Borbet Wheels [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Borbet Wheels

96Turbo
11-03-06, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone. I think i've finally decided on wheels. The borbet Type FS wheels look cool. I have a few questions though. I'm gonna get the 17"s. However, they come in 7" or 8" wide. If I want to run 225/45/17, do I need an 8" wide wheel? Is there any advantage to the wider wheel if the narrower one will work? I'm on a tight budget, and the $20 a wheel savings means something to me. Is the tire rack the best place to get them? Is a +40 offset on the 7", and +35 on the 8" right for my car? ('96 900 SE). Thanks!!!

Saabohème
11-03-06, 08:01 PM
35mm offset works on 8" and I know 40mm works on 6.5 (so it should be fine on 7"). I have 8" w/35mm and no clearance issues.

Rogozhin
11-03-06, 09:31 PM
96 Turbo

Get the 8" wide wheels if you do the 225 or 235. I just bought a full set of the Type FS 18x8 with 225x40x18.

Here's a pic for ya :)

Rogo

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/554733/MC-2.jpg

mike saunders
11-03-06, 11:44 PM
Rear wheel wells are different between the 9-3 and the NG900.

An NG900 can run 225, but with some rubbing.

If you run 8" wide wheels, you'll really need to check the offset. You want something less than 40....

Rogozhin
12-03-06, 01:18 AM
whoa I didn't know that the new 900 had different size rear wheel wells than the old gen 9-3

why?

Rogo

mike saunders
12-03-06, 01:51 AM
There's a black plastic trim piece that juts into the rear wheel well. Saab recommends cutting most of it off....

You can just see it in this pic...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/mikesaunders/wheels001.jpg

Jeremy R.
12-03-06, 02:14 AM
There's a black plastic trim piece that juts into the rear wheel well.
Yeah, it's the plastic on the rear bumper, not really the wheel well itself. If you have rear mudflaps, like I did, then it's even worse, but they can be trimmed, too. The Viggen has the best bumper of them all. It barely has any plastic that intrudes into the wheel well.

pbnlilman
12-03-06, 02:37 PM
96 Turbo

Get the 8" wide wheels if you do the 225 or 235. I just bought a full set of the Type FS 18x8 with 225x40x18.

Here's a pic for ya :)

Rogo

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/554733/MC-2.jpg

That is one of the most gorgeous saabs I've ever seen.. :thumbs up!:

jmoening
12-03-06, 02:51 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2291000-2291999/2291199_1_full.jpg

Had a warm weekend. Took the snowshoes off and look what I put on.

pbnlilman
12-03-06, 02:54 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2291000-2291999/2291199_1_full.jpg

I hate you, I was going to get the LS... Now I want the FS.
:<

jmoening
12-03-06, 02:55 PM

Although I must say I'm only 95% pleased because I wanted a set of Superleggeras but when I went shopping they didn't seem to be in production/available. So today I pick up the latest European Car magazine and what do I see an ad for, but the Supers.

jmoening
12-03-06, 03:01 PM
I hate you, I was going to get the LS... Now I want the FS.
:<

I picked out the Borbets because they're counter to the two popular wheel types currently being sold on cars: the chunky five/six spokers and the ASA/BBS multispokes. I opted for the FS because it came in 17x8. But if you don't mind 7.5 the LS will be just as distinctive.

Rogozhin
12-03-06, 03:04 PM
pbn thanks m8! I really like the Viggen :cheesy:

JMoening-I gotta say that I think the Type FS look better on a Black Viggen instead of the Yellow one - that thing looks BAD! :cool:

Rogo

jmoening
12-03-06, 03:13 PM
JMoening-I gotta say that I think the Type FS look better on a Black Viggen instead of the Yellow one - that thing looks BAD! :cool:

Thanks. (Too bad the Tirerack didn't have any cute blondes for the passenger seat!)

Castro_9
13-03-06, 10:11 AM
2 Cents: I have the same setup as pbnlilman (except for the whole Viggen thing ;) ) and I think even the 8" looks a little skinny from behind.

Edit: Holy crap, I just checked an original invoice for some stuff I was going to get but didn't and realized I may even have 215/40. That just may explain the skinny. Now I want to run home and check what's on the car???

So I imagine I would like the 7.5 even less. This mostly comes from flashbacks of my old truck which I cheaped out and got 8" instead of 10" rims. You'd think the tire size would be consistent but it did look different on different rims.

- Castro

96Turbo
13-03-06, 12:31 PM
Hey jmoening, are those 17"s? Is it lowered? They look awesome on your car. Mine is a black 3 door, so I'm pretty sure they will look equally mean:D. I can't decide if I want to spend the extra money and get 18s. I don't want to have a really low profile tire, because minnesota roads suck. I thought it was spring, but today we just got about 8 inches!

liketheword
13-03-06, 12:42 PM
Hey jmoening, are those 17"s? Is it lowered? They look awesome on your car. Mine is a black 3 door, so I'm pretty sure they will look equally mean:D. I can't decide if I want to spend the extra money and get 18s. I don't want to have a really low profile tire, because minnesota roads suck. I thought it was spring, but today we just got about 8 inches!

Your a fellow MN'er. It seems the best choice is the have 2 sets of wheels/tires for our wacky weather.. 1 set performance 1 set for winter. Kinda pricy prospect but worth it in the long run! I am concerned about lowering my car because of the weather and the roads we have here... Saab=snowplow if you are not carefull...

96Turbo
14-03-06, 10:46 PM
Yea, I think now i'll be able to find some snow tires to put on the stock 16s. Now I can't decide what I want to save for next, lowering springs or a stage 4 ecu.....I'm thinking ecu:D

jmoening
14-03-06, 11:04 PM
Hey jmoening, are those 17"s? Is it lowered?

17x8s. lowered with the koni sport kit about an inch.

jmoening
14-03-06, 11:13 PM
Yea, I think now i'll be able to find some snow tires to put on the stock 16s. Now I can't decide what I want to save for next, lowering springs or a stage 4 ecu.....I'm thinking ecu:D

The stage 4 ecu won't help you very much without "stage 4" hardware. Exhaust, dp, cat, ic, throttle body/bend, intake, fuel rail & injectors might make the bill a bit pricey.

Besides, I've always found it prudent to go suspension first, power second. Even if it's step by step.

RRazor
15-03-06, 12:04 AM
The FS type are gorgeous wheels. I lov em!

Anyone know a place in Australia that stocks Borbet wheels??

liketheword
15-03-06, 12:09 PM
I agree definitely suspension before power... Remember power is nothing w/o control.

Sorry no leads on the wheels for aussies...

96Turbo
15-03-06, 07:21 PM
I've already got the hardware I need, i meant to say stage 3. With the nordic ECU thats about 21 psi, right? Can I run this with the stock T25? I've got the full exhaust and intake, so all I would need is the stage 3 chip and a different wastegate? It says the vig intercooler isn't required, but i'm sure it helps. I would probably add that soon after. I really like the power I've got now with the mbc, but I want a little more. I suppose it would be a better idea to go with some suspension mods first. What has the biggest impact, springs, rack clamp, rear roll bar, subframe brace, etc????

Barbarian
15-03-06, 10:00 PM
Hi jmoening,

I am right in the middle of the "replace the stock Viggen wheels" thing.

I thought I had it all figured out with the ASA R-1's until I saw the Borbets on your car. Quite a difference from viewing them on the TireRack simulation! My Viggen is also black, so you gave me a front-row seat on what they will look like on my car.:D What size tires do you have on the 17x8's? Will there be any difference regarding fit between your car and my 2001 Viggen (stock)?

My stock Viggen wheels are actually in great shape with only two wheels having two small scrapes each. One of them was recently refinished to take care of a couple of small spots. Not curb rash, just small chips from who knows why and where. I love the look, but I don't want to have to keep up with them. I am going to put them on ebay, so if you know anyone looking for a clean, straight set in very good condition, please point them my way.

Thanks for your help!

jmoening
16-03-06, 02:18 PM
:evil: Word of caution to those of non-pristine highways and shallow pockets. The Borbet FS lightweight alloys are very soft and subject to bending. Mine now resemble pretzels, or eggs, when you put them on the lift and spin them around-after only 100 miles of use.

jmoening
16-03-06, 02:18 PM
:evil: Word of caution to those of non-pristine highways and shallow pockets. The Borbet FS lightweight alloys are very soft and subject to bending. Mine now resemble pretzels, or eggs, when you put them on the lift and spin them around-after only 100 miles of use.

Gonna get the BBS.

liketheword
16-03-06, 09:45 PM
Can't go wrong w/ BBS however gotta have the *ching* to fit the bill.

jerel
17-03-06, 09:27 AM

:(

That's not what I wanted to hear about these wheels. They're definately a great looking wheel, but probably no good if they bend as easy if not easier than the stock Viggen wheels. Definately makes me sad.

Jerel

Rogozhin
17-03-06, 06:21 PM
I have the borbet FS 18" on 225x40 rubber and they sure don't seem soft to me-I've hit a few potholed at speed (65) and not a problem. But I keep the tire pressure high (42).

Rogo