Performance Mods - What should I do first? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Performance Mods - What should I do first?

MikeZR
13th February 2003, 02:49 PM
I just bought a 99 9-3 turbo and am anxious to make it as powerful as possible. What are the best mods to start with that I'll actually feel a difference. Also, if I upgrade the turbo will that give me more preformance than upgrading the ECU? If I upgrade the ECU first and later want to upgrade the turbo, do I have to do another ECU upgrade? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ERP
13th February 2003, 05:30 PM
Have you seen my site yet?

http://www.lehigh.edu/~erp4/Saab.html

Under performance I list the different stages you should follow. There are a lot of little things which should be taken care of first before you can upgrade the turbo. When it is time to upgrade the turbo you will need new software (ECU) to go with it. If you have any specific questions just reply or email me. Congrats on the new Saab.

Eric

Tweek's Turbos
14th February 2003, 03:14 PM
Flat out, first thing should be the Air intake box, Its cheap, easy and I thought I felt a diff. Definately start out with the minor detail mods and work your way up. makes the Bigger $$$ mods like turbo, and ECU work that much better, and saves the engine from possible overworking, or Detonation.

Munki
14th February 2003, 04:59 PM
And how many more bhp does removing the front bumper give then Tweek... :-??

C'mon tell us why you removed it... :cheesy:

Tweek's Turbos
15th February 2003, 10:50 AM
Well I figure 10 horsepower gain from weight reduction :cheesy: And another 20 horsespower from havine nothing blocking the air from the intercooler, so about 57.3 extra horsepower, I'm not sure what a newton metre is so I'll say 32 of those. :cheesy:

I removed it since the E-brake doesn't like to hold the car in one place. :-? Besides, I can now see the how badly the passenger side frame rolled in on itself. :o But, when the tax return arrives, I should be able to afford the viggen front end. I did meet a guy who says he can get me saab parts at wholesale :roll: So I'll give him the part number and see what he tells me.

trexturk
15th February 2003, 12:22 PM
hey, i have an airbox f/s.
Let me know
its off a 96 900se

Schab
22nd February 2003, 08:18 AM
Any difference on the Air Intake you have, versus what is stock already?
Dave

Schab
22nd February 2003, 08:19 AM
Sorry about that......meant AirBOX..not air intake...

Tweek's Turbos
22nd February 2003, 11:02 AM
I felt a could pull after 2000 RPMs. It was easy to make to. $5 for a lenght of 5 ft PVC, only needed about foot and a half. Make it longer first..and cut to fit. I bellmouthed it at work with a Heat gun and an antique metal lampshade. I had to wait another 2 weeks before my K&N arrived. But with the stock filter a gain is definately noticed. While doing it, take out the discharge silencer too.

ragtopcav
24th February 2003, 06:49 PM
Sorry to be the sad old man here but is it not 'prudent' to get the damn things to stop better before trying to get them to go faster?:nono;

Tweek's Turbos
25th February 2003, 05:03 PM
I do have a set of EBC Greenstuff pads up front and Zimmerman cross drilled rotors...Half the board doesnt think they do anything over stock tho.

jlorencillo
1st March 2003, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know what is the K&N Air Filter part number that will fit a 96 900SE? I went to the K&N site but as I understood it from there is that the SAAB 9000, 16v,Turbo (Panel Filter) 2.0L L4 , #33-2020, Air Filter will fit in the 900SE? Is that correct?

Thanks

Tweek's Turbos
1st March 2003, 06:16 PM
33-2663