Just purchased 1992 9K Turbo - need help [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Just purchased 1992 9K Turbo - need help

benoberon
09-04-06, 02:16 PM
Greetings. Found a nice car to add to my small collection - ('87 9K turbo & '80 900T 5-door w/16V transplant). I would appreciated suggestions on where to start in diagnosing low turbo boost in the '92 2.3 turbo. It feels much slower than my daughter's '93 9K CS Turbo/2.3, and my boost guage goes only 1/3 into the yellow....nowhere near the orange. I've checked as many vacuum hoses as I could find without crawling underneath yet. It has Bosch plugs, near new, but I've ordered the NGK which the book calls for. The TCS light is on, but the car is obviously not running in the "limp home" mode....it starts and drives just fine, except for the low boost. Also, the Air Cond. does not come on, and the cruise control does not work....(indicator light does not come on, either). I have checked the clutch and brake pedal cut-off switches. Does anyone know where the cruise control unit is located on the '92? On my '87, it is located on the right side, in the housing containing the cabin blower. Does the '92 rely on vacuum to operate also? Thanks for any help out there.
Peace - Ben

Jim Mesthene
09-04-06, 04:58 PM
If it were in limp-home, it would have only base boost, the A/C and cruise control wouldn't work, and the TCS light would be on.

benoberon
10-04-06, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your response, Jim. It is exactly as you described.....only about base boost, and the rest. I guess I thought limp home was nearly un-driveable, like 40 mph max.
Peace - Ben

benoberon
10-04-06, 11:42 AM
Any suggestions on where to start on diagnosing the TCS? Or is this something beyond the average 'home mechanic'?
Thanks,
Ben

Marrk
10-04-06, 02:23 PM
guess I thought limp home was nearly un-driveable, like 40 mph max.
You can do well over the ton in limp home mode, it just depends how strong your right leg muscles are! :cheesy:

You need to get the fault codes read by the dealer, ensure he uses ISAT not TECH II as the fault codes don't necessary correspond from one communicator to another.

benoberon
11-04-06, 10:58 AM
Thanks much for your advice, Maark.

Peace - Ben