Turbo System [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Turbo System

A10MileHusker
24th February 2003, 06:55 PM
HEY,
I have a '99 Saab 9-3 Turbo. However, I want to make it a Twin turbo and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone doin that or if it's possible to do that. If you havn't notice I want to get into racing and a Twin Turbo is a good way to start. :D

SaxyWeed
24th February 2003, 07:34 PM
Why not use a larger single turbo? Are you looking at all low end power and spool up time?

pade900
25th February 2003, 07:15 AM
I've never heard of anyone doing a twinturbo conversion on a 9-3, or on any Saab..
With a bigger single turbo (and alot of other mods of course) you should be able to get 300++ hp out of you engine..And the thing is, I think, that even if you in theory would achive more hp with a twinturbo (not sure you would) I'm not sure how much more the engine itself could take. :roll:
There is a company in Sweden called Nordic who are working on a project ng900/9-3 with a 2.3l engine and they are going for 400++ hp, this with a single turbo. Check it out here: http://www.nordictuning.biz/specialproducts/ (in swedish) but some nice pics :D

Also note that people tuning Toyota Supras (twinturbos) for high bhp (800+) are changing to a single turbo !!

Jeremy R.
25th February 2003, 01:19 PM
Twin turbos are used to reduce spool up time. A pair of small turbos will spin up faster than one large one, but in racing when your engine is usually at high RPMs, that wouldn't be as much of an issue. In normal street driving, two turbos would be nice. Road and Track commented that in a Saab turbo, Geo Metros seems to have the acceleration of Ferraris for the first couple of seconds until the turbo spools up.

ERP
25th February 2003, 03:35 PM
You are most likely to see a twin turbo system on a V6 or V8 where there are two sets of exhaust headers. On an in-line four it doesn't make sense to run two turbos. The best proof of this is the Pikes Peak Viggen. One large turbo, 48 psi, 750 hp and it has set two new records at Pikes Peak in the unlimited class.