Extending life of mild steel exhuast? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Extending life of mild steel exhuast?

shortlid
3rd April 2006, 07:55 PM
I was talking to a guy at one of our trusty online SAAB part houses. He stated to me that spraying my exhuast system down with high temp Silicone would keep it from rusting out from the exterior so fast? True or False, I have never heard of this, trick??:confused:

SaxyWeed
4th April 2006, 12:04 AM
It makes sense. Provides a barries from road salts and water. But I always thought the real problem was the mufflers rusting from the inside out.

djtaylor
4th April 2006, 06:00 AM
Very much they corrode from the inside out. For every gallon of petrol burnt, a gallon of water is produced which if the exhaust isn't hot, condenses and along with the acidic by products of combustion eats away from the inside.

David.

shortlid
4th April 2006, 08:44 AM
Should help though, most of my systems rust and crack at welds!

Jim Mesthene
4th April 2006, 09:04 AM
I was talking to a guy at one of our trusty online SAAB part houses. He stated to me that spraying my exhuast system down with high temp Silicone would keep it from rusting out from the exterior so fast? True or False, I have never heard of this, trick??:confused:

He's gotta be pulling your leg.

johncc
4th April 2006, 09:37 AM
You would be better off with cold galvanizing spray, I'd think. This (http://www.clearcoproducts.com/cold_galvanize_sprays.html) kind of thing, good for up to 400C continuous.

djtaylor
4th April 2006, 01:54 PM
You would be better off with cold galvanizing spray, I'd think. This (http://www.clearcoproducts.com/cold_galvanize_sprays.html) kind of thing, good for up to 400C continuous.
Good luck spraying the *inside* of the exhaust system! :)

johncc
4th April 2006, 06:49 PM
It might be worth it for the hanging brackets up near the front... the exhaust will not rot from the inside so much there, and the hangers seem very prone to corrosion - on the JT at least.

9000freak
4th April 2006, 09:57 PM
Good luck spraying the *inside* of the exhaust system! :)

Hey if you get enough of it, you could run it through the pipes. Or put it into a pressure painter and just spray through the pipes. It may help:cheesy:

djtaylor
5th April 2006, 04:11 AM
Hey if you get enough of it, you could run it through the pipes. Or put it into a pressure painter and just spray through the pipes. It may help:cheesy:
I think the solution is a stainless steel exhaust ;)

9000freak
5th April 2006, 03:42 PM
Just forked out $300 for cat back;) Spraying seemed like too much work

shortlid
5th April 2006, 03:59 PM
Just forked out $300 for cat back;) Spraying seemed like too much work

Can you tell me WHERE in NH did your cat back for only $300! Is it stock 2 1/4" mild steel?