Build a 9000 race car? which one??? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Build a 9000 race car? which one???

John Z Williams
2nd June 2006, 03:39 PM
I have been considering building a 9000 race car only and went to my local Saab shop, they have one 1988 apc style 9000 with 2.0 and t25 and auto trany for 700.00 bucks....

The other one is a 1993 9000 aero with no head, no trany, but comes with block and tdo4 15t 6cm turbine housing. This car for 700.00 bucks, needs front bumper, two front seats and head to re-build as race motor...

Is the t5 much more user friendly for abstracting power. First car runs and is complete, could drive it home. Second car, aero, has no head, no trany and no bumper, no front seats, no good wheels....

Which one would be better for a project race car? What years should I be looking at and which years are best to upgrade to race ready condition...
Road racing that is... No 1/4 mile.....
THanks, John

KevinC
3rd June 2006, 08:16 AM
I have been considering building a 9000 race car only and went to my local Saab shop, they have one 1988 apc style 9000 with 2.0 and t25 and auto trany for 700.00 bucks....

The other one is a 1993 9000 aero with no head, no trany, but comes with block and tdo4 15t 6cm turbine housing. This car for 700.00 bucks, needs front bumper, two front seats and head to re-build as race motor...

Is the t5 much more user friendly for abstracting power. First car runs and is complete, could drive it home. Second car, aero, has no head, no trany and no bumper, no front seats, no good wheels....

Which one would be better for a project race car? What years should I be looking at and which years are best to upgrade to race ready condition...
Road racing that is... No 1/4 mile.....
THanks, John

I'm not exactly unbiased, but the Aero already has better susp. plus it is the newer and stiffer chassis. You are more limited with the 1993 than you would be with 1994+ 9ks in terms of finding heads and transmissions. If the car is going to undergo extensive work though, it might be possible to buy a 1994+ engine and trans and find a way to get it into the car, I think others have done this. Source extra trannies, and an LSD if you can afford it.

Strip out the inside, get a cage welded in, fire exting, and get some serious brakes, then as funds allow work on susp., adding SAS 1" bars and H&R springs w/ Konis or Bilst. shocks plus track rubber and you will have a great handling car.

Sounds fun, lots of work, but if you buy as much second-hand as possible and do most of your own work it might be a great budget track car. There certainly have been some great 9k track cars built in the past.

I have seen lots of road going 9ks tearing up tracks in the UK and Germany.

Good luck!

John Z Williams
3rd June 2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks, yea, it would be build as I get money and parts kind of prodject. I would slowly put in parts, mostly used at first and then start to upgrade as money and availability of parts come through. I thought the motors for later 9000's could be made to fit too, are they not all the b234 engine blocks?

I would strip, cut, chop all the extra weight out of it, weld in some gussets in some key locations, add a roll cage and that would give me a stong light weight car to start building a monster motor with. An lsd would be a must for road-racing and monster breaks and maybe forged pistons and huge turbo... I have heard 450bhp is about the minimum you could expect to run and be somewhat competitive... Thanks for the tips,
John

saabkid37
3rd June 2006, 06:06 PM
you dont need forged pistons in any 9000 all stock motors plus injectors and a huge turbo can make 500 ponys youll just eat trannys.

the early body 9k's (91-92) have a better weight and chassis for racing. go with that

mike saunders
3rd June 2006, 09:42 PM
91 and 92 have quicker gearing, too....

dboone
3rd June 2006, 11:10 PM
Talk to Paul at Automotion. He is a site sponsor on saabnet. He has a '91 9k that from what I hear, gets him a podium at every race. He is also the SQR distributor in the US.

saabkid37
4th June 2006, 12:47 AM
yeah redbull is nice..makes like 450 hp

John Z Williams
4th June 2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the tips, sounds like I need to be looking for a 91-92 version, we looked at the weight on the 89-9000, the guy said the tag on the door read 4100lbs:o Can that be right or is that maybe gross weight, not curb weight? He also had a 99 he said was light and had been a scca car, but when we checked the door panel, over 4000lbs.. He thought it was a 2500lb car... What is the average weight of a 9000? Could I fit a b234r motor in a 89-9000 body? He thought the main difference was the subfame, that could be swapped out??? Thanks,

John

Last_straw
4th June 2006, 10:10 AM
Yeah those must be maximum gross weights,
According to Haynes the kerb weights are as follows
9000 5 door 1390 - 1550 kg
9000 cd 1395 - 1550
9000 cs 1410 - 1570

1kg = 2.2 (British llbs) so you do the math ;)
the variation in weight I guess are down to options, electric seats >manual, leather int>cloth, moonroof>none, aircon>heater etc.
The engine changed around '94, so the later engines are known as small block, earlier big block, the transmission isn't interchangeable between the two.

John Z Williams
7th June 2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks, yea thats around 3058-3410lbs Sounds a little better. That at least gives me some idea as to what to look for and how I will go about building this car.... Thanx,

John