Performance air filters and Superchips! [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Performance air filters and Superchips!

Mark P
19-02-03, 04:40 AM
Just wondered if anyone else was running a standard-fit performance air filter element in their GM?

I just installed an Abbott Racing IPG filter element and it made quite a dramatic improvement... :cheesy:

However, before you all start getting too excited.... I ought to point out that the standard filter that was in, was almost completely black and had obviously been in there a while (something I'll be discussing loudly with the garage who did a full service less than 3 weeks ago)..

I'm guessing that the old filter was almost completely clogged, so the immediate apparent increase in power isn't such a surprise, and even a new standard filter would have made some difference.

Still, it revs much more freely, especially beyond 4000rpm, and the combination of cold air (-3c this morning), improved breathing, and the psychological effect :o (I've paid 50**/$75 for it , so it will make me go faster :cheesy: ), has made quite a pleasant difference.

I did have another small mod done recently too, but I'm keeping quiet about that until another member of these boards has had it done too (and we compare!)

Mark P

** it is cleanable/reusable so it not such a rip-off as the price first suggests

Berniebgf
19-02-03, 06:33 AM
Ok..The bet's are on...what other mod have you installed...

My Guess is you have paid for one of thoughs funny Air Twirling devices that you put in the Air intake to get fuel saving and Power....Am I right?

Whats the Prize?

:cheesy:

Bernie

Mark P
19-02-03, 06:40 AM
Good guess.... but not correct! :roll: :cheesy:

Mark P

Munki
19-02-03, 12:35 PM
I did have another small mod done recently too, but I'm keeping quiet about that until another member of these boards has had it done too (and we compare!)
It's booked in for Thursday of next week... :cheesy:

Jeremy R.
19-02-03, 01:50 PM
I have a K&N air filter in mine, but I put it in at the same time I cut out the stock airbox tube and replaced it with a piece of 3" PVC sewer pipe. Before that I had a BSR Opti-flow intake, but it reduced low-end torque and made all sorts of bizarre sucking noises. The stock airbox with the 3" tube brought the torque back, and it doesn't seem any less powerful.

Berniebgf
19-02-03, 07:18 PM
Hmmmmm

Mark, give us a hint!!

Is it a new exhaust?

ERP
19-02-03, 10:25 PM
Munki - Aren't you getting new springs?

Munki
20-02-03, 02:26 PM
Munki - Aren't you getting new springs?
I am...but that's not what Mark's talking about... :cheesy:

saabkid37
25-02-03, 05:10 PM
this may be a dumb question...but does any sort of bolt on cold air intake exist? (like the ones for the stupid annoying rivers) or is everything pretty much a custom job or limited to a new filter?

the kid

Rob Sandey
27-02-03, 06:47 AM
Cool, Go Munki
Mark have you got the figures from having your upgrades done yet. I would be interested to see them
Cheers Rob

Mark P
27-02-03, 06:51 AM
I have, but I'm just waiting to see if Munki pips me with his... :cheesy:

Bear in mind that we're normally aspirated boys :oops: and every little helps!!

Jeremy R.
27-02-03, 01:29 PM
this may be a dumb question...but does any sort of bolt on cold air intake exist? (like the ones for the stupid annoying rivers) or is everything pretty much a custom job or limited to a new filter?

the kid

Sure. There are a couple of them, one from Speedparts and one from BSR. Since you're in the US, go to http://www.genuinesaab.com. Buried somewhere in their online catalog are both setups. If I remember right, the BSR Opti-flow is about $200 and the Speedparts is half that. They both have a metal heat shield that goes where the airbox currently is, a bent tube that connects to the air intake hose, and a conical air filter.

Tweek's Turbos
27-02-03, 07:15 PM
I know, its the remove the front bumber mod. :cheesy: