Brake Upgrade? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Brake Upgrade?

turbosb
07-02-03, 02:18 PM
Hey all I was wondering if anyone has cross drilled brake rotors or slotted rotors? What are your guys opinions on them, cross drilled vs slotted vs both vs regular? What is the best for me to get, or should I just stick with regular pads and rotors? I am a 20 yr old who drives like a bat outta hell so I go through brakes quickly. I am also a college student though, who is looking for the best "bang for my buck". Anyone have the Zimmerman Cross Drilled brake rotors w/ PBR metal master pads and any opinions on them?
Thanks for any info!

Kyle

ragtopcav
07-02-03, 02:28 PM
No comment on the particular makes as I'm pretty sure we don't have them in the UK, but slotted discs without X-drills offer the best all around road performance, cross drilled discs tend to form ridges in the long run so they need re-skimming to keep them flat.

pade900
08-02-03, 08:41 AM
I have TarOx slotted discs and TarOx pads and they work really well both when driving normally and when driving hard ! Haven't tried X-Drilled so don't know about them...

turboman
08-02-03, 12:47 PM
The Viggens came standard with slotted discs and uprated calipers. They are very good brakes and work well. As they are larger than normal the minimum wheel size is 16".

turbosb
09-02-03, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! I have been talking to people and most suggest getting just slotted. So here's my next question: Where is the US should I go to get slotted rotors and new pads? How much will they run me? Thanks again all!
BTW I have a 1995 900SE.

Kyle

pade900
09-02-03, 03:15 PM
Speedparts (http://www.speedparts.se) have some nice discs and pads..I bought my TarOx discs and pads from them. Taliaferro Saab (http://www.genuinesaab.com/) seems to be the US dealer for their stuff so try them !

pillsy151
09-02-03, 03:40 PM
I've got a similar question. If i get 18" wheels, will I need bigger brakes? will the cross drilled rotors do? I was going to use zimmerman, but hear they warp a lot. i would like to find out more about the brembo's if you guys have some insight, particularly, what's the best place to buy them?

pade900
10-02-03, 02:21 PM
If you get 18" wheels you won't NEED bigger brakes but you CAN fit them !! :!

dasaabguy
10-02-03, 05:35 PM
I have 18" rims on my ng900 and am also running the zimmerman crossdrilled rotors! I looked all over for slotted rotors but could not find any for a saab! I settled for the drilled, however these are known to crack with age.

As for performance they dont make much of a difference with stock pads and stock calipers! In my opinion....

good luck :cheesy:

ragtopcav
12-02-03, 04:52 PM
Eurocarparts do Mintex C-tech pads for NG900's these are very good but i dread to think what postage to the US/Canada would be.
www.eurocarparts.com
I will probably be going for these pads with all 'round slotted rotors in the spring.