Whitey - The project T16s [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Whitey - The project T16s

Murray
27th March 2006, 06:49 AM
Well, the car has been christened (Whitey) and i have been a propper weekend warrior on this one! very pleased with myself this weekend as i have finally mounted and piped up the Volvo intercooler.

I am going to use this thread to keep you updated/ask questions!

The first one is intercooler related.

I have got it on, i have a great pipe from the turbo off a 940, nice bend that points things in the right direction, then i have a pipe off the compressor side of the intercooler that looked good until i put the bumper back on and it crushed the pipe! (the intercooler was sat too far forward, the bumper has not moved it back into the position that it should be in!)

i am stuck on that one! i will take some photos and post them asap (my brother has my camera at the moment!)

what pipe are people using from the compressor side of the intercooler? (i havent clocked my turbo)

Now that things are lighter in the evenings i will be doing more work on the car after work. i am going to be meshing the grille soon and i have rubbed down my R19 bonnet vent so its ready for primer and fitting.

Once i have figured out this pipe issue i will be putting her in for an MOT and fixing the timing chain then we will see whats really wrong with her!!

Pictures to follow as always!

philb
27th March 2006, 07:33 AM
Black and white, I like it. I have red and green, was checking out a blue car last week, purely by coincidence :)

Si
27th March 2006, 07:56 AM
Can you make posts sticky on SC? It would be good for everyone modding there 900's to have just 1 post to update as they upgrade stuff, rather than loads of different posts relating to the same car.

I've got alot planned over the next few months as the cars comming off the road to be worked on, hopefully by may/june i'll have it sorted.

Tomarse
27th March 2006, 08:04 AM
Can you make posts sticky on SC? It would be good for everyone modding there 900's to have just 1 post to update as they upgrade stuff, rather than loads of different posts relating to the same car.

Just search back for your thread and keep updating it. Works for us in the 99 forum - home of epic threads! :lol:

philb
27th March 2006, 08:05 AM
It would be nice to do this. Currently 900aero does this, it would be nice if SC did it also, given the wider readership. The only thing is that it would really need a separate forum.

pda
27th March 2006, 10:13 AM
Murray, what Volvo IC are you using 740/760 or 940 one ?

on my T8 I'm using a 740/760 IC ;) most of the pipe work is volvo 740/760 plus odds & ends from volvo 940, Saab 9000.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/bussman/DSC00663.jpg

you can see the 940 intake pipe going down to a Saab 9000 throttle body elbow
the it goes 70mm volvo (740/760) intake pipe & volvo 70mm elbow into the IC

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/bussman/DSC00657.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/bussman/DSC00659.jpg

any question just ask

HTH Paul

__________________________________________________ _________
a car with dashing looks to match sparkling performance....................

Murray
27th March 2006, 10:50 AM
Hey paul, i have a 740 intercooler, its the same as your one, i am using a T5 inlet pipe from the throttle body side of the intercooler that goes under the headlight (not the shortest root but its clean) that connects to the original throttle body pipe (the lead weight "Teubo intercooler" pipe) via a corner piece.

on the turbo side i have a 940 pipe that looks like yours but its all one piece, this is coupled to a corner piece onto a rather crused pipe that goes into the intercooler! i will try and get the photos this evening with my phone and post them!
:cheesy:

edit: oooohhhh and im in ipswich over the easter weekend so if you are about i might pop over and say HI!

Murray
27th March 2006, 02:16 PM
Woohoo! pictures! i wish i could have taken more but to be honest i would have smashed my camera up! it drove me mad trying to figure this out! i have so many intercooler pipes!!! and my hands look like bloody stumps for all the cuts and scrapes!:roll:

My spanking top pipe! (love that one!)
http://uk.geocities.com/ts_saab/intercooler1.jpg

The kinky issue! :nono;
http://uk.geocities.com/ts_saab/intercooler2.jpg

The volvo 850T5 inlet pipe on the "outlet" (oooh non conformist!)
http://uk.geocities.com/ts_saab/intercooler3.jpg

Murray
27th March 2006, 02:16 PM
Sorry, had to break it into 2 posts.....

The original pipe from the throtle body attatched to some kinky 740 intercooler pipe and some "angle grinder butchered" pipe to make a straight join!
http://uk.geocities.com/ts_saab/intercooler4.jpg

Looking almost "human" again! front end replaced (mainly, just got to cut the lower spolier to fit!)
http://uk.geocities.com/ts_saab/intercooler5.jpg

84Saab900TURBO
27th March 2006, 05:58 PM
Well, I can't quite think it through properly without seeing it, but it seems like the kinked pipe needs to be either a) farther back b) farther down c) farther up, or d) farther forwards right:cheesy:;)? I bet if you just cut the last 1" or so off of one of those pipes in there then it won't kink. Just figure out which way the pipe needs to move in order for it to not kink and then cut one of the pipes on that side so that the kinked pipe moves in the proper direction.

Hope you work it out without too much trouble:).

FATE
27th March 2006, 10:16 PM
Wow, im doing the exact same install right now for the second time .why dont you try running the pipe work underneath the car to avoid the kinks.:)

Murray
28th March 2006, 04:17 AM
Wow, im doing the exact same install right now for the second time .why dont you try running the pipe work underneath the car to avoid the kinks.:)

Sadly, i live in nottingham and they love the speed ramps, my black one already hits the floor at times and i have to stop dead to get over them!:nono; my car is not lowered yet! the white one is getting lowered so it think the pipe work underneath would be in-practical (also i dont want to clock the turbo!):cheesy:

Si
28th March 2006, 04:32 AM
why don't you experiment with tilting the radiator, see if you can get the IC the other way up and run the pipework over the top, would be a hell of alot shorter and you'll run less risk of grounding out on speed bumps etc.

Murray
28th March 2006, 05:35 AM
The volvo intercooler is wider than the radiator gap and wont fit in the gap with the end tanks at the top! they hang out the sides under the towing eyes! the way its done seems to work well but i just need to figure out that one pipe, and with some custom piping and a propper mounting then i think things will be much neater!

ejenner
28th March 2006, 06:23 AM
that sounds like a Saab 9000 intercooler. I thought the volvo one fitted properly? Maybe you could cut the frame at the top of the gap so the ends of the intercooler fit.

Saab-Daniel
28th March 2006, 06:38 AM
Nope, ejenner, the 9k IC wont fit with the in/outlet beneath the towing-eyes! :)

Daniel.

ejenner
28th March 2006, 06:57 AM
I think it does fit - but not very well.

pda
28th March 2006, 07:02 AM
Hi Murray,

I should be about over the Easter weekend ;) send me a PM for where & when

a few more pictures for you

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/bussman/DSC00803.jpg

stainless baby !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/bussman/DSC00798.jpg

HTH Paul

__________________________________________________ _______
a car with dashing looks to match sparkling performance.................

Murray
28th March 2006, 07:26 AM
I think it does fit - but not very well.

Yeah, definatly the volvo unit!

PDA - i will try and get it through its MOT before easter and i might be able to bring it over!:cheesy:

philjohnhb
28th March 2006, 10:41 AM
why don't you experiment with tilting the radiator, see if you can get the IC the other way up and run the pipework over the top, would be a hell of alot shorter and you'll run less risk of grounding out on speed bumps etc.

I have an early 9k ic with the inlet/outlets facing aft that I am about to fit. I was wondering if, by tilting the rad aft, there would be enough room for the ic to be mounted with the inlet/outlet pipes at the top? If this were possible the piping to and from the ic would be much shorter and there would be less unsightly pipework on show underneath.

Has anyone done this/measured it up?

philb
28th March 2006, 12:24 PM
I've got the 9k ic with the downwards facing outlets, and it wouldn't even fit between the headlights, but I suppose with the aft facing outlets, theres a chance. Have a go anyway.

Murray
31st March 2006, 05:50 PM
Hey, im back with an update, Whitey is currently at Nottingham Saab having some love lavished on it by Weston, who has once again come up trumps!! The MOT is sorted, CV joint, headlight glass and some bulbs! how happy can one guy get! i am letting the garage do the work in the interest of a speedy recovery! my flat mate has told me there is a bit of white smoke at the moment, going to have to check that one, but she should be good for the Watton rolling road day, retro car show, fixing of the wing vent in crewe, and the august track day! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Murray
9th April 2006, 12:58 PM
Well, today there has been some more progress, purely cosmetic this time, i have cleaned out the interior completely! i have removed all the spare parts and tools, hoovered up whats left of the head lining padding and all the other crap that was floating about in there and i have fabreezed the interior! its looking very nice (apart from the dodgy purple seats!)

My brother still has my carmera! (a week my ....) so i will have to use my mobile to take some pictures, i will post them seperatly as its raining at the moment! i am also working on the whale tail, i was tempted by one on ebay but the damage to the rubber on that one is on the outside and can be seen, where as mine looks mint from the outside, if i can just get the cracks to bond then it will be great! the white part has been polised and i have realised that i am going to have to do the repair one screw bit at a time as they need to be clamped down to make sure the join is tight and neat! i have put the first screw in, seated it nicely and packed it out with no more nails, then i got some cardboard, punched a whole in it and placed it over the screw, this is to give more pressure around the whole hole!

I then got some duck tape and taped around the rubber section (with cardboard under it for protection) and used a g-clamp to apply yet more pressure! it is now sat by the radiator in the living room drying! i will have a look at it later this evening and see how its getting on and if i need to think of another way to do it!

This recent cosmetic attack is because i intend to drive the old girl to norfolk for the easter weekend, i am going to tax it on thursday and put it ont he road! the black on is in need of a new clutch so i would rather not use it too much at the moment!

also, while cleaning the boot, i realised that i have not only been given the rear wiper motor, but the loom, the washer pipe, the switch and the wiper arm with a blade on it! i am thinking this will be moved to ebay to further fund the project, oh, and my Red box sold for 121 including postage, which is ironically to the next town in norfolk to the one i am going to!! lol and the intercooler is currently on ebay too, i stupidly put it up for a 10 day auction so i am waiting on that one!

I will post the pictures this evening for you all to look at! :cheesy:

Murray
20th April 2006, 01:57 PM
Ok, so the plot thickens and my saab nut status deepens! i have just bought another car! lol its a 92 k plate LPT 4 door, if its not going to go back on the road we are going to have an engine, gearbox and brake transplant into whitey and the rest will be sold for funds for the rest of the project! :cheesy:

Murray
24th April 2006, 05:49 PM
Ok, so i have been a busy boy this weekend! managed to a do a load more to the car and only spend a tenner lol:cheesy:

the main thing i have done which i am dead proud of is fix my whale tail!! i put it back on this evening and its looking great:cheesy: not quite good as new, but considering the state it was in when i got it i feel i have done a great job. i need to take some photos but i will get onto that tomorrow afternoon in the light! the low down on the repair:
I removed all the metal plates in the rubber (these were changed to aluminium and coins! by the previous owner. the system seems to work ok so i have stuck to it, i bought an extra strong glue, not a super glue, i tried no more nails but it was crap! so this was thick enough to do some filling and strong enough to work! i stuck the metal parts back in and glued them in nice and strong, left it for the recomended 2 hours before moving it, then I mounted the rubber back onto the spoiler so that it didnt loose its shape. it then stayed on the living room floor for a day, then i tightened it up a bit and left it for another day to set properly! then i cleaned the rubber with the old autoglym bumper treatment and admired my work! so this evening it went back on! am i chuffed!? damn right i am!!:cheesy:

The rear wing on the car has a crease and a dent in it so i said i was going to try and reduce/remove it, started to remove the interior panel and then went nuts, the boot floor, the rear bench, the whole back seat and all the rear seatbelts, shes looking a bit bare now! lol

once i had done with that i took the airbox and funny funnel thing out the engine bay, then i sprayed gunk all over that part of the engine bay as it was covered in oil and other junk and jetwashed it off! its all looking much better! i need to replace the dump valve, but i think i am going to put an atmospheric one on there so i am going to replace the induction pipe with an alluminium one when i put the filter on!

for those of you who are still awake, i have a question about engine swaps! i might be about to bite off more than i can chew, but i have now also got a K reg LPT that is running but not road legal, i am picking it up on saturday so i may have a lucas ignition LPT to drop into whitey along with its newer and stronger gear box!! i have all the bits to make it FPT out of whitey (fmic apc knock sensor etc...) but am i getting myself into a major mission with the bosch to lucas swap!? please help!:cheesy:

ejenner
24th April 2006, 06:46 PM
Do you simply mean your intending to swap the complete engine unit out of the LPT and into the project car? If your only doing it for the gearbox then you may as well save yourself the hassle of swapping the electronic gizmos and simply swap the trannies.

Murray
25th April 2006, 06:30 AM
Alas, the lpt only has 140000 on the clock and whitey has 183000, i know whiteys gear box has issues and the engine needs a new timing chain and waterpump, but i am planning on doing a head swap, the lpt should be in much better condition so i would like to put the whole engine in!

Saab-Daniel
25th April 2006, 09:42 AM
No problem in putting the whole engine in, just keep the electrical parts from the old car. You need to remove sensors and so on from the old engine and fit them to the new one (incl. injectors), then you can run the car with the original fuel-system and so on.

Daniel.

Murray
25th April 2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! whitey has been posing with his brother today and the results are photos for you!!

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/whitey1.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/whitey2.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/whitey3.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/whitey4.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/whitey5.jpg

Looking good eh!!? i have been thinking about graphics for it and i have come up with a wicked plan, i am going to stick to the swedish theme (there isnt one yet apart from the fact its a saaaaaab!) and i am going to make something custom that i will hopefully have ready for retro in june! watch this space for designs and ideas! (i had to get rid of the smileys so i could post! :( not fair lol)

Murray
12th May 2006, 10:05 AM
The plot thickens! (and my bank balance thins off) i have just aquired a very clean JT 3" pipe from Jaty in London! its something of a mission moving it from Battersea to Euston on the trains and underground and i have to take it back to Nottingham on the train this afternoon! its monstrous, it really looks like a drain pipe! I am very impressed though.:cheesy:

Also, on wednesday night i gave the car a really good clean and polish, it has come up a treat, there are still some parts of the paint work that are goingto need some more love and attention but its lookin better than i could have imagined!

I keep thinking retro is in June, its not, its in July, so i have a bit more time to sort things out which is nice!

The APC move should happen this weekend as well as the exhaust being fitted with a bit of luck, i am also getting my 3rd saab tomorrow. it comes with a low(ish) mileage engine and gearbox and its an LPT so i am hoping for good things from it, i will be selling the parts like the whale tale and wood dash *(this is not an advert) to fund the white car project and hopefully now that i have realised that santa pod is in july i might take on the engine swap before it happens. watch this space :cheesy: *(any offers of help will be greatfully recieved with bed beer and breakfast thrown in for volunteers!):cheesy:

Photos of the exhaust + car to follow when i get home tonight if the weather is not too bad!:cheesy:

Si
12th May 2006, 10:17 AM
Good luck! i think there will be a few off us rushing around like nutters before it, i'm prob gonna go an annual leave the week before so i can get mine sorted!

Just contemplating whether or not to get some Fibreglass Carlsson Bumpers at the moment:D .

Murray
12th May 2006, 10:20 AM
Fibreglass carlsson bumbers ey..... sounds interesting, i take it they are replica? you got any pics? i am getting some wide arches tomorrow and i have seen a lovely 900 T16s at Ingate in battersea when i went to pick up my zorst, it was very nicely done and i think i may have convinced the owner to bring it to retro! :cheesy:

Si
12th May 2006, 10:37 AM
A place called Malbrad does them(they also do one for a flatnose so will be quite an interesting look), i've emailed just waiting for a reply, prob will give them a call in a week or two if i don't hear anything, guess that grease monkeys prefere the phone:D .

Alex
12th May 2006, 01:30 PM
Good luck! i think there will be a few off us rushing around like nutters before it, i'm prob gonna go an annual leave the week before so i can get mine sorted!

Just contemplating whether or not to get some Fibreglass Carlsson Bumpers at the moment:D .

:D :D Mine currently has no turbo and only one front brake on, and no fluid in. ;oops:

Si
12th May 2006, 04:58 PM
:D :D Mine currently has no turbo and only one front brake on, and no fluid in. ;oops:

Pah! Meer childs play:lol: , once i've put a side gate on my house and put some some grass seed down (hopefully tomorrow) i'm going to be working on the car every weekend till July, got this little list to do:o

All brake pads, back disc's, all CV boots, alternator and all pullies, change oil filter/oil, drain coolant, remove FMIC radiator, exhaust manifold & turbo, clutch release bearing, replace manifold & put big turbo on, finish fabbing up 3" exhaust, make a new Wastegate actuator mount, make a new air mass meter to turbo pipe (needs to be 3" at the turbo compressor end), hopefully build new FMIC & pipes, get 5th injector & WI on, take boot off to clean up and mount Carlsson 9000 spoiler, then start working on the body work to do a respray, and get it MOT'd somewhere amongst that lot:cheesy: oh and figure out why it was running lean, so full fuel system flow & pressure test maybe replace fuel pump

phew!

ejenner
12th May 2006, 06:52 PM
bla, bla, bla... can't wait till we get to Santa Pod. Should be a good laugh. :lol:

Murray
14th May 2006, 06:16 PM
Ok! i got my red car this weekend, it was a bit hit and miss, it took from 9:15am until 6:30pm to get the car, the trailer was HUGE! at 18 feet long! only when i got back did i discover the weight of the trailer and the car was more than likely a *little* bit too much to tow but the old girl did a great job! (although i barely got into 3rd in wales!)

here is a picture! - Impressively the black car is still pulling strong and running nicely, i thought this might be the end of it when i originally tried to pull away! but for my first ever experience towing with a trailer it was a great drive! although i would not recomend it (short distances fine! but nottingham to mid wales!!!):nono; the red car is a sh*t box but i am unleashing the nationally renowned Murray love on the body work! just having a bit of trouble starting it! my flat mate asked if i pulled it out of a swamp!

There were some cool cars there, including a stub nose t16s and a later T16s too, the guy who met me drove a gorgeous T16 too with lots of Abbott goodies on it! i have piccies of them too but its late and i want my bed! i will try and get them up tomorrow!:cheesy:

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/Forsaabcentral/Towing%20011.jpg

Alex
14th May 2006, 06:25 PM
The 9000 really does make a much better tow car than the 900. Longer wheelbase, wider track, shorter rear overhang and heavier as well.

ejenner
14th May 2006, 07:34 PM
and it's less paranoid about it's saggy rear end as well.

Murray
20th May 2006, 07:07 PM
Today has been a great day for me and a bad day for nottingham!

My JT pipe got fitted, i taxed and insured the car and took it for a spin!!:cheesy:

What can i say? The JT pipe is :cheesy: AWESOME:cheesy: and married to the volvo FMIC and a cone air filter the car goes like a peadophile chasing kids on rollerskates!! it is unbelievable! the car has such long legs, on the motorways as always i took it steady, but on the sixty limits it was storming, overtaking in this car is something else!!

On my way back i was overtaking with the last style M3 (P reg) and was leaving him behind, when he came along side and gave me a big grin and a wave we hit some dual carriage way and went for it, it was real fast and started to pull away but he had to work it to make it happen! after that run i noticed my temp guage was on the red and i pulled over to find my coolant boiling and releasing steam from the filler cap - i later pulled up at a garage and it swallowed a litre of antifreeze and a fair bit of water (i had to bleed the system it had used so much - water pump is shot)

The black car still feels brutal and more rapid but its more agile and seems lighter on its feet, the white car was pulling through 90 in 3rd and sounded unbelievable when it was doing it!:cheesy:

The day came to an end when a drunk guy walked in front of me at some lights (mine were green) and it always happens when you are driving normally, i emergency stopped and he started back to the curb, as soon as i let off the brakes the sod started walking again until he was very gently nudged by the bumper and got wasted on the floor! the other guy at the crossing told me he fell but he pulled off my number plate so we helped him on his way (he was fine!) decided to call it a night after that!

ejenner
21st May 2006, 03:30 AM
the car goes like a peadophile chasing kids on rollerskates!!

Like that. not heard it before and made me chuckle. :lol:

Murray
22nd May 2006, 10:10 AM
I have decided that as the exhaust sounds so good i am going to drop on a sound clip of it, at speed, with a mike taped just above the pipe! lol its going to be great!

Murray
23rd May 2006, 04:02 PM
OK, the sound clip is on hold until i can get me a mike with a big furry bit on the end! in the mean time i have taken my modded APC out of the black car and spent most of last night trying to tune it in the white car! i had no luck what-so-ever as the APC valve died almost instantly! in an attempt to stop it from being a total loss, this evening i have dropped it back into the black car.

Wow! :cheesy:

i see why people do this now!! i took the car for a spin and it was hungry to go, then i pulled up and tweaked the pots a bit more, mental! it now pulls a bar before i have put my foot to the floor! i havent adjusted the boost limiter on the black car so it hit the limiter in every gear but it went stonkingly quick! the white car should lap this up, i have tried a non-modded APC in the white one and the valve is still clacking away, i am going to swap them over and then soak the clacker in wd40 to see if I can sort it!

Watch this space!!

Si
23rd May 2006, 04:26 PM
Murray, i don't think it will be the valve itself playing up, try the links below, i've described the test proceedure a few times, 99% it will be down to either bad wiring/connectors on the Pressure Transducer, faulty transducer or a vac leak (also the knock detector can make the APC play up if it's not working properly).

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64936&page=1&pp=20

Also make sure the Wastegate actuator arm has'nt come off the WG it'self.

Murray
23rd May 2006, 06:23 PM
OK, its not the valve! i changed them over, they both work fine on the black car but neither work on the white one! when i disconnected the APC the valve worked ok too. but, when the APC was on the black car the valve was fine too! ggggraaaaghhh! i hate things like this, i have checked the line to the valve and they seem ok, there i a vacuum leak in the car behind the dash, but thats been there for ages! so its nothing new!

i will re-investigate tomorrow afternoon! i am going to order some vacuum line of the moose peeps tonight!

ejenner
24th May 2006, 06:33 AM
yeah there's lots of boost related vac line behind the dash. A leak down there could mess things up a bit.

Murray
25th May 2006, 05:52 PM
So, the new MBC came today, and some clear clusters that i put on the black car, i have a guage pod, a water pump and enough vacuum hose to wrap the car up in! (going to try and do both cars!) quick question, probably should have asked this before i bought the hose, but what size should i have got!? i got the stuff off moose parts and i think its looking a bit on the small side!:confused:

Anyway, im just too curious for my own good, put the MBC on the car today and the boost was mental, its set to its lowest level (i think - screwed all the way in) and it blew and intercooler pipe 3 times!! i turned the boost down a fair bit after that!

I have sorted the intercooler pipe now. It seems by cleaning them up with fairy liquid and an extra jubilee clip they are now hanging on! now when it boosts its unbelieveable!

In 1st i dont really bother, in 2nd i have given it a bit (to the middle of the red) and it slipped the clutch, in 3rd, when the turbo starts to pull it gets to about 60 then the clutch slips like nuts! the scary thing is that i havent planted my foot yet! only half way down on the accelerator!:o

So, me thinks a new clutch may be in order! before santa pod!!:cheesy:

nutcase
25th May 2006, 05:58 PM
3 or 4mm works fine. I have 4mm and am running waaaaaay over standard 99T boost and haven't had a problem yet. APC hoses need to be 6mm though.

ShadowWorks
26th May 2006, 12:01 AM
I remember when I had an MBC in my 900 and it was silly fast, i was scared to damaged the engine so i detuned it back onto the APC and then i came on here and started tuning it up again.

The only difference is a know a little bit about what am doing and the worst think that could happen to me happened so after i get another gear box, i am gonna go back to the MBC and watch the knock LED, I miss having driving, even though am getting fitter cycling;)

Murray
30th May 2006, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, is this the end for project Whitey!?

Over the weekend i changed all the vacuum hoses on the car and the heater fan motor (i am very proud, had the whole dash off and didnt break anything - although as always i have been left over with more screws than i started with lol) i also changed a fair number of the hoses on the black car!

Changing the hoses on the white one has not solved the boost leak, so i am going to change the 3way splitter by the boost limiter under the dash before looking for other parts in that area, its definatly down there! i have a photo

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/Vacuum/vacuum2.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/Vacuum/vacuum1.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/Vacuum/vacuum3.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/Vacuum/vacuum4.jpg

http://andrewmurray.me.uk/900turbo/Pictures/Whitecar/Vacuum/vacuum5.jpg

What has that got to do with the end i hear you ask???

The problem arose when i went to get a takeaway curry with my house mate in the black car!

Its less than a mile to the curry house and as we had to wait for 30 mins or so we decided to go for a cruise! almost straight away i felt the car miss in reverse (like something mechanical was slipping) this was confirmed when i pulled away from the next set of lights and there was a loud clunking and flapping noise from the engine, i pulled up and there was nothing obvious, so we towed it home in the white one.

It went into Nottingham Saab today and i hope Weston is preparing me for the worst but he thinks the diff may have died! i have a spare box but i am not looking forward to hearing how much it will cost and i think if its a lot i will have to sell the white car to fund it, as much as i love the white car, the black one is my baby!!

Murray
30th May 2006, 11:35 AM
Aghhhh! good news! (and bad) it was the diff! it has caused some amount of carnage in the box and needs a new one!

If i can get the gear box out of the red one and deliver it to them i can get it done for 300! i am going to get the box re-built as i think it has a problem with a synchro and also get a new clutch slipped in while its happening! the white car lives on me thinks! its not going to be cheap, but i have had a recon'd box put in a car before and it cost me nearer to 1000 so this, to me, is a blessing!

Next project - engine and gear box removal and then breaking the red car!:cheesy: - i have never done ANYTHING like this before and i am slightly soiling myself! lol

ejenner
30th May 2006, 05:06 PM
bah! tis easy... just more bolts to undo. WD40 may come in handy and you need an engine hoist as well. have you got one of them?

Murray
30th May 2006, 06:01 PM
have you got one of them?

Have i toss! lol i am going to have to try and rent/borrow/beg/steal one! i am looking at rental places to rent one for the time being! I spent this afternoon undoing all the hoses etc... i havent done the fuel line yet (going to leave that till last)

While its all out i am going to clean up the head on it and get it ready to go into whitey - whitey needs a new timing chain so i figure as this is a lower mileage one i will just swap them over!!

its going to all be out this weekend as Weston will be ready to do the work mid next week! :cheesy:

ejenner
30th May 2006, 06:43 PM
If you could be bothered with the hassle you could do it without using an engine hoist. unbolt the head from the block and remove that, then unbolt the block from the gearbox and remove it and then remove the gearbox.

I've bought an engine hoist now. I got the cheap one from Machine Mart. But before that I rented one from HSS. Since getting the device from Machine Mart I have removed three engines and fitted one. So it's almost paid for equivalent hire costs already.

Murray
10th August 2006, 12:42 PM
Well, some of you will have noticed, most of you wont!! lol this thread has been very quiet recently!

There is a good reason for that, Whitey has been limping around as my daily driver for the last couple of month due to the black one having no gear box to speak of!

That has all changed again, i have returned to trying to get it back into a road worthy state whilst continuing with the mods!

The water pump has been a big player in the recent downfall of whitey, it now gets through about 24 litres an hour (uses nearly as much water as petrol now!!!) and it literally p*sses out the bottom of the water pump!

I have made it my life mission to resolve this and failed so this morning i bit the bullet and drove it to the garage down the road to see if they could undo the bolt with air tools! they tried all sorts (not air tool though!) and in the end said if i leave it with them they will smash the pump off and extract the bolt! so i did!!

They must have seen it as a challenge because i returned 30 minutes later to find them still working on it (it wasnt booked in or anything) and the water pump gone! lol so they are sorting it out for me and when i get home with some luck my car will be a non leaker!!

Part of the water pump issue has resulted in the radiator disintegrating, that now needs to be replaced (the time it ran dry it basically fell apart)

Still needs a clutch

Front brakes sound like stone on stone when you use them! - to be replaced!

Hopefully over the weekend i will be fitting my new (well, its old now) HKS copy BOV now that i have the adapter kit for it.

I also put it on the strip at Santa Pod, bit gutted as they wouldnt let me run more than once due to water leaking but it did an 18.6 1/4 mile (i think it was 18.6 - it was slow whatever lol) and when i host and link to the video you will hear the clutch going, i think that when all the saab owners in the crowd winced lol :cheesy:

Sadly i have once again broken my camera so not many pictures to update you with, although i cleaned her up good and propper and did some cosmetic mods recently that i have photos of so i will try and get them on here ASAP!

I also made a short video of what life would be like if you were a camera mounted with duck tape on the rear bumper above a JT 3" pipe! lol and nearly managed to bring you:

:o"Intercooler Cam - 100mph 3 inches off the ground":o

but it went wrong! lol i will get that one though!

Watch this space!

Tomarse
10th August 2006, 02:49 PM
perhaps you should put the luxury mods (like the BOV) on hold until you get the essentials like the brakes and clutch sorted? ;)

Murray
10th August 2006, 03:41 PM
Yeah, i thought that but then i thought, naaahhhh thats too sensible, you dont need brakes when your clutch is shot! takes to long to go fast! lol no, seriously, i have the BOV anyway so i may as well fit it! give me something to do until i can afford a clutch lol:cheesy:

Murray
18th September 2006, 06:47 AM
So....the latest.....

I am poor! i have had 2 replacement gear boxes in the black car in the last 3 months and i am reeling from the pain that has been caused by a large hole in my bank account.......

I have been looking for a new battery for the black car recently and running it on Whitey's battery in the mean time, its a very hard thing to find! i have settled for a Vauxhall battery that is the same as the one in Whitey, the terminals are back to front but it was cheap and it fits!

The battery hunt meant that i paid for a battery that didnt fit then spent the next 4 days waiting for one that did, the garage were a nightmare and i ended up being owed a few s, he wasnt keen on giving them back to me so i made them fit my HKS BOV into the fitting kit that i bought for it!

So with the BOV ready to fit and a new battery i had a weekend of fun lined up!

I fitted the BOV, but i need to make sure i have connected the vacuum line correctly, i have taken the one that came off the old Bosch valve and fitted it to the new one. (i figured they all go back to the inlet manifold so it shouldnt matter!)

After some angle grinding and some connecting using the assortment of intercooler hoses that i have i managed to fit the valve near enough to where i wanted it!

Decided to take the car for a spin so turned it on to warm it up, no petrol.... got a can....filled it up.... started after some encouragement but wont stay running unless i hold the revs on.

Now, i have posted this in the workshop so im not asking questions in this one.... there seems to be a lot of oil appearing in places though, main worry is where its dripping onto the exhaust manifold!

Im off on my holidays on tuesday but when i get back i think i will try and find the problems and look into changing the head gasket and timing chain!

i really want to get it running again - i am very VERY paranoid about the black car at the moment and need the spare!

And there was me thinking the brakes were the biggest problem i had!! lol:o :nono;

Matthew
18th September 2006, 07:56 AM
I have been looking for a new battery for the black car recently and running it on Whitey's battery in the mean time, its a very hard thing to find!
The OE fit batteries were Varta, available from Varta dealers! Find the part numbers here:
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/varta_c900_batteries.pdf

Murray
18th September 2006, 08:07 AM
The OE fit batteries were Varta, available from Varta dealers! Find the part numbers here:
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/varta_c900_batteries.pdf

Yeah, i had a Varta battery in there originally, but it was an expensive replacement(75ish?), i have a 34 battery from vauxhall now!

LIke i said, the terminals are back to front but the black car has long wires and can take the terminals either way! They are currently close to the heat sink, i wanted them close to the inner wing!

I will post the part numbers later as it was suprisingly difficult to get the batteries, and for those who want a cheap fix, this is it!!:cheesy:

Alex
18th September 2006, 08:26 AM
Yeah, i had a Varta battery in there originally, but it was an expensive replacement(75ish?), i have a 34 battery from vauxhall now!

LIke i said, the terminals are back to front but the black car has long wires and can take the terminals either way! They are currently close to the heat sink, i wanted them close to the inner wing!

I will post the part numbers later as it was suprisingly difficult to get the batteries, and for those who want a cheap fix, this is it!!:cheesy:

The Varta battery of the turbo is expensive as it is a slightly unusual size (its slimmer to clear the downpipe and allow the heatshield to fit) and has a much higher heat rating to prevent it from boiling due to its proximity to the turbo.

Murray
18th September 2006, 09:29 AM
The Varta battery of the turbo is expensive as it is a slightly unusual size (its slimmer to clear the downpipe and allow the heatshield to fit) and has a much higher heat rating to prevent it from boiling due to its proximity to the turbo.

Indeed, that was a problem i had! (batteries either too wide or too fat!)

the vauxhall battery is all round smaller! so fits sweet!! and the one in whitey has seen more heat than the black car will ever see i would have thought, (JT pipe and lead foot!!)

Murray
18th September 2006, 12:17 PM
Ok, because i have more important things to do tonight (like packing for a weeks holiday and cleaning before i go) i thought i would play with the car....

I have sorted the starting problem, the vac line that i used was the issue, it doesnt mind being loose, it doesnt mind being blocked, but it has a strong issue with being attatched to the BOV!

Is a little annoying as its the same one (pretty much) thats connected to the BOV in the black car!! on whitey, it links to the line from the FPR and attatches to the side of the inlet manifold that looks towards the left side of the car and is nearest the firewall.

On the black car, this one connects to the top of the inlet manifold and has a 2 way bit coming out of the inlet manifold and one goes to the FPR, the other goes to the BOV!

Im going to search for the instructions now....lol they are on one of the new BOV threads!! let you know how i get on very shortly!

No photos im afraid as my battery has not arrived yet!!!:(

Murray
18th September 2006, 12:42 PM
Holy Cow batman - that thing is seriously loud, however, its also leaking! i get whistling at about 3-4,000 rpm then a whidywhidywhistle as it lets off! need to make it more sproggy! any ideas? im off to get some power steering fluid and petrol!:cheesy:

Urm, just one thing to consider, i have tried putting the vac line off it into several other vac lines with no joy, so i just bloked it! do you think thats going to be making things unhappy!?

Murray
18th September 2006, 01:36 PM
Ok then people! i have the results!

I took it to get some power steering fluid (she has a leak) and the local garage owners son is big into his 200sx's, knows a bit about turbos etc...

so he had a look at the valve and showed me the adjuster screw on the back, we played, removed, disposed of and produced a screw twice as long and then the car idled with the vac lines in, stopped leaking and whisteling when i drove down the road and made a scary loud (:lol: people were scared lol - JT and this thing is so funny) Whidddddiiiieeeewhidlewhidle:cheesy: as i get off the power.

He thinks i need a bigger spring (im making just over standard boost i think at the moment with a volvo fmic, air filter and JT pipe!)

to boot, Weston said that my engine warning light was flashing because my BOV was shot - he was right! it doesnt flash any more!:cheesy:

Murray
11th October 2006, 05:12 PM
Well, this is the end for me and this project thread!

Its been a lot of fun and a real experience owning Whitey, but for the observant amoung you, he has been on the classifieds for a week now!

Interest was taken by someone in uksaabs and tomorrow afternoon he will be taken away! i am sure he is going to a great new home and will more than likely love his new owner more than me (Bored ex-saab mechanic!!)

I will post some pictures of the leaving party tomorrow if i can! there go my dreams of intercooler cam too! :(

Its been emotional!:cry:

Matthew
11th October 2006, 06:54 PM
No idea the car was for sale! Good luck with that, hope it goes to a good home. Car deserves a loving home after all the work Gerry did.