How to spook a Scoobie driver [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: How to spook a Scoobie driver

djtaylor
31st March 2006, 08:56 AM
My work colleague drives a Subaru WRX Sti and thinks it's the dogs b******s. My 1993 Aero just sits quietly getting used now and again and one of those trips was last week. At the end of my long, tiring journey, near to home I came off the M1, up the slip road to traffic lights and there in front of me was a WRX Sti at the lights.

If you're expecting yet another drag racing yarn that's not what happened, it was more fun than that. It was dark which is a key element ;)

So with the Scoobie in front, we're both going left up the slip road to the A52 dual carriageway. The lights went green and the Scoobie driver did what they always seem to do which was move off and then floor it. This was pretty evident due to the noise and smoke trail (aside from the performance). Now i've always been curious to know how the 1993 Aero would compare but never wanted to get into a silly race but this was an opportunity not to be missed so being behind but not aggressively so, I too floored it.

We both accelerated up the slip road with nothing between us as far as performance in 2nd, then to 3rd and if it hadn't been for a car already on the dual carriageway we might have seen some interesting results in 3rd.

What happened next was the most fun though, I don't think Mr Scoobie was expecting anyone to keep up and this clearly spooked him because although the road was clear (we both joined in front of the only car), he pegged at 60mph. I had two choices, either continue past which might have incited him to think this was sport and an opportunity for a race which I didn't want so I too sat behind him at 60mph.

He slowly crept up to 70mph and I maintained an equal pace. For whatever personal reason he had and I can think of a few, he certainly wasn't expecting anyone to match him during his little drag session and was clearly unsure about what would have happened had he tried to blast off again.

Maybe he thought I was an unmarked car but either way it amused me and the best bit was, neither of us broke the speed limit either ;)

My old stock Aero did itself proud.

David.

ragtopcav
31st March 2006, 09:06 AM
You've got less powertrain loss and more torque; he'd probably run rings around you on a circuit though [if he can really drive - that's the bit that matters, imho]

PeterGibons
31st March 2006, 09:21 AM
Nice job giving that guy a piece of humble pie.:cheesy: Here's a forum that allows postings for racing. I like to go there and compare all the different cars.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124

djtaylor
31st March 2006, 10:04 AM
You've got less powertrain loss and more torque; he'd probably run rings around you on a circuit though [if he can really drive - that's the bit that matters, imho]
Undoubtably he would. As I said, it was just a little legal amusement but he clearly spent some moments thinking about what was behind. :)

john tanner
31st March 2006, 04:38 PM
It is surprising how well our cars do in these "real" circumstances, a couple of years ago when my neighbour and i had a play him in his Terzzo Impeezza and me in mine at certain stages on the straights i was pushing him..not enough to pass but on the twisty bits it was a different story..It is fun though when these little jaunts take place..I am sure he will be crying into his lager top:cheesy:

cassonian
1st April 2006, 01:23 PM
I too last week had a bit of Derbyshire scoobie action whilst on the A50. I caught up a WRX at a roundabout as he was only crawling along and we came off the roundabout along side each other. He quickly realised this to be a challenge and had we been at a stop then no doubt the 4WD would have seen me off, but since we were both coming off a roundabout in 2nd the story was quite different.

Both dead equal until I hit 3rd gear then to my surprise he couldn't keep up. He tried it on again off the slip road onto the A50 from behind me but again my Aero was simply too quick for him. Unexpected bonus really, made my day at work better anyway, I wasn't 'up for it' I simply caught him up but he didn't seem to want to let me past! It was a 51 plate too so quite a bit newer than my car! :lol:

Chris 9-5
1st April 2006, 01:35 PM
he clearly spent some moments thinking about what was behind. :)

"Saab shock" my son calls it :p

Kinda......."erm what's that big old saloon thing............right behind me :o "

cassonian
1st April 2006, 01:48 PM
"Saab shock" my son calls it :p

Especially if, like mine it only has the tiny 'turbo' badge on the front grille and nothing else. It's quite funny if you have some rep in a big executive car (BMW, Merc etc) trying to push you along on say an A road or something and you just floor it, the look on their faces always makes me smile! :cheesy:

Marrk
1st April 2006, 02:12 PM
Just come off the A66 and I obviously upset the driver of a very normal looking N reg scooby by overtaking him as I was in a hurry, but due to the road and traffic I didn't overtake anyone else as I knew the Keswick bypass dual carriageway was coming up. He was about 400 yards behind and I spotted him closing fast, I stayed in 4th and as the road opened up hit the pedal and he was still behind me from 55-125, didn't look like he was gaining or losing ground. My aero isn't standard but its times like this when I wish I was in my Carlsson....;oops:

Chris 9-5
1st April 2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah but he was changing gear frantically :cheesy:

nutcase
1st April 2006, 02:20 PM
At least your cars look reasonably modern. I feel sorry for those I blast by in the 99T :lol: Ok,part of that might be the oil slick I leave behind ;oops:

i want an aero
1st April 2006, 02:28 PM
:lol: it's when they look and say but it's a saab;oops: ;)

cassonian
1st April 2006, 02:35 PM
55-125

What............? You would never catch me exceeding our beloved 70mph limit - that's just not done in a Saab! :lol:

(Only got 3 points at the minute, SP50 speeding on the motorway!)

i want an aero
1st April 2006, 02:36 PM
:o never catch me speeding;) , and i have a clean licence:lol:

Jezzadee
1st April 2006, 02:52 PM
I did one today. A big Audi. He'd been tailgating me all the way through the 40, so when the dual carriageway came up I held it in 4th just at spool up, waited for him to pull out to pass me and then I hit it as we passed the national speed limit sign. He stayed out in lane 2 for about 10 seconds, falling further and further behind, realised he hadn't a hope and moved back in again, with me 100m ahead and pulling hard at 1.2 bar. Next 30 zone he tailgated me again, so when we left the village I dropped him again. :lol:

cassonian
1st April 2006, 03:12 PM
He'd been tailgating me all the way through the 40

That really winds me up. To be fair I don't get that many people trying to push me along, they don't notice the 9k really. We also have a Lupo GTi (other halfs car, she says Saabs are 'too big'!) and everyone wants to race you in that, even old dears in Micras it seems! Must be that GTi badge I think. :evil:

We live in a village and a 30mph limit and people that speed in 30 and 40 limits really get to me. Sometimes at night we get boy racers passing our house at 60+, one day someone will be killed, the roads are really narrow. People tailgating you through a speed limited road is becoming more and more common, most times now I just slow down, that really winds them up. Recently I slowed so much I actually stopped and the guy behind me was so close that he had to reverse to get past me! It's just madness. :x

Still I have managed a few points in my 17 years of driving, only got 3 current ones and they have all been for speeding on the motorway. I drove back from London last friday up the M40 and everyone in the fast lane was doing 90mph+ all the was back!

Marrk
1st April 2006, 04:03 PM
Well I normally stick to around 75 on cruise on the M6 northbound coming home but today I broke the law and was cruising at between 90-100, this was due to the fact that Coderleezzer Rice was heading south and had a rolling road block with more trafplod and police outriders on bikes than was ever on duty during the last Miners Strike!! I lost count!! So armed with that bit of info me and the rest of the majority of motorists felt fairly confident there wouldn't be anyone police hiding on the slip roads we sat at a very comfortable and safe speed for the conditions of the afternoon. Thank you America!

Although why the police thought they needed such a huge present to protect 1 car full of people is beyond me.:nono; :nono;

cassonian
1st April 2006, 04:36 PM
It's 85-90 all the time for me I'm afraid, traffic conditions permitted. If you are doing 70 on the motorway nowadays you get 7.5 ton trucks passing you! The one we have at work will cruise at 80 unladen! :o

NFG
1st April 2006, 04:44 PM
My old stock Aero did itself proud.

David.

A responsible bit of fun had by all, well done!

N