activated tho. RIght in the car manual it says that if the alarm is activated and all remotes are lost, costly computer maintance will be required.

The keys are chipped as well, per the manual agian (I was actually reading it last night). They said the key with the right cut will start the car and that you can overide the key chip but the SID will display a message to take your car in for service and the dealer has to program it.

If they have to reset the ECU, I know someone who has an 01' SE which is bone stock who would be more than willing to trade you ECU's:cheesy:

PMI
10-07-06, 08:04 PM
I don't think the centrol locking module is related to the engine control module.
Different locations in the car, different part numbers.

locking module:
Article : Electronic kit
PartNo : 4614459
Usage : 1998, TWICE, NLS-USE 5265806
Also available as exchange unit.
The parts included in the kit must be returned to Nyköping in accordance with PI Group 3 No. 4/97.
State VIN.
Programmed using a TECH 2 Scan Tool.
Order Quantity : 1

T7 ecu:
Article : Engine control module
PartNo : 4780656
Usage : B204R, M, LHD, CA, US, NLS-USE 5171863
Also available as exchange unit.
Ch. --X2060467
Ch. --X7052815
Order Quantity : 1

(wondering if a headlight would fit.... :cheesy: )

nilaszewski
10-07-06, 08:11 PM
OMG, ~140 posts a month, you are a lunatic!;)

Ive been averaging more than that tho now, even tho i joined a year ago.

On another note, another guy from wisconsin, thats crazy. How many more will there be!!!

Now why did you have to go and spoil my ecu dreams??? I think its all going to come down to weather or not your alarm is activated tho. If it is, i think its going to cost you, if not, i think your set.

Are there any good indy mechanics in milwaukee? We have a great one up here in appleton. All he does is SAAB, a real bunch of friendly guys and good prices too.

PMI
10-07-06, 08:54 PM
O'Reilly Imports in downtown Milwaukee has one very good Saab mechanic, but labor-wise they are just as expensive as the dealer... Saab is not exactly up to the typical $-Import-$ they work on.

Country Imports, formerly on Silver Spring, now located in Neosho north of Milwaukee is pretty much the place to take Saabs. They are a Saab-only indie, and people take their cars there all the way from the Chicago burbs.

There used to be a pretty active group of Saab owners in Milwaukee back in the C900 days, before they all departed for Florida or Arizona... <chuckle>

nilaszewski
10-07-06, 10:01 PM
O'Reilly Imports in downtown Milwaukee has one very good Saab mechanic, but labor-wise they are just as expensive as the dealer... Saab is not exactly up to the typical $-Import-$ they work on.

Country Imports, formerly on Silver Spring, now located in Neosho north of Milwaukee is pretty much the place to take Saabs. They are a Saab-only indie, and people take their cars there all the way from the Chicago burbs.

There used to be a pretty active group of Saab owners in Milwaukee back in the C900 days, before they all departed for Florida or Arizona... <chuckle>

The place we have here in appleton which is a saab only indy is called "The Auto Shop". Anyone ever heard of them? I have been very happy with their work so far, they are always reasonable.

On a side note, they just put a red 01' viggen 5-door with 37,000 miles on the lot! hes asking 18,995 for it tho. Looks like its in good shape, not to bad of a price i guess for a dealer. To bad i cant afford a viggen. But hey, after my SE is all tuned, there wont be a viggen that can keep up anyway!

Marks900SE
10-07-06, 10:44 PM
I have also lost my only set of keys before...but they turned up before any serious steps had been taken. After calls to the dealership and what not this is what I found out for a t5 car.

The keys are laser cut and can be had through the VIN number, BUT if you locked the car with the FOB, a new key alone wont do the trick...

As for the key FOB and the recieving unit in the car...

There is a second control module that is unrelated to the ECU and VIN of the car. This module sits under the front seat and determines the code between it and the key FOB. Since it is unrelated to the VIN there is no way of looking up the code, UNLESS you had a second programed FOB.

So inorder to get the car running again, you will have to have the control module under the front seat replaced and a new FOB comes with that.

Good news is that your jsp ecu will remain untouched, and a new key is only like $80 since it has to come from sweeden...atleast thats what my dealer said. Bad news, dont even ask how much a new alarm control module is.

nilaszewski
10-07-06, 11:03 PM
I have also lost my only set of keys before...but they turned up before any serious steps had been taken. After calls to the dealership and what not this is what I found out for a t5 car.

The keys are laser cut and can be had through the VIN number, BUT if you locked the car with the FOB, a new key alone wont do the trick...

As for the key FOB and the recieving unit in the car...

There is a second control module that is unrelated to the ECU and VIN of the car. This module sits under the front seat and determines the code between it and the key FOB. Since it is unrelated to the VIN there is no way of looking up the code, UNLESS you had a second programed FOB.

So inorder to get the car running again, you will have to have the control module under the front seat replaced and a new FOB comes with that.

Good news is that your jsp ecu will remain untouched, and a new key is only like $80 since it has to come from sweeden...atleast thats what my dealer said. Bad news, dont even ask how much a new alarm control module is.

Thats sounds like what i was trying to say. Good thing some are better with words...;)

Hope you find those keys!!! Otherwise, Id hit up a junkyard and look for a car that has a remote and key in it, snag the module from under the seat, and see where you can get. Not sure if it would work but i really dont see why not.

hiro1030
10-07-06, 11:05 PM
The place we have here in appleton which is a saab only indy is called "The Auto Shop". Anyone ever heard of them? Yes, I used to go there to get some parts for my 84 900 8v. About 15 years ago....

nilaszewski
10-07-06, 11:40 PM
Yes, I used to go there to get some parts for my 84 900 8v. About 15 years ago....

Yea, i think they have been around for like 30 years or something...thats a long time for an indie. There is a good reason for it to, they do great work and have good prices.

Here is a question related to the thread...Can i get a banana fob and have it programmed to my 01? I really just want it as a backup to go with my vallet key.

Also, how does one go abou tgetting another key with fob integraged? Can i order any one off ebay, and then is there a key insert or what?

CleveSaab
11-07-06, 05:27 PM
Yes.

.... to both questions.

nilaszewski
11-07-06, 05:35 PM
nice, thanks.

nilaszewski
11-07-06, 05:50 PM
I cant get this damn key fob open! Im pushing a paper clip in the hole but it wont pop open!!! What am i doing wrong?

WaSaabiPSI
11-07-06, 07:21 PM
thanks guys! anyways... my car alarm was armed so i'm sure lucky someone turned in my keys after they found them. i called everywhere i was yesturday. I was in my work truck and must of dropped them on my visit to the gas station. i called and asked and descriped them and wham! i was instantly so happy.:cheesy: - yeah like that

Wisconsin is rocking man.... its nice to see more and more posting on this forum. a lot of other saab friends i know post on saab link, so i kind of go back and forth, but saab central is a lot more productive when you have problems

WaSaabiPSI
11-07-06, 07:22 PM
ohh... i'm getting another key made... i think that might be the best investment yet

nilaszewski
11-07-06, 07:36 PM
a better investment would be another fob which you put in a safe place at home. A key will do you no good when you drop your fob in the toilet at the bar...;oops:

Good thing i had a spare at home!

nilaszewski
11-07-06, 07:38 PM
BTW...tell the saab link guys to come and post on here, everyone knows their stuff.

The moderators especially on here really know it all.

WaSaabiPSI
11-07-06, 07:49 PM
a better investment would be another fob which you put in a safe place at home. A key will do you no good when you drop your fob in the toilet at the bar...;oops:

Good thing i had a spare at home!

sorry man, fob??? you mean my remote? how much is it to get another programed? i see the remote on ebay all the time

nilaszewski
11-07-06, 08:04 PM
sorry man, fob??? you mean my remote? how much is it to get another programed? i see the remote on ebay all the time

key fob...?

Yea, remote, all the same.

20-30 off of ebay. I had the local indie program my remote, the auto shop, they did it for free since they were not busy. I would say at most, after its all said and done, you should easily be under $50 programmed. They will need your current remote to get the right remote code tho.

$50 for piece of minde is worth it IMHO.

Marks900SE
11-07-06, 10:36 PM
The price I was quoted for a new alarm control module was about $1200...so anything near $50 is well worth it. I have since had another FOB programmed.

Ange
17-07-06, 03:11 PM
In a 900, you would have to buy a remote, but with a 9-3 you can just program another key (you can use a remote as well, but it would not start the car:) ). Unlocking a 9-3 with the key disarms the alarm, a 900 is different.