Easy 35lb [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Easy 35lb

JEM
25th May 2006, 01:39 AM
Easy way to take 35lb off the nose of your 9000:

http://www.milleredp.com/gallery/v/cars/saab/DSCN1582.JPG.html
http://www.milleredp.com/gallery/v/cars/saab/DSCN1583.JPG.html

I've got a couple of the PC680s around here for other cars, it's such a perfect fit that I think I'll actually do it. Get some 16ga aluminum to bend a clamp and put some eye terminals on the cables so that I won't need the adapter posts.

klarking1075
25th May 2006, 02:13 AM
I thought you were about to tell me to go on a diet.....

I think that'd be a little more than 35lb I could lose.

Kenneth

Last_straw
25th May 2006, 04:19 AM
How much do they cost and whats the expected lifetime of these?

its_tricky83
25th May 2006, 05:34 AM
I'm very sceptical about them.. but intreaged. What's the comparison to other err, normal sized batteries? like crankage n all that stuff!?!

I've had a truck batery in my car for as long as I can remember, before it was mine actually. I'm starting to think I should get rid of it.

Any more info on them?

JEM
26th May 2006, 05:46 PM
Any more info on them?

Go google for 'odyssey pc680'

They're commonly used in jetskis, snowmobiles, big motorcycles, race cars.

The two I've got now - one is in my SHO (temporarily at the moment, gotta finish up the bracket for it) and one is going in my 351W Mustang track car.

It doesn't freeze here, and I don't have a big stereo in the SHO, it works fine for my needs.

SleeperSaab9000
7th June 2006, 07:53 PM
Does anyone have anymore experience with these batteries on a DD?

its_tricky83
7th June 2006, 10:24 PM
I checked them out on their homepage, they seem pretty cool. But scheptical as to how long I could run electrics without having the engine going. I'm used to having my slightly oversized battery in mine, which gives me a bit of extra battery life, admittedly I dont need it. Soundsystem is stock, all the electronics are stock.

So yeh I will keep these batteries in mind for next time.

SleeperSaab9000
7th June 2006, 11:53 PM
Yeah, it sounds like when the car is running they'll do fine. But if you're sitting in your car listening to the radio without the engine running seems like they'll peeter out pretty quick. Not to mention parking the vehicle for a couple of weeks would drain the battery.

I like the idea of shedding the weight and even moving it under the passenger seat!

screamingreen97
8th June 2006, 03:39 PM
my friend has one in his lancer...its a BIG weight diff....he gets a bttr crank and stuff too...th eonly downside is, you cant jump other cars that need a jump start

aarivers
8th June 2006, 03:51 PM
my friend has one in his lancer...its a BIG weight diff....he gets a bttr crank and stuff too...th eonly downside is, you cant jump other cars that need a jump start

Why is your friend trying to jump start a car without his car running? The alternator is the power source when you jump a car off from a running vehicle.

Here are the specs on the 680T,

PC 680T Specs:

680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 1800A
17 amp hours
24 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
With metal jacket
Length 7 1/16"
Width 2 15/16"
Height 7 5/16"
Weight 15 lbs
Odyssey design:

2 year full warranty
Rugged Drycell sealed design
Military grade
Vibration resistant
60% more starting power
Deep discharge reserve power
2 year storage life
8-12 year design life
Can be mounted flat or upright
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680t_lg.jpg

saabluster
9th June 2006, 01:29 AM
I have one in my Aero and it seems to work fine as long as you drive it every day. Since my tranny went a few weeks ago I got back in it to get something out of the trunk and it hardly had enough power to pop the trunk. It will be interesting to see how it handles winter.

RGraham
11th June 2006, 06:20 PM
"Why is your friend trying to jump start a car without his car running? The alternator is the power source when you jump a car off from a running vehicle."

:o :o
Erm... there's no way the alternator can provide the hundreds of Amps necessary to start a car...