If you had a choice in a new magizine... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: If you had a choice in a new magizine...

crackheadmel
22-02-03, 07:12 PM
For all of you people that read car magizines wether it be Turbo, SCC, GRM, Super Street, Import Tuner etc., what are some articals or features that you would like to see, and what are some that you are just plain sick of reading about?

Thanks in advance

-Jacob

ageybaby
23-02-03, 05:00 AM
Soooooo crack which mag do u work for? :wink: :cheesy: lmao

Tone_Depear
23-02-03, 05:00 AM
Soooooo crack which mag do u work for? :wink: :cheesy: lmao

And can I have a job? :cheesy:

ageybaby
23-02-03, 05:13 AM
car mags i think have 2 b very careful. I think because public perception of them changes quickly if they change there type of article 2 much, each mag is associated with a type of article aggressive descriptive etc also all the articles are relative. Its only 1 persons point of view urs or mine might b different so to answer ur question they really need some more articles from "normal" people on the street. Real life livin with the car etc not from hi falutin journo's with a fuel card n no need 2 use it as everyday transport Phew rant over lmao
i'll get me coat :nono; :nono; :cheesy:
p.s i just thought of somethin else things like does it bring a smile 2 ur face every time u get in it like my Ruby does, they have no real passion fer cars. Thats why clarkson does well, because love him or hate him at least he's passionate. :roll: :cheesy:

kevitree
23-02-03, 08:30 AM
I agree with agey, when was the last time a magazine praised our wonderful marque

Remember magazines are there for 1 reason only TO SELL (therefore make money) ordinary mortals aspire to owning souped up BMW's and Fords so a mag will loose readers if it starts to slate this target audience

IE: Has anyone seen any right up on the 9-3 AERO? Low fuel emmisions therefore low company car tax! cleaner emmisions (although thats not new)!

Widde
23-02-03, 09:18 AM
I still haven't found a mag that got my vote... There's always too much of one brand, too little technical articles, too much "rice" spoilers plastic and such. To much nudity (nudity is good :cheesy: , but it's not serious :nono;) If I want nudity I just use the Internet or the TV.
It seems that all new mag seems to go on the "wild/underground side" of car interest. To much "fast and the Furius" meets "debbie does dallas". It seems that nowadays to be in to cars you must do illegal streetracing at night to make your "girl" do it to you! and you need to upgrade her with silicone before using the airbags :o
I like good looking women but try reading an article in a public place (bus, train, airplane)whit out getting weird stares, when a "spread" is on the other page.

I picked up the MAX mag on one of my flights to Hong Kong. Dropped it accidentually on the floor during some turbulence and when the stewardess went by she picked it up and handed it to me, Guess what page what was open :oops:
-"yes, I just buy it for the articles :! :oops: "
- "sure :cheesy: "

I into cars for the driving, tech and feeling, not to risk other peoples lifes trying to impress some losers on a dark road or getting a bl*w j*b because my car is in a "cute" color. (Well, hmm...let me think about the last statement for a while :wink: )
No :! extreme driving shall be on a closed circuit. If I F*ck up the only one who should get hurt it's me. I couldn't live with myself if I hurt a innocent.

I'm still searching :wink: for a good mag.

Is there any mag which got the following:
- objective reports of all cars (new and old)
- good technical articles (DIY, how works, in depth, etc.)
- No plastic Rice mania (fast and the furious lookalike)
- Reports of serious tuning not just styling
- Objective performance testing (a mag in sweden got a track test that test the car all out, and theres the same driver who drives the cars in all test), 402m (quarter mile) is a good accelerating test, 100kmh-0 braking is also interesting, lateral skid, etc.
- no ads with computerized dump sounds for N/A cars.

/Widde

crackheadmel
23-02-03, 11:06 AM
Soooooo crack which mag do u work for? lmao

I was afriad of that, i dont work for any magizine, im going to start my own, but want opinions on what people want to see, and what there just plain sick of seeing.

And can I have a job?

Heh, at some point im goig to see if i can pay people that are more thamiliar with there car than i am to write tech articals on their cars. By doing this i think i could get better information to the readers, and also give back to the readers and message boards.

car mags i think have 2 b very careful. I think because public perception of them changes quickly if they change there type of article 2 much, each mag is associated with a type of article aggressive descriptive etc also all the articles are relative. Its only 1 persons point of view urs or mine might b different so to answer ur question they really need some more articles from "normal" people on the street. Real life livin with the car etc not from hi falutin journo's with a fuel card n no need 2 use it as everyday transport Phew rant over lmao

You do have to be carefull, by the nature of my mag being all tech right off the bat im gona loose everyone who's intreasted in show cars, and if i do very technical stuff, im gona loose the novices or visa versa. I agree i should get articals from "normal" people, i actualy planned on it.

agree with agey, when was the last time a magazine praised our wonderful marque
Remember magazines are there for 1 reason only TO SELL (therefore make money) ordinary mortals aspire to owning souped up BMW's and Fords so a mag will loose readers if it starts to slate this target audience

I know the main reason to make a magizine is to sell it. The reasons im making a mag is to use my design degree and still beable to work on cars all the time. My modivation is slightly different from most i think, im in it so i can play with cars, not make a tone of money

I still haven't found a mag that got my vote... There's always too much of one brand, too little technical articles, too much "rice" spoilers plastic and such. To much nudity (nudity is good , but it's not serious ) If I want nudity I just use the Internet or the TV.

Well the direction im going with my mag is All Tech, i want each issue to have 3 or 4 large tech articals varying in subject and on car each month. Then there will be the project cars, which will be on-going tech articls on building up a street or racecar. There will be a small part of the mag thats not strickly DIY's but 75% should be techy stuff each issue. The direction of my mag wont have anything to do with body kits, 22 inch wheels or any of that other crap. Ive also decided not to even bother with models, why spend the money on girls when i could get tools, or buy a better part.

It seems that all new mag seems to go on the "wild/underground side" of car interest. To much "fast and the Furius" meets "debbie does dallas". It seems that nowadays to be in to cars you must do illegal streetracing at night to make your "girl" do it to you! and you need to upgrade her with silicone before using the airbags
I like good looking women but try reading an article in a public place (bus, train, airplane)whit out getting weird stares, when a "spread" is on the other page.

Well im aimig more towards the home mechanic hobbiest type with a limited budget. Id like to make this mag something that anybody could own and not have to tear out pages to make it family friendly too.

I picked up the MAX mag on one of my flights to Hong Kong. Dropped it accidentually on the floor during some turbulence and when the stewardess went by she picked it up and handed it to me, Guess what page what was open
-"yes, I just buy it for the articles "
- "sure "

lol, that sucks

I into cars for the driving, tech and feeling, not to risk other peoples lifes trying to impress some losers on a dark road or getting a bl*w j*b because my car is in a "cute" color. (Well, hmm...let me think about the last statement for a while )
No extreme driving shall be on a closed circuit. If I F*ck up the only one who should get hurt it's me. I couldn't live with myself if I hurt a innocent.

Samee reasons im into cars. I like using what i build, good sence of accomplishment.

I'm still searching for a good mag.

Well maby ill make a good one

- Objective performance testing (a mag in sweden got a track test that test the car all out, and theres the same driver who drives the cars in all test), 402m (quarter mile) is a good accelerating test, 100kmh-0 braking is also interesting, lateral skid, etc.

Im goin to try to stray away from newer cars (like the 99's and up) due to cost. It also seems that most people that are into building up there car dont own a brand new one. There the ones driving a 90's jetta, a 1st gen crx or 1st or 2nd gen rx7.

Again someoen who wants DIY's and tech articals 8) This is exactly what i wanted to make the mag about. Im deffinetly straying away from ricy crap, makes me cring. And yes, i will refuse any add's that are for ricy crap, cg'd bov and wastegate boards will never be advertised in my mag

Cool idea's everyone, im loving this input. And if it makes a differnec im here for more than just research. My grilfrind really likes the Jetta, due to size and body style, so might as well learn about em.

-Jacob

saabstar
23-02-03, 12:13 PM
european car i am sick of all the bmw, vw, and audi they have nothing else but this

pieceofsaab
23-02-03, 01:39 PM
I read eurotuner for the vw/audi content. I also own a VW and eurotuner owns the youth market 8)

Mark P
23-02-03, 01:54 PM
You're going to have to 'sharpen up' your spelling first though if you're truly serious about starting your own magazine! :o

Tone_Depear
23-02-03, 03:54 PM
You're going to have to 'sharpen up' your spelling first though if you're truly serious about starting your own magazine! :o

Zing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark P
23-02-03, 04:58 PM
Hhhhmm, maybe that came out a little sharper than I meant it to ...... sorry about that :oops:

...but magizine is spelt magazine!

And...

crackheadmel
23-02-03, 10:18 PM
You're going to have to 'sharpen up' your spelling first though if you're truly serious about starting your own magazine!

oh, i know my spelling is horrible. It probably seems pretty bad here because i dont spell check anything, but even with spell checking i make many mistakes. Im deffinetly going to need someoen to read check and correct my articals if i write them.

Hhhhmm, maybe that came out a little sharper than I meant it to ...... sorry about that

Np, i was actualy waiting for someone to harp on me for it, i know its bad

-Jacob

Tone_Depear
24-02-03, 03:08 AM
deffinetly
:wink:

crackheadmel
24-02-03, 07:37 AM
:oops:

Tone_Depear
24-02-03, 09:00 AM
:oops:

Sorry. I'm in a vindictive mood. No offence to yourself intended. :cheesy:

I reckon good luck with it. Do what you want. If people read it good. If people are willing to advertise it, even better! The problem for most mags in the genre at the moment is people won't advertise if you're slagging their products, and the money to advertise at the moment, is with the fake boost valves, big plastic vents and neon washers. It's a bit of a viscious circle. If you can get round that, you'll do well.
All the best!

(I'd love to see a picture of that Jetta btw, I ****ing love those cars!)

Paco
24-02-03, 02:55 PM
Would anyone read a magazine that not only covered roadtests on new cars ( which can be found in every other mag) but was also heavy on "issues" be it petrol prices, roadbuilding, safety, speeding, manufacturer quality issues, prce fixing etc?

A magazine (hypothetically :wink: ) that is small enough and independent, therefore willing to throw a few punches?

Being a small affair it may not be able to to carry out the in depth figure checking of say "Evo", but would concentrate on things that matter to most "low - falutin'"drivers, like cost and entertainment value.

Just asking... :wink:

crackheadmel
24-02-03, 09:48 PM
Sorry. I'm in a vindictive mood. No offence to yourself intended.

Oh, none taken, i know my spelling sucks

The problem for most mags in the genre at the moment is people won't advertise if you're slagging their products, and the money to advertise at the moment, is with the fake boost valves, big plastic vents and neon washers. It's a bit of a viscious circle. If you can get round that, you'll do well.
All the best!

Ive noticed that, most add's that you see are for crap products. I hope to pick up companies whos products or services are not "rice". I dont want APC's wings or neon lights. I want RC Enginering, Racing Beat, MircoTech etc. If i can get these guys, i think ill be ok.

Would anyone read a magazine that not only covered roadtests on new cars ( which can be found in every other mag) but was also heavy on "issues" be it petrol prices, roadbuilding, safety, speeding, manufacturer quality issues, prce fixing etc?
A magazine (hypothetically ) that is small enough and independent, therefore willing to throw a few punches?

That would be intreasting, sort of take a stand, im not sure i could/should do this now. There are some things i could takle but if i was to make statements that could be proved to be un-true about quality of pieces or safty devices etc i could be sued quite quickly by the large corprate gients that are everywhere, and that would end this hole venture very quickly

There are some issues, some you mentiond that i would like to speak out about, if i do it wont be right away

Just asking...

please ask anything, throwing around idea's is how i work

-Jacob

MeatballTurbo
25-02-03, 07:43 AM
For all of you people that read car magizines wether it be Turbo, SCC, GRM, Super Street, Import Tuner etc., what are some articals or features that you would like to see, and what are some that you are just plain sick of reading about?

Thanks in advance

-Jacob

I read Max Power, Fast Car {ETC}, Street Machine, Custom Car, Car and Car conversions, Practical Classics, and EVO (plus any other mags that take my fancy).

of all of them, Streetmachine for the "Ordinary bloke" type projects where someone gives up half their life to the workshop to get his car a 4 page spread/write up, Practical Classic because to them a Classic doesn't need to be completly ancient, or worth 25k+ to be worthy of owning or restoring, it just has to be old, solid enough to be worth rebuilding, and safe enough to make it as a daily driver( whether it is an '80's Vauxhall Nava/Opel Corsa A, a 60's Viva, a VW Beetle, or a Ford Capri) This magazine is probably where the Saab 900 would fit best, but currently they are all obsessed with early '80's Mercs at the moment, or EVO for the detail, and fantastically fast motors (mainly modern, Italian, German, or oriental), and the amazing photoshoots and locations used in test drives (take about 10 of the most respected petrol head journos in motoring writing for the last 10-15 years, stick them in one magazine, and let them rag the crap out of the every "Performance" car, as they are made, and then write about it well).

If you want to start a mag, make sure you have you advertisers, and so make sure you have your ad sales team.

Why not make the content based on what you enjoy to do.
Start with what an ideal garage/workshop should be and be equiped with (Welder, Ramp/pit, Air tools, spray equipment) and give some costs of setting this up.

After that, show what courses are available for someone wanting to be an enthusiast repairer (find courses in all the countries/continents you plan to publish in), say spraying/welding/auto repair/maintenance.

Always have a project car on the go in the newly designed and equiped workshop, and each issue can have a photoshoot showing the stages of that job you did that month (hardest aprt is selling the car after all the sweat grief and love has gone in to it).

Always use readers car, with photos of their repairs/mods/restorations as a build history, they are the people who you want to buy the mag, and what better way to get them to, if they think that they may be famous one day. And they love to see read other peoples experiences/nightmares before they achieved perfection. Makes them realise they aren't the only nutter out there.

Make sure you have decent investors (don't use your own money unless you are seriously loaded).

Make sure you have decent staff (ad sales/writers(staff and freelance)/photographers/admin staff), you can't do it all yourself, you will either go mad or die of exhaustion.

Have fun with it.

crackheadmel
01-03-03, 03:40 PM
First of all, Wow, thanks for the great reply

Why not make the content based on what you enjoy to do

That is what im doing, i enjoy working on my car, and just trearing into a friends doing something radical is a great way to just kil a week

show what courses are available for someone wanting to be an enthusiast repairer (find courses in all the countries/continents you plan to publish in), say spraying/welding/auto repair/maintenance.

Thats an intreasting idea, ill add it to my never ending list

Always have a project car on the go in the newly designed and equiped workshop, and each issue can have a photoshoot showing the stages of that job you did that month (hardest aprt is selling the car after all the sweat grief and love has gone in to it).

Ive planed on doing this. Acutly yeasterday i pretty much got another car to start on, frind of mines old daily driver, gona see what we can do with it.

Always use readers car, with photos of their repairs/mods/restorations as a build history, they are the people who you want to buy the mag, and what better way to get them to, if they think that they may be famous one day. And they love to see read other peoples experiences/nightmares before they achieved perfection. Makes them realise they aren't the only nutter out there.

Yeah, i like this idea and have already decided to do it. Id like to cover alot more of the car's history and buildup instead of talking about its 3k worth of paint and worthless 25lb wheels.

Make sure you have decent investors (don't use your own money unless you are seriously loaded).

:( loaded i am not. Im not sure how im actualy going to finance this right now, but ill figure it out.

Make sure you have decent staff (ad sales/writers(staff and freelance)/photographers/admin staff), you can't do it all yourself, you will either go mad or die of exhaustion.

soon i will have people working for me, but as of now i just have friends doing me favors and giving advice. I know that i have to get help soon, the list of to-do's is daunting already

Have fun with it.

I will, thanks again for the great reply

-Jacob

Tweek's Turbos
01-03-03, 05:44 PM
As this was a long post, I dont have time at the moment to read everything in detail, here is what I think.

WWW.GMHighTechPerformance.com This is the site for my most favorite Mag. It comes out once every 2 months, its hard to find in most areas, and it covers most of what I'm into. Its published by Primedia, the same that does some larger margazines. On the rare occasion they test drive a "new car" its usually some non available GM freak show car, like an LS-1 powered Impalla which may or may not be available in a year or 2. This month they have a Bonneville GXS or something, again, big V8 in a car that may make production by next year.

They also have good build ups, both BIG $$$ and free stuff you can do with simple tools. They concentrate on later model GM performance cars, and some that really arent meant to be but can be made quite fast. I read it for the Turbo Buick content. They print Bolt ons, engine build ups, even buyers guides. I would love to see a later model Saab in the magazine since GM does own them, and hey, they perform highly.

They cover, and sponser some races down at Old Bridge Township in Englishtown NJ. Again, mostly later model cars, (Impallas, Caprices, 3,4,5 Gen F-Bodys, and Turbo Buicks, along with some of the supercharged front drivers.

MeatballTurbo
01-03-03, 06:10 PM
Jacob, no problem. As long as you go into this with both eyes open, expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. You are in with a shot.

rxse7en
09-07-03, 03:37 PM
First of all, CrackheadMel, are you not a fellow rotorhead? :D If not, sorry for the accusation, but your handle sounds very familiar. I'm not sure if you want to outted or not! :)

I found this thread interesting as I'm trying to put together a very niche publication here in the States for rotary-powered vehicles..."RX." The readership and advertising base is very small compared to the piston crowd, but the manufacturers and suppliers have stuck in there even when Mazda hasn't. Now with the return of the RX in the form of the 8, I think you're going to see a whole now group of people added to numbers--still small, but VERY enthusiastic!

The 7 still makes the covers of tuner magazines even though the car hasn't been in the States since '95. I just watched 1980 RX7 GS OWN every other car in every class at the autocross last month--from (no kidding) 30 different WRXs to race-ready Porsches.

I think niche pubs are the way to go.

Brian

rxse7en
09-07-03, 03:51 PM
Crackheadmel, I just reread thread and was wondering how your mag is doing? The best advice I can give you is get the right people in there to help you from the start. Your scope is much broader than mine, so you'll have more of an advertsing base to sell to but your competition is also going to be fierce.

My background is as a senior art director in NYC for sports and computer magazines, Left that years ago and do my own "things" now. If you want help with mock-ups, look-and-feel just let me know--anything for a fellow rotorhead! :D

RX is moving along. I've got the former director of advertising from New York Newsday handling the advertising sales and marketing. He's made the preliminary calls to some national advertisers to feel them out and he feels that they'll support a pub. This magazine will not make anyone rich. The market is waaaay too small to support it. We're talking a circ of maybe 30,000 at the most on a subscription basis at that.

Brian

garry
09-07-03, 06:50 PM
Art Direction?

Do you have this covered?

Pictures and words....... is that it?.

Aside from content (whatever you decide it to be) you also have to consider layout style.

Funky & visualy disturbing?
Plain & easy to the eye
or
The Garrry way ?

erm... in this age what about CDrom/dvd/kodak pic disk intergration of content.

If you need art direction, or a custom PC viewing interface to autoload from CD rom (and the contacts for batch duping) fine tuned with the mags layout.....giz a bell ;)

btw. Square and slanty (to over simplify) is popular at the moment......
....but you should be thinking of tomorrow.

hope this helps

rxse7en
09-07-03, 07:34 PM
http://www.rx7club.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=1938347

rxse7en
17-11-03, 12:45 PM
Hi all. I'm still alive, just very busy. The father-in-law bought a daily driver Accord so I can start modding his 900. But the important news is this:
www.rxtuner.com :D Enjoy.

Brian

MeatballTurbo
17-11-03, 05:17 PM
Well done sir.
PDF is well done as well, like it.

rxse7en
17-11-03, 07:32 PM
Thank you, sir!

baco99
17-03-04, 08:53 AM
What ever happened with this? I'd be interested in helping out.

PM me.

rxse7en
05-04-04, 05:47 PM
www.rxtuner.com
and the new site (almost complete) http://www.rxtuner.com/beta.php#

We have over 1,500 subscribers now and have an agreement with Mazda North America for advertising and some exclusive content. First issue shipped out last week, though we did send a free issue to everyone that subscribed early.

Brian:D

rxse7en
05-04-04, 05:52 PM
I could probably apply the same biz model to a SaabTuner magazine if anyone is interested in looking into it.

B

GearHead
05-04-04, 07:02 PM
hmmm...saabtuner...No rice please :D

rxse7en
05-04-04, 07:54 PM

Definitely no rice. The important factor regarding a Saab tuning title would be the association with a website, ie. Saab Central. My partner in RXTuner owns www.rx7club.com and www.rx8club.com with a combined membership of 50,000+ and 400 million hits a month. It's a major part of the marketing plan and HUGE source of editorial content.

BTW, my father-in-law has not sent me the SPG, but I have upgraded the turbo and FMIC on the 7...looking at 388hp now :D

B

baco99
05-04-04, 11:33 PM

Definitely no rice. The important factor regarding a Saab tuning title would be the association with a website, ie. Saab Central. My partner in RXTuner owns www.rx7club.com and www.rx8club.com with a combined membership of 50,000+ and 400 million hits a month. It's a major part of the marketing plan and HUGE source of editorial content.

BTW, my father-in-law has not sent me the SPG, but I have upgraded the turbo and FMIC on the 7...looking at 388hp now :D

B

i'd be interested in helping set this up and getting it off the ground. PM me.

D. Wolfe
05-04-04, 11:46 PM
Let me see...if I had a choice for a nude magazine???

Preferably would have articles and pictures of women!
Kinda like the stuff cuba has in his trunk...glossy cover, lots of pics and guy stuff....

Ah,..ooops, ...guess I read the post wrong again??
Need to get the bifocals out now!!!

grabs coat, covers red face...and exits stage right!

Cuba
06-04-04, 06:02 AM
I see...so lots of scenes with tartan rugs, Jumper cables and Saabs. Women lovinly draped over Saabs wearing nothing but Argyle socks and smoking pipes. Blow off valves and external waste gates. High beaming Saab husseys tempting you with heated seats and robust knobs. "ooops folks, reverse lock out!"

MeatballTurbo
06-04-04, 09:26 AM
I'm still searching :wink: for a good mag.

/Widde

try Retro Cars (http://www.retrocarsmag.co.uk) See if they will do you a subscription.

or when it is launched try the new PPC (practical performance Cars) (http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/) for the petrol head with a car from the 60's-90's.

Seems tuning the nuts off older cars is taking off.
Seems that people have realised there is more to life than another piece of S.O.T (Stick On Tat).

oh and just a quick edit:

Have a look at the forums over at Retro Rides (http://www.retro-rides.com), I brought a load of the Skoda boys in, so maybe a few of the Saab gurus should show up. Again another site for those why see past the go faster plastic.

baco99
06-04-04, 10:39 PM
it'd be nice for one of these mags to be based in the US so we can pay reasonable rates for subscriptions...

MeatballTurbo
07-04-04, 02:13 AM
Very true, but don't you guys get things like road and track, and have magazine that are full on hardcore the Custom/rod community. We have two monthly custom magazines, here (that tend to be sometimes a little short of new content or tech stuff, mainly readers cars/projects), plus 2 classic VW aircooled mags, plus 1 current, 1 arriving classic tuning, and 1 affordable classic mag.

The Ricers here get 4 near identical mags, all showing how to fit lowering springs, or make kick builds for yet another set of speakers (that was actually a useful feature), or add neons under your car (without mentioning the legality status of them), and loads of breasts regularly. I can see what Widde gets at about content.

I used to buy, Practical classics, and one or more each month of the ricer mags, just incase there was anything vagually interesting in them.

Now I just buy Retro, and soon will be buying PPC, don't buy Practical classics anymore, as I didn't like the way it went after the editor left, but that is OK, because he has gone on the form the team for PPC.

baco99
07-04-04, 08:13 AM
you're right, but most of the European car magazines in this country cater only to VWs, Audis, and BMWs. there is nothing for British, Italian, or Scandinavian cars for the hobbyist.

it would be nice to have a European car magazine with more breadth than what is currently available, and i would be very willing to either organize, design, or write for a new publication if soemone has already started the process.

yfs87
07-04-04, 08:14 AM
just keep me posted on the progress of your magazine...i would def be interested in getting it :P

yfs87
07-04-04, 08:15 AM
...and i would be very willing to either organize, design, or write for a new publication if soemone has already started the process.

i would too also be willing to write or do other things...any help you need, i could try to jam in for you between 2 jobs :wink: :-? lol

baco99
04-01-05, 11:52 AM
Looks like RX Tuner is doing well. Lots of new info on the web site and a similar look and feel with the RX7 and RX8 sites.

What of a Saab mag???

low_down_dirty_saab
04-01-05, 12:25 PM
would love to see a mag devoted to the saab car's i would subscribe to it for sure

Willy Wonka
04-01-05, 12:40 PM
I would love to see a magazine dedicated to the indigent.

"BETTER HOMELESS AND GARDENLESS" kind of.

Usual features would be Urban Homesteads, Performance Card Boards, Best Located Heat Ducts, Soup Kitchen Menus.

Special features would tie into world crisis. Avalanche Advocates, Tsunami Numees, Hurricane Humour, etc....
Sort of everyday stuff for daily survivors who don't get sympathy.:o

rdouthit
14-06-05, 11:54 AM
There was, at one time, a SAAB owners club magazine in the US. It peaked, IIRC, at a subscriber base of 2500. That was in the pre-GM days when all SAABs were really SAABs. Given the current state of GM's messing with SAAB DNA (using GM and Subaru products to round out the numbers) I think it would be insane to launch a SAAB-only magazine. The base just isn't large enough to build a profitable business from. That is, unless you scored a seriously large Sugar Daddy to pay the bills.

That said, we're always looking for nice 9-2x's to feature in Subiesport Magazine (since the 9-2x is just a re-skinned and mildly modified Subaru Impreza) and, when the new Driving Sports Magazine (www.drivingsports.com (http://www.drivingsports.com/)) returns, we'll have lots of great general interest content open to SAABs as well.

I am curious how the original poster of this thread fared with his own magazine enterprise.

Cheers,

Ryan Douthit
Subiesport Magazine
http://www.subiesport.com (http://www.subiesport.com/)

john tanner
14-06-05, 12:14 PM
i am sick of spending the best part of 4 quid on a magazine to find out the same old trash being tested and many many advertisements sometimes around 40% of the mag is advertising. If i used a mag to buy a new car what i want to read is what it is like to live with, how it feels in a morning how it smells what little quirks it has good or bad. Too many times you read in the popular mags their long term tests and it starts off...Well went to the mother in laws in cheshire over the weekend 180 mile round trip bird hit the windscreen Blah Blah bloody blah. i am not interested in this i want to know when he loaded the car if his luggage fitted in and what the drive was like pulling power in the gears,comfort,Wind noise boot space etc...Ah well rant over :cheesy:

escalator guru
14-06-05, 08:19 PM
i am sick of spending the best part of 4 quid on a magazine to find out the same old trash being tested and many many advertisements sometimes around 40% of the mag is advertising. If i used a mag to buy a new car what i want to read is what it is like to live with, how it feels in a morning how it smells what little quirks it has good or bad. Too many times you read in the popular mags their long term tests and it starts off...Well went to the mother in laws in cheshire over the weekend 180 mile round trip bird hit the windscreen Blah Blah bloody blah. i am not interested in this i want to know when he loaded the car if his luggage fitted in and what the drive was like pulling power in the gears,comfort,Wind noise boot space etc...Ah well rant over :cheesy:

Consumer Reports, m'dear ;) I don't know if it's available in the UK but in the US and Canada, there's this great little organization that publishes that mag. It tells you all the stuff you really want to know about stuff- not just cars, but also computers, vaccuum cleaners, special juices. Basically all the stuff people spend their money on. It's really good to have if you're making a big-ticket purchase (my mother never buys a new appliance without researching it that way-- going on 15 years with the same oven!). Best part is, no adverts. None whatsoever. So the reviews aren't going to be biased. I'm sure thre must be a similar agency where you are...

john tanner
15-06-05, 04:21 AM
Yes we have the Witch magazine that you have to subscribe to....Sorry about that got the wrong end of the stick....Feet before head and all that.:cheesy: Consumer Reports, m'dear ;) I don't know if it's available in the UK but in the US and Canada, there's this great little organization that publishes that mag. It tells you all the stuff you really want to know about stuff- not just cars, but also computers, vaccuum cleaners, special juices. Basically all the stuff people spend their money on. It's really good to have if you're making a big-ticket purchase (my mother never buys a new appliance without researching it that way-- going on 15 years with the same oven!). Best part is, no adverts. None whatsoever. So the reviews aren't going to be biased. I'm sure thre must be a similar agency where you are...

Cuba
15-06-05, 06:40 AM
I'm pretty well sorted. I go to a quarterly book sale from the libraries and muscle in on all the scientific americans and all the new scientist mags.
I read them on the dunny hehe.

Tomoose
15-06-05, 08:08 AM
I'm pretty well sorted. I go to a quarterly book sale from the libraries and muscle in on all the scientific americans and all the new scientist mags.
I read them on the dunny hehe.

HAH!

But seriously, like car review mags. Car and Driver and the sort. I like looking at the pretty pictures :cheesy:

Eugene
15-06-05, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=p.s i just thought of somethin else things like does it bring a smile 2 ur face every time u get in it like my Ruby does, they have no real passion fer cars. Thats why clarkson does well, because love him or hate him at least he's passionate. :roll: :cheesy:[/QUOTE]

talking of Clarkson, It was either last week or the week before he labelled Saab drivers as "nice people", not being a Clarkson fan my immediate reaction was patronising oaf!, was I being a little harsh?? :nono;

CleveSaab
15-06-05, 12:36 PM
That was in the pre-GM days when all SAABs were really SAABs.

You means when Saabs were Triumphs?!?
With attitudes like this is the exact reason why it never went over 2,500 subscribers. The magazine had that same attitude, I hear. Don't change with the times...you die.
Maybe if they would have inlcuded the "un-Saaby" NG900 it would have gone way up. I'd subscribe.

Given the current state of GM's messing with SAAB DNA (using GM and Subaru products to round out the numbers) I think it would be insane to launch a SAAB-only magazine. The base just isn't large enough to build a profitable business from.

Yea, OK. :roll: Have you seen our 9-3SS foum? 1,000's of possible subscribers there...o but wait. That's not a Saab?!?
Even our 9-2X forum is starting to take off.
What are these people supposed to buy?!?

The market is huge. It is there. It is untapped.