Help! Vegas to the Grand Canyon [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Help! Vegas to the Grand Canyon

Albert Trout
20-02-06, 10:06 AM
Going to Las Vegas later this week and we thought we'd better go and see the Grand Canyon this time, so I've hired a car, (21 including a free tank of fuel -unbelievable). My question is, in the UK we've got a few sites that'll tell you exactly how to get from one Post (ZIP) code to another. I'm sure there are a number of US equivalents, can anyone recommend the best one so I can get something printed off before I go.

MichSaab
20-02-06, 10:07 AM
www.mapquest.com (http://www.mapquest.com)

Albert Trout
20-02-06, 10:13 AM
Fanatastic. Thanks very much :D

ShadowWorks
20-02-06, 10:56 AM
Albert you can't get lost:lol: its all highways and its so simple, not like the UK at all.

I wanted to go to CA but i could not find a cheap ticket:roll:

SaabScott
20-02-06, 11:15 AM
One thing to keep in mind, it takes approximately 5-6 hours each way.

We were there in October last year and considered it ... but we reconsidered once we realized how far it was ...

schernov
20-02-06, 11:59 AM
Going to Las Vegas later this week and we thought we'd better go and see the Grand Canyon this time, so I've hired a car, (21 including a free tank of fuel -unbelievable). My question is, in the UK we've got a few sites that'll tell you exactly how to get from one Post (ZIP) code to another. I'm sure there are a number of US equivalents, can anyone recommend the best one so I can get something printed off before I go.

try maps on google. Just paste in your destination address and it will show you the map. Then you can enter screen where you can get directions.
Also, which rental co did you book? If you got Hertz, you can get a portable NAV system through them. It's not that great but good enough.

KevinC
20-02-06, 01:24 PM
Rent a fast car.

Keep the gas tank above 1/3. can get a long ways between stations...enjoy!!!

Albert Trout
20-02-06, 02:09 PM
I realise it's a long drive, but it'll be pretty relaxed when I get out on the open road, and I think it'll be worth it. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Sha, my main concern was/is getting out of Las Vegas heading in the right direction, and on the right, or is it left, side of the road :D

bernardc
20-02-06, 03:43 PM
If you stick to the wrong side of the road you'll be all left. :)
It really is easy to get there from LV with only a handful of junctions. You could go the long way around and stick to the interstates, but I would use the more direct route from LV to pick up I40 at Kingman. It goes via Boulder City and Hoover Dam. Its a good road with light traffic and the main bonus is that the road actually crosses Hoover Dam. Yes, the dam is part of the road! There are plenty of places to stop and gawp, which is of course great practice for the Grand Canyon. While your are out that way why not visit Meteor Crater near Flagstaff? It would be a shame to go all the way to the Grand Canyon and not go the extra mile (or 80) to Monument Valley. Of course if you go that far you might as well loop back around via southern Utah to LV taking in Bryce Canyon, Valley of Fire etc etc. In fact why not just visit these amazing places with a side trip to LV?

ShadowWorks
20-02-06, 06:47 PM
Its not 6 hours, unless you cycle there:lol: making sure you have a full tank is important and make sure your Air con is working, you may end up in Death Valley by mistake and cook yourself:o

You live only once and you may never get another chance to do this, so I am telling you to go wild and bust your piggy bank, its the only way to live:cheesy:

Skip
20-02-06, 07:22 PM
Believe it or not, bring winter clothes! The rim of the GC is very cold this time of year. If you hike into the canyon, it gets progressively warmer as you descend, but the south rim, at 6000' - 7000' elevation, is darn cold. The north rim is about 1000' higher and even colder.

Do go by way of Hoover Dam (it's the shortest route to the south rim, anyway, I think) and loop around through Lee's Ferry and check out southern Utah if you have the time. I'm not sure if the north rim is open to tourists in winter or not, but it's even more spectacular and much less visited than the south rim. It's much more remote and takes a while to get to.