timing prob. any help appreciated [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: timing prob. any help appreciated

plc saab
31st March 2006, 08:57 PM
I replaced the tensioner assembly and harmonic balancer, I forgot to set the timing before I started it the first time, it didn't like that to much. I pulled the valve cover and aligned the notches on the cams. It is still not in time. I'm completely puzzled, any hints appreciated

djtaylor
1st April 2006, 07:29 AM
I replaced the tensioner assembly and harmonic balancer, I forgot to set the timing before I started it the first time, it didn't like that to much. I pulled the valve cover and aligned the notches on the cams. It is still not in time. I'm completely puzzled, any hints appreciated
Can you be more specific as to exactly what you've replaced? The timing chain tensioner doesn't interfere with the timing and if by the harmonic balancer you mean the crankshaft pulley then that doesn't change anything either.

Or did you do a full chains and sprockets swap including the balance shaft chains?

It's possible that you've caused some valves to hit pistons but looking on the optimistic side, you need to line the notches up on the cams with those notches on the cam bearing caps and make sure the engine is at TDC when doing this.

David.

plc saab
1st April 2006, 12:03 PM
thank you for the reply, I only replaced the tensioner assembly and the crank pulley only. not the chain. It ran perfectly before I replaced these items. when I started the car the timing was off. I pulled the valve cover alligned the markes on the cam, and it is still not firing correctly. close but not correct, I tried to advance and retard with out any luck. still puzzled. thanks again

Jim Mesthene
1st April 2006, 12:37 PM
It's still unclear if you replaced the timing chain tensioner assembly or the serpentine belt tensioner assembly. Neither one will change either cam timing or ignition timing; nor will changing the harmonic balancer.
If you subsequently moved the timing chain on the cams, and rotated the engine, it is possible that valves are now bent.

djtaylor
1st April 2006, 01:58 PM
thank you for the reply, I only replaced the tensioner assembly and the crank pulley only. not the chain.
As both Jim and I have said, if you didn't move the chain, there's no way that the cam timing could have been changed by replacing either the tensioner or the crank pulley. Why did you change the chain tensioner though, it's not exactly a wear item?

What year is the car? I'm presuming that you've not got Direct Ignition but a distributor which is what you've been moving to adjust ignition timing?

David.

plc saab
1st April 2006, 09:59 PM
thanks again for your help, after retracing my steps I realized that the aperture disc I was sent was the wrong one, causing all of my problems. still getting use to the 9000,s, I've only had 900's until 3 months ago. Thanks again for taking time to help.