P: Ignition lock [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: P: Ignition lock

heavy_t
5th February 2003, 06:50 AM
My car being a '73 has the real old-school type lock and keys (i.e., not the ones found on later 99s and all C900s) - recently I have had trouble getting the key out of the ignition. It takes a lot of wiggling and turning the key back and forth. I have sprayed enough WD40 down there to sink a ship but it hasn't helped much.

Anyone got any ideas??? I'm worried about breaking the key and/or lock!

Sparky
5th February 2003, 07:07 AM
can't think of anything to help but I know the floor mounted ignitions are a a bit sucseptible to getting clogged up with fluff, fag ash, biscuits etc.

kemosaabey
5th February 2003, 01:45 PM
They're the same locks as the 96.

There's a small hair spring in the ignition lock that can cause jams, you really need to strip it down and have a look. On my last '81 99 sometimes I couldn't remove the key when parked on hills, weird...

heavy_t
6th February 2003, 02:55 AM
I'm wondering also whether my loose handbrake cable's getting in the way of things......

adman
7th February 2003, 08:51 AM
I, as we all do, love having the ig key in the centre, yes?
Cos its different.
However it is such a crap place really, I can hardly find mine for all the crap and **** and friggin' (I just wanna see what get censured out here :o ) dust and crumbs that collect as if by magic all around it - no matter how hard you try! Put wd40 in there and bingo! paste that'll set like glue in your ignition. I know I go through much WD40 cos I can't think of any other

sorry rant over, my advice is get another key cut now. a spare so when / if it brakes, at least you can get home (assuming you can get it outta the lock)

heavy_t
7th February 2003, 08:55 AM
It is starting to improve a little but I was thinking of getting a third key cut, leaving one in the ignition, locking the doors with the other, and one spare.

Don't know what the insurance co. would say though if it got nicked (which is admittedly unlikely)

adman
7th February 2003, 09:00 AM
Could do, I'd be a bit worried, though.
I s'pose you could always chuck a bit of old rag over it or sumat to keep those little scally eyes of of it (specially as they'll all be looking in the wrong place anyway) however still a bit of a risk

heavy_t
21st February 2003, 10:20 AM
They're the same locks as the 96.

There's a small hair spring in the ignition lock that can cause jams, you really need to strip it down and have a look. On my last '81 99 sometimes I couldn't remove the key when parked on hills, weird...

Well,
The situation has improved, but now I can't get the key out if it's facing uphill, but it comes out first time on downhills. When the car's on the level it only takes a couple of waggles ( :o ) but that'll do me.

kevitree
21st February 2003, 04:37 PM
remember the ignition key locks the gearbox of the vehicle in reverse.

therefore could the adjustment be messed up allowing the pressure applied on hills to vary on the selector shaft??

SAAB sell an ign cog set which always used to be a high seller, and you can repolace the ign barrel seperatley.