Clutch noise when released [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Clutch noise when released

szat
29th April 2006, 06:27 AM
Hey everybody,
I have a problem with my clutch - its beiing noisy for last 2 weeks. The noise from the clutch is a low whine and occurs when the clutch pedal released on neutral gear. When the clutch pedal is depressed the noise is gone. Hydraulic system is OK. What that might be?:roll: . Mechanic that I talked to said that clutch is worn out, but he didn't say exactly what is wrong. :confused: I read through a lot of threads on this forum but couldn't find anythin similar. Maybe throwout bearing is faulty. I don;t know when the clutch was replaced last time. Any suggestions,
How hard is to replace clutch in 900 turbo ? Whats better guide: Bentley or Haynes(I have acces only to that one)?
PLease any advice is much appreciate:)

woywitka
29th April 2006, 07:30 AM
Hey everybody,
Maybe throwout bearing is faulty
yup, very likely!

Hey everybody,

How hard is to replace clutch in 900 turbo ?

very very easy!

Hey everybody,
Bentley or Haynes(I have acces only to that one)?

never the haynes, always the bentley.

make sure you change you tranny oil out and put in honda MTF! with a new clutch and new tranny oil you will enjoy the car much much more!

szat
29th April 2006, 08:19 AM
How long can I drive with noise like that, is it safe?
It takes a long time to ship bentley from US to Australia:roll:
Can I do it with the Haynes only?
Thanx

jetman
29th April 2006, 08:52 AM
Mine made horrible, horrible noise like a squirrel in a blender for about 4 months. I bought a clutch with the intent of fixing it when it failed. About a month ago all noises went away when the brake master cylinder was replaced. I don't know...but I'm still going to drive it until it falls out.

Jim Mesthene
29th April 2006, 09:11 AM
noisy...occurs when the clutch pedal released on neutral gear. When the clutch pedal is depressed the noise is gone.

Sounds more like a transmission noise to me.

jetman
29th April 2006, 09:37 AM
Sounds more like a transmission noise to me.

like a bad shifter fork?

szat
29th April 2006, 09:50 AM
Yes but mechanic drove the car and said its the clutch,
besaides there is no problem with gear changing

jetman
29th April 2006, 10:03 AM
Yes but mechanic drove the car and said its the clutch,
besaides there is no problem with gear changing

Well a bad clutch is certainly a better situation than a blown tranny. I have certainly had both. A bent shift fork will give you the chirp-chirp, even if you can shift. The difference in diagnosis would be (to me at least) that you say it makes noise when the car is in neutral. In neutral the clutch is doing nothing so it shouldn't be making any noise. Clutch noise usually comes when its being depressed and released. The tranny noise will be more or less all the time except when the clutch is all the way depressed.

Jim Mesthene
29th April 2006, 10:15 AM
The guy who looked at, and drove the car has a big advantage. Maybe he felt something in the pedal. I hope he's right. I thought it sounded like a primary chain bearing, from your description.

How do you know what a squirrel in a blender sounds like?

szat
30th April 2006, 12:01 AM
primary chain bearing,ha? Maybe I'll go to different mechanic to check this out, I hope its not tranny.
Thanx

Jezzadee
30th April 2006, 02:57 AM
Buzzing / whining in neutral with the clutch out which stops when the clutch is depressed sounds like the clutch release bearing.

Jim Mesthene
30th April 2006, 10:40 AM
If the noise is caused by the pressure plate contacting the T/O bearing when the pedal is released, a few drops of oil dripped on the bearing contact area through the inspection hole will silence it. Do this when the engine is not running, oil that misses it's target will drip out the bottom, causing no harm.

I always thought of that noise as more of a chirping/squealing than humming/whining; different noise?

unkleG'sif
30th April 2006, 04:15 PM
mine makes a sort o whistley buzz.... been doing it for a few months

i'll try your tip jim;)

g

szat
2nd May 2006, 05:39 AM
Today I discovered that on the floor of the garage is a spot of lubricant grease underneath the clutch area.;oops: Maybe that is the reason of the noise!:cry: But why is it on the floor?

sab aero
2nd May 2006, 06:36 AM
It takes a long time to ship bentley from US to Australia:roll:
Can I do it with the Haynes only?
Thanx

You can buy the Bentley manual locally here in Melbourne... I wouldnt get it shipped from UK or USA (weight would be pretty heavy!). Try SaabWreck here in Oakleigh... thats where I got mine from. Speak with Terry there. They also offer discounts to Saab Car Club of Australia members when you show them your membership card (if you are a member). IIRC Bentley was about $130 from Saabwreck.

HTH
cheers
Steve

szat
2nd May 2006, 06:55 AM
Where can I find inspection hole for bearing contact area? Pics would be much appreciated

Thanx szat:)

RoccoH
2nd May 2006, 08:28 AM
... I thought it sounded like a primary chain bearing, from your description.

my guess exactly, or a worn primary chain. And shouldn't there be more noise with a worn release bearing when you press in the clutch pedal instead of less noise?

I also have the same sound, changed the worn release bearing with a new one and still have the sound. The other bearing (the one in the fly wheel, can't remember the name right now) was still as new, probably changed when the clutch was changed because it was also as new; a new clutch plate was only 0.5 mm thicker

jetman
2nd May 2006, 09:37 AM
And shouldn't there be more noise with a worn release bearing when you press in the clutch pedal instead of less noise?

That's what I was trying to get at.