ANYONE HAVE FULL JT 3" EXHAUST????? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: ANYONE HAVE FULL JT 3" EXHAUST?????

sa900ab
3rd March 2003, 01:11 AM
I just installed mine and it doesnt sound good. It actually sounds bad. . . really bad. Jap honda civic with a coffee can muffler bad. You all know I cant be drivin a SAAB with nasty exhaust is it possible that there is a leak and its making it sound like that or what? The car also stutters at low revs and the check engine light comes on sometimes. Any help please. . . . :cry:

trexturk
3rd March 2003, 01:14 AM
Well since you don't have a Cat, the check engine light will go on.
Well as a comment to the loudness, it is a 3" turbo back with no cat, so its going to be loud.
Thats from what I understand

sa900ab
3rd March 2003, 01:27 AM
I tightend up the downpipe and that helped with the ricy sound a little. Now Im just worried about the stuttering when I upshift and go from a standstill. And the check engine light it doesnt know there isnt a cat the o2 sensor is before where the cat would be. :-?

saablaxer18
3rd March 2003, 07:41 PM
I am really scared at this point. I just recieved the full JT 3" exhaust. I almost installed in in Sunday. What should I do about this becasue I don't want to have the same problem as you. UH OH Please help

ERP
3rd March 2003, 11:33 PM
When I first installed my JT 3 downpipe along with my sport exhaust I felt the same way about the sound. It was too loud for a Saab. The noise level at idle was okay but once it got above 1500 rpm it became obnoxious. The reason for this was the lack of a catalytic converter. I had always planned on adding a cat but it took me a few weeks to source one and have it installed. The sound improved greatly with the cat and Im very happy with it now. I recommend getting one, the decrease in performance is negligible. Cheapest place for a 3 cat is Summit Racing, $50. Then bet on another $50 for the install.

Leaks are easier to find after driving around a few days. Then you can see carbon deposits where it is leaking out. It will take 3 or 4 different times to tighten the three bolts at the turbo down due to thermal expansion/compression. And then check them every 6 months to make sure they are snug.

I did not have the problem of stuttering at low revs with my exhaust. I would suspect something else as the cause but the 3 makes it more apparent. How many miles on your Saab sa900ab?

Saablaxer18 The 3 downpipe and exhaust is a good system and I recommend installing it. It will be loud but that is easily fixed. What year is your 900 SE? The later model years had two O2 sensors, the second one after the cat. If you have two O2 sensor you will need to have a bung welded in for it.

trexturk
4th March 2003, 06:07 PM
Ok all, I just installed the full 3" turbo back, and to tell you the truth, I think it is perfect. It is acually quiter then I thought it would be.
It took my cousins shop to install the exhaust around 2.5 hours and the end result was good.
Im not a big fan of the muffler though.

After like 2500 to 3000 rpm's, i can feel a huge power increase.

sa900ab
4th March 2003, 06:57 PM
Did you get one with or without the cat? I know that when I get a cat it will take away some performance. But the sound is way to loud. Do you think that I could have a muffler shop install it in a place that I could disconect from the down pipe. So when I race I can Just have a strait downpipe?

trexturk
4th March 2003, 09:01 PM
I got the one without the cat.
I don't understand what you are trying to say, you want to put a sports cat on, but you want to be able to take it off for racing.
That would be to much labor to enter a race, and would take to long.

sa900ab
4th March 2003, 10:23 PM
No see. If I had the cat put on a pipe that isnt the downpipe you could just disconect it when you want to race. There would be 2 bolts and some wiggling to get the pipes disconnected. I wouldnt take the whole thing out, that I agree would take way to much time.

trexturk
4th March 2003, 11:30 PM
So, just have a pipe that goes in for race days and a cat for daily driving, I understand.
Well, I'm preaty sure you can do that and put some clamps on the end, but you have a possiblity for leaks.

Tweek's Turbos
5th March 2003, 03:57 PM
Go to this website. www.buickgn.com they have an item called electric exhaust cutouts. This will shut the flow to the full exhaust and dump it out another pipe. or vice versa. Also look at www.casperselectronics.com for O2 sensor simulators.

rez-1
5th March 2003, 07:54 PM
Ok guys... sa900ab, saablaxer18 and trexturk, where and how much did you guys pay in full for the 3" full exhaust that you guys have, i want to look into this for my 98 900se turbo...so if you could, where? website? pricing? shipping even? i think one of you are from NH... thanks guys
Matt Rez

trexturk
5th March 2003, 08:19 PM
I got my exhaust from http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=jt62-k
Well, since the stock exhaust is 2.5" and going to 3", it was a tight fit.
I don't know if everyones muffler is like this but, does the muffler go sideways?

saablaxer18
5th March 2003, 09:25 PM
When I ordered my exhaust I ordered it from engstrom.net and I also bought an opti flow intake. Everything was bought and shipped for $650. I definitely recommend these guys they were very helpful and generous. Especially (Bo) he is a real nice guy.

sa900ab
5th March 2003, 11:35 PM
I bought mine form genuinesaab.com for about 520 dollers (i think). It was a pretty good deal now that I got it to work. I would recommend to buy the one with the cat in the first place. Or the cheaper route would be to buy a cat and have a muffler shop install it.