Left front wheel: sounds like rubbing? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Left front wheel: sounds like rubbing?

tybo
13th March 2006, 02:04 PM
I've noticed that when driving, or coasting at slower speeds, what sounds like somehting rubbing from my front driver side wheel.

It was happening with old tires, switched them, still there, then just had new ones put on and still there. It doesnt matter if I'm going straight, or turning. Just sounds like a "whoop, whoop, whoop" sound. The suspension looked good according to a saab tech. They thought it might be the tires. But its definately not the tires.

could it be the wheel hub assembly, ?

Kermit
13th March 2006, 02:09 PM
Could it be a warped rotor rubbing?

tybo
13th March 2006, 02:12 PM
Maybe. Its happening whether or not i am applying brakes.

Kermit
13th March 2006, 02:13 PM
Do you get a pulsing feel through the brake pedal when you hit them?

tybo
13th March 2006, 02:18 PM
no pulsing feel. nothing to tell me at all that anything is "odd" except for the rubbing noise at the lesser speeds. at higher speeds, don't feel or hear anything.

thanks for your help

Chris 9-5
13th March 2006, 02:19 PM
have you changed the brakes recently, are the pads low?

tybo
13th March 2006, 02:21 PM
haven't changed them recently, am told that they're fine. ?

when the brakes are used, the noise doesn't change as far as I can tell.

Chris 9-5
13th March 2006, 02:26 PM
Sometimes if they are low they don't slide back so well, but that would stop when you applied the brakes.............. Can you work out which side its coming from?

Are you sure its not the belt or tensioners under the bonnet :confused:

tybo
13th March 2006, 02:30 PM
seems to be the driver side front -definately.

I don't hear it when not moving and its perfectly timed, decreasing as i decrease speed, increasing as I do.

Chris 9-5
13th March 2006, 02:31 PM
That sounds like the auxillary belt to me. Can you hear it under the bonnet with the car stationary?

gto47
13th March 2006, 03:35 PM
Check the heat shield behind the rotors, theyre a bit flimsy and sometimes get bent out of shape. I've had this happen a few times.

tybo
13th March 2006, 03:52 PM
good idea. thanks...

Kermit
14th March 2006, 02:29 AM
Gto47's post has reminded me of something else. Check for small stones lodged between the shield and brake rotor.

Iestyn Davies
14th March 2006, 09:50 AM
I've noticed that when driving, or coasting at slower speeds, what sounds like somehting rubbing from my front driver side wheel.

It was happening with old tires, switched them, still there, then just had new ones put on and still there. It doesnt matter if I'm going straight, or turning. Just sounds like a "whoop, whoop, whoop" sound. The suspension looked good according to a saab tech. They thought it might be the tires. But its definately not the tires.

could it be the wheel hub assembly, ?

I have a very similar sound - except the left is the passenger side of course. Do you have an automatic or stick shift?

dlwing
14th March 2006, 12:25 PM
I have a very similar sound and posted it here - thought it might be a wheel bearing but it isn't.

The sound I'm getting stays constant - it doesn't increase or decrease with the cars speed and it's definitely coming from the left wheel area.
Possibly it's the strut bearing / strut assembly?? Haven'y noticed any other odd noises related to a strut problem though.

Definitly peculiar.

tybo
15th March 2006, 09:20 AM
mine is an automatic.

the sound of rubbing is definately associated with rolling.

Shiston
15th March 2006, 05:01 PM
Hi,

I have a similar sound comming from the front drivers side wheel as well. Only noticable when going over bumps and especially when cold. I think its an engine mount/s, but have to get mechanic to check out the engine to see if any are worn.

At first I thought it might be the CV joints but recently I've had both CV joints pulled out and reconditioned, serpentine belt replaced (old one worn) and water pump replaced.

rob beard
15th March 2006, 05:34 PM
no pulsing feel. nothing to tell me at all that anything is "odd" except for the rubbing noise at the lesser speeds. at higher speeds, don't feel or hear anything.

thanks for your help

Hi Tybo

I am still in the motor trade over here and sounds to me that the steel bracing in the tyre is giving up, it may even sound like a creeking noise. Swap both front wheels to the back just to prove a point, and have another listen, just to be safe. A tyre can look in superb condition from the outside on a ramp and will still look good if the tyre is taken off the rim and is inspected on the inside, but the wire inside the carcass can still break up. Try what I have said, it won't cost you a dime, but it will prove a point

Regards
Rob

tybo
15th March 2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks,

but the noise was first happening on older tires. I rotated front to back and had the same issue, without a change.

I needed new tires and had a new set of michelins put on last week. Same noise, no better, no worse. So we know its not the tires.

Happening in gear, in neutral and coasting, with brakes on, without brakes, turning or going straight. no visible wear on the sides of the tire, or in the wheel well area either.

Not a constant rub sound, but a "whoop....whoop....whoop" sound.

no pulsing when using the breaks and the sound repeats faster when getting up to speed, slows with the slowing of the car. Just like a tire problem wood.

Iestyn Davies
15th March 2006, 05:49 PM
Same here on my 2002 Aero Auto! Doesn't seem to hinder roadholding or handling - or performance for that matter!! :D

Mine has been serviced by a main dealer and specialst on at least 2 occasions.

rob beard
15th March 2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks,

but the noise was first happening on older tires. I rotated front to back and had the same issue, without a change.

I needed new tires and had a new set of michelins put on last week. Same noise, no better, no worse. So we know its not the tires.

Happening in gear, in neutral and coasting, with brakes on, without brakes, turning or going straight. no visible wear on the sides of the tire, or in the wheel well area either.

Not a constant rub sound, but a "whoop....whoop....whoop" sound.

no pulsing when using the breaks and the sound repeats faster when getting up to speed, slows with the slowing of the car. Just like a tire problem wood.

Try this:

Remove the left hand side wheel and put the car on an axle stand under the suspension leg so you have the weight of the car on the axle stand (make sure the hand brake is on). Start the engine and put it in 1st gear and let the clutch out slowly (NO THROTTLE) or drop in 1st if its an auto. Go round the front and have a listen.DO BE VERY CAREFUL AND DO NOT START PUTTING YOUR FACE NEAR THE ROTATING ROTOR AND PULLING THINGS WITH YOUR HANDS OR YOU WON'T HAVE A FACE OR HAND LEFT. Concentrate and listen very carefully, you may even have to lift the hood and have a listen inside the engine bay.

After you have done your listening, knock it out of gear and DO NOT slam the brake pedal on, switch the engine off

Regards
Rob

PS. Just before you carry out your test have a look at the outer driveshaft gaiter and make sure there is not any rope or anything wrapped round it which you may have picked up on the Highway.

Azza
17th March 2006, 10:04 PM
I have a 96 9000CD which had the same noise - exactly the way you desribe it. I tried all the things you mentioned and it turned out to be the hub assy. A new one was around $450.00 Aussie dollars fitted. The problem was solved immediately. Good Luck! :o

SAAB_Serious
24th March 2006, 05:55 PM
1999 9-5, Same noise, exactly the way you describe it and from the same area. I have rotated and balanced the tires and still the same thing. Am anxious to hear what the problem is...

nogoer
26th June 2006, 03:32 PM
Tybo, did you figure out what this issue was? Im having what i believe is the same problem as you. Its a dull whoop whoop that gets louder as you go faster and slows witht he speed of the car. It does it the same under braking cornering, no braking and makes no sound when stopped. The local dealer had mentioned a bearing getting a little noisy in an inspection a few weeks ago, but i doubt thats the problem. there is no whineing or screeching.

It sounds like there is a chuck of rubber missing in the tire. So i had a tire shop balance and inspect the tire. Balancing lessened the noise but they didnt see any tire damage. Although they inspected it on the car by hand feel only. I think i might try swapping front to back and see if the noise goes away.

I hope its not the front wheel hub assembly doing it, that sounds like something that would be the culprit. Mine is an 01 aero and the noise is coming from the front passenger side. Same side as the delaer noted the bearing noise from.

tybo
26th June 2006, 03:36 PM
My issue was the wheel bearing, driver side. had both replaced - problem fixed.

Good luck

dlwing
26th June 2006, 03:55 PM
Funny you should ask about this at this time. I finally gave in and took it to the dealer last week....it WAS the front drivers side wheel bearing after all. Drove it making the noise for a good 2500 miles until the noise changed. Sounded real bad.
The dealer mechanic was very helpful as was the service advisor and manager.
Found out on my model that it is a sealed bearing hub, not pressed on. Had him only change the bad one, I'll change the other.
I can hear the driver's side front strut start to make noise now. Too bad I don't have the aptitude to change that myself...
Good luck with your "NOISE".

II Kings 9:20
27th June 2006, 08:33 AM
I have the exact same sound and when my dad rode with me he said I have a bad wheel bearing. Looks like he was right based on your report. I guess I'll get them done sometimme this Summer. Odd with only 52K the wheel bearings would be going.

nogoer
27th June 2006, 09:26 AM
It seems really odd that a wheel bearing makes a noise like this. I called the local dealer and got an estimate....325 to do the right front bearing. Thats not bad considering what ive seen others pay, but it sucks since there is only 40K miles on the car. Im still a little leary though because the sound didnt really start until my wife hit a pothole a month ago, and then over this last week the noise got louder and now after balancing its much quieter.

Iestyn Davies
27th June 2006, 04:43 PM
Convinced my noise is the bearings. My car is a 2002 year model on an Aero wagon. I now also have a rumbling noise from the rear left. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't something similar going on at the rear. Not that impressed to be honest. At the smae time my theft management system needs to be replaced and I need a 66K mile service. Does SAAB really want me to buy a replacement 9-5? I feel like they aretaking my brand loyalty for granted.

dlwing
27th June 2006, 04:49 PM
Hey, $325 to replace the front bearing is a great price! I spent $540 at my dealer.

I found that when you rebalance the tires, the noise dissipates a bit, but will then get more noticeable as you put the miles on.
My bearing went with 104,000 miles on the car and it's a 2002. Go figure when these things will fail. I bought a new Volvo 850 GLT back in 1993 and it's still in the family.
Has 340,000 miles on it and the wheel bearings failed after 275,000 miles.

nogoer
27th June 2006, 05:02 PM
This is the first car ive ever owned that ive even had to replace a wheel bearing on, let alone doing it at 40K miles. Way too soon for this type of drivetrain issue, but things happen so you just need to deal with it. I really like the car in spite of the issues ive had to take care of. DI was replaced because it was weak, wheel bearing, ac is low probably a leak that needs to be diagnosed.

I dont care car looks good and performs even better. As far as im concenred the more performance the more maintenance.

Chris 9-5
27th June 2006, 05:03 PM
I had both front bearings replaced on my previous 9-5, didnt make any difference. I think they suffer from road and tyre noise quite badly :confused:

DJ53
28th June 2006, 08:14 AM
Funny you all should mention this noise as I too have a very dull throbing noise which is in tandem with the wheel rotation.I recently put new tyres on the front and thought it may be that but after 1500 miles I was convinced it had to be hub or bearing . I was going to call a man in Notingham for his views but after reading this lot I,ll not waste his time. My plan is to replace both front wheel bearings. There fairly cheap to buy and as we have a press here I thought I would go the DIY route. Cant wait to see what trouble I get into when I do it. :D

Watch out for the urgent requests for help one weekend. The noise really is driving me mad as its just very dull and seems to reverberate all around your head.

II Kings 9:20
28th June 2006, 11:46 AM
I had both front bearings replaced on my previous 9-5, didnt make any difference. I think they suffer from road and tyre noise quite badly :confused:
That is what I thought until reading this thread. Wifey reminds me that we heard a similar sound in the 03 Arc we drove with only 30K on it. I might go drive another 02/03 or perhaps new and see if this is "normal".

Kermit
28th June 2006, 11:59 AM
Dave, i'd put money on it being the new tyres. I had a similar conversation with Chris last week, i thought the wheel bearings were rumbling on mine, Chris confirmed that his old car sounded the same even after changing the bearings. Just turn up your Val Doonigan cd old boy. ;)

nogoer
29th June 2006, 01:25 PM
Ive had my aero for about a month or more. It made no noises except a definate tire noise. I can recognize tread noise anywhere pretty easy. It wasnt until my wife hit a small pothole a few weeks ago that the dull throbbing noise started. We have not changed the tires so i know the noise is not form that. So unless the noise is from missing tread rubber then im pretty sure at his point its a wheel bearing. I have yet to inspect the tire off the car, but since the dealer mentioned wheel bearing noise already my money is pretty much on it being that.