installing mbc [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: installing mbc

Irorms
11th March 2006, 12:17 PM
hi guys, I've got my voodoo mbc for a while and finally decide to install it,, i have went to erics site and even printed out the instruction,,but i can't seem to find the 3 hose he was talking about..the one thats blue green and yellow i think,,, anyhow under what perimeter should it be located? do i have to lift up my car to reach it?

brewtide
11th March 2006, 12:20 PM
hi guys, I've got my voodoo mbc for a while and finally decide to install it,, i have went to erics site and even printed out the instruction,,but i can't seem to find the 3 hose he was talking about..the one thats blue green and yellow i think,,, anyhow under what perimeter should it be located? do i have to lift up my car to reach it?

THe hoses themselves are actually all black; he color coded them to make sense in his written directions...

Pop the hood, and look left of the grill area - you'll see a little contraption that has the three hoses running to it as well as an electrical connector. You'll also need a small piece of vac line, I believe...

No need for any jacking, etc - it's just left of the grill!

hope this helps, write back for more clairification if needed...
-bny

Irorms
11th March 2006, 12:22 PM
left of the grill? i think i saw them some where...but how do i know which is which if there is no more colour indication

and also do i need an anticipator?

brewtide
11th March 2006, 12:25 PM
left of the grill? i think i saw them some where...but how do i know which is which if there is no more colour indication

and also do i need an anticipator?

THey are attached to the device in order; the same on all cars... Also, when he says 'compressor', follow the line that goes to the turbo compressor, when he says wastegate, follow the line that goes to the wastegate, the only other one is the 'return' into the air intake...

I don't run an anticipator; WHen i have it set right peak, and the weather drops 20 degrees, I'll hit fuel cut. I got around this by simply setting my peak boost a little lower 14ish until it warms right up here in Maine.

An Anticipitor just allows you to set and forget; w/o, due to temps, you may have to adjust now and then but it's no huge deal to do. I'll eventually get around to installing one if I don't go stage 3 first...

keep writting back if needed...

-bny

Irorms
11th March 2006, 12:40 PM
thanks so much brew, i've so far found all the hoses, and is ready to go, is it true that the 90 degree angled mbc goes right in to waste gate where the middle line suppose to be? and plus i dont' have a proper boost gauge...any recommendations?

brewtide
11th March 2006, 12:46 PM
thanks so much brew, i've so far found all the hoses, and is ready to go, is it true that the 90 degree angled mbc goes right in to waste gate where the middle line suppose to be? and plus i dont' have a proper boost gauge...any recommendations?

I created my MBC from crap from home depot, but on mine it's like this:

<--***---|
......|
......|
......\/

(dots above provide spacing for the 'diagram')

Where the left arrow is air in from compressor, down arrow is to the wastegate, and the little | at the right end is my adjustment screw...

Yes, I believe you are correct on your setup. THe compressor air must force the ball bearing/spring to OPEN due to pressure, and then vent to the wastegate (yes, it's the middle line).

What I did was this; turn your adjustment screw until you feel a 'little' pressure from the spring. Then, go for a short boost. It may not boost at all, or a little bit. Keep tightening the screw until your boost goes up. Eventually you'll hit fuel cut or be content with the boost you're producing. I neither have a 'real' boost gauge, and on my 9-3 I boost about 1/3 into the red before fuel cut. Don't worry if you hit it a few times, just back it off, and try again. Once you get situated, lock the 'lock nut' into place to prevent accidental adjustment...

On some colder days, esp. going uphill, you may have to turn it down a little... I did and left it at that until full spring/summer weather is here...

peace,
bny

Irorms
11th March 2006, 12:49 PM
ok thanks breW! i'm gonna go get it going! when i'm done let u know! thanks so much

brewtide
11th March 2006, 12:57 PM
ok thanks breW! i'm gonna go get it going! when i'm done let u know! thanks so much

No problem; hope it works out for you... I've gotten used to mine, but it's taken a few months. Still can get a good smile out of me when the condition applies - Even with an automatic.

It takes a little tuning, but you'll get it there. I've found that if I really tweak mine out, it almost feels like my turbo or engine doesn't quite like it (although it could be in my head; obviously going to produce more noise...) - so I tweak it all the way out, then back a 1/2->3/4 turn...

-bny

Irorms
11th March 2006, 01:28 PM
hey brew, i have complete installation of my mbc, pushing boost alittle bit in to red right now, don't know how much psi i'm pushing, i couldn't test it beyond 120km/hour, if it hits fuel cut when will it hit? and what is the symptom? i dont' wanna be driving on high way and fuel cut on me when i hit 140-160 (thats what i usually drive)

thanks alot,

Tweek's Turbos
11th March 2006, 01:40 PM
Fuel cut hits at a certain psi not kph or mph.

You will know, the car jerks for a second.

Irorms
11th March 2006, 01:45 PM
Fuel cut hits at a certain psi not kph or mph.

You will know, the car jerks for a second.

'is it dangerouse to test it on the high way though?

brewtide
11th March 2006, 03:55 PM
'is it dangerouse to test it on the high way though?

You don't need to test on the highway. I've found that if it's going to kick (fuel cut) it'll usually do it in a higher gear going up an incline/hill... When the turbo spools the quickest.

It won't hurt your car to hit it during tuning, but I wouldn't make a habit of it either...

I'd suggest keep turning it up until you DO hit it, then work your way down again very slightly. THis way you're getting as much boost as you can w/o hitting...

-bny

PS. How's it drive? A bit faster, eh?

Irorms
11th March 2006, 05:33 PM
You don't need to test on the highway. I've found that if it's going to kick (fuel cut) it'll usually do it in a higher gear going up an incline/hill... When the turbo spools the quickest.

It won't hurt your car to hit it during tuning, but I wouldn't make a habit of it either...

I'd suggest keep turning it up until you DO hit it, then work your way down again very slightly. THis way you're getting as much boost as you can w/o hitting...

-bny

PS. How's it drive? A bit faster, eh?

aloooooot faster! 80-120 is usually the slowest in terms of boost and accelerating for my car, now phewwww it shoots right through that stage! i'm not sure where my boost is, but i didn't hit fuel cut, i've been playing it real conservatively, basically now my turbo gauge goes in to the red about 1 mark (the width of the needle) and alittle more if push hard, and so far i love it! and is alot faster!!

thank you soo much brew, and thank you thank you!

hehe

Iro

p.s. any idea how much psi i mght be boosting?

brewtide
11th March 2006, 06:01 PM
aloooooot faster! ...

p.s. any idea how much psi i mght be boosting?

Mine, right before fuel cut is about 1/3rd into the red. Each of these gauges is very subjective, so it could be different for you. If your gauge is like mine, i'd say you're running 13-14psi...

You'll find yourself wondering how much you can turn the dial-- until one day, bam, you hit fuel cut, and almost **** yourself :lol:

Then turn it back down a hair...

glad it worked,
peace,
bny