Loom trouble..... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Loom trouble.....

Carlsson900
7th February 2006, 05:02 AM
My temp gauge was running very hot recently, although my mechanic assured me that once it didn't actually hit the red, it was fine (???) didn't sound right to me, and as I was driving home on friday night, on the narrowest country road (typical...) the car was running into the red, when it just died....
I still maintained power, with lights and hazards and radio working, but just a pathetic click from the engine!
After waiting for 2 long hours for the RAC, and a long conversation with cdaly (many thanks...) the car was carried home on the back of a tow truck to my home and my whole set of in-laws over from America.... (AAAAArrrggghhhh...)
Any way....in the cold light of day, it looks like the loom fried against the engine head!
The Saab mechanic after several deep breath intakes said " it could be anything really"....
How "major" a job is it to reoplace the loom, seeing as I managed to get one fairly quickly....?

Si
7th February 2006, 08:48 AM
More of a PITA than anything i would have though, if i were you i'd spend a day labling up all the connectors so when you do the swap you can match colour wire/connectors to the right bit, there are quite a few similar plugs on the loom so you need to make sure that you get them going to the right connector.

jetman
7th February 2006, 09:14 AM
Oh my God I'd go crazy trying to do that job! Good luck!

Carlsson900
7th February 2006, 09:19 AM
Oh nooooooooooooo....

I have a chap doing that for me....
Don't do electrics!

jetman
7th February 2006, 09:20 AM
Me neither! I don't have much patience.

Matthew
7th February 2006, 09:44 AM
I'd say it's a fairly involved job, simply because there's so much stuff you'd have to remove in order to lift out the old loom and fit a new one. It's time consuming more than difficult.

Might be "easier" to repair the loom, unless it's really fried.