EGT Gauge Installed on SQR Stage 4 Aero [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: EGT Gauge Installed on SQR Stage 4 Aero

Steve Aero
24-02-06, 08:46 PM
I installed the thermocoupler in the exhaust manifold. I was wondering if any other tuners out there are monitoring their EGTs so we can compare measurements. This is what I have found so far:

idle: 950-1000 deg F
cruise set at 65 Mph: 1200 deg F
cruise set at 75 Mph: 1400 deg F
WOT pull: temp peaks at about 1500 deg F then falls back down
WOT on up hill: temp exceeds 1500 deg F

I have not hit 1600 deg F yet, nor do I want to. Not sure if I am running to hot which would mean too lean. The car pulls and has 256 Hp at the wheels based on the last dyno.

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Steve

saabkid37
25-02-06, 12:51 PM
i wouldnt worry about it being lean. Frank tunes it to dump fuel at the top end. It could be a little higher due to where your probe is...i still havent swapped my manifolds yet so i cant tell you my readings unfortunately

prionailurus
25-02-06, 02:00 PM
I can't find any saab specific temperatures, but what colour are the manifold and turbo? If it's all glowing then might be a little high, a little glowing here and there is fine.

Does a/your stage4 have an equal length manifold? as I think it would help EGT.

Steve Aero
25-02-06, 09:06 PM
Prionailurus,

I only get a glowing red turbo occassionally, only after very hard driving. I try to avoid that situation these days but performing some easy driving for afew minutes before shutting down.

Good call on themanifold. I have the stock manifold. I have been eyeballing the new Maptun SS exhaust manifold. It should help like you said. The only problem is the cost!

I am running a 3" downpipe but 2.5" from the Cat back. Maybe I should go 3" all the way.

Steve

prionailurus
25-02-06, 09:38 PM
'Just' a glowing turbo should be fine especially with the easy driving toward the end of a journey to let the coolants running through it to come back down to earth :roll:

Yeah, I like the maptun manifold but, it is a little pricey, which would probably make me go with a custom one instead.

3" all the way should help too, I've got JT d/p no cat, then s/s from d/p and only one silencer, at the back, it's not as noisey as most would think, but has a very 'dragster' type of note to it :cheesy: My spool is about as instant as it gets and top-end just keeps going, mine is an auto thus T25, so the TD04 should see a monsterous top end with a similar setup.

Personally I'd get the cat-back done before the manifold, but mainly because of cost. Having said that, the cat-back won't really make any difference to the temps up front, the manifold could though, and if you wanted, you could probably run another psi or 2 of boost with the manifold (I don't know what the boost on a stage4 is).

I'm curious, where did you get your stage4 from? The maptun one has a full 3" system on it.

saabkid37
26-02-06, 12:08 PM
yeah steve i forgot you had a 2.5...i would throw a 3 inch catback on and then talk to jon williams about a header...he built a template awhile ago and should be producing them for about 8-900 unlike the 1100 for jaks and over 1200 before shipping for maptuns.

-nathan

Steve Aero
26-02-06, 08:25 PM
Prion,

The software I have is Stage 4 from SQR (Stromqvist Racing). Nathan and I have the same software, although he may have upgraded to Stage 5 to accomodate his new green giant injectors. SQR Stage 4 is 308 BHP.

Nathan, You are right about the needing 3". The only reason I have not parted with the 2.5" is because it is SS, only 14 months old, and I paid good money for it from Swedish Dynamics. I got it before I went with new software. I did not know any better.

I will send you photos of the EGT and probe placement.

saabkid37
26-02-06, 10:44 PM
steve - you could prolly sell off the cat back somewhat easily if its full stainless...worth a shot atleast. i havent gone stage 5 yet...just answered you email tho :cheesy: