Is it not possible? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Is it not possible?

9000pimper
10th March 2006, 05:00 PM
so i hear and now know that the N/A engine on a 9K cannot support a turbo is there no way that i can strengthin the con rods to get this baby to be a turbo if so can someone refer me where to go to get them.

thanks

Brainless
10th March 2006, 05:46 PM
you would be better off just getting a turbo engine, would be cheaper.

but its not only a matter of slapping a turbo on its all the other things you need as well, like a different ecu, a new exaust system, all new pipework from the intake through to a intercooler then to the throttle body,

I did look at this a while back with my old 900i and decided it is cheaper to wait and find a turbo car

skint
10th March 2006, 05:51 PM
Not sure where to get conrods - you'll need a whole load more than that too.

For the money required to convert to turbo, I'd just get a turbo car - or even a turbo engine. Both can be picked up for buttons. I dont think anyone has ever bothered to a Saab NA to turbo as it's so much effort and the brand's biggest selling point is it's turbo so there are loads around.

Brainless
10th March 2006, 05:54 PM
plus there is no pimp factor in turboing a car that already has a turbo model

Stefano
10th March 2006, 09:11 PM
Pistons are different as well, and if you decide to change them you should also consider that a new set of pistons costs more than a used turbo engine.

Way tooo many parts to swap/adapt, get a wrecked donor car and do the swap of all the bits needed (entire drivetrain, intercooler, various wiring harnesses...) or just buy a turbo car.