Stage 1,2,3 turbo? What are they? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Stage 1,2,3 turbo? What are they?

UK9K
06-07-06, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, have decided to get my turbo rebuilt, which is gna cost 440 squid. Now, what I am getting, the guy says is;
360 deg thrust bearing
bored out internal compressor to accomodate a slightly bigger turbine(inlet only)

He said it was the equilavent to a Stage 1 upgrade. I told him I wanted to run 20-22 psi. He said with the 360 deg thrust bearing, it should be fine.

Ok fair enough, but does anyone know what else can be done to the turbo to gain more power? Whats involved in Stage 1,2 and 3 then? Is there a bigger turbo which will bolt straight on without mods instead of the t25?

Andyaero
06-07-06, 07:07 PM
The stage numbers as discussed in other threads relates to manufacturer's software specs not different sizes of turbos. All the main tuners....maptun/nordic/abbott/sqr, will do up to stage 3 without tinkering with the turbo, tho I agree you probably do want to improve on the t25. I believe the t28 is a straight bolt on, no alterations to oil or water lines, but its not a huge increase in power, depends where you wanna go. Software will need matching to get the full potential from whatever you use.

UK9K
06-07-06, 07:13 PM
I asked the guy how much he would take out of the compressor for the slightly bigger turbine, he said only about 1mm, but it'd definitely make a difference, even tho it was only a small increase of size. So turbo's themselves aren't built in stages then? Just uprated for heavier duty really. it's a pity other cars turbo's, even t25's won't interchange with other cars. Thers a hybrid t25 off a Ren 5 GTT on Ebay with the turbo falgne elbow. Pity it won't fit ours. :(