Anyone have a delay when turning on the ignition? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Anyone have a delay when turning on the ignition?

dtg_
25-02-06, 01:56 PM
When I turn the key in my ignition, it sometimes takes a couple seconds for the car to start. The only way to get the car to start is keep the key turned or take the key out and turn it again.

It used to happen infrequently, but has started to happen more in the past few months. I told the dealer, and their answer is to make sure the clutch is pushed in all the way (duh). I noticed it happenend more when I left my radio or A/C on when turning off my car, but not always. It's completely random at this point. I don't think it's the battery because I just got mine replaced (at a whopping 9k miles). I told them to check out the starter and they said it's fine...anyone have similar problems?

Irishfred
25-02-06, 02:27 PM
When I turn the key in my ignition, it sometimes takes a couple seconds for the car to start. The only way to get the car to start is keep the key turned or take the key out and turn it again.

It used to happen infrequently, but has started to happen more in the past few months. I told the dealer, and their answer is to make sure the clutch is pushed in all the way (duh). I noticed it happenend more when I left my radio or A/C on when turning off my car, but not always. It's completely random at this point. I don't think it's the battery because I just got mine replaced (at a whopping 9k miles). I told them to check out the starter and they said it's fine...anyone have similar problems?

Do you mean it will crank for a few seconds, or that it is not cranking while the key is turned?

I had to replace my ignition module two weeks ago. It would not crank, and there were error messages on the display. The dash lights would not work, interior lights would not work - only the check engine light was on. All at 27000 miles.

Jdodds27
22-10-08, 07:42 PM
If the delay happens and there is no turning over...what would cause that? My 05 does that occasionally. Usually I can reinsert the key and it'll be fine. But this shouldn't be necessary. Any ideas???

Thanks

kart125
22-10-08, 08:56 PM
Mine does that too sometimes... I need to turn back to "off" position before starting again, and its completely random too. Wild guess is that the key has to sync with the car's security system everytime you start (it changes codes everytime) and that sometimes this process does not go as planned. Then you have to start again...

SidewaysD
22-10-08, 11:55 PM
Are you leaving the key in the on position until the SID clears it's checks?

Or are you just instering the key and turning it to start without letting the sid do its check?

blazinskunk
23-10-08, 12:13 PM
Are you leaving the key in the on position until the SID clears it's checks?

Or are you just instering the key and turning it to start without letting the sid do its check?

Is that nessesary, Sideways? Should I be doing this on my car? I dont have any problems, but was wondering if I should have been doing this from the beginning. Dealer never told me anything about that.

JonV
23-10-08, 12:25 PM
I just insert the key and start up, the engine is running as I watch the SID go to OK

Orlandoaero
23-10-08, 12:41 PM
Me too. It just fires up as the SID shows it is going through the check. I have never heard that the two (ignition/SID check) are somehow related.

DavidMorgan
23-10-08, 01:23 PM
I just insert the key and start up, the engine is running as I watch the SID go to OK
I have always waited those 4 seconds of checking and start on OK..
Are you suggesting that it is not necessary and my starting immediately will change nothing :confused:

JonV
23-10-08, 01:38 PM
I'm not saying it's proper or improper, but I've never had an issue just firing it up.

rdub06
23-10-08, 08:44 PM
I always thought that "Check OK" was a system check showing everything was operating correctly... I've never noticed it until after the car had started - that's even waiting a second or two until after I depress the clutch and put the tranny in neutral (before cranking the engine). I guess I feel pretty stupid right now. ;oops:

SidewaysD
24-10-08, 12:02 AM
Its important in my opinon to wait 5 secs for the car when on the on position before start or to when SID says OK..

Reason.. The ECU calcutes the proper air-to fuel ratio on start up, and also your fuel pump is priming fuel.

JonV
24-10-08, 01:42 AM
Yeah, well ok, allright..

I put the key in, it starts...If I pay attention I see the SID say OK, by the time I fit my belt, set the Ipod playlist, and the gain I'm good to go.

In over 45 years of starting a car ... now it's supposed to say...OK drive me now:roll::roll::roll:

I'm beginning to think Driver Ed should Start at 12. (years...not noon)

What would you do if you had to adjust a choke on a cold morning, or adjust spark on the column.

Hugh
24-10-08, 05:31 PM
According to my interpretation of the" Starting The Engine" section of Owner's Manual,it is not necessary to wait for SID to complete the check. Knowing Saab,if it was necessary,I'm sure there would be some sort of interlock gimmick that would prevent engine from starting until check completed.;) ;) ;)

SidewaysD
25-10-08, 04:12 AM
Yeah, well ok, allright..

I put the key in, it starts...If I pay attention I see the SID say OK, by the time I fit my belt, set the Ipod playlist, and the gain I'm good to go.

In over 45 years of starting a car ... now it's supposed to say...OK drive me now:roll::roll::roll:

I'm beginning to think Driver Ed should Start at 12. (years...not noon)

What would you do if you had to adjust a choke on a cold morning, or adjust spark on the column.

Too bad drivers ed does not teach common sense as well

oh yeah.. right..

Try starting a G35 like that and see what happens...(ESPECIALLY COLD)
Mine you.. They are not turbo charged..

Barks like mad close to two thousand RPM.

Then try waiting few seconds and start it.. a nice little Cough.

For all the cars i owned.. it was the same thing..
(EFI)

And what the mechanics say at Volvo or anywhere else...

You should not start a car right away..

Wait a few seconds to "ON" to allow the fuel to prime (You can hear a hum at this stage) and allow the ECU to run a self test.

Sure, the manual says its not neccessary... but ill still wait 5 secs on "ON" and then start it.

Thank you come agian.

and the next thing iam going to hear is "Turbo timing" is bad or not neccessary? waiting 2 mins before turning it off?
Give me a break..

JonV
25-10-08, 06:12 AM
No-one here is talking about a G35 or a Volvo. You are welcome to wait as long as you want. I'd said earlier, I'm not saying it's proper or improper to start up before the SID reads Check OK and I've never had an issue just starting right up. If you feel it's necessary, fine, that's your choice.

No-one here is saying jam your key in the ignition and turn it as fast as you can, it seems most responders have there engines running before the SID completes it's system checks.

jlrdrony
25-10-08, 10:53 AM

Hi,
it maybe hydraulic clutch failure.
I will tell you my yesterday road testimony:

yesterday I was lying on the road to 40 miles from home.
data from the car:
astra t/ top 2.0 (petrol) 52000kms 56 months of life, with no guarantee
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/5239/24102008ef0.jpg
definitions of the problem:
ņi, ņi, rum sound problem to boot, always started well before as do the gasoline ones. it shows as loss of power in the boot, account unbalance rpm without power or speed.
as was driving, was heard a noise, increase speed without increasing the non-normal speed, odor and leave the highway, stop the car and left smoke from the engine. a smell of burnt clutch.
my surprise, and could not get the gears with the car running.
with the car stopped and turned off I can change the speeds; when I started the engine, clack are no longer was able to change the speeds.
The SID no messages.
I called the crane and back home to the OS.

ctrlz
25-10-08, 12:53 PM
I would consider the possibility of a vacuum leak in a 4 year old car. This will lean out the A/F mixture, and trouble is more pronounced at start and low rpm's. In modern cars the ECM does a phenomenal job of compensating, except at start. It would be worth checking the long term fuel trim with a scan tool.

If spark plugs have been changed recently I would also check to make sure they are all still tight.
Battery recently replaced, so there is a possibility the terminal clamps are loose.

If it is cranking but not starting, the problem is either lean mixture or poor spark. Spark timing is not typically an issue in modern cars. Some cars are prone to fuel condensation in the cylinders when parked overnight. Does not seem to be the case with our cars.