Slow to warm up [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Slow to warm up

900t
08-03-06, 06:46 PM
1987 900 S 16i with 5-speed (& the screamin demon pinion bearing!)

I notice it takes a long time for this car to warm up. Turbo, drive it a hundred metres down the block and it's already at operating temp, however just as I am finishing my 12 km commute the needle on this one is just barely 1/2 way.

Sounds like the thermostat has failed and caused it to stick open.

My question though. The car takes a long time to warm, but it seems to maintain it's ~90 C coolant temperature after it (finally) reaches such a point. I haven't driven the car far enough to really find out but I don't want to either :cheesy:

For the moment I am thinking of shoving a box from a 24 of Coke in front of the condenser.

jetman
08-03-06, 08:04 PM
Well twelve k does seem a little long, but then you drive so fast you may be getting there too quick! The freeway is 1.5 miles from my house and I am at full operating temp by then. Which is a tiny bit over 1/4.

Its easy enough to pull the tstat and have a look what position its in.

900t
08-03-06, 08:09 PM
Well twelve k does seem a little long, but then you drive so fast you may be getting there too quick! The freeway is 1.5 miles from my house and I am at full operating temp by then. Which is a tiny bit over 1/4.

Its easy enough to pull the tstat and have a look what position its in.

Oh yeah I should add I'm driving extremely "pepere" never over 130 because of the noisy tranny, and almost all highway. At least it feels that way to me since I'm used to bombing up it in the turbo at 130 mi/h :lol: . I get passed now by the "normally quick" guys going 130-140.

philjohnhb
08-03-06, 08:30 PM
Certainly sounds like the thermostat. For the cost of a thermostat it's not worth the extra petrol and the internal engine damage not to change it.