MP3 preamp when connected to cd player [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: MP3 preamp when connected to cd player

winddance
15th June 2006, 11:03 AM
If you have attached your mp3 player to your in the trunk cd changer can you let me know how powerful of a preamp you used? Can't figure out if I should get one that is 10db, 20db, 1 watt or 10 watts. Please let me know what you have successfully used. Thanks!

klarking1075
15th June 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm assuming that you are talking about the stock clarion system. You shouldn't need any form of pre-amp to boost the signal as at 3/4 volume it should be at around the same level as a standard line in anyway.

The only thing that you may need to do is splice the cabling to provide the additional input for the MP3 player.

Kenneth

winddance
15th June 2006, 12:04 PM
Nope. Need a pre-amp. Ipods don't put out enough power going through that circuit.

Speedy1
15th June 2006, 12:10 PM
The only thing that you may need to do is splice the cabling to provide the additional input for the MP3 player

Hey Kenneth. Could you elaborate on the cable splicing for me? My Saab has the standard Clarion CD changer, but I must admit, I do miss the convenience of the JVC CD/MP3 player from my old 9000 & I'd been thinking about doing a swap.

But if it's possible to have both that would be ideal :p Just not sure how the selection process would work.. I'm fairly sure you can't run both units into the amp / speakers at the same time??

klarking1075
15th June 2006, 01:06 PM
Nope. Need a pre-amp. Ipods don't put out enough power going through that circuit.

What voltage does the input need on the head unit? Normal line voltage is 2v. Most headphone output at 3/4 - full generates enough voltage that you should be able to get a usable signal.

Some systems use up to a 4v input in which case, yes you would need a pre-amp. Most systems that I've come across with this will work quite happily with a 2v input.

Hey Kenneth. Could you elaborate on the cable splicing for me?

If your system has the standard CD Changer, what you would be aiming to do is add either a 3.5mm plug cable or 2xphono sockets that feed in on the normal left/right input channel of the changer. The only problem you have is that you need to generate a silent CD which you select when you want to use the MP3 player, and the rest should work as long as the Clarion system uses a standard line in input for it's sound.

Hope this makes sense.

Kenneth

Speedy1
15th June 2006, 01:13 PM
If your system has the standard CD Changer, what you would be aiming to do is add either a 3.5mm plug cable or 2xphono sockets that feed in on the normal left/right input channel of the changer. The only problem you have is that you need to generate a silent CD which you select when you want to use the MP3 player, and the rest should work as long as the Clarion system uses a standard line in input for it's sound.

Hope this makes sense.

Kenneth

Think you're confirming what I thought, you need to add an extra stereo input to the Clarion / amp & come up with a way of switching between the stock unit or the new one... Anyone actually done this? Home hi-fi is a breeze compared to car audio :cheesy:

winddance
15th June 2006, 01:27 PM
Yep. My portable cd plays ok, ipod just isn't powerful enought o get any kind of volume. Very weak level of sound. I was thinking about the following type of preamp, or the boostaroo. I don't think the boostaroo would be powerful enough though. Thanks!

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/ampl/k100.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Boostaroo-Headphone-Amplifier-for-iPod-Sony-MP3_W0QQitemZ9740795294QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3274QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What voltage does the input need on the head unit? Normal line voltage is 2v. Most headphone output at 3/4 - full generates enough voltage that you should be able to get a usable signal.

Some systems use up to a 4v input in which case, yes you would need a pre-amp. Most systems that I've come across with this will work quite happily with a 2v input.

Hope this makes sense.

Kenneth

klarking1075
16th June 2006, 09:09 AM
Yep. My portable cd plays ok, ipod just isn't powerful enought o get any kind of volume. Very weak level of sound. I was thinking about the following type of preamp, or the boostaroo. I don't think the boostaroo would be powerful enough though. Thanks!

Ahh, Considering I don't own an Ipod that would explain why I didn't know that they have a very weak output. Something new learned.

What you're best looking for is a headphone amplifier. I had thought that maplin or RS Components would have had what you needed, but surprisingly they didn't.

Try your local Hi-Fi dealer, and they should be able to find you something. If possible something that can take a 12v DC input would be ideal as the car could then power it.

Kenneth

Edit :

The first of the two links would do what you're looking to do. Don't just ramp up the volume though, ideally you're looking for around a 2v output from the amplifier with the ipod set to 3/4 volume.

klarking1075
16th June 2006, 09:23 AM
Anyone actually done this? Home hi-fi is a breeze compared to car audio :cheesy:

I've not done it in this system, but I have done it with other stuff and never had an issue with it. I may consider doing it at somepoint with the clarion unit.

Try working with equipment that has a 0.5v input - that's fun as you wonder why it keeps distorting at a low volume level...

Kenneth

winddance
27th June 2006, 02:47 PM
I had a surprising development. Once I added the pre amp I didn't need the CD player to run to listen to the music. Of course I would need a lengthy cd playing to use it on the cd mode. But, it now plays on the tape setting if I put an empty tape in there. Plus it will play on the radio setting - Although it would be best to find a freq that had dead air and not static. This is much clearer than using the MP3 tape adapter I was using. Pretty simple to do. Simple broke into the wire bundle going to the cd player in the trunk. Cut the gray wires and put a switch in. One way the cd would play, the other would go to a cord with a 3.5mm mini-plug. The ground is the obvious wire - The one with no insulation on it. If you are no longer using the cd player you could skip the switch.

Oh, I am using the boostaroo as a preamp.