Simple Solution?? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Simple Solution??

grant1
24-02-06, 07:54 AM
I have just started my 900i Convertible for the first time since October. It started fine but when setting in motion it started to splutter and had no power. Is this a simple case of drying the distributer cap? also the exhaust fumes were very smokey. Any ideas on resolving this? It was running perfectly when I garaged it in October - Thanks.

Matthew
24-02-06, 08:10 AM
Could be there's no cold-start enrichment. Cracked/wet distributor car would cause a misfire under load.

A full service would be a good idea after the car's be sitting for so long.

Was the car garaged?

grant1
24-02-06, 08:11 AM
Yes the car has been garaged.

SteveTheFolkie
24-02-06, 08:40 AM
Did you use fuel stabalizer and fill the tank before you put the car away for a few months? If not you could have a bit of water in the gas (from condensation). Also, during storage the rings may have taken a set in their lands (on the pistions) which could give a loss of compression and some oil blow-by (oil getting into the combustion chambers) - they'll free themselves up after a bit of running OR you could try something like "marvels mystery oil" or other "top end" oil (which serves to free up rings - sometimes these things work - sometimes they don't).
You might also check the air cleaner box - sometimes small rodents (mice and the like) will take up residence in these areas and build nests - which will cause an over-rich condition (lack of air) when you start the car and run it.
It would seem unlikely that during storage a distributor cap would crack -
Best of luck

Steve

Inky
24-02-06, 09:37 AM
Did you use fuel stabalizer and fill the tank before you put the car away for a few months? If not you could have a bit of water in the gas (from condensation).

That would have been my question. I don't know how long it takes but gas degenerates. I have a Plymouth Voyager that sat for about a month and half with a blown head gasket and a full tank of gas. It's fixed now and starts and runs fine but mileage so far on that tank has been horrible. I've also noticed while pulling fuel-related items from my parts car that the gas in it smells very different than "fresh" gas.

-- Christian

Jim Mesthene
24-02-06, 09:51 AM
Depending on formulation, storage conditions, temperature etc., the following is generally true:

2 month old gas will work the same as new, 1 year old gas will work OK in most cars, 2 year old gas smells like varnish but will work in most car and truck engines. After that, the symptoms of old gas are: backfiring, hesitation, popping back through the intake, misfiring under load; the exhaust will smell awful.

Orca
24-02-06, 11:51 AM
I left my T8 for about three weeks over the Christmas period and found it to misfire under load. I changed the distributor cap and rotor arm (for good measure, since it looked a little old) and that sorted the problem. I think for what they cost, you might as well buy new anyway.